Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Helio Got a Bumb Deal

Quote Originally Posted by Andretti91 View Post
    Could have counts now? Then I give you the winningest Indy 500 driver of all time, Michael Andretti! Hell why not, plenty of trackforum people think 4th place wins it.
    The point is Indy matters, and you'll be hard-pressed to find a driver who is better at Indy than Helio. He's won it 3 times and those CLOSE second-place finishes prove how competitive he still is there.

Don't over-react like that.
    "Only a fool fights in a burning house."-Kang

"If you listen to fools....The Maaahhhhb Ruuuules....."-Ronnie James Dio

Instead of counting wins, championships, etc., maybe you should count on how much money he brings into the team. Someone who consistently finishes near the top could bring in more money than someone who wins occasionally. I really don't know where Helio fits in by that measure.

As far as Helio himself is concerned, I really don't care for his Energizer bunny on amphetamines personality/shtick.

After much contemplation, I think the person least offended by the recent turn of events is Helio.

Heck....3 of Helio's 2nd place 500 finishes are by less than a half a second COMBINED!
    2012 Races: St.Pete, Indianapolis and THE MILWAUKEE MILE!!!!!!
    2013 Races: Indianapolis and Indyfest 2013
    2014 Races: Popped the Wife's Indy 500 Cherry and Indyfest 2014
    2015 Race: ABC Supply Wisconsin 250
    2016 Races: 100th Running of the Indianapolis 500 and Road America!

Is Helio bigger than Team Penske? Roger ran him for 18 years. 18 years at Penske, think about that and the history of Penske.

Roger talked about sponsorship and experienced people when they confirmed pairing down to 3 cars. He isn't one to just field a car for the sake of fielding a car. They needed people and resources for the IMSA gig. The team has a full (and highly competitive) plate across the countries 3 major racing series.

Helio never won a championship and has been given 8 chances at winning a 4th 500. Will be given a 9th shot, maybe even more.

Helio was always a meh driver who lucked into his Penske ride. Just my opinion.
    RIP Justin! WWJCD

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Hardscrabble View Post
    Has everyone forgotten how Helio and TK were honored all last year for their 20 years in Indycar...
    Apparently.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobcat00 View Post
    Instead of counting wins, championships, etc., maybe you should count on how much money he brings into the team. Someone who consistently finishes near the top could bring in more money than someone who wins occasionally. I really don't know where Helio fits in by that measure.

As far as Helio himself is concerned, I really don't care for his Energizer bunny on amphetamines personality/shtick.
    Some people say his personality is genuine, but I just don't buy it and I've seen him totally ignore people numerous times. regardless he knows when and how to turn on the charm for the cameras.

Quote Originally Posted by Nigel Red5 View Post
    Some people say his personality is genuine, but I just don't buy it and I've seen him totally ignore people numerous times. regardless he knows when and how to turn on the charm for the cameras.
    Reminds me of what was written on Jimmy Vasser's Baseball/Hero Card from the CART days.

Last month Helio listed his house for sale for $2.89mil, he also owns the house next door that he uses as an Airbnb worth $1.5 mil and is building a $7mil house. Yeah Roger really shafted him. By the way Helio is in the car biz because of Roger.

Quote Originally Posted by Djski442 View Post
    Its not an overreaction, ive actually dealt with people that hate Helio because he's in what was supposed to be Gregs ride. They didn't blame him for what happened, but they hate or root against him because of it. It doesn't make any sense at all.
    It was an overreaction in the sense that none of the posts in this thread justified the comment.

I'm sorry you had to deal with the hate you describe, but that didn't happen in this thread, and the posters here should not be tarred with that brush.

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Grigson View Post
    Helio was always a meh driver who lucked into his Penske ride. Just my opinion.
    You have him confused with Ryan Briscoe.

Quote Originally Posted by clevelandindyfa View Post
    Last month Helio listed his house for sale for $2.89mil, he also owns the house next door that he uses as an Airbnb worth $1.5 mil and is building a $7mil house. Yeah Roger really shafted him. By the way Helio is in the car biz because of Roger.
    dang! i guess some drivers still make pretty good cash! or maybe that leftover from Philip Morris
    World's biggest Ryan Hunter-Reay fan!

