Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Helio Got a Bumb Deal

Helio Got a Bumb Deal

I just cannot understand why Roger would take the most popular driver in the Indy Car Series, a four-time 500 winner, who finished second in last year's race and almost won the championship, then boot him out of a full-time Indy Car ride. The fans and Helio deserved better. IF it had been Helio's choice to step out, well that's understandable, but I see this as Roger's doing based on age and NOT results. Indy Car should have persuaded Roger to allow Helio a goodbye tour season for his own benefit and for the fans. Sure, a ride for Indy this year and then.... (crickets chirping) Roger, it's a good thing there's not an age limitation for car owners.

Insider
    Helio is still going to be at Indy so it's not like he is going to be gone....

He has been the weakest link over the entire season for quite some time now. During the last few years at Penske, he has seen teammates win championships and significantly more races.

It's not crickets from Helio either. He is racing in some really big races between the 24 Hours of Daytona, 12 Hours of Sebing, Petit Le Mans, and who knows, maybe he'll get a shot at Le Mans in the future too.

Every career has a natural progression and it was time for Helio to move on with Roger's expansion in NASCAR and IMSA.

I am also firmly under the belief that Indycar shouldn't tell team's how to run their business. Roger can do whatever he likes and I'm sure Helio will have a great time racing sports cars this year with Acura. IMSA is a great series and I highly recommend checking it out if you haven't before.

Cautiously Optimistic drewdawg727's Avatar
    Was it stated anywhere that Helio was disappointed about what has gone on with these backstage decisions regarding his career? If not, then what you are posting is really just an opinion and nothing more. He deserves to race where he wants.

Blog Entries
    maybe acura has more say,,
    I love the sport more than I hate the past,

You don't know for sure that Penske didn't have a conversation with Helio where he basically said, "You're under contract for me, so I'd like you to drive my Sportscar program. If you want to stay in IndyCar, I'll let you out of your contract and you can go find a ride somewhere else."

Since Helio's under contract with Penske, he's sort of obligated to do the work that Penske wants him to do - assuming he wants to be paid.

Honestly, Penske has been extremely loyal to Helio. I was pretty shocked that Penske retained him throughout the tax evasion scandal.
    Hardly a bum deal considering the alternatives.

Helio could have said no to Roger.
    Third Gen Indy Fan

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by pfc_m_drake View Post
    You don't know for sure that Penske didn't have a conversation with Helio where he basically said, "You're under contract for me, so I'd like you to drive my Sportscar program. If you want to stay in IndyCar, I'll let you out of your contract and you can go find a ride somewhere else."

Since Helio's under contract with Penske, he's sort of obligated to do the work that Penske wants him to do - assuming he wants to be paid.

Honestly, Penske has been extremely loyal to Helio. I was pretty shocked that Penske retained him throughout the tax evasion scandal.
    Hardly a bum deal considering the alternatives.
    tax scandal,, no worries he can dance around anything

Quote Originally Posted by rebelman2006 View Post
    I just cannot understand why Roger would take the most popular driver in the Indy Car Series, a four-time 500 winner, who finished second in last year's race and almost won the championship, then boot him out of a full-time Indy Car ride. The fans and Helio deserved better. IF it had been Helio's choice to step out, well that's understandable, but I see this as Roger's doing based on age and NOT results. Indy Car should have persuaded Roger to allow Helio a goodbye tour season for his own benefit and for the fans. Sure, a ride for Indy this year and then.... (crickets chirping) Roger, it's a good thing there's not an age limitation for car owners.
    When did Helio win his fourth?
    "The track will choose who's going to win."

