Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Danica confirmed out at SPM

Insider
    Quote Originally Posted by Jsieczka View Post
    The C car's job at Coyne is to fund the A car, who does a better job of that is the question.
    Pippa, if what I read here is true...
    Chicago Blackhawks done didn't do it again!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MoparsRule View Post
    Her Dad was never an issue during her time at SHR, why would he miraculously appear out of nowhere to become any sort of a problem again?
    Chaparral4 continually posts a rehash of internet forum rumor and speculation, then tries to pass it off as inside knowledge. When Danica ran Indy with Rahal, he was probably still in elementary school.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Wilke View Post
    Depends how big the check is. For enough money, Coyne scrounges up another chassis, hires a crew and runs a 4th car.
    Given the amount of equipment they demolished last year (mostly through no fault of their own), I'd think Dale would love to have an extra chassis. Didn't he run 4 a couple years ago?
    I'm from a place called the internet. Nothing disturbs me.

Honestly, I think a lot of people are hoping she doesn't get a ride at all. I've gone to the 500 the last 7 years and not one person I ran across in all that time said "I wish Danica were still here." I don't really recall her name being brought up at all for that matter... The race is far bigger than any one person driving in it. It's not like once the green flag drops the value of the product will be diminished because she's not there.

And I'm not sure she even has a goal of winning the race anymore anyway. I just can't see her having the nerve (or stupidity, lol) to make some of the moves that Hunter Reay and Sato have made the last few years to get the win. The spec car era has definitely raised the bar in terms of what risks drivers are willing to take to win.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris A View Post
    The spec car era has definitely raised the bar in terms of what risks drivers are willing to take to win.
    Can't agree with that. Plenty of risky maneuvers in the history of the 500, and in cars far less safe. Guys used to put their lives on the line, literally, just to qualify.

Quote Originally Posted by Spike View Post
    He was banned from the pits.

However, that would be a good name for the opening act of the carb day concert: "Band From the Pits."
    But I can only strum one song as of yet. "Wish You Were Here".
    "Far better it is to dare mighty things, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat" -Teddy Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by debdrake View Post
    Given the amount of equipment they demolished last year (mostly through no fault of their own), I'd think Dale would love to have an extra chassis. Didn't he run 4 a couple years ago?
    Despite all the crash damage last year, the only tub destroyed was Bourdais' at Indy. Rumour has it that they have acquired another chassis to go back to 4 tubs (only rumoured though, I have no proof of this), but they did run 4 cars in 2016. It's likely they had 5 tubs in 2016 and destroyed one with Daly's crash at Texas, so they were down to 4 tubs in 2017, and then lost another one with Bourdais.

I would imagine they are back to 4 tubs like last year with the idea of running 3 at Indy, with 1 spare.

Quote Originally Posted by Insighter View Post
    Can't agree with that. Plenty of risky maneuvers in the history of the 500, and in cars far less safe. Guys used to put their lives on the line, literally, just to qualify.
    The riskiest race move I can recall before spec era was Little Al and Fittipaldi going side by side into Turn 3 at the end of the 90 race. Everyone made such a HUGE deal of how brave Unser was for doing that at the time.... yet now that is commonplace. And I don't recall seeing many make the moves Sato made the last few years, or anyone putting 2 wheels on the backstretch grass to take the lead.

Say what you want about Danica, and I think she gets around Indy extremely well, but I don't see her sticking a car where she shouldn't for a chance to win. Not with the Yoga career ahead and money to be made on the Food Network hocking cookbooks...

Quote Originally Posted by GRW1983 View Post
    Despite all the crash damage last year, the only tub destroyed was Bourdais' at Indy. Rumour has it that they have acquired another chassis to go back to 4 tubs (only rumoured though, I have no proof of this), but they did run 4 cars in 2016. It's likely they had 5 tubs in 2016 and destroyed one with Daly's crash at Texas, so they were down to 4 tubs in 2017, and then lost another one with Bourdais.

I would imagine they are back to 4 tubs like last year with the idea of running 3 at Indy, with 1 spare.
    In Pruett's Open Wheel Awards article he said they tossed two or three tubs last year.

