Thread: Arie Luyendyk, Jr., on The Bachelor

Arie Luyendyk, Jr., on The Bachelor

As we have a thread to discuss Conor Daly and Alexander Rossi on The Amazing Race, and as Daly is as much an IndyCar driver as Luyendyk, I thought we should have a place to talk about The Bachelor. Most of you know by now that Arie Luyendyk, Jr., is "the bachelor" on this program; he previously was a contestant on The Bachelorette, where he was rejected by Emily Maynard (the mother of Rick Hendrick's granddaughter) in the finale. Maynard later dated NASCAR's Jason White (in addition to Ricky Hendrick, she had dated Dale Earnhardt, Jr., and others) before marrying someone unrelated to auto racing.

In the first episode, Luyendyk was shown in his "Fastest Seat in Sports" firesuit walking around and driving at Sonoma. One contestant showed up in the street legal two-seater IndyCar.

Episode two featured cameos by Arie Luyendyk and Robby Gordon. There were also some old images of the senior Luyendyk's racing career.

The show is very fun to watch, and it will be wonderful to see just who Arie, Jr., chooses. It also continues a long tradition of current or former IndyCar racers on dating shows. Casey Mears was on Live (then with Regis and Kelly) in their celebrity matchmaking week in 2003. George Mack appeared on two romance-related reality competitions, including Blind Date. Raphael Matos was an important character on VH1's What Chilli Wants, dating TLC's Chilli until suspicions of infidelity came up. Chilli actually attended the Homestead race to see Matos compete; a lot of IndyCar footage was included.

Blog Entries
    I'm ok with the thread on ROSSI and Conor, since Rossi is a current driver. My wife watches the bachelor while I cover my head with a pillow.

Quote Originally Posted by Nigel Red5 View Post
    I'm ok with the thread on ROSSI and Conor, since Rossi is a current driver. My wife watches the bachelor while I cover my head with a pillow.
    To be clear, I am also okay with that thread! I enjoy both shows independently of IndyCar participation, but it is fun to have Racing Twitter® discussing them this season.

We shot at the house where they film the Batchelor for another show a couple of years ago. Nice place off of Kanan just south of Thousand Oaks heading to Malibu. Never seen the show and probably never will. Not my cup of tea.
    RIP Justin! WWJCD

The show is so bad, I love it. It was cool to see Arie Luyendyk and Robby Gordon was making fun of Arie having a less than stellar junior career.

While there have only been a couple touches on racing, I think it's cool that it exposes a very different segment of the population to racing in general. There has never been any mention of NASCAR so it's all been a few two-seater Indycars, dirt track racing, and stadium trucks.

Blog Entries
    My wife thinks The Bachelor, and The Bachelorette, are two of the most immoral things on television. She refuses to watch them.

I love my wife.
    "I didn't hear a single comment about airboxes, "carbashians", or how terrible the car looked. I did see dozens and dozens of little kids in awe of the speed and how cool the cars looked. We should learn from our children."
    --Danny Noonan

Insider
    Quote Originally Posted by Pumblechook View Post
    Emily Maynard (the mother of Rick Hendrick's granddaughter)
    Wouldn't that make her something like Rick Hendrick's ex-daughter in law?
    Be a better driver, move right except to pass.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by BackHomeAgain View Post
    Are they considered ''ex''considering the circumstances? It's pretty obvious she maintains a very strong relationship with her child's grandparents. My wife pointed her out and it appears he current husband works for the Hendricks.

My wife used to watch that show until I ruined it for her. I would come in and really get into watching the last segment where some of the contestants stay and some go. She finally asked why I watched only that part. I told her that I just want to live in a fantasy world where you can dump a girl after having gone out with her several times and fooled around a little and she HAS to leave. She can't ask you a million questions, call you names, threaten you, etc...... It is amazing that they just leave.

That ruined it for her and she doesn't watch it anymore.

Idiotic show that highlights the state of our society.
    kwetcherbetchen

Quote Originally Posted by BackHomeAgain View Post
    Something like, but not exactly. Ricky and Emily were engaged at the time of Ricky's death, but not married. Emily didn't learn she was pregnant until after Ricky passed.

One of the contestants this season painted, "Thank you, Emily!" on her demolition derby car. I thought that was pretty funny.

Too bad Arie Jr has little to nothing to do with Indycar nowadays....last time I saw him in something related to Indycar was him doing the Indy Lights show a couple of years back.

Howard Stern loves that show that is the only way I am familiar with it at all. He does like to goof on the women and their vocal fry. The clips he plays are funny. They all
    sound like frogs.

Quote Originally Posted by LAindycarfan80 View Post
    Too bad Arie Jr has little to nothing to do with Indycar nowadays....last time I saw him in something related to Indycar was him doing the Indy Lights show a couple of years back.
    Given the ABC connection, and Arie's TV experience with Versus on the Lights telecasts, I think it'd be great to include him on the Indy 500 broadcast somehow (or even the full IndyCar on ESPN on ABC schedule).

Insider
    Quote Originally Posted by Pumblechook View Post
    Something like, but not exactly. Ricky and Emily were engaged at the time of Ricky's death, but not married. Emily didn't learn she was pregnant until after Ricky passed.
    Thank you for that information. I didn't know what the story was and "the mother of his granddaughter" seemed like an overly complicated way of saying who she was.