Thread: 2018 TV times announced

I'd rather have 10% of the world interested in the ICS than 50% of US that NASCAR currently has

Prepare for the ABC mail it in year.
    2018 Silly Season scorecard and Where are the Indy 500 winning cars! http://inrd.gotdns.com/indystuff/

Quote Originally Posted by PaddockMoose View Post
    lets hope and pray this is the last year we have to suffer through Always Bad Coverage
    World's biggest Ryan Hunter-Reay fan!

Born in 1992, I've been lucky enough to have attended every '500 since 2000. Milwaukee (RIP) from 2003 - 2015, Iowa 2007-present, Long Beach 2016, Road America 1998-2007, 2016-present,
    Michigan 500 (RIP): 1997-2001 and Mid-Ohio in 2008

looking forward to the use of the new cameras and camera positions for the 2018 UAK. I think some shots will be cool, i can't remember the last time we had a nose camera, but i used to love those in older broadcasts. Love the fact they are starting iowa sooner this year, and gateway.

I agree though about ABC... this will absolutely be the mail it in year for them, if you thought race coverage was bad in the past... But hey this might be INDYCAR way of getting fans to buy tickets to go to the races so they don't have to watch it on ABC lol

Registered User David_Skywalker's Avatar
    So nothing has really changed since '05... good to know.
    Just wait 'till next year!

Quote Originally Posted by David_Skywalker View Post
    So nothing has really changed since '05... good to know.
    the icing on the cake would be if they brought back Rusty Wallace and Todd Harris, just to annoy us.

After last year's purge, I'm half expecting ABC to employ some of those text-to-speech bots used to narrate those clickbaity YouTube videos.

ESPN has already decided on the on-air staff for 2018. It will be announced soon.

The biggest thing to note on this schedule is that no races are airing on CNBC this year, which is good.

If you don't like the announcers on one network or another (or both), you can always listen to the radio coverage with the TV picture. If you don't like the radio coverage, either, I will, for no charge, Skype you my wretched, misinformed commentary to teach you to appreciate what you're given.

Quote Originally Posted by Pumblechook View Post
    ESPN has already decided on the on-air staff for 2018. It will be announced soon.
    FWIW I tweeted at Richard Deitsch. He's an SI writer who does an excellent job reporting on sports broadcasting to see if he had heard anything.

Insider
    Quote Originally Posted by RHRfan#1 View Post
    the icing on the cake would be if they brought back Rusty Wallace and Todd Harris, just to annoy us.
    Rusty at least seemed to really enjoy calling the races and respected the drivers. I liked him. JMO.

why is Barber listed as an oval?

Quote Originally Posted by houstonracefan View Post
    why is Barber listed as an oval?
    For the same reason Phoenix is listed as a road course: typo.
    "Only a fool fights in a burning house."-Kang

"If you listen to fools....The Maaahhhhb Ruuuules....."-Ronnie James Dio

As is tradition!

Quote Originally Posted by acfinn View Post
    Rusty at least seemed to really enjoy calling the races and respected the drivers. I liked him. JMO.
    He had a lot of concussions during his career.

IMHO,

- I will be very interested to see who ABC gets to do the races this year (as they fired everybody who knows anything about motorsports in their purge). I think we all agree about ABC and at least we can see the light at the end of the tunnel.

- One big change I see is they went to a night race at Phoenix, rather then last year's foolish idea of going directly against The Masters, which was ratings and attention suicide. Also going to a Saturday night race and not directly against the Canadian Gran Prix is smart.

The biggest thing to note on this schedule is that no races are airing on CNBC this year, which is good.
    I was, as ever, wrong.

While all races are listed as NBCSN, Mid-Ohio conflicts with NASCAR at Pocono on NBCSN, so it will have to be on CNBC again.

Quote Originally Posted by SamC View Post
    - I will be very interested to see who ABC gets to do the races this year (as they fired everybody who knows anything about motorsports in their purge).
    This isn't true, on a lot of levels.

Four ESPN employees covered IndyCar on TV in 2017: Allen Bestwick, Jerry Punch, Lindsay Czarniak, and Marty Smith.

Bestwick and Punch were laid off. Either or both may return as contractors in 2018. Czarniak chose to leave the network rather than renew her contract. Smith is (unfortunately for viewers) still with the network.

Scott Goodyear, Eddie Cheever, Rick DeBruhl, and Jon Beekhuis were contractors in 2017. They might return in 2018 on that basis; they might not. That's not any different from any other year, though. They've all been year-to-year since at least 2009 (I'm not sure if Goodyear used to be an ESPN employee when IndyCar was a full-season property).

