Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Alonso hoping to return in 2019

Alonso hoping to return in 2019

http://www.espn.co.uk/f1/story/_/id/...0-return-plans

Hopes to return to Indy next year. Thoughts? Does he find it easier to get a ride than the princess?
    "The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that the lightning ain't distributed right." - Mark Twain

He had a very good drive up to the point his engine went kaboom so I doubt he would have a difficult time finding a ride even if he weren't Fernando Alonso.
    Sitting president of the "Sato Forever Faithful Fanclub"

If he does pick up a ride in a top team, most likely Andretti, will this create some kind of feminism nightmare for auto racing given that DP announced to the world she was running the 500 only to struggle to find a ride?

Quote Originally Posted by mattf765 View Post
    If he does pick up a ride in a top team, most likely Andretti, will this create some kind of feminism nightmare for auto racing given that DP announced to the world she was running the 500 only to struggle to find a ride?
    No.

Alonso is a MUCH better driver than DP.
    Alonso's resume means he probably has much better sponsorship options than DP.
    Andretti had a positive experience working with Alonso, and a negative one with Danica.

Nothing to do with feminist issues - if anything, Danica's gender is an advantage, not a detriment.

http://www.espn.co.uk/f1/story/_/id/...0-return-plans

Hopes to return to Indy next year. Thoughts? Does he find it easier to get a ride than the princess?
    Your stupid, derogatory nickname aside (ironic, too, when Alonso's reputation as a teammate could earn him plenty of nicknames—and then there's the tantrum Alonso threw where he assaulted a photographer), what in the hell does this have to do with Danica Patrick?

She announced she plans to run the 2018 Indy 500 and then retire. She will not be looking for a ride for the 2019 Indy 500, as Fernando Alonso will be. Thus, neither can find it easier than the other, as they are not competing for rides; they are racing in different years.

Again, other than you wanting to be some edgelord about women, what does Danica Patrick have to do with this? She is trying to race in 2018; Alonso is trying to race in 2019. The market for drivers/teams changes each year. Plus, Alonso may be working on a program much earlier than Patrick started, as Patrick was, at one point, seeking full-time NASCAR rides for 2018 during 2017. You can't compare the two, and there's no reason to. They won't be racing in the same race.

Blog Entries
    We'll see. Zak Brown doesn't have that connection with Honda anymore and as Alonso said it really matters if he's allowed to or not. I'm sure Alonso would love to do it at least one more time but everything just seemed to have fallen in the right spot at the right time last May. It would be awesome to see it happen again but no one can truly predict the future.
    "The only good horsepower is usable horsepower.."

Dumb Danica comments aside, I'm sure Michael, Jay, Zak, etc will move mountains to have Fernando in a good ride. Even Honda will pitch in, it's worth it for the publicity alone.
    "If your car was a dog, then you had to figure it out and test your own limits. And we didn't go to a wind tunnel – we did it in the first turn at Indianapolis."

........... DP announced to the world she was running the 500 only to struggle to find a ride?
    She's not really struggling; at least not yet.

There's a lot of positioning going on with potential 500 car owners. But the deal is going to get done.

And in spite of the stories she could yet end up driving for Ganassi.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by indyrjc View Post

There's a lot of positioning going on with potential 500 car owners. But the deal is going to get done.

That's absolutely true.

Blog Entries
    On a side note, I have to admit I didn't even realize that Alonso was coming to the Daytona race this weekend. Interesting that the amount of coverage and attention on this has been next to nothing compared to his participation in the 500.

It's only the Roar before the 24. The race is in a couple of weeks.
    RIP Justin! WWJCD

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Colin Grigson View Post
    It's only the Roar before the 24. The race is in a couple of weeks.
    Nonetheless, I've seen no hoopla surrounding his announcement (whenever that was?) or his upcoming participation. Compare that to the him racing at The 500 Mile Race, which was the biggest story in motorsports last year.

Quote Originally Posted by TeamChevy View Post
    On a side note, I have to admit I didn't even realize that Alonso was coming to the Daytona race this weekend. Interesting that the amount of coverage and attention on this has been next to nothing compared to his participation in the 500.
    Here comes Team Chevy with his bucket of chum, right on time.

The 24 Hours of Daytona is nowhere near as big of a race as the Indy 500, so this is a pretty inapt comparison. And no one has ever said it is, so I'm not sure what point you're trying to prove here (other than stirring up your usual crap).

The fact you "didn't even realize that Alonso was coming to the Daytona race this weekend" certainly helps out you as someone totally disconnected from the motorsports world at-large, as this story has been discussed at length on Racer, Motorsport, and a variety of other racing websites.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by RTS7 View Post
    Here comes Team Chevy with his bucket of chum, right on time.

The 24 Hours of Daytona is nowhere near as big of a race as the Indy 500, so this is a pretty inapt comparison. And no one has ever said it is, so I'm not sure what point you're trying to prove here (other than stirring up your usual crap).

The fact you "didn't even realize that Alonso was coming to the Daytona race this weekend" certainly helps out you as someone totally disconnected from the motorsports world at-large, as this story has been discussed at length on Racer, Motorsport, and a variety of other racing websites.
    And here comes RTS7, with his usual defensive and angry post anytime the Indy 500 is mentioned on an IndyCar forum.

My point is not that the 500 is bigger than the 24 Hours of Daytona, I don't think anyone would even argue otherwise so that was not my point at all. My point was in regards to those who claimed the "Alonso to the 500" story was only a big worldwide story because it was Alonso, and had little to do with the 500 itself. We can see here now, that is most certainly not true, as there has been little to no attention given to Alonso coming to race in the 24 of Daytona.

