Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Alonso hoping to return in 2019

Quote Originally Posted by mainemandean View Post
    I find it very hard to believe that FA was given an extra $5M specifically to not run Indy. I am sure he signed a contract to run all the F1 races. Period.

I am sure he had a such a contract last year also; but Zak decided to let him breech part of it (the Monaco obligation) since the net result was a plus for McLaren.

Whatever the fine print is, I am sure he is making seriously big bucks.
    I suspect it wasn't $5 million for not running Indy, but $5 million for guaranteeing to run Monaco even if the car isn't competitive. Monaco is a big deal for existing sponsors, and for signing next season's sponsors - so I suspect the team and its financial backers want to be sure that their #1 attraction is in the house, ready to schmooze the money guys.

And no, I don't think F1 fears the indy 500
    LOL ... that was a classic .
    Last edited by neti1; 01-08-2018 at 10:40 PM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jsieczka View Post
    just Facebook as the Alonso live steam was only on facebook (since reposted elsewhere), so it would be inaccurate to use multiple sources when one only has a single source.
    the live stream was most certainly available through Youtube, as well as NBCSN's website. Facebook is blocked at work but I watched the entire thing on YouTube live.

Quote Originally Posted by RHRfan#1 View Post
    I look forward to having Fernando Alonso return to Indy, whenever that might be. He drove very well in 2017's Indy 500, and was a class act all month. The standing ovation he received when his engine let go, and he got out of the car was well deserved.
    I agree and hope he does return in 2019.

One potential scenario I could see playing out is that Alonso COULD leave F1 at the end of 2018, as he only has a 1 year contract, if McLaren-Renault are not quite competitive enough.

In 2019, if he left F1, he could switch full-time to IndyCar, but also run the Daytona 24H, as well as the WEC races at Sebring, Spa & Le Mans. If he did leave F1, it would allow him to fully focus on trying to achieve the Triple Crown.

If he stayed in F1 in 2019, I can't help feel that he would have to skip Monaco again to run Indy, unless he has come to some sort of agreement with McLaren that he will run Indy in alternate years, but I find that doubtful.

Quote Originally Posted by Nigel Red5 View Post
    the live stream was most certainly available through Youtube, as well as NBCSN's website. Facebook is blocked at work but I watched the entire thing on YouTube live.
    Once again please provide a link to Alonso's live ask on YouTube from the Roar before the 24. It was a Facebook exclusive, IMSAs YouTube channel is very pooly stocked with content.

Once again please provide a link to Alonso's live ask on YouTube from the Roar before the 24. It was a Facebook exclusive, IMSAs YouTube channel is very pooly stocked with content.
    Pardon my ignorance, but what do you mean when you keep saying "live ask"?

Quote Originally Posted by RTS7 View Post
    Pardon my ignorance, but what do you mean when you keep saying "live ask"?
    A Facebook term for a live interactive interview, where questions come from the comments on the video. You could call it Facebooks answer to a Reddit AMA.

Blog Entries
    We were discussing Indy. Apparently somewhere you are discussing Daytona.

We were discussing Indy. Apparently somewhere you are discussing Daytona.
    Quote Originally Posted by TeamChevy View Post
    On a side note, I have to admit I didn't even realize that Alonso was coming to the Daytona race this weekend. Interesting that the amount of coverage and attention on this has been next to nothing compared to his participation in the 500.
    Team Chevy brought it

Blog Entries
    It was in my first post, you were saying that no one knew he was at Daytona. More people cared to hear/ask him talk about being at Daytona then Sato winning the 500.
    You never said you were talking about a "post day 1" interview at the Roar. Why would we be discussing that on an Indy forum

You never said you were talking about a "post day 1" interview at the Roar. Why would we be discussing that on an Indy forum
    Good question, maybe you need to ask Team Chevy why it was worth bringing up how much bigger Indy is versus the Daytona 24. That's what started the mess to begin with.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
    Good question, maybe you need to ask Team Chevy why it was worth bringing up how much bigger Indy is versus the Daytona 24. That's what started the mess to begin with.
    I never brought that up at all. And furthermore, what I did bring up was back on page 1. We are on page 6, and so his posts were very confusing as to what they related to. I'm glad I'm not the only one that noticed that.

Blog Entries
    Team Chevy brought it
    I don't get why you were replying to me and others who stated that Alonso's test stream had way more viewers than your initial claim, by bringing up "Post 500 Ask." Makes zero sense to me, but ok.

A Facebook term for a live interactive interview, where questions come from the comments on the video. You could call it Facebooks answer to a Reddit AMA.
    Got it. I'm familiar with the videos but never heard the term before.

I never brought that up at all. And furthermore, what I did bring up was back on page 1. We are on page 6, and so his posts were very confusing as to what they related to. I'm glad I'm not the only one that noticed that.

Yes, I'm sure the following comment had no intention of comparing Indy with the Rolex 24.

On a side note, I have to admit I didn't even realize that Alonso was coming to the Daytona race this weekend. Interesting that the amount of coverage and attention on this has been next to nothing compared to his participation in the 500.

Then of course, you had to take a shot at another race with this comment.