There's also the fact that, while not IndyCar personalities, ESPN has not laid off motorsports (your word) experts like Bob Pockrass and Ricky Craven.

Finally, ESPN still has a relationship with, alphabetically:

Michelle Beisner-Buck (former Champ Car pit reporter; used to work the Grand Prix of Denver)
    Nicole Briscoe (previously hosted ESPN's NASCAR coverage; worked in IndyCar/with IMSRN prior to that; married to Ryan; goddaughter of Ken Squier)
    Dan Dakich (I know this forum hates him and thinks he hates the 500, but hey, he's covered it)
    Brad Daugherty (former NASCAR analyst and both current and former NASCAR team owner)
    Chris Fowler (former NASCAR on ESPN host)
    Suzy Kolber (former NASCAR on ESPN host)
    Kenny Mayne (former RPM2night host)
    Ryan McGee (NASCAR writer who has covered the Indy 500 for ESPN the last few years)
    David Newton (former NASCAR writer)
    Katie Nolan (covered the Daytona 500 pretty visibly for FOX once)

And Disney employs Alfonso Ribeiro, who raced Barber Dodge a few times in the late 90s. A new Jason Priestley for us?

Anyway:

You may see ESPN use:

(1) The 2017 team, without Czarniak, as contractors. Nicole Briscoe seems like the logical substitute for Czarniak.

(2) A team provided by IndyCar/IMS Productions. Names like Kevin Lee, Katie Hargitt, and Jon Beekhuis would come to mind for that. They may also combine some of their 2017 contractors (like Goodyear and DeBruhl) and fill in the gaps with IndyCar-related contractors. The only people really off-limits here are those who are actually NBC employees (like Leigh Diffey). I also don't think ESPN would approve Robin Miller on the telecasts, though he's not an NBC employee.

(3) Current ESPN talent to fill in the gaps. The truth is that they only need a lap-by-lap announcer, a host, and one reporter to fill the gaps they have. These roles could all be accomplished by someone without much or even any motorsports experience. I know people consider that mailing it in, but it isn't unprecedented. A lot of names not known for motor racing called 70s and 80s IndyCar and NASCAR races on TV, and we've dumped our motorsports announcers on other sports, too (e.g., Sam Posey on the Tour de France; Bob Varsha on that event as well as figure-skating). I don't consider it likely, but it is also possible that Rick DeBruhl could do the lap-by-lap (he has done this for F1 on both ESPN and SPEED, as well as sports car and stock car races on ESPN), as pit reporter is an easier role for someone without motorsports experience (I am not diminishing pit reporters—but the modern-day report of "four Firestone tires and full of Sunoco fuel" isn't very insight-heavy, and interviewing is interviewing).

(4) For something really out there, ABC could have The Bachelor and former Indy Lights on Versus analyst Arie Luyendyk, Jr., involved.

I think we all agree about ABC and at least we can see the light at the end of the tunnel.
    All can agree but me. I like ABC's coverage of IndyCar racing. I find it soothing.

on a positive note... Iowa gets a better start time. Hopefully the crowds come back.

Cant wait to see the crackerjacks they find on ABC since the purge happened.
    No CNBC is a really good thing.

Bob Pockrass
    Ricky Craven
    Michelle Beisner-Buck
    Nicole Briscoe
    Dan Dakich
    Brad Daugherty
    Chris Fowler
    Suzy Kolber
    Kenny Mayne
    Ryan McGee
    David Newton
    Katie Nolan
    Alfonso Ribeiro
    Real whos-who of open wheel motorsports journalism you got listed there.

I honestly think that if there was a death, which is probably the only reason ESPN would dane to take 25 seconds of SportsCenter time away from droning on about the NBA outside of Memorial Day, most of the information would be taken straight from Wikipedia. I doubt anybody in the building could tell an Indy Car from a Formula One car, and very few could tell you the difference between Indy and NASCAR.

I can guarantee you Marty Smith will be there. He's been at the last two. I like him and they just announced they re-upped his contract.

Real whos-who of open wheel motorsports journalism you got listed there.

I honestly think that if there was a death, which is probably the only reason ESPN would dane to take 25 seconds of SportsCenter time away from droning on about the NBA outside of Memorial Day, most of the information would be taken straight from Wikipedia. I doubt anybody in the building could tell an Indy Car from a Formula One car, and very few could tell you the difference between Indy and NASCAR.
    You said ESPN fired everyone who knows anything about motorsports. Those people all know something about motorsports. If you want to change the game to “no one at ESPN is among the who’s who of open-wheel journalism” because you were wrong in thinking the entire IndyCar team was let go, that’s your deal.

