Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Results 61 to 90 of 209

Thread: Alonso hoping to return in 2019

  1. #61
    Quote Originally Posted by uncommonsense52 View Post
    Okey doke!

    Either way, I like Fernando. I like that he came over here. And respect the hell out of him for it. He'll always be on my "hope he wins" list.
    I like him too and loved when he attempted Indy. I hope he does run in 2019. I just don't think he has to run full time just for Indy. My opinion of course.
    RIP Justin! WWJCD

  2. #62
    Quote Originally Posted by uncommonsense52 View Post
    It's about giving yourself the best chance. Not a 1:1, cause and effect analysis.
    The notion that his engine blew do to Alonso's inexperience is not supported by any evidence whatsoever. It's a wild guess on your part. The fact that Honda engines blew in the cars of two very experienced drivers pretty much negates the idea that driver experience and the probability of the engine blowing are not correlated in any way.
    The Ayn Rand of Indycar

    No one had to badge the Offy.

    Crapping all over threads since 2000.

  3. #63
    Registered User TeamChevy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    3,290
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by uncommonsense52 View Post
    I think you underrate how much knowing the car itself is a factor.
    Yep. He also underestimates the rest of the IC field. He thinks Alonso can just show up to Indy and run circles around them with minimal preparation.

  4. #64
    Quote Originally Posted by Colin Grigson View Post
    I just don't think he has to run full time just for Indy. My opinion of course.
    Wheldon didnít. In a way neither did Rossi.

  5. #65
    Quote Originally Posted by TeamChevy View Post
    Yep. He also underestimates the rest of the IC field. He thinks Alonso can just show up to Indy and run circles around them with minimal preparation.
    How many laps did he lead last year? How many times did he run circles around full time drivers or at least pass them outside? Its not underestimating the grid, Alonso is just that good.

  6. #66
    Quote Originally Posted by TeamChevy View Post
    Yep. He also underestimates the rest of the IC field. He thinks Alonso can just show up to Indy and run circles around them with minimal preparation.

    He pretty much did what you just posted. I can't believe you of all people missed it. You must have been defending something somewhere else.

  7. #67
    Registered User TeamChevy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    3,290
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Colin Grigson View Post
    He pretty much did what you just posted. I can't believe you of all people missed it. You must have been defending something somewhere else.
    His finishing position says otherwise.

  8. #68
    The Ladder Broke in 74
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Location
    Obamastan Until 1/20/2017
    Posts
    16,686
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveL View Post
    The notion that his engine blew do to Alonso's inexperience is not supported by any evidence whatsoever. It's a wild guess on your part. The fact that Honda engines blew in the cars of two very experienced drivers pretty much negates the idea that driver experience and the probability of the engine blowing are not correlated in any way.
    Exactly....Alonso has tons of experience with Honda's blowing up anyway
    Delta Force Theme... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQUeQOIlcDM You're Welcome

  9. #69
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Missouri
    Posts
    3,098
    Quote Originally Posted by Colin Grigson View Post
    He pretty much did what you just posted. I can't believe you of all people missed it. You must have been defending something somewhere else.
    If you mean he ran circles around everyone, you're kind of remembering incorrectly. It's true that he lead some laps, but they were all outside of the last 75 laps or so. When his engine let go, he was running 8th. He had been as far down as 12th a few laps before.

    Which is to take away nothing from Alonso. He lead in his Indy 500 debut, that's quite a feat. But Alonso was setting up for a worse finish than A.J. Allmendinger and Kurt Busch had in their one-offs. As comparisons of drivers who came to do the Indy 500 exclusively. And that's before the engine blew.

    The cars in front of him when the engine let go were Kanaan, Hildebrand, Servia, Jones, Castroneves, Sato, Chilton. All drivers that were either full-time, or at one point had been full-time in the DW-12.

    Also significant to the point: Alonso wasn't even the highest 2017 Rookie at the time his engine let go: Ed Jones was, an IndyCar full-timer. I think, in general, Fernando Alonso is a better driver than Ed Jones, but Jones had the advantage on him... because of his full-season experience.

    I respect the hell out of Alonso, but he short of a massive accident, he wasn't likely to even finish inside the Top 5. I think a Top 10 was 50/50 for him at that point.

    And for the record, this isn't an Indy-only thing. I think Alonso wouldn't be able to do a one-off win at Long Beach or Sonoma either. IndyCar's field is incredibly talented, more so than even IndyCar fans realize I think.
    "I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Can I put my feet out the window? Man, you really like Tide..."

  10. #70
    Alonso likely would not have won had his engine survived, but he would have likely finished higher than 8th. He was moving through the field. And his run was way better than Busch, who was never a factor to win the race.

