Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567

Thread: Alonso hoping to return in 2019

Racing Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by Vic Mackey View Post
    To ask like skipping Monaco had nothing to do with it is just as ignorant.
    Very true. That's what made it a huge story.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
    Then of course, you had to take a shot at another race with this comment.
    I think TC is locked into an Indy-centric worldview in which he simply can't conceive of how different perspectives are outside the US. So Monaco is a "small race", rather than F1's most iconic event (and possibly the most well-known race in the world).

I grew up outside the US: I knew all about Monaco before I was 10, but was at college before I knew anything about Indy other than the name. It was not something that ever came up as a topic of discussion, even among people I knew who were race fans - just not on the radar at all.

Oh, you mean the post where you were trying to make a point that it was obvious that the hype surrounding Alonso testing at Indy had more to do with Indy than Alonso himself? Again, your post was nothing more than another opportunity for you to wave your Indy 500 pom poms. I honestly don't understand why you find the need to come into so many threads and feel it's necessary to "Defend" the race so often as you do. Most here enjoy the race, and understand it's magnitude on the schedule and where it stands in the world of motorsport. But I think enough is enough with the repetitive swings you take at other great events in defense of something that no one here is attacking.

He reminds of someone else. Am I on to something?
    RIP Justin! WWJCD

Quote Originally Posted by RHRfan#1 View Post
    Fact: Indy 500 is the largest single gathering of people for a sporting event
    Single-day sporting event. Le Mans sells more tickets, but that race runs from 3pm Saturday to 3pm Sunday.

Quote Originally Posted by neti1 View Post
    Single-day sporting event. Le Mans sells more tickets, but that race runs from 3pm Saturday to 3pm Sunday.
    source? If i'm wrong then i'm wrong, I have no problem correcting an error i might have made, just curious where you are getting this information
    World's biggest Ryan Hunter-Reay fan!

Born in 1992, I've been lucky enough to have attended every '500 since 2000. Milwaukee (RIP) from 2003 - 2015, Iowa 2007-present, Long Beach 2016, Road America 1998-2007, 2016-present,
    Michigan 500 (RIP): 1997-2001 and Mid-Ohio in 2008

Fact: Indy 500 is the largest single gathering of people for a sporting event

Opinion: Indy 500 is the biggest race in the world. There are more factors than just attendance to look at.

my personal opinion is that the Indy 500 is the biggest race in the world, NASCAR fans think Daytona is the biggest in the world, F1 fans probably put Monaco at #1, sports car fans put Le Mans at number 1.

so you can both be right, now be done with this silly argument
    Good point. "Biggest race in the world" is completely subjective unless you define precisely what "biggest" means (ticket sales, TV audience, etc). Since many of the arguments here focus on abstractions like "stature", "significance", "cache", you're right - it's a pointless argument.

But for most posters, the debate isn't about what qualifies as the "biggest" - it's about a tendency to devalue other races, and other series, in favor of Indy, and the irritation many feel at what has lately come to feel (to me) like a continuous stream of this jingoistic propaganda. It's one thing to display great enthusiasm about your favorite race; it's another thing entirely to repeatedly imply (or even directly state) that every other event and series is inferior.

Good point. "Biggest race in the world" is completely subjective unless you define precisely what "biggest" means (ticket sales, TV audience, etc). Since many of the arguments here focus on abstractions like "stature", "significance", "cache", you're right - it's a pointless argument.

But for most posters, the debate isn't about what qualifies as the "biggest" - it's about a tendency to devalue other races, and other series, in favor of Indy, and the irritation many feel at what has lately come to feel (to me) like a continuous stream of this jingoistic propaganda. It's one thing to display great enthusiasm about your favorite race; it's another thing entirely to repeatedly imply (or even directly state) that every other event and series is inferior.
    Oh i know, I personally view the '500 as the worlds biggest race because it means the most to me. But the same doesn't apply for everybody else, and that's okay. Some people forget that sometimes

So you mean the most attended race in the world, gotcha.
    But not the most watched race in the world. Monaco has a bigger TV audience than Indy, and Monaco isn't even close to the most watched F1 race. So it's absurd to claim that a race is the "biggest" when it's watched by fewer people.

IMO, it would be better to just drop all the chest-thumping about who has the biggest one - I've heard that size doesn't matter, after all .

source? If i'm wrong then i'm wrong, I have no problem correcting an error i might have made, just curious where you are getting this information
    I googled it once, a year or so ago. Le Mans generally averaged 300k+, Indy 225k to 250k.

It was a time-consuming pain to find the attendance figures (note: the 100th running was an exception - I believe the Indy crowd was bigger for that one). I should have bookmarked the links, but by the time I finally got the info, I was too burned out to bother - though I think I posted the links here at the time. If you're interested, you can probably dig it out.

https://www.lemans.org/en/news/2017-...ectators/47094

Looks like they said 258,000 came last year. Indy was around 300,000 so they're definitely close.

Le Mans is so big, I wonder how many people attend the race for free too.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikemat5150 View Post

Looks like they said 258,000 came last year. Indy was around 300,000 so they're definitely close.

Yep. 258k for lemans according to promoter, all weekend attendance. 300k for Indy, single day. Took me all of 10 seconds to google.

