Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 2018 Liveries

Kart racer, Indyfan 1988- SteveK51's Avatar

They're not even trying to use the space for sponsors. Put a number there already!

Those small associates could easily be on the rear end plate.
    The artist formally known as 00steven/Little Dingo

Quote Originally Posted by SeeUinMay View Post

Reminded me of this one
    That was such a beautiful racecar. Thouroughly miss it, and watching the guy who drove it.
    77 Forever - Rest in Peace Dan.

- @KBrughelli11
    - @AcrossTheBricks

"Life is too short to be consumed by the circumstances that make us sour." - Helio Castroneves

We have got to give this up guys, the number is going to be on the wing. Maybe next year it could be changed but really I don't see why it is so important. If a team can sell the space for sponsorship, then that is what it should be utilized for. Teams won't make any money by placing the number in that position, and isn't that what we want? The teams need to squeeze every dollar they can out of sponsorship opportunities when they arise, so why would we limit the space that is already scarce on a modern IndyCar?

Those associate sponsorships could be placed on the rear wing in the road course/short oval configuration, but then what would you do for the speedway configuration? Put them back and have numbers move places on the car from track to track? What about Indianapolis, the event where you will have the best opportunity to sell sponsorship? Are you going to put a number where someone may step up and give you a little cash to help pay for tires, crew members or crash damage? I don't think so.

Sorry for the rant, but some things on here become such an item of focus for absolutely no reason and I find it silly to make such a deal out of number placement when revenue of any kind should be the primary focus.
    Hi! I'm the owner and editor of Open-Wheels.com. Follow us on Twitter or like us on Facebook! If you would like to discuss racing or opportunities with the website, feel free to contact me on here or by e-mail at tanner@open-wheels.com.

Yes, the fixation on numbers is starting to look a little mental, gang.

Man I dig this car. The open rear wheels butted up against ramps has a 'chopper with bobbed fender' look that is so cool!

Andretti's liveries are just bad. The only real thing on them is silver nose. This "Viceroy" stripe is a perfect example of lazy design. Veach's car also carries horrible color combination...
    Nastalgia & headache.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nospheratez View Post
    Andretti's liveries are just bad. The only real thing on them is silver nose. This "Viceroy" stripe is a perfect example of lazy design. Veach's car also carries horrible color combination...
    It's called branding... I can assure you, that now iconic Andretti Viceroy ribbon isn't going anywhere.

They started it with PT's "Chrome horn" and it stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by nospheratez View Post
    Disagree as well. That stripe design is distinctive, and no matter what the sponsor is, you instantly know what team the car belongs to. Penske does the same thing with their pinstripe/2-tone designs (which are going to look fantastic on this new body), and it makes them immediately recognizable. Even DCR has gotten in on the act the last couple of years.

I have never identified a car on track by its number. I've always done so with the livery. So I'm struggling to see why this is a big deal. Maybe it is a generational thing?

Quote Originally Posted by RTS7 View Post
    I have never identified a car on track by its number. I've always done so with the livery. So I'm struggling to see why this is a big deal. Maybe it is a generational thing?
    at speed no, can't see them! on TV though it's helpful.
    "If your car was a dog, then you had to figure it out and test your own limits. And we didn't go to a wind tunnel – we did it in the first turn at Indianapolis."

Quote Originally Posted by ACCP View Post
    Disagree as well. That stripe design is distinctive, and no matter what the sponsor is, you instantly know what team the car belongs to. Penske does the same thing with their pinstripe/2-tone designs (which are going to look fantastic on this new body), and it makes them immediately recognizable. Even DCR has gotten in on the act the last couple of years.
    Yup. There is something to be said about consistent branding. How many livery combinations did Penske run in 2017? Quite a few, but you always knew they were his cars. The Viceroy stripe has become synonymous with the Andretti name and to incorporate that element into the team's liveries makes complete sense.
    Real drivers don't need fenders!

Quote Originally Posted by Pelican Joe View Post
    Yup. There is something to be said about consistent branding. How many livery combinations did Penske run in 2017? Quite a few, but you always knew they were his cars. The Viceroy stripe has become synonymous with the Andretti name and to incorporate that element into the team's liveries makes complete sense.
    ...and the chrome on the nose looks great!

Based off of my user name, i have been anxiously waiting to see RHR's 2018 car, and OH BOY!!! I LOVE IT!!! I think that DHL livery looks great! I am soooooo excited for 2018 season to start, I also can't wait to see the NAPA car, the Menards car, and the ARROW car!!

I love this 2018 UAK and the liveries i have seen so far, both from fans with their own renderings, the teams in testing, and now the two we have seen for sure, I LOVE THEM!!
    World's biggest Ryan Hunter-Reay fan!