  11. #71
    Insider MoparsRule's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Location
    Greenfield, Indiana
    Posts
    66,746
    Quote Originally Posted by TeamChevy View Post
    Nonetheless, I've seen no hoopla surrounding his announcement (whenever that was?) or his upcoming participation. Compare that to the him racing at The 500 Mile Race, which was the biggest story in motorsports last year.
    Really? I thought anyone and everyone interested in motorsports knew.

  12. #72
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Missouri
    Posts
    3,098
    Quote Originally Posted by RTS7 View Post
    Alonso likely would not have won had his engine survived, but he would have likely finished higher than 8th. He was moving through the field. And his run was way better than Busch, who was never a factor to win the race.
    He'd been up and down in the laps prior, I've been looking at the lap charts. In general, he was trending up, but he was really bouncing around between 12th and 8th.

    Allmendinger finished 7th, Busch 6th. Really, Alonso did about as well as they did. Except they got the car to the finish, which I'm not really here to argue that.

    But Alonso had faded right before his engine went out anyway.

  13. #73
    Registered User Shogun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Columbus, OH
    Posts
    349
    Quote Originally Posted by Boweimer View Post
    He raced last May because he was out of contention in F1. If heís not in contention in F1 for the 2018 season, We May see Alonso move to Indycar full time.
    I dont see that happening. IMO, he'd go sportscar racing or do Formula E before he went Indycar.
    "If Honda doesnt race, there is no Honda." - Soichiro Honda

  14. #74
    Registered User Boweimer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Detroit
    Posts
    1,220
    Quote Originally Posted by Shogun View Post
    I dont see that happening. IMO, he'd go sportscar racing or do Formula E before he went Indycar.
    He really enjoyed his time at Indy and seemed relaxed! He loved the atmosphere. I can absolutely see him driving IndyCars.... when the time is right

  15. #75
    Registered User TeamChevy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    3,290
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Shogun View Post
    I dont see that happening. IMO, he'd go sportscar racing or do Formula E before he went Indycar.
    Why?

  16. #76
    I could see him doing WEC over IndyCar, but Formula E? No way.

  17. #77
    I can see Alonso doing Formula E. It doesn't clash with Indy or Lemans, and there are enough manufacturers that he will get paid properly. He'd probably prefer Indycar, but the salary would be hopeless in comparison. And he really only cares about the triple crown, not Indycar.

  18. #78
    Quote Originally Posted by uncommonsense52 View Post
    If you mean he ran circles around everyone, you're kind of remembering incorrectly. It's true that he lead some laps, but they were all outside of the last 75 laps or so. When his engine let go, he was running 8th. He had been as far down as 12th a few laps before.

    Which is to take away nothing from Alonso. He lead in his Indy 500 debut, that's quite a feat. But Alonso was setting up for a worse finish than A.J. Allmendinger and Kurt Busch had in their one-offs. As comparisons of drivers who came to do the Indy 500 exclusively. And that's before the engine blew.

    The cars in front of him when the engine let go were Kanaan, Hildebrand, Servia, Jones, Castroneves, Sato, Chilton. All drivers that were either full-time, or at one point had been full-time in the DW-12.

    Also significant to the point: Alonso wasn't even the highest 2017 Rookie at the time his engine let go: Ed Jones was, an IndyCar full-timer. I think, in general, Fernando Alonso is a better driver than Ed Jones, but Jones had the advantage on him... because of his full-season experience.

    I respect the hell out of Alonso, but he short of a massive accident, he wasn't likely to even finish inside the Top 5. I think a Top 10 was 50/50 for him at that point.

    And for the record, this isn't an Indy-only thing. I think Alonso wouldn't be able to do a one-off win at Long Beach or Sonoma either. IndyCar's field is incredibly talented, more so than even IndyCar fans realize I think.
    He came over and adapted pretty quickly and made it look like he had been here before. That says a lot to me. I don't think he needs a full season in these spec cars as you claim to get better just for Indy. It seems some of you think he has to pay some kind of dues to drive in the 500. You are all wrong in my opinion.

  19. #79
    Quote Originally Posted by TeamChevy View Post
    His finishing position says otherwise.
    Your jealousy towards the man and the series he drives for is showing again.

  20. #80
    Quote Originally Posted by Spike View Post
    Did McLaren remove the sponsors' logos from the car when Button filled in at Monaco?
    No, but without Alonso in the car, it would be reasonable to assume less coverage and less brand "status".