You’re also wrong about SC coverage. They do a quick preview on Friday every time there’s a race on ABC that weekend.

Anyway:

Expect Allen Bestwick, Scott Goodyear, Rick DeBruhl, and Jon Beekhuis back. Marty Smith at Indy. I’d guess Nicole Briscoe hosting. Eddie Cheever might be back; he might not. I would not be shocked to see Townsend Bell instead. Doc might also be back; if not, Kevin Lee or Katie Hargitt are going to be the favorites for third reporter. All told, no worse a team than 2017.

Bestwick retweeted Andy Hall’s announcement of ESPN’s 2018 coverage on ABC, fwiw, and has kept up with IndyCar in many, many ways, offline and on.

Quote Originally Posted by ilikemarbles View Post
    Cant wait to see the crackerjacks they find on ABC since the purge happened.
    No CNBC is a really good thing.
    There was no IndyCar purge. Two people on-air got laid off. Two. Nothing stops either from returning as contractors, though I think Allen is more likely than Doc in that regard.

I was wrong, by the way. Mid-Ohio will be on CNBC.

request that ABC get Steve Matchett for the coverage

ESPN still has Rece Davis, he used to host RPM Tonight, but he's gone way up on the ESPN totem pole and I doubt he would cover motorsports at this point in his career.

Best news is moving the Iowa race time to a decent hour on a Sunday afternoon
    "Paff has been closer to the mark than anyone will give him credit for."

Richard Kimble 11/18/2010

"Paff is far more right than any of you will EVER give him credit for.

As non politically correct and un IndyCar friendly as it is, it's the truth. "

SeeuInMay 12/29/2010

For what it's worth:

(1) ESPN producer Jim Gaiero tweeted to Eddie Cheever that he is looking forward to another year of working together. Andy Hall from ESPN tweeted happy birthday to Eddie Cheever a few days ago, describing him as "IndyCar analyst" and plugging the GP of St. Pete on ABC. Hall previously tweeted that ESPN had already decided on their team. So, it seems logical to assume Cheever is part of the 2018 team. Also, Cheever, Goodyear, DeBruhl, and Beekhuis still appear on the ESPN MediaZone page, which doesn't mean a lot, but still.

(2) Allen Bestwick recently tweeted that he will be on TV a bit in 2018 and that his plans will be announced soon. Andy Hall had tweeted a few days before than ESPN would announce their 2018 IndyCar team "soon" as well. Bestwick's recent Twitter likes and follows continue to be heavily about IndyCar and the GP of St. Pete. He even retweeted Hall's tweet announcing ESPN's 2018 coverage!

Therefore:

I think it is safe to conclude Bestwick, Goodyear, Cheever, DeBruhl, and Beekhuis are all back as contractors in 2018.

I think it is safe to conclude ESPN employee Marty Smith will be on the Indy 500 pre-race show.

The only wildcards are the third pit reporter (could well be Jerry Punch again as a contractor) and the host (Lindsay Czarniak left ESPN). I think Nicole Briscoe makes the most sense in that role.

For what it's worth:

(1) ESPN producer Jim Gaiero tweeted to Eddie Cheever that he is looking forward to another year of working together. Andy Hall from ESPN tweeted happy birthday to Eddie Cheever a few days ago, describing him as "IndyCar analyst" and plugging the GP of St. Pete on ABC. Hall previously tweeted that ESPN had already decided on their team. So, it seems logical to assume Cheever is part of the 2018 team. Also, Cheever, Goodyear, DeBruhl, and Beekhuis still appear on the ESPN MediaZone page, which doesn't mean a lot, but still.

(2) Allen Bestwick recently tweeted that he will be on TV a bit in 2018 and that his plans will be announced soon. Andy Hall had tweeted a few days before than ESPN would announce their 2018 IndyCar team "soon" as well. Bestwick's recent Twitter likes and follows continue to be heavily about IndyCar and the GP of St. Pete. He even retweeted Hall's tweet announcing ESPN's 2018 coverage!

Therefore:

I think it is safe to conclude Bestwick, Goodyear, Cheever, DeBruhl, and Beekhuis are all back as contractors in 2018.

I think it is safe to conclude ESPN employee Marty Smith will be on the Indy 500 pre-race show.

The only wildcards are the third pit reporter (could well be Jerry Punch again as a contractor) and the host (Lindsay Czarniak left ESPN). I think Nicole Briscoe makes the most sense in that role.
    thank you for the update! Hopefully this is the last year we have to suffer through Always Bad Coverage