Racing Fan
    In Pruett's Open Wheel Awards article he said they tossed two or three tubs last year.
    I know it's off-topic for this thread but it would be great to have a database of all the tubs built and where they are now.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris A View Post
    The riskiest race move I can recall before spec era was Little Al and Fittipaldi going side by side into Turn 3 at the end of the 90 race...
    That was 89.

Cautiously Optimistic drewdawg727's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Paff View Post
    Exactly, Pippa has no business in the 500 in the first place
    Why not?

She has Aaron Rodgers to fall back on

Slightly off the topic:

This fascination with "tubs" seems a bit overdone to me, and by me - I'm guilty of doing the same thing. After most crashes, the first thing I go over and check is "did it get the tub?" While expensive at $95K (last year's price - not sure how much extra the new stuff for 2018 kit adds to base price), there are a bunch of other parts on those cars that are also very pricey, and you can spend a crap ton of money without damaging the tub at all.

So, counting "tubs" doesn't seem to be the right metric for how much/little a team is spending on parts. I can see a team having 5 tubs in the shop but after a few races only having 3 gearboxes - thus they really only have 3 "cars"!

The part we don't know is how much capital a team has to outlay to maintain the number of "cars" they desire. I'm guessing "tubs" themselves aren't the #1 line item in that category! (wings/ sidepods, undertrays, etc. - seem like the leaders in keeping the parts list "full" all season long! Tubs are also relatively repairable, though teams don't always like to do that for performance reasons.

Example: A driver wipes out left side in crash at St. Pete. Then takes out right side at Long Beach. The bill for those 2 crashes will exceed the cost of replacing the tub. So, a crash that "tubbed" a car may or may not be as expensive as a crash that takes out a couple sides and the gearbox.

Caveat: Building up a new tub is a LOT of work for the teams - so the loss of all those man hours getting a tub ready may "real" reason why we all get excited by counting "tubs." The tub is also the closet thing we can define as the "car" these days, so I get why it's elevated, even though it's just a part like the rest of the car.

Side note: I remember when sprint cars started to be mass produced and a WoO team explained to me (when I was like 15) how little they cared about damaging a frame. I think we were at Pevely, MO and a guy had crashed and the front end was trashed. The team guys were all in the pits after the race drinking beer and taking parts off that frame. I questioned there ability to make it to the next nights race. They said "nah, we'll get up a little early tomorrow morning and build a new car at the hotel - we've got 2 more frames in the trailer."

He then went on about how the frame is just another part these days. A big part, but just another part. He was more worried about the broken rear end. The team had a "chassis" deal, but had to pay almost list price for rear ends at the time. Now a days, hurting shocks might be the bigger concern for a dirt track team - those are expensive and mean a LOT for going fast.
    Last edited by step33T; 01-10-2018 at 02:04 PM.
    We flipped our finger to the King of England
    Stole our country from the Indians
    With god on our side and guns in our hands
    We took it for our own!

Quote Originally Posted by rrrr View Post
    Chaparral4 continually posts a rehash of internet forum rumor and speculation, then tries to pass it off as inside knowledge. When Danica ran Indy with Rahal, he was probably still in elementary school.
    Ok Flanders. This coming from a guy that equates himself to a holier-than-thou fundamentalist in a children's cartoon. You must still be stuck in elementary school. Harrrr Harrr!!!!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by step33T View Post
    This fascination with "tubs" seems a bit overdone to me, and by me - I'm guilty of doing the same thing. After most crashes, the first thing I go over and check is "did it get the tub?" While expensive at $95K (last year's price - not sure how much extra the new stuff for 2018 kit adds to base price), there are a bunch of other parts on those cars that are also very pricey, and you can spend a crap ton of money without damaging the tub at all.

So, counting "tubs" doesn't seem to be the right metric for how much/little a team is spending on parts. I can see a team having 5 tubs in the shop but after a few races only having 3 gearboxes - thus they really only have 3 "cars"!

The part we don't know is how much capital a team has to outlay to maintain the number of "cars" they desire. I'm guessing "tubs" themselves aren't the #1 line item in that category! (wings/ sidepods, undertrays, etc. - seem like the leaders in keeping the parts list "full" all season long! Tubs are also relatively repairable, though teams don't always like to do that for performance reasons.

Example: A driver wipes out left side in crash at St. Pete. Then takes out right side at Long Beach. The bill for those 2 crashes will exceed the cost of replacing the tub. So, a crash that "tubbed" a car may or may not be as expensive as a crash that takes out a couple sides and the gearbox.