  21. #81
    Registered User TeamChevy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    3,290
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Colin Grigson View Post
    Your jealousy towards the man and the series he drives for is showing again.
    Jealousy? How many times have I said I’m a fan of the guy, enjoyed his Month of May, and hope he comes back? For some reason all you F1 guys not only think that all drivers want to be F1 drivers, but that all fans of other series ought to look up to F1 drivers. Sorry but it’s not the case. I respect Alonso, think he’s a great driver, but I also hold the IC field in very high regard.

  22. #82
    It is pretty reasonable to think that Alonso and Allmendinger showed much more pace than Kurt Busch, who wasn't running near his 6th place finish during most of the race. Not to take anything away from Kurt, who did a great job and had a great attitude. He did very well for an first timer in an Indycar - he is very talented. Allmendinger was a former Champ Car driver, so he had some familiarity with how the race works and the car would feel.

    Alonso was on pace pretty much all the time after getting up to speed. Pretty amazing. I would still be one to try to get some practice and more tuning with the car at Pocono during the F1 summer break, if it was up to me.

  23. #83
    Registered User TeamChevy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    3,290
    Blog Entries
    1
    Let’s not forget, Alonso had excellent equipment that was very capable of winning the race. It’s not like he had took a crappy ride and drove it to the front.

  24. #84
    There is no substitute. Spike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Driving the point home
    Posts
    24,602
    Quote Originally Posted by neti1 View Post
    No, but without Alonso in the car, it would be reasonable to assume less coverage and less brand "status".
    I don't think you should, or can, assume that. As I said earlier, McLaren put their F1 sponsors' logos on the car he drove in the 500 as something of a favor as it didn't cost those sponsors anything; which was backed up by the quote from Zak Brown (and the linked article it came from) in post #44. He said McLaren did it, not because of any less coverage or brand stratus due to Alonso not being in the car at Monaco but because it, "...helped offset the loss of exposure sponsors have encountered through the team's struggles in F1."

    So, it wasn't about making up for one race, but for an entire season of lackluster results.

    What could be argued is that McLaren's sponsors ended up getting more exposure at Monaco because of the all the attention generated by Jensen Button filling in for Alonso in the race.
    "I would really like to go to NASCAR. I really enjoy NASCAR and if I could be there in a couple of years that's where I'd want to be." - Jeff Gordon (after testing a Formula Super Vee)

  25. #85
    Quote Originally Posted by TeamChevy View Post
    Jealousy? How many times have I said Iím a fan of the guy, enjoyed his Month of May, and hope he comes back? For some reason all you F1 guys not only think that all drivers want to be F1 drivers, but that all fans of other series ought to look up to F1 drivers. Sorry but itís not the case. I respect Alonso, think heís a great driver, but I also hold the IC field in very high regard.
    I also think the Indycar field is pretty talented too, however, the top F1 guys are some of the best drivers in the world, after the front guys, not so much, the F1 field gets somewhat weak as you go from mid-pack back. Alonso isn't just a great F1 driver, but one of the sport's best ever.

    A couple of the top NASCAR drivers (Stewart, Johnson, others) have repeatedly stated that one cannot just walk in and be competitive at the Indy 500 (for the double), because of the series competition is so good. I agree, but it can be done with a special talent like Alonso.

  26. #86
    Quote Originally Posted by TeamChevy View Post
    Let’s not forget, Alonso had excellent equipment that was very capable of winning the race. It’s not like he had took a crappy ride and drove it to the front.
    How often does that happen at Indy anymore? Seems like setup is nearly everything since there is little to no shifting or even lifting.

  27. #87
    Quote Originally Posted by AcrossThePond View Post
    This is the effect of one of your "novelty" acts in the UK alone. https://f1broadcasting.co/2017/05/29...03000-viewers/
    Does anyone know what kind of viewership numbers the 2017 Indy 500 got in Spain? And in Europe overall? And worldwide?
    Last edited by mainemandean; 01-07-2018 at 07:01 PM.

  28. #88
    I personally think Alonso would have been dicing for the win at the end, had the engine held up and run 100%. I think he would have been one of about five guys in contention. It would have been a huge feat, but I totally think he could have won it.

    The man is just that good.

    I think it's not likely he will return as long as he's in F1. That was an aberration last year; I doubt his new contract would allow him not to do Monaco.

  29. #89
    The good news is that Fernando Alonso is running the Rolex this year, so my 12-year-old daughter who only knows Jordan and Ricky Taylor will get to see him race. Then, he'll move the needle when he's at Indy, as all the billions of Taylor fans will now know who he is.

  30. #90
    Insider MoparsRule's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Location
    Greenfield, Indiana
    Posts
    66,746
    Quote Originally Posted by mainemandean View Post
    Does anyone know what kind of viewership numbers the 2018 Indy 500 got in Spain? And in Europe overall? And worldwide?
    No... but we will find out in a few months.

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •