Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Alonso hoping to return in 2019

Quote Originally Posted by MoparsRule View Post
    No... but we will find out in a few months.
    Good catch. I get SO confused this time of year . . .

Insider
    Quote Originally Posted by TeamChevy View Post
    Yep. He also underestimates the rest of the IC field. He thinks Alonso can just show up to Indy and run circles around them with minimal preparation.

Montoya did it in 2000.

Montoya came in as a full-time - and very successful - IC driver. Come on, people, let's try not to use completely ridiculous comparisons.
    Last edited by Joeremi; 01-07-2018 at 08:41 PM.

It's not ridiculous. While his talent was obvious and his successes were many, in the spring of 2000 you could not accurately describe Montoya as being, "a successful IC driver." More importantly, the point was that back in 2000 Montoya visited a different series, stepped into a car he'd never driven, raced it on a track he'd never been to before, against competitors unfamiliar to him, and won the race going away.
    "I would really like to go to NASCAR. I really enjoy NASCAR and if I could be there in a couple of years that's where I'd want to be." - Jeff Gordon (after testing a Formula Super Vee)

It's ridiculous. JPM won the CART series title in his rookie year in 1999, and was in the middle of his second season when he won Indy. He won Milwaukee a week later. The comparison to an F1 driver coming to his first IC race does not hold up.

Quote Originally Posted by Joeremi View Post
    The comparison to an F1 driver coming to his first IC race does not hold up.
    That's true. He hadn't achieved that status yet.

How did the always well prepared Team Penske perform in their very first IRL race?

Quote Originally Posted by mattf765 View Post
    If he does pick up a ride in a top team, most likely Andretti, will this create some kind of feminism nightmare for auto racing given that DP announced to the world she was running the 500 only to struggle to find a ride?
    Oh boy, please dont bring those nightmarish people to Indycar.
    This series is and always has been one where women in it have been normalized for the most part.

Quote Originally Posted by Pumblechook View Post
    The good news is that Fernando Alonso is running the Rolex this year, so my 12-year-old daughter who only knows Jordan and Ricky Taylor will get to see him race. Then, he'll move the needle when he's at Indy, as all the billions of Taylor fans will now know who he is.

RIP Justin! WWJCD

Quote Originally Posted by Joeremi View Post
    It's ridiculous. JPM won the CART series title in his rookie year in 1999, and was in the middle of his second season when he won Indy. He won Milwaukee a week later. The comparison to an F1 driver coming to his first IC race does not hold up.
    Yes it does because it was a huge deal. I remember it pretty well. There was a lot of chest thumping about how he couldn't win had no experience etc. but when he beat the home favorite the excuses flowed like water.

Quote Originally Posted by ilikemarbles View Post
    This series is and always has been one where women in it have been normalized for the most part.
    Normalized?

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Grigson View Post
    Yes it does because it was a huge deal. I remember it pretty well. There was a lot of chest thumping about how he couldn't win had no experience etc. but when he beat the home favorite the excuses flowed like water.
    I can't help it if the IRL guys were idiots, it still doesn't change the fact that an IndyCar driver came to Indy in a slightly different IndyCar. An IndyCar driver with oval experience. The comparison to Alonso is absurd.

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Grigson View Post
    It seems some of you think he has to pay some kind of dues to drive in the 500. You are all wrong in my opinion.
    I'm... Not sure if you just implied I'm an Indy 500 snob... But it's really not the case. And when I say what I'm about to say, I always get the stink eye.

Maybe for other posters making the same argument about Alonso, it's about paying dues for the glorious 500... But to me, the 500 it's just another race on the calendar. Any feelings I have for it are buried, because they're all negative feelings towards the Hulman George family. I watch the 500 turning part of my brain off, because otherwise I'd have to flip it off.

IMS is ground zero for the destruction of AOWR. It's management gutted my favorite sport out of selfish, petty greed. And I'll never, ever forgive that. But I can choose to try and forget it. Which is how I watch the 500. Trying to forget what that race symbolizes.

So you can believe me when I say there is no overt sentimentality on my part towards the 500.

