Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Save the Mile update

Save the Mile update

No commentary,,,just read the article if you're interested.

http://www.savethemile.org/

Wow, what a cluster.

Pretty much goes with what I said, the failure of Milwaukee wasn’t an Indycar problem, it was a Milwaukee problem.

If events on both sides at RA and St Louis can do good, No reason Milwaukee can not if not for the inept fair management.

what is worse, they owe a butt ton of money on projects done before 2005, and it needs a lot more improvements. Not good.

Then the idiot manager lumps Indycar in with Nascars decline, despite the successes at RA and St Louis.

still worse is the fair looks like it has much bigger fish to fry. Won’t go into details but definitely other issues.

I get the feeling they are just done with racing and want the track gone, again Milwaukee has a Milwaukee problem.
    Last edited by PaddockMoose; 01-13-2018 at 03:13 AM.
    Silly Season scorecard and Where are the Indy 500 winning cars! http://inrd.gotdns.com/indystuff/

Quote Originally Posted by PaddockMoose View Post
    Wow, what a cluster.

Pretty much goes with what I said, the failure of Milwaukee wasn’t an Indycar problem.
    I wouldn't let Indycar off the hook completely. Despite Andretti's efforts as the last race promoter, they missed the mark completely. Having the Indyfest in the infield was a colossal failure with the focus on families with money, not families on a budget. In other words, no tail gating in the infield which historically was a tradition at Milwaukee. The whole marketing plan was to drive sales towards reserved seating in the stands and that doesn't play for the blue color family and Milwaukee mentality. It used to be fans would line the low fence all the way around the interior of the track. With the inclusion of both temporary and more permanent fencing going up in the last 20 years, it's impossible to view the race from the infield now. Areas fans were once allowed to go are completely off limits unless you are media.

As for me personally as an amateur photographer, it was extremely frustrating and depressing to arrive at the track having paid for access to the paddock and pit lane yet not be able to shoot photography in the turns any more. I would only go back now if it's confirmed these areas would be available to fans again should the track be saved and Indycar returns. I currently live in Indianapolis and I don't think the track there is going away anytime soon. After all, it's been in active service almost as long as Milwaukee and kind of famous.

"Loyalty to petrified opinion never yet broke a chain or freed a human soul".
    Mark Twain

Say goodnight Gracie!
    "Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved
    body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting
    "...holy $^!+...what a ride!"
    >

Road America needs to write a big check to buy it, and to leave the corrupt State Fair management completely out of it

Quote Originally Posted by nickp View Post
    Road America needs to write a big check to buy it, and to leave the corrupt State Fair management completely out of it
    The Milwaukee mile is in the middle of a large residential area. I can't imagine those neighbors would excited about turning the mile into a professional racing facility

Obviously the state and fair board aren't in the racing business and wouldn't be good at it if they tried so what's needed is a promoter. What it comes down to is that would have to be someone with the money to be in for the long term because there's no instant profitable fix and the ideas to make it work. There are plenty of people with the money, many in racing, and plenty of people with the ideas. Unfortunately there's no one with the combination of money and ideas to be found.

Quote Originally Posted by Chaparral4 View Post
    I wouldn't let Indycar off the hook completely. Despite Andretti's efforts as the last race promoter, they missed the mark completely. Having the Indyfest in the infield was a colossal failure with the focus on families with money, not families on a budget. In other words, no tail gating in the infield which historically was a tradition at Milwaukee. The whole marketing plan was to drive sales towards reserved seating in the stands and that doesn't play for the blue color family and Milwaukee mentality. It used to be fans would line the low fence all the way around the interior of the track. With the inclusion of both temporary and more permanent fencing going up in the last 20 years, it's impossible to view the race from the infield now. Areas fans were once allowed to go are completely off limits unless you are media.

