Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Alonso hoping to return in 2019

Quote Originally Posted by fenderless View Post
    Alonso's 2018 contract pays him an extra $5 million to forego another try at the 500 and race in Monaco, courtesy of new engine supplier Renault.
    Interesting. Could you link to story on this?

Quote Originally Posted by houstonracefan View Post
    didn't Alonso bring his F1 sponsors to Indy last year?

He'd have zero issues finding funding
    That's what I assumed.

Quote Originally Posted by RTS7 View Post
    Here comes Team Chevy with his bucket of chum, right on time.

The 24 Hours of Daytona is nowhere near as big of a race as the Indy 500, so this is a pretty inapt comparison. And no one has ever said it is, so I'm not sure what point you're trying to prove here (other than stirring up your usual crap).

The fact you "didn't even realize that Alonso was coming to the Daytona race this weekend" certainly helps out you as someone totally disconnected from the motorsports world at-large, as this story has been discussed at length on Racer, Motorsport, and a variety of other racing websites.
    Yeah, the Daytona 24 has had a pretty low profile for some time now. I started watching it during the DP era - back then, all the top Le Mans sports car teams skipped Daytona and used the ALMS Sebring race as their big Le Mans test. So I got used to seeing the D24 as a kind of backwater event in a backwater series - fun, but insignificant.

I guess it's a bigger deal since the ALMS merger, but still has small crowds and TV audiences. There has been a bunch of news coverage over Alonso, but I suspect that's because he's using it as a warmup for Le Mans, not because the international media is very interested in the D24.

Only the first couple of hours of the Daytona 24 hours are on free TV....the rest is on FS1 or FS2 or the FOX app. The Daytona 24 has more of a fun race for the drivers that usually aren't regulars in the series. I remember the race used to have a slightly bigger profile during the 80's and 90's IMSA days when they had the GTP cars.

Quote Originally Posted by LAindycarfan80 View Post
    Only the first couple of hours of the Daytona 24 hours are on free TV....the rest is on FS1 or FS2 or the FOX app. The Daytona 24 has more of a fun race for the drivers that usually aren't regulars in the series. I remember the race used to have a slightly bigger profile during the 80's and 90's IMSA days when they had the GTP cars.
    Yeah, I got the impression that it used to be a pretty big race in the sports car world, once upon a time.

Quote Originally Posted by LAindycarfan80 View Post
    Not really. Those races were strictly on cable, either TBS or ESPN. When FOX put the first couple of hours on the regular network it was the first time I can remember it was ever on network TV.

I think one reason why it's a fun race for those drivers is, along with the challenge and competition, they aren't The Man. They don't have the weight of the full responsibility on their shoulders. Jimmie Johnson said as much. He said in the 24 he's just a member of the team, it's not all up to him. He can just relax and race without being the center of attention.
    The Ayn Rand of Indycar

No one had to badge the Offy.

Crapping all over threads since 2000.

He raced last May because he was out of contention in F1. If he’s not in contention in F1 for the 2018 season, We May see Alonso move to Indycar full time.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveL View Post
    Not really. Those races were strictly on cable, either TBS or ESPN. When FOX put the first couple of hours on the regular network it was the first time I can remember it was ever on network TV.

I think one reason why it's a fun race for those drivers is, along with the challenge and competition, they aren't The Man. They don't have the weight of the full responsibility on their shoulders. Jimmie Johnson said as much. He said in the 24 he's just a member of the team, it's not all up to him. He can just relax and race without being the center of attention.
    I'm talking about the coverage now...
    I don't think it was ever on free TV back before FOX acquired the rights. Heck, it was barely covered when it was on ESPN.

I have never thought of the Daytona 24 being as important a race, as prestigious an event, as Sebring. I think Sebring draws a lot more spectators, but I could be wrong. But I do understand why Alonso wants to experience a 24-hr race before tackling Le Mans.

I much prefer watching sports cars on the Sebring circuit.

Quote Originally Posted by mainemandean View Post
    I have never thought of the Daytona 24 being as important a race, as prestigious an event, as Sebring. I think Sebring draws a lot more spectators, but I could be wrong. But I do understand why Alonso wants to experience a 24-hr race before tackling Le Mans.

I much prefer watching sports cars on the Sebring circuit.
    I haven't watched sports cars for a while now, but I used to love the Sebring ALMS race. That and Le Mans were my 2 big sports car moments of the year.

I enjoyed driving Sebring in rFactor, too. It's much trickier than it looks on TV ... .

Quote Originally Posted by houstonracefan View Post
    didn't Alonso bring his F1 sponsors to Indy last year?
    What I recall was that they put McLaren's F1 sponsors on the car as a bit of a favor to them. There was no additional cost to the sponsors for Alonso's cameo appearance in the 500.
    "I would really like to go to NASCAR. I really enjoy NASCAR and if I could be there in a couple of years that's where I'd want to be." - Jeff Gordon (after testing a Formula Super Vee)

It seems unlikely that Alonso will be at Indy in 2019 - unless either the Renault engine suddenly becomes dramatically less competitive than it is now; or the dates of Monaco/Indy are changed.