Tony Kanaan

First off, Helio would never have initially gotten a ride w/ Roger if not for the unfortunate death of Greg Moore. Greg was by far the more talented driver of the 2. Secondly, Helio has not won the Indy 500 4 times, he's won it three (and one of those some people don't think he really won - but that's been beaten to death). Thirdly, you think Helio got a bum deal from Roger who employed, and continues to employ him, for nearly 2 decades? Name one other driver who has driven Indy Cars for Roger this long? There's your crickets chirping. Roger's job isn't to give fans "what they deserve," it's to win races and championships all while making sponsors happy. And finally, if you're going off results all three of Helio's teammates have won a championship - Helio has not.

Your post has no facts, it's all your whining and emotion. Get over it, he's not a full-time Indy Car driver anymore. Roger has done more for this sport than you could even possibly fathom. This series would be non-existent without his time and efforts.

Helio expressed his desire to stay in Indycar....there are quotes in August of him saying he would make it as hard of a decision for them to move him as he could. He wanted IndyCar......HOWEVER.....he has more loyalties and trust in Roger than his own personal wants.....so he went with Roger on this one.
    2012 Races: St.Pete, Indianapolis and THE MILWAUKEE MILE!!!!!!
    2013 Races: Indianapolis and Indyfest 2013
    2014 Races: Popped the Wife's Indy 500 Cherry and Indyfest 2014
    2015 Race: ABC Supply Wisconsin 250
    2016 Races: 100th Running of the Indianapolis 500 and Road America!

Blog Entries
    He's gotten many deals while driving for Penske, none of them bum.

Quote Originally Posted by EdJVuky View Post
    Helio could have said no to Roger.
    You should read Helio's book. Then you'll understand why Helio would never say no to Roger.

Quote Originally Posted by carl_fisher_78 View Post
    First off, Helio would never have initially gotten a ride w/ Roger if not for the unfortunate death of Greg Moore. Greg was by far the more talented driver of the 2.
    You seem to have forgotten what kind of impressive things Helio showed while running for teams like Hogan and Bettenhausen, Moore was obviously a huge talent but that Greg 'was by far the more talented driver of the 2' is debatable.
    IndyCar fan4ever.

I'd rather sweep Rogers floor than take that Foyt entry
    "Far better it is to dare mighty things, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat" -Teddy Roosevelt

It's the OP's opinion, yes. Like many other threads and posts so it doesn't bother me he expressed it.
    He also said, 4 - 500's not Indy 500's. I had to think about that for a moment & read it again.
    I like Helio, wish he had another year in OW but these things happen.
    He took a good deal when he had the chance.

Quote Originally Posted by castronevesfan3 View Post
    You should read Helio's book. Then you'll understand why Helio would never say no to Roger.

You seem to have forgotten what kind of impressive things Helio showed while running for teams like Hogan and Bettenhausen, Moore was obviously a huge talent but that Greg 'was by far the more talented driver of the 2' is debatable.
    I'll stick to my opinion that Greg was the better racer, but you can't argue Helio got the ride because of Greg's death. No one is saying Helio isn't a good driver, what most of us are saying is that the original poster is being emotional and over dramatic.

It's a business decision. Of course you have the right to be unhappy with the result, we don't know how the decision was arrived at.

Roger, it's a good thing there's not an age limitation for car owners.
    Ha, ha. Made me laugh.

Quote Originally Posted by Mearsfan53081 View Post
    He wanted IndyCar......HOWEVER.....he has more loyalties and trust in Roger than his own personal wants.....so he went with Roger on this one.
    Bird in the hand....

I'll stick to my opinion that Greg was the better racer
    That's okay and I respect your opinion of course but I never said that I disagreed with you, I only said that you could debate about who was/would've been the better of the two, a sad fact is that we will never really know it.

,but you can't argue Helio got the ride because of Greg's death.
    I'll not argue on whether Helio got the ride because of Greg's death because that is a fact. To be more precise, Helio's career would've been over after Fontana thanks to Emmo for being more than a poor manager.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Unzerdog View Post
    I'd rather sweep Rogers floor than take that Foyt entry
    nah.. they would make you paint

I'll stick to my opinion that Greg was the better racer, but you can't argue Helio got the ride because of Greg's death. No one is saying Helio isn't a good driver, what most of us are saying is that the original poster is being emotional and over dramatic.
    correct me if im wrong... Greg Moore was signed to drive for Penske starting in 2000.... then he dies, and Helio takes the spot. So how did Helio not get the ride because of Greg's death? That's literally how it happened
    World's biggest Ryan Hunter-Reay fan!