Born in 1992, I've been lucky enough to have attended every '500 since 2000. Milwaukee (RIP) from 2003 - 2015, Iowa 2007-present, Long Beach 2016, Road America 1998-2007, 2016-present,
    Michigan 500 (RIP): 1997-2001 and Mid-Ohio in 2008

Greenlight took down the Veach car, so here it is. I think it will be a chrome copper for Veach's car which will be confusing with Hinch's chrome gold but oh well
    "Lyrically, I'm Mario Andretti on the mo-mo" - A Tribe Called Quest

Quote Originally Posted by Pelican Joe View Post
    ...and the chrome on the nose looks great!
    I also believe that Veach's color combination is based on the corporate colors or Group One Thousand One. They might not look the greatest on an IndyCar, but the sponsor also has a brand they need to maintain. That said - looking at the diecast again - I think the car will look a lot slicker in person!

Quote Originally Posted by Joeremi View Post
    Yes, the fixation on numbers is starting to look a little mental, gang.

Man I dig this car. The open rear wheels butted up against ramps has a 'chopper with bobbed fender' look that is so cool!
    I'll have to respectfully disagree, I prefer open wheel race cars to look like, well, open wheel race cars and not motorcycles. The "ramp" needs to go, and expose more of the rear wheel. It's hideous.

Quote Originally Posted by RTS7 View Post
    Personally i agree, even though I am the one who posed the question. I asked the question regarding the numbers because yea it must be a generational thing. I can identify a car the second i see it, but my 88 year old grandpa can't and relies on seeing the numbers on the car. In the past i think it was more of a necessity with team marlboro, team target, team players, team kool, each having very identical cars. Nowadays we don't really have the same problem.

I was just asking on behalf of my granpda is all .

Quote Originally Posted by RHRfan#1 View Post
    Personally i agree, even though I am the one who posed the question. I asked the question regarding the numbers because yea it must be a generational thing. I can identify a car the second i see it, but my 88 year old grandpa can't and relies on seeing the numbers on the car. In the past i think it was more of a necessity with team marlboro, team target, team players, team kool, each having very identical cars. Nowadays we don't really have the same problem.
    I think this makes some sense. For example, this really isn't an issue in F1 (which also has small numbers) because the liveries are consistent all year long. But with some IndyCar liveries changing on a near-weekly basis, the numbers might help some people.

SPM just announced on facebook that they will unveil their 2018 liveries on February 1st!

Quote Originally Posted by ACCP View Post
    The problem is not in the stripe itself, but rather in how it performed by designer. It's plain, it's boring, it consumes the space on the car and restricts possibilities for sponsors to integrate the elements of their corporate design into livery. Also how about the drivers? Is it okay for their own individuality to drive the car, that painted like someone else's driver's helmet?

Speaking about Penske's retro-bul**it paint-schemes - they look like electrokarts in home for the elderly, not like badass racecars. I wish that someday they'll replace their current design with NASCAR's one. This would be a huge step forward.

I can't wait to see the Nuclear Banana Menard's scheme on the UAK18
    2018 Silly Season scorecard and Where are the Indy 500 winning cars! http://inrd.gotdns.com/indystuff/

I cannot wait to see how Napa car turns out. Seen some great design it for it. Also wish Pense would do a blood red Verizon car (check mark in Verizon is red) with black accents. I always felt the cars should have more pop.

Blog Entries
    Waiting for anything from Penske with "pop" is like waiting for Sessions to show up at a presser in tie die.

Quote Originally Posted by Nigel Red5 View Post
    Waiting for anything from Penske with "pop" is like waiting for Sessions to show up at a presser in tie die.
    KEEP POUNDIN' THE ROCK

Given new fans who aren't familiar with the car liveries rely on the car number to identify on the leaderboard in person or on TV - they should move the number to the panel in front of the rear wheel and move the small associates to rear wing or split them up and run some (like Firestone) under the number.

Quote Originally Posted by Nigel Red5 View Post
    Umm okay, do you NOT remember the Nuclear Banana.

Quote Originally Posted by carl_fisher_78 View Post
    I'll have to respectfully disagree, I prefer open wheel race cars to look like, well, open wheel race cars and not motorcycles. The "ramp" needs to go, and expose more of the rear wheel. It's hideous.

Does anyone know what the rationale is behind requiring teams to put car numbers in/on specific locations?

If you squint at the hero cards, you can see inverted ABC designs on Foyt's cars for 2018.

http://twitter.com/AJFoytRacing/stat...22891272200192

[IMG]Dai un'occhiata al Tweet di @AJFoytRacing: https://twitter.com/AJFoytRacing/status/950822891272200192?s=09[/IMG]
    Sotto of prewiev