Quote Originally Posted by Spike View Post
    What I recall was that they put McLaren's F1 sponsors on the car as a bit of a favor to them. There was no additional cost to the sponsors for Alonso's cameo appearance in the 500.
    Not really a favor, more a trade, since the sponsors didn't have Alonso at Monaco.

Did McLaren remove the sponsors' logos from the car when Button filled in at Monaco?

Check out this article from motorsport.com entitled: "Alonso Indy 500 sponsors get free deals to offset F1 woes."

Alonso's Andretti Autosport-run Dallara-Honda is almost entirely bedecked in McLaren's traditional colours and covered with stickers representing the F1's team's partners.

McLaren executive director Zak Brown said the outfit felt offering the branding without additional cost helped offset the loss of exposure sponsors have encountered through the team's struggles in F1.

"It's something we're doing as part of our larger motor racing programme to deliver for our partners," he said. "It isn't anything we have charged them incrementally for.
    https://www.motorsport.com/indycar/n...claren-910379/
    Last edited by Spike; 01-07-2018 at 03:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Boweimer View Post
    He raced last May because he was out of contention in F1. If he’s not in contention in F1 for the 2018 season, We May see Alonso move to Indycar full time.
    Whilst I would love to see Alonso in IndyCar full-time, if he did leave F1, I think a far more likely scenario would be moving to WEC full-time and running the Indy 500 as well because there would be no clash. Maybe he could run some additional races as well depending on his schedule.

The Rolex 24 is an huge event in sports cars, and the only one that attracts a large number of big names from other series. Alonso coming this year is a slightly bigger deal than the other guest drivers, but it's not an unusual event like it was at Indy. I can't wait, it's going to be a cracking start to the racing season.

Personally, I would much rather see a full time ride awarded to a halfway decent American driver who works his arse off continuously promoting the series rather than fretting about a couple of potential novelty acts.
    Last edited by Defender; 01-07-2018 at 08:10 AM.
    Supporting Indy Car racing since 1959

Quote Originally Posted by GRW1983 View Post
    Whilst I would love to see Alonso in IndyCar full-time, if he did leave F1, I think a far more likely scenario would be moving to WEC full-time and running the Indy 500 as well because there would be no clash. Maybe he could run some additional races as well depending on his schedule.
    If by 2019, Indycar safety comes up with a viable head protection system, you could have even more drivers seriously consider Indycar. You may even see more sponsors.

Quote Originally Posted by Defender View Post
    Personally, I would much rather see a full time ride awarded to a halfway decent American driver who works his arse off continuously promoting the series rather than fretting about a couple of potential novelty acts.
    Novelty acts who will massively promote the series to the rest of the racing world? If Conor Daly won the 500 or got a full time ride, very few people in Europe would care or reply "Didn't he do GP2 a few years ago?". If Alonso won, there would be far more interest in the series than Conor Daly would ever be able to generate doing TV features to people who couldn't care less about racing.

This is the effect of one of your "novelty" acts in the UK alone. https://f1broadcasting.co/2017/05/29...03000-viewers/

If Alonso is serious about winning the 500, he needs to be in a full-time IndyCar ride. That's not an ultimatum or any sort of "he's not good enough yet." It's just that, if you're serious about something, you've got to do it right. The right way to do it is to understand, better than anyone, the car. You can learn a lot in a month, but the full-time guys have that much of an edge on him.

If he were to win it without a full-time ride, it'd be luck, or very good team planning. He wouldn't be winning it as much as circumstance or his team. Which, I mean, it counts for what he wants: that credit towards the Triple Crown. But I dunno...

If he wants to control his destiny, his best chance to do that is a full-time ride.
    "I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Can I put my feet out the window? Man, you really like Tide..."

Quote Originally Posted by AcrossThePond View Post
    Novelty acts who will massively promote the series to the rest of the racing world?
    I enjoyed the heck out watching Alonso run not just in the race from my perch high in B-stand, but most days the track was open in its limited May run. He approached the task with enthusiasm, respect and hard work. He was a class act. But given the breathless hype, it remained a novelty act.

If Conor Daly won the 500 or got a full time ride, very few people in Europe would care or reply "Didn't he do GP2 a few years ago?".
    And the lives of most casual fans in the United States would also remain just as casual. Not many would care what anyone in Europe might think about Conor Daly, or anything else.

If Alonso won, there would be far more interest in the series than Conor Daly would ever be able to generate doing TV features to people who couldn't care less about racing.
    I would be curious about how that potential enthusiasm would be monetized. Would attendance at American venues increase? How about merchandise sales? I know that when Takuma Sato won last year, merchandise sales exploded across Japan.