When not discussing opinions, I try my best to only post facts, if I post something factually incorrect please correct me with a source (if possible)

Quote Originally Posted by RHRfan#1 View Post
    correct me if im wrong... Greg Moore was signed to drive for Penske starting in 2000.... then he dies, and Helio takes the spot. So how did Helio not get the ride because of Greg's death? That's literally how it happened
    The ride could've went to anyone after, but he chose Helio.
    I like Ren and chevy. I don't care much for djski. That's my 'scientific' poll of one. - -Mannishboy-

RP could have dumped him during the tax thing but didn't. Helio has done very well for himself with Team Penske. I'm sure he's disappointed, but we need to move on.
    "If your car was a dog, then you had to figure it out and test your own limits. And we didn't go to a wind tunnel – we did it in the first turn at Indianapolis."

Quote Originally Posted by pfc_m_drake View Post
    I was pretty shocked that Penske retained him throughout the tax evasion scandal.
    According to the courts records, Penske handled the Castroneves signing in a rather sloppy fashion. With Moore's sudden death, Penske, Phillip Morris, and the agent for Greg & Helio wanted to fill the vacancy very quickly. So they took Moore's contract, crossed out Greg's name, and hand wrote in Helio's name in pen.

Penske has shown himself to be very loyal to Castroneves. Probably the most loyal over the years maybe except for Rick Mears.

I'm not even an Helio fan, but I also think he should have been given a proper send-off.

Quote Originally Posted by Doctorindy View Post
    According to the courts records, Penske handled the Castroneves signing in a rather sloppy fashion. With Moore's sudden death, Penske, Phillip Morris, and the agent for Greg & Helio wanted to fill the vacancy very quickly. So they took Moore's contract, crossed out Greg's name, and hand wrote in Helio's name in pen.
    Agreed - so you might argue the 'sloppiness' was part of the reason Penske stood by Castroneves during the ordeal.

Quote Originally Posted by Doctorindy View Post
    Penske has shown himself to be very loyal to Castroneves. Probably the most loyal over the years maybe except for Rick Mears.
    Also agreed.

Quote Originally Posted by jp View Post
    When did Helio win his fourth?
    Heck, when did he win his third?

Quote Originally Posted by Djski442 View Post
    The ride could've went to anyone after, but he chose Helio.
    i agree, so Helio got the ride because Moore tragically lost his life. if he hadn't helio would have been out of the series probably as he had no money

Quote Originally Posted by mainemandean View Post
    Heck, when did he win his third?

haha!

i agree, so Helio got the ride because Moore tragically lost his life. if he hadn't helio would have been out of the series probably as he had no money
    We can say the same thing about a lot of drivers. This isn't the worlds safest sport. We can go on forever conecting dots about what driver got what ride becsuse og someones death.

yes we can, never said it wasn't dangerous. just keeping things factual. I never liked Helio because of the fact he never once acknowledged that the only reason he got to drive for penske is because my childhood favorite died. James Hinchcliffe handled it appropriately stating several times that "this is dans car" and that he was lucky to be there when he drove the #27 for AA in 2012

yes we can, never said it wasn't dangerous. just keeping things factual. I never liked Helio because of the fact he never once acknowledged that the only reason he got to drive for penske is because my childhood favorite died. James Hinchcliffe handled it appropriately stating several times that "this is dans car" and that he was lucky to be there when he drove the #27 for AA in 2012
    Maybe you should read Helio's book as well, than you'll know Helio handled it appropriate too, just in a different way than James did.