If Alonso wanted to win in any major series... IndyCar, NASCAR, WEC, V8 Supercars, World of Outlaws, whatever he may try... Familiarity with the style of car and track is very close to a must.
    "I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Can I put my feet out the window? Man, you really like Tide..."

Quote Originally Posted by Spike View Post
    It's not ridiculous. While his talent was obvious and his successes were many, in the spring of 2000 you could not accurately describe Montoya as being, "a successful IC driver." More importantly, the point was that back in 2000 Montoya visited a different series, stepped into a car he'd never driven, raced it on a track he'd never been to before, against competitors unfamiliar to him, and won the race going away.
    Nigel Mansell set the fastest lap on his first ever oval practice.In fact, Nigel won every oval race he ran that season, except for Indy, which he lost only due to his lack of experience with oval restart tactics.

All against even tougher (much tougher!) competition than Montoya faced in the 2000 Indy 500.

So there's nothing at all unrealistic in the suggestion that an F1 driver could win Indy on his first try. After all, at least 2 F1 drivers have done exactly that (one very recently!). In fact, F1 drivers would have finished 1st and 2nd in '66, had Stewart not suffered a pump failure.
    Last edited by neti1; 01-08-2018 at 04:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by neti1 View Post
    Nigel Mansell set the fastest lap on his first ever oval practice.In fact, Nigel won every oval race he ran that season, except for Indy, which he lost only due to his lack of experience with oval restart tactics.

All against even tougher (much tougher!) competition than Montoya faced in the 2000 Indy 500.

So there's nothing at all unrealistic in the suggestion that an F1 driver could win Indy on his first try. After all, at least 2 F1 drivers have done exactly that (one very recently!). In fact, F1 drivers would have finished 1st and 2nd in '66, had Stewart not suffered a pump failure.
    The rest of the drivers mentioned came here to add to their resumes by attempting to win the greatest race in the world. Alonso was only here to do the 500 a huge favor by gracing it with his royal presence in a year when his F1 mojo was fizzling.

Quote Originally Posted by Otis View Post
    The rest of the drivers mentioned came here to add to their resumes by attempting to win the greatest race in the world. Alonso was only here to do the 500 a huge favor by gracing it with his royal presence in a year when his F1 mojo was fizzling.
    Huh?

Quote Originally Posted by Spike View Post
    Interesting. If true, that means Fernando will be paid far more to not drive in the 500 than some other driver will get for winning the race.
    Amazing factoid if true. Paid more to NOT race at 16th and Georgetown than to win at the same location. Just shows what stratosphere F1 operates in. Hope he comes back in 2019 because 2017 was made better by his presence.
    Counting down to my 31st Greatest Spectacle in Racing, follow me on twitter @NDCar for photos, trivia and more about the Indianapolis 500.

Autosoft Dealer Management System - Highest rated Automotive DMS 2014, 2015, 2016 by Driving Sales. See what all the buzz is about - www.AutosoftDMS.com

Quote Originally Posted by Pumblechook View Post
    The good news is that Fernando Alonso is running the Rolex this year, so my 12-year-old daughter who only knows Jordan and Ricky Taylor will get to see him race. Then, he'll move the needle when he's at Indy, as all the billions of Taylor fans will now know who he is.
    My sides. My sides.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by I Love May View Post
    Amazing factoid if true. Paid more to NOT race at 16th and Georgetown than to win at the same location. Just shows what stratosphere F1 operates in. Hope he comes back in 2019 because 2017 was made better by his presence.
    They fear the 500, and all the global attention it received last year really worried them.

They fear the 500, and all the global attention it received last year really worried them.
    Kinda like that carburetor the auto industry snapped up for millions decades ago so we couldn't get 500 miles from a gallon of gas?

Quote Originally Posted by fenderless View Post
    Alonso's 2018 contract pays him an extra $5 million to forego another try at the 500 and race in Monaco, courtesy of new engine supplier Renault.
    This seems crazy, is it verifiable?

I find it very hard to believe that FA was given an extra $5M specifically to not run Indy. I am sure he signed a contract to run all the F1 races. Period.