Caveat: Building up a new tub is a LOT of work for the teams - so the loss of all those man hours getting a tub ready may "real" reason why we all get excited by counting "tubs." The tub is also the closet thing we can define as the "car" these days, so I get why it's elevated, even though it's just a part like the rest of the car.

Side note: I remember when sprint cars started to be mass produced and a WoO team explained to me (when I was like 15) how little they cared about damaging a frame. I think we were at Pevely, MO and a guy had crashed and the front end was trashed. The team guys were all in the pits after the race drinking beer and taking parts off that frame. I questioned there ability to make it to the next nights race. They said "nah, we'll get up a little early tomorrow morning and build a new car at the hotel - we've got 2 more frames in the trailer."

He then went on about how the frame is just another part these days. A big part, but just another part. He was more worried about the broken rear end. The team had a "chassis" deal, but had to pay almost list price for rear ends at the time. Now a days, hurting shocks might be the bigger concern for a dirt track team - those are expensive and mean a LOT for going fast.
    You can have 5k parts, but without a tub, you have no car. It's analogous to the frame in a sprint car, but there's about 1/4 the parts on a sprint car. They were micros, but I can vouch for the minimal extra time it takes to swap over to a new frame. We pretty much tore down the car after every race night anyway.

rrrr's is no Flanders (rrrr's that's a compliment to you )!

Quote Originally Posted by mainemandean View Post
    I've been wondering if that's a factor.
    I know someone who sat adjacent him at race late in her stint with Andretti. He wouldn't stop bitching about how the series wasn't promoting her enough. It got annoying after a while. If he was in the good graces of the teams Danica drove for, as others have indicated, it makes you wonder why he was in the stands during the race and not some "exclusive"area for "team" poeple.

Also, there' the "Bev" rule after her mother bitched out a track worker at Milwaukee over apropriate hot pits attire. That was clearly addressed on the next race telecast with Gary Gerald.

However, that would be a good name for the opening act of the carb day concert: "Band From the Pits."
    Certainly a better name than "Band is the Pits".

I've just read that article and I find that a little hard to believe.

I actually tweeted the Coyne guys after the Gutierrez crash in Toronto and they said then that the car was repairable and that the only tub lost was Bourdais' from Indy. In fact, someone recently posted about visiting the Coyne shop and Bourdais' Indy tub still being there, albeit not race-worthy any more.

Phoenix (Bourdais), Indy (Davison), Texas (Jones & Vautier), Toronto (Gutierrez) were all badly-damaging crashes, but in all occasions the cars were repaired, even if the tubs needed minor repairs. Only the Bourdais tub from Indy was destroyed. If Coyne genuinely had lost two or three tubs, he would have struggled to run both the #18 & #19 at times last year.

Quote Originally Posted by MoparsRule View Post
    Her Dad was never an issue during her time at SHR, why would he miraculously appear out of nowhere to become any sort of a problem again?
    While T. J. Patrick was never a story during her time in NASCAR, before her final race with SHR at Homestead, he posted a video to Facebook that showed no one working on the 10 car. He captioned the video with something to the extent of how it was thirty minutes after practice and every single team was working on their car, but no one was working on his daughter's car. He called it something like "what the fans don't see" or "what the media doesn't report" (I can't remember) and implied that the reason for her struggles relative to her teammates was that SHR never cared about her team; they just took the check. So, he's still a bit of a personality.

I do not think T. J. is going to influence whether or not Danica has a ride for the Daytona or Indy 500s, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Wilke View Post
    That may be true but Ed Jones was pretty darn fast last year, too and finished 3rd at Indy.
    Agreed, perhaps why Ganassi went after Jones. Knowing he was working with a little bit less. No offense to Coyne, it just seems clear he can't afford equal equipment across the board. Plus Texas was a continuing nightmare after loosing Bourdais for the season.

Better yet, Paul McCartney could be lead singing Band on the run. LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by Chaparral4 View Post
    Better yet, Paul McCartney could be lead singing Band on the run. LOL.
    Only if they ate the concession food.

The Rolling Tenderloins

Well add Ganassi to the confirmed "out" category. Both Daytona and Indy.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...00/1027097001/