Thread: Tony Hulman.

Blog Entries

Tony Hulman.

The man that saved the Indianapolis motor speedway.

A man of many talents. I was surprised by the Orville redenbacher connection. A good read.
    PAY NO MORE.
    Be there or be square.

Blog Entries
    A true racing legend. No doubt, there would probably be no Indy 500 today without him.

I am not at all a reader... but a book about the man who not only saved the place I love most, but turned it into an even bigger event than it already was... umm, yea I will absolutely read it! Just ordered it on Barnes and Noble!
    World's biggest Ryan Hunter-Reay fan!

When not discussing opinions, I try my best to only post facts, if I post something factually incorrect please correct me with a source (if possible)

Quote Originally Posted by TeamChevy View Post
    A true racing legend. No doubt, there would probably be no Indy 500 today without him.
    And a huge THANKS to Wilbur Shaw who contacted Tony!!!!
    It's a 2.5 mile oval of asphalt-covered bricks, used just three times a year. Yet it hascome to be the worldwide symbol of auto racing. More than that, it is our city's beacon to the entire globe, the main reason everyone knows there is an Indianapolis somewhere in the vast interior of America.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by philbert3a View Post
    And a huge THANKS to Wilbur Shaw who contacted Tony!!!!
    Absolutely. He's not given enough credit for being the one who searched and searched for someone to save the Speedway that he loved, and eventually found Tony Hulman. He came back to the Speedway when it was basically abandoned and in a dilapidated state and ran 500 miles around the track for a tire test. He was sad to see the condition the track was in, and decided he had to do something to save it. He did a lot more than just save it!

Quote Originally Posted by TeamChevy View Post
    Absolutely. He's not given enough credit for being the one who searched and searched for someone to save the Speedway that he loved, and eventually found Tony Hulman. He came back to the Speedway when it was basically abandoned and in a dilapidated state and ran 500 miles around the track for an oval test. He was sad to see the condition the track was in, and decided he had to do something to save it. He did a lot more than just save it!
    Very well said indeed.
    Counting down to my 32nd Greatest Spectacle in Racing, follow me on twitter @NDCar for photos, trivia and more about the Indianapolis 500.

Autosoft Dealer Management System - Highest rated Automotive DMS 2014, 2015, 2016 by Driving Sales. See what all the buzz is about - www.AutosoftDMS.com

Quote Originally Posted by XR1000 View Post
    The man that saved the Indianapolis motor speedway.

A man of many talents. I was surprised by the Orville redenbacher connection. A good read.
    Well, Orville was from Indiana, Brazil IN as a matter of Fact. And yes! A great save.
    Get your head out of your past!!!