I am sure he had a such a contract last year also; but Zak decided to let him breech part of it (the Monaco obligation) since the net result was a plus for McLaren.

Whatever the fine print is, I am sure he is making seriously big bucks.

And no, I don't think F1 fears the indy 500.

I look forward to having Fernando Alonso return to Indy, whenever that might be. He drove very well in 2017's Indy 500, and was a class act all month. The standing ovation he received when his engine let go, and he got out of the car was well deserved.
    World's biggest Ryan Hunter-Reay fan!

Born in 1992, I've been lucky enough to have attended every '500 since 2000. Milwaukee (RIP) from 2003 - 2015, Iowa 2007-present, Long Beach 2016, Road America 1998-2007, 2016-present,
    Michigan 500 (RIP): 1997-2001 and Mid-Ohio in 2008

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by RHRfan#1 View Post
    I look forward to having Fernando Alonso return to Indy, whenever that might be. He drove very well in 2017's Indy 500, and was a class act all month. The standing ovation he received when his engine let go, and he got out of the car was well deserved.
    He certainly represented himself well all month, on and off the track, and Hoosiers fully embraced him.

He certainly represented himself well all month, on and off the track, and Hoosiers fully embraced him.
    something i love about the Indy 500 fans, 90% + are very well informed and applaud great performances, just like FA put on in 2017! He has become a favorite of mine, and like I said, I look forward to him returning someday and when he does, I bet he gets another large standing ovation in driver introductions

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by uncommonsense52 View Post
    and

Certainly he can do Indy only, he's talented enough to finish Top 5. But to put himself in the best position, he'll need to know the car as best as he can.

It can be argued his retirement last year could be due to inexperience with the car. You get those subtle intuitions about what the engine likes. What rpm is the perfect time to shift for the gear box to stay working.

You get all those little quirks into the database between the ears.

How far back do you have to go before a non-regular won the Indy 500? Someone without a full-season contract ever in IndyCar/CART/USAC? Someone who hadn't been racing in the car, with the team, they were in for more than one race?

Wheldon wasn't a full-timer in 2011, but certainly had a ton of experience in the car from years prior.

Maybe you could argue Montoya in 2000, but he was with his Ganassi crew that won him a CART Championship.

So who was it who last just showed up, from a completely different racing scene, and won?

Graham Hill, 1966? Is there someone more recent than that?

And then you have to ask yourself: for as good as Alonso is, is he Graham Hill in 1966 good?
    Yet remind me how many other Hondas failed in cars driver by series regulars and drivers with LONG careers in Indycar.

Graham Hill only competed against 22 cars for 199 laps, and many believe he actually finished behind Jimmy Clark. Even Hill was somewhat confused that he was the winner. What do you feel was so significant about being "1966 good" leading the last 9 laps other than winning like so many others did? Hill was still far more familiar with mid engine cars than many were in those day, and much of the USAC schedule was still contested in roadsters and on dirt, so one could argue Hill started the race with a distinct advantage.

Blog Entries
    I agree 100%.

Blog Entries
    Why?
    Maybe he may like to remain in Europe the majority of the time at that point of his career? I know he does like California.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by uncommonsense52 View Post
    He'd been up and down in the laps prior, I've been looking at the lap charts. In general, he was trending up, but he was really bouncing around between 12th and 8th.

Allmendinger finished 7th, Busch 6th. Really, Alonso did about as well as they did. Except they got the car to the finish, which I'm not really here to argue that.

But Alonso had faded right before his engine went out anyway.
    you mean like maybe he was fading like, because he was backing off or simply losing power due to a failing engine? Something I seem to recall him mentioning he was aware of before the engine finally expired? How could a driver with only two years worth of failing Honda F1 engines and one partial Indy 500 possibly have enough experience to know his engine could fail him?

He was ready to run that race 2 hours after he turned the first lap in his rookie orientation.

You keep telling yourself that if it makes you feel better. F1 could give a rats ass about the attention Indy gets.
    Monaco keeps them from worrying about central Indiana in May trust me!