Born in 1992, I've been lucky enough to have attended every '500 since 2000. Milwaukee (RIP) from 2003 - 2015, Iowa 2007-present, Long Beach 2016, Road America 1998-2007, 2016-present,
    Michigan 500 (RIP): 1997-2001 and Mid-Ohio in 2008

Insider
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobcat00 View Post

By that measuring stick, Scott Dixon is a wanker...didn't bring Target...didn't bring NTT Data...obviously can't compete with the big boys...
    Chicago Blackhawks done didn't do it again!

Quote Originally Posted by carl_fisher_78 View Post
    First off, Helio would never have initially gotten a ride w/ Roger if not for the unfortunate death of Greg Moore. Greg was by far the more talented driver of the 2. Secondly, Helio has not won the Indy 500 4 times, he's won it three (and one of those some people don't think he really won - but that's been beaten to death). Thirdly, you think Helio got a bum deal from Roger who employed, and continues to employ him, for nearly 2 decades? Name one other driver who has driven Indy Cars for Roger this long? There's your crickets chirping. Roger's job isn't to give fans "what they deserve," it's to win races and championships all while making sponsors happy. And finally, if you're going off results all three of Helio's teammates have won a championship - Helio has not.

Your post has no facts, it's all your whining and emotion. Get over it, he's not a full-time Indy Car driver anymore. Roger has done more for this sport than you could even possibly fathom. This series would be non-existent without his time and efforts.
    Maybe, maybe not. We will never know for sure. One thing for sure is that Penske owned the track where cart held their protest race. When it became apparent that cart had lost the war, he came back to Indy.

Quote Originally Posted by pfc_m_drake View Post
    Reminds me of what was written on Jimmy Vasser's Baseball/Hero Card from the CART days.
    Could you elaborate on this? I am not familiar with hero cards, but it would seem they would have positive things written on them. ???

Anyway, was Vasser thought to be two-faced?

Quote Originally Posted by Buddy91 View Post
    Maybe, maybe not. We will never know for sure. One thing for sure is that Penske owned the track where cart held their protest race. When it became apparent that cart had lost the war, he came back to Indy.
    Penske did NOT want to run the inaugural US 500 and has expressed regret about it in recent years. What was widely ignored/under-reported is that he and TG reached an agreement to cancel/postpone the US 500 and have everybody run at Indy in 96 - the other owners shot it down.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelP View Post
    Penske did NOT want to run the inaugural US 500 and has expressed regret about it in recent years. What was widely ignored/under-reported is that he and TG reached an agreement to cancel/postpone the US 500 and have everybody run at Indy in 96 - the other owners shot it down.
    Link?

Quote Originally Posted by mainemandean View Post
    Could you elaborate on this? I am not familiar with hero cards, but it would seem they would have positive things written on them. ???

Anyway, was Vasser thought to be two-faced?
    Well, from what I recall - and it's been a while - but the CART Hero cards had profiles on the back. And they asked the drivers various questions like, 'What's your favorite food?' 'Where's your favorite place to vacation?' etc. From what I recall, they asked Jimmy Vasser, 'Who's your favorite actor?' and his answer was, 'Helio Castroneves.'

Quote Originally Posted by Andretti91 View Post
    Link?
    A version of the story I heard was they had a secret meeting to set up a deal where they’d agree to keep the 28 locked in entries, while expanding the field to 42.

I don’t think it would ever be something you could link to...just word of mouth from those close to the situation.

Maybe it is underreported because it is an unsubstantiated rumor.

It was no rumor and it was reported.

The U.S. 500 was announced by CART in December of 1995.

So, by the time the Pebble Beach meeting took place, the US 500 had already been scheduled, TV time for the race had been set, and ticket sales had begun. Roger Penske initiated the Pebble Beach meeting but even he said afterward he ultimately didn't think the plan to expand the field was truly a viable deal.

Here's an Autoweek article that reports what happened.

"I would really like to go to NASCAR. I really enjoy NASCAR and if I could be there in a couple of years that's where I'd want to be." - Jeff Gordon (after testing a Formula Super Vee)