Insider
    Maybe Infiniti is going to be the third manufacture.

Quote Originally Posted by neti1 View Post
    No.

Andretti had a positive experience working with Alonso, and a negative one with Danica.

Nothing to do with feminist issues - if anything, Danica's gender is an advantage, not a detriment.
    The problem is you are using facts and logic and that's just not how today's "You a hater" world works. Somewhere on social media it'll start (if it hasn't already) that she didn't get the ride because of sexism and it'll snowball until it's accepted fact. There is no fighting it or correcting, you can not whisper the truth into the wailing storm of bull ****.

There has been coverage on Racer.com and imsa.com and the IMSA app. Nice try.
    Let the Andretti Curse continue!!!

My point is not that the 500 is bigger than the 24 Hours of Daytona, I don't think anyone would even argue otherwise so that was not my point at all. My point was in regards to those who claimed the "Alonso to the 500" story was only a big worldwide story because it was Alonso, and had little to do with the 500 itself. We can see here now, that is most certainly not true, as there has been little to no attention given to Alonso coming to race in the 24 of Daytona.

I think the fact that you pay zero attention to any other form of motorsport outside of I465 might have something to do with your projection that there is no attention to Fernando running the Daytona 24. Maybe it's not on Indianapolis' local 6pm news, but it is making the rounds throughout the motorsport media.

Thanks again however to finding yet another way of proving to all of us how huge the Indy 500 is, and how terribly pitiful the rest of motorsport is in comparison. I don't think the majority here have ever heard of the 500.

Quote Originally Posted by indyrjc View Post

There is nothing to suggest (up to now) that any of your statements are true
    Indy, Cleveland, Mid-Ohio, Pocono, Michigan, Long Beach, Watkins Glen, Kentucky, Milwaukee, Road America, Iowa, IRP - 61

If he wants to race, he will. Alonso proved last year that he can compete. I would expect though, that if he can drive an F1 car, he can most certainly drive an Indycar. Id like to see him do a handful of oval races this season, to get some more experience because oval racing is a very different thing, no matter how good of a driver you are but I think that any time he jumps into any car on any track in the world, he has to be a favorite to win. IMO, he is one of the most talented drivers in the world.

Registered User David_Skywalker's Avatar
    Everybody's eyes will be on Indianapolis once again May 2019.

I'm already thrilled! Hope some more 'all stars' will join him.

Alonso is single handedly saving the sport of auto racing by being the cross-discipline star its desperately needed since the guys like AJ and Mario retired.
    Just wait 'till next year!

Quote Originally Posted by Shogun View Post
    If he wants to race, he will.
    He wants to, he's already said so. That doesn't mean he will.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by David_Skywalker View Post
    Everybody's eyes will be on Indianapolis once again May 2019.

I'm already thrilled! Hope some more 'all stars' will join him.

Alonso is single handedly saving the sport of auto racing by being the cross-discipline star its desperately needed since the guys like AJ and Mario retired.
    Everybody’s eyes are on Indianapolis every May.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
    I think the fact that you pay zero attention to any other form of motorsport outside of I465 might have something to do with your projection that there is no attention to Fernando running the Daytona 24. Maybe it's not on Indianapolis' local 6pm news, but it is making the rounds throughout the motorsport media.

Thanks again however to finding yet another way of proving to all of us how huge the Indy 500 is, and how terribly pitiful the rest of motorsport is in comparison. I don't think the majority here have ever heard of the 500.

Alonso's 2018 contract pays him an extra $5 million to forego another try at the 500 and race in Monaco, courtesy of new engine supplier Renault.

Insider
    Just for fun I have looked at just about every European racing site from many countries. On every one it is one of the top stories.

Quote Originally Posted by neti1 View Post
    No.

didn't Alonso bring his F1 sponsors to Indy last year?

He'd have zero issues finding funding

The Ladder Broke in 74
    Quote Originally Posted by houstonracefan View Post
    didn't Alonso bring his F1 sponsors to Indy last year?

He'd have zero issues finding funding
    He could fund himself

Net worth: $220m
    After starting kart racing aged just three, Fernando Alonso shot to stardom in the early 2000s after becoming the youngest F1 champion ever and has gone on to become one of the most well-known names in motorsport.

His success has been great enough to win him an estimated net worth of $220 million, meaning he’s on the podium in this list and also ranks as the 24th highest-paid athlete in the world in terms of salary.

https://www.carkeys.co.uk/news/the-t...rs-of-all-time
    Delta Force Theme... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQUeQOIlcDM You're Welcome

Quote Originally Posted by fenderless View Post
    Alonso's 2018 contract pays him an extra $5 million to forego another try at the 500 and race in Monaco, courtesy of new engine supplier Renault.
    Interesting. If true, that means Fernando will be paid far more to not drive in the 500 than some other driver will get for winning the race.
    "I would really like to go to NASCAR. I really enjoy NASCAR and if I could be there in a couple of years that's where I'd want to be." - Jeff Gordon (after testing a Formula Super Vee)

Quote Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
    That, and world class racers from other series doing a one off for the 24 isn't as big of deal as it's a common occurrence. It happens every year. Alonso isn't even the only active F1 driver in the race as Lance Stroll is running as well.
    The Ayn Rand of Indycar

No one had to badge the Offy.

Crapping all over threads since 2000.