Monaco is a pretty small event when you compare it to Indy. I think it's safe to say, that race has never and will never reach the stature and importance of The 500 Mile Race. For at least one month out of the year, Indiana has the advantage over Monaco.

Blog Entries
    Yes, I'm sure the following comment had no intention of comparing Indy with the Rolex 24.
    Actually, it didn't, which was fully explained in a later post. Of course, you would rather ignore that.

Blog Entries
    Then of course, you had to take a shot at another race with this comment.
    That was in a reply to someone who took a shot at the 500. Am I not allowed to reply to that?

Oh, you mean the post where you were trying to make a point that it was obvious that the hype surrounding Alonso testing at Indy had more to do with Indy than Alonso himself? Again, your post was nothing more than another opportunity for you to wave your Indy 500 pom poms. I honestly don't understand why you find the need to come into so many threads and feel it's necessary to "Defend" the race so often as you do. Most here enjoy the race, and understand it's magnitude on the schedule and where it stands in the world of motorsport. But I think enough is enough with the repetitive swings you take at other great events in defense of something that no one here is attacking.

That was in a reply to someone who took a shot at the 500. Am I not allowed to reply to that?
    Except no one took a shot at the Indy 500. The comment was F1 isn't worried about the Indianapolis 500 because they have Monaco that weekend, which is the absolute truth.

Blog Entries
    Except no one took a shot at the Indy 500. The comment was F1 isn't worried about the Indianapolis 500 because they have Monaco that weekend, which is the absolute truth.
    By the same token, I also did not take a shot at Monaco. I said The 500 Mile Race is a much bigger event, which is the absolute truth.

Quote Originally Posted by Boweimer View Post
    I agree. Not to make this an F1 post but I believe Monza is F1’s most important & premier event. F1 goes as Ferrari goes. Better keep Ferrari happy.
    Ferrari is important, but Monaco is F1's most important event.

Blog Entries
    The hype around Alonso's run in the 500 was because it was a current F1 driver skipping MONACO, mid-season race. Indycar and IMS made it a huge production on this side, but that same hype internationally would have happened had he skipped Monaco for the 24hrs of Daytona, Lemans or any race for that matter. Yes, the fact that it was the 500 and an oval race piqued the curiosity of a large number of F1 fans that buy into the "too dangerous" mantra. Indy makes a spectacle of itself intentionally and they are always looking for a "story" and that's fine. Would he have skipped Monaco for say the 24 hrs of LeMans? My guess is that's no but Indy presented what was in all likelihood a once in a lifetime situation that benefit all parties involved.

The fact that Alonso is driving in the 24 hours of Daytona isn't really any more newsworthy or earth shattering than the handful of Indycar drivers, NASCAR drivers or drivers from other series competing in the 24 because he's not giving up points or skipping a F1 race mid season.

Blog Entries
    The hype around Alonso's run in the 500 was because it was a current F1 driver skipping MONACO, mid-season race. Indycar and IMS made it a huge production on this side, but that same hype internationally would have happened had he skipped Monaco for the 24hrs of Daytona, Lemans or any race for that matter. Yes, the fact that it was the 500 and an oval race piqued the curiosity of a large number of F1 fans that buy into the "too dangerous" mantra. Indy makes a spectacle of itself intentionally and they are always looking for a "story" and that's fine. Would he have skipped Monaco for say the 24 hrs of LeMans? My guess is that's no but Indy presented what was in all likelihood a once in a lifetime situation that benefit all parties involved.

The fact that Alonso is driving in the 24 hours of Daytona isn't really any more newsworthy or earth shattering than the handful of Indycar drivers, NASCAR drivers or drivers from other series competing in the 24 because he's not giving up points or skipping a F1 race mid season.
    It was a big story because it was one of the top F1 drivers, coming to the biggest race in the world. Plain and simple. To insist this was all about him skipping Monaco is beyond ignorant and arrogant.

It was a big story because it was one of the top F1 drivers, coming to the biggest race in the world. Plain and simple. To insist this was all about him skipping Monaco is beyond ignorant and arrogant.
    In your opinion of course.

By the same token, I also did not take a shot at Monaco. I said The 500 Mile Race is a much bigger event, which is the absolute truth.
    On this side of the pond, yes Indy is bigger than Monaco.

Blog Entries
    In your opinion of course.
    Fact, largest single day event by attendance.

So you mean the most attended race in the world, gotcha.

And if you mean sporting event, then I agree. But there are events nationwide and across the world that easily double the 500's attendance.

Fact: Indy 500 is the largest single gathering of people for a sporting event

Opinion: Indy 500 is the biggest race in the world. There are more factors than just attendance to look at.

my personal opinion is that the Indy 500 is the biggest race in the world, NASCAR fans think Daytona is the biggest in the world, F1 fans probably put Monaco at #1, sports car fans put Le Mans at number 1.

so you can both be right, now be done with this silly argument
    World's biggest Ryan Hunter-Reay fan!

When not discussing opinions, I try my best to only post facts, if I post something factually incorrect please correct me with a source (if possible)

To ask like skipping Monaco had nothing to do with it is just as ignorant.