I googled it once, a year or so ago. Le Mans generally averaged 300k+, Indy 225k to 250k.

It was a time-consuming pain to find the attendance figures (note: the 100th running was an exception - I believe the Indy crowd was bigger for that one). I should have bookmarked the links, but by the time I finally got the info, I was too burned out to bother - though I think I posted the links here at the time. If you're interested, you can probably dig it out.
    deleted

It was 2015 or 2016 when I last looked, so it wouldn't have had the 2017 attendance figures. It took a long time because I wanted figures for multiple years, so I could compare.

Blog Entries
    It was 2015 or 2016 when I last looked, so it wouldn't have had the 2017 attendance figures. It took a long time because I wanted figures for multiple years, so I could compare.
    It literally says 2017 attendance on the site.

does this really matter guys?? Both races attract hundreds of thousands of fans... they are both really close in terms of attendance. at this point, who cares, just move on

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Grigson View Post
    He reminds of someone else. Am I on to something?

does this really matter guys?? Both races attract hundreds of thousands of fans... they are both really close in terms of attendance. at this point, who cares, just move on
    No, we must continue to beat this topic until the death!

I always wondered if they count the people that live on or inside the track.

Indy was around 300,000...
    It wasn't but the Boles Believers believe whatever he says.

Too?
    "I would really like to go to NASCAR. I really enjoy NASCAR and if I could be there in a couple of years that's where I'd want to be." - Jeff Gordon (after testing a Formula Super Vee)

Very well said.

. . . a tendency to devalue other races, and other series, in favor of Indy, and the irritation many feel at what has lately come to feel (to me) like a continuous stream of this jingoistic propaganda. It's one thing to display great enthusiasm about your favorite race; it's another thing entirely to repeatedly imply (or even directly state) that every other event and series is inferior.
    Yes, this is so unnecessary. And what's the point?

Worldwide, racing fans have many different points of view. None are "wrong."

(But by any objective measure, stating or implying that the Indy 500 retains the stature it once had is, in fact, wrong. It makes me sad, but this is a fact.)

Blog Entries

Quite a lot from my understanding. IIRC, that is paid attendance admitted to the direct grounds but many more attend in areas outside of the main grandstand/ paddock areas.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TeamChevy View Post
    It was a big story because it was one of the top F1 drivers, coming to the biggest race in the world. Plain and simple. To insist this was all about him skipping Monaco is beyond ignorant and arrogant.
    Certainly your Indy-centric point of view. That's not at all the point of view of a large portion of international (Alonso's) fans point of view considering many new nothing of the 500 or had ever seen an Indycar.

Insider
    Quote Originally Posted by Nigel Red5 View Post
    Quite a lot from my understanding. IIRC, that is paid attendance admitted to the direct grounds but many more attend in areas outside of the main grandstand/ paddock areas.
    You have to pay wherever you go. There is no way to see it without a ticket. No way. And I have been there three times.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by RS2 View Post
    You have to pay wherever you go. There is no way to see it without a ticket. No way. And I have been there three times.
    I've been once and don't remember showing a ticket many places but that was many years ago.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Nigel Red5 View Post
    Certainly your Indy-centric point of view. That's not at all the point of view of a large portion of international (Alonso's) fans point of view considering many new nothing of the 500 or had ever seen an Indycar.
    I'm just looking at the facts. Most racing fans worldwide have heard of the Indy 500 and know very well that it's the premier race here in America, whether they're a fan of the race or not. Alonso coming to race in the Indy 500 was a big deal. Alonso coming to race in the 24 hours of Daytona, has not even come close to that amount of fanfare.

Citizen of Hinchtown evil.hEiNz's Avatar
    Most racing fans worldwide have heard of the Indy 500 and know very well that it's the premier race here in America, whether they're a fan of the race or not.
    Heard of it, yes, but most of 'em don't know it's THE race in the US. They know it's a big one, but if you asked them which race would be the most important one across the pond, they wouldn't know unless they're fans or motorsport enthusiasts anyway. They usually know the term but can't quite figure out that it's an open-wheel race - which is unfortunate, since the series deserves a lot more attention, especially with F1 seemingly becoming shittier by the minute.

Alonso coming to race in the Indy 500 was a big deal.
    Indeed, because over here, the media made people (especially F1 fans that don't really know anything else) aware of the 500's status - which is a good thing in my eyes, and in the eyes of the many Spaniards and other Europeans that tuned into the race for the first time because of him. Because of that, more people actually know about IndyCar than before, though it's not that many in total, I assume.

I wish Fred all the best at Daytona and Le Mans this year and really, really hope he returns to Indy next year. And I hope his F1 season is a return to form as well.

I have long missed the days when you could see a great driver run a sports car race this weekend and a Grand Prix the next weekend and then show up at Indy on top of that.
    "Only a fool fights in a burning house."-Kang

"If you listen to fools....The Maaahhhhb Ruuuules....."-Ronnie James Dio

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sea Fury View Post
    I wish Fred all the best at Daytona and Le Mans this year and really, really hope he returns to Indy next year. And I hope his F1 season is a return to form as well.

I have long missed the days when you could see a great driver run a sports car race this weekend and a Grand Prix the next weekend and then show up at Indy on top of that.
    I totally agree with all points.