This is the effect of one of your "novelty" acts in the UK alone. https://f1broadcasting.co/2017/05/29...03000-viewers/
    Excellent. How much more sponsorship revenue and/or ad sales revenue did that/will that bring to IndyCar? That is all that really matters.

Quote Originally Posted by uncommonsense52 View Post
    If Alonso is serious about winning the 500, he needs to be in a full-time IndyCar ride. That's not an ultimatum or any sort of "he's not good enough yet." It's just that, if you're serious about something, you've got to do it right. The right way to do it is to understand, better than anyone, the car. You can learn a lot in a month, but the full-time guys have that much of an edge on him.

If he were to win it without a full-time ride, it'd be luck, or very good team planning. He wouldn't be winning it as much as circumstance or his team. Which, I mean, it counts for what he wants: that credit towards the Triple Crown. But I dunno...

If he wants to control his destiny, his best chance to do that is a full-time ride.

Alonso does not need to run the series full time just to win Indy. I think some of you think he needs to but he does not in my opinion. Indy is a track like no other that is run during the year. What good would running at Barber help him prepare for Indy? It just makes no sense. He is a good enough driver to just do Indy only.
    RIP Justin! WWJCD

The original Servia fan numetalbizkit's Avatar
    If Alonso is serious about winning the 500, he needs to be in a full-time IndyCar ride.
    Respectfully, did we watch the same Indy 500 last year? The one I watched saw him with a very good chance until the car let him down.
    In IndyCar, I suppose you're right, but I think his only interest is in the 500.
    I am a fan of the Verizon IndyCar Series, Formula 1, and AMA Supercross. Go Oriol, Seabass, RHR, and J.R.

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Grigson View Post
    Alonso does not need to run the series full time just to win Indy. I think some of you think he needs to but he does not in my opinion. Indy is a track like no other that is run during the year. What good would running at Barber help him prepare for Indy? It just makes no sense. He is a good enough driver to just do Indy only.
    and

Quote Originally Posted by numetalbizkit View Post
    Respectfully, did we watch the same Indy 500 last year? The one I watched saw him with a very good chance until the car let him down.

In IndyCar, I suppose you're right, but I think his only interest is in the 500.

Certainly he can do Indy only, he's talented enough to finish Top 5. But to put himself in the best position, he'll need to know the car as best as he can.

It can be argued his retirement last year could be due to inexperience with the car. You get those subtle intuitions about what the engine likes. What rpm is the perfect time to shift for the gear box to stay working.

You get all those little quirks into the database between the ears.

How far back do you have to go before a non-regular won the Indy 500? Someone without a full-season contract ever in IndyCar/CART/USAC? Someone who hadn't been racing in the car, with the team, they were in for more than one race?

Wheldon wasn't a full-timer in 2011, but certainly had a ton of experience in the car from years prior.

Maybe you could argue Montoya in 2000, but he was with his Ganassi crew that won him a CART Championship.

So who was it who last just showed up, from a completely different racing scene, and won?

Graham Hill, 1966? Is there someone more recent than that?

And then you have to ask yourself: for as good as Alonso is, is he Graham Hill in 1966 good?

A full time ride in a mostly swirly series will not help him for Indy plain and simple. He does not need to waste his time doing that for one race. He's that good!

A full time ride in a mostly swirly series will not help him for Indy plain and simple. He does not need to waste his time doing that for one race. He's that good!
    I think you underrate how much knowing the car itself is a factor.

I think you underrate how much knowing the car itself is a factor.
    No I think you underestimate a real driver who pretty much came over at looked like he fit in . I think you will feel better if he comes here full time. He does not need to ever do that just for Indy. It makes no sense.

It can be argued his retirement last year could be due to inexperience with the car.
    Yes, that could be argued. And it would be a very weak argument for which there is no evidence to support it. If you argue that the Alonso's engine gave up because of his inexperience with the car, then you have a very hard time explaining why the Hondas in RHR and Charlie Kimball's car also blew. Surely neither of those drivers lack experience.

No I think you underestimate a real driver who pretty much came over at looked like he fit in . I think you will feel better if he comes here full time. He does not need to ever do that just for Indy. It makes no sense.
    Okey doke!

Either way, I like Fernando. I like that he came over here. And respect the hell out of him for it. He'll always be on my "hope he wins" list.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveL View Post
    Yes, that could be argued. And it would be a very weak argument for which there is no evidence to support it. If you argue that the Alonso's engine gave up because of his inexperience with the car, then you have a very hard time explaining why the Hondas in RHR and Charlie Kimball's car also blew. Surely neither of those drivers lack experience.
    It's about giving yourself the best chance. Not a 1:1, cause and effect analysis.