As for me personally as an amateur photographer, it was extremely frustrating and depressing to arrive at the track having paid for access to the paddock and pit lane yet not be able to shoot photography in the turns any more. I would only go back now if it's confirmed these areas would be available to fans again should the track be saved and Indycar returns. I currently live in Indianapolis and I don't think the track there is going away anytime soon. After all, it's been in active service almost as long as Milwaukee and kind of famous.
    I agree that while Andretti had a good idea with the Fest it was poorly executed. Had the rides been outside the track fronting the surrounding streets it would have drawn more attention to show there was something going on at the track. Shifting the food and other vendors and to the infield couldn't have helped their business. They should have fenced off the area where the permanent food stands are, had the food and other vendors there and not allowed those who knew somebody to park there.

Then there should have been infield parking, tailgating and such not because it would be a huge crowd or that much revenue but the virtually empty infield they had made no sense. I spent countless hours over the years taking pictures from behind that rusty chainlink fence protected only by the short armco barrier. Now with the concrete barriers and safety fence you would almost have to be a professional to get a good shot. To me the focus should have been on selling tickets to the grandstands. And part of that should have been advertising and promotion in the Chicago area. With plenty of people who go to the 500 annually and those that long went to Road America, no race at Chicagoland Speedway, how they did nothing is close to incompetent.

But like much to do with Indycar The Mile isn't dead, it just doesn't work with the same method of doing things that worked in the 50's or the 80's. It can come back with a different approach and someone who after figuring out what that is can afford to do it.
    "You can't arrest those guys, they're folk heroes"
    "They're criminals"
    "Well most folk heroes started out as criminals"

Quote Originally Posted by Aeron View Post
    The Milwaukee mile is in the middle of a large residential area. I can't imagine those neighbors would excited about turning the mile into a professional racing facility
    They bought a house......by a 100 year old racetrack......and it wouldn't be turned into a professional racing facility....it already is!
    2012 Races: St.Pete, Indianapolis and THE MILWAUKEE MILE!!!!!!
    2013 Races: Indianapolis and Indyfest 2013
    2014 Races: Popped the Wife's Indy 500 Cherry and Indyfest 2014
    2015 Race: ABC Supply Wisconsin 250
    2016 Races: 100th Running of the Indianapolis 500 and Road America!

Quote Originally Posted by Z28 View Post
    Unfortunately there's no one with the combination of money and ideas to be found.
    The Giuffre Bros had a plan and backing from John Menard.....along with their relationship with IndyCar and the Board rejected them.

What do Milwaukee and Laguna Seca have in common? They're NOT privately owned. End of story. NASCAR, IndyCar, are not to blame here. The state of Wisconsin is, and has been for decades.
    "If your car was a dog, then you had to figure it out and test your own limits. And we didn't go to a wind tunnel – we did it in the first turn at Indianapolis."

A birdy told me they have recently purchased new detection loops.

Quote Originally Posted by Mearsfan53081 View Post
    They bought a house......by a 100 year old racetrack......and it wouldn't be turned into a professional racing facility....it already is!
    No... they bought a house near a state fairground parking lot that's empty most of the year and occasionally hosts some oldies acts.

Unfortunately, it looks like they overbuilt the size of the grandstands for the types of races they held, Indycar, NASCAR Busch series....they would probably fill up those newly built grandstands if they held a Cup race, although it never looked like NASCAR had any interest in holding a race there.

Quote Originally Posted by Aeron View Post
    No... they bought a house near a state fairground parking lot that's empty most of the year and occasionally hosts some oldies acts.
    Well...as a guy who grew up there, I would know that the fair park isn't empty "most of the year".....

If you live there, you're well aware of the disturbances that come with it. It's like buying a house by the airport or the freeway.

They don't seem to mind the location when they charge $20 a car to park and fill their yards either.

Believe what you want, but there have never been a lot of complaints due to noise, even when NASCAR and CART ran at night.

Yup. We "sat" in the infield for years. We'd make a whole day of it: wait in line, grab a spot near the fence, set up, cook breakfast, and on and on...and we'd bring out a lot of people who normally wouldn't attend a race. It was fun and for us that is why we did it. Between my dad, my uncle, and myself - we have something like 130 Indy 500's between us - always up in the stands...but Milwaukee being a hometown race...setting up and making it a daylong event was so cool. We moved back to the stands once they closed the infield - but something was lost in the translation. It wasn't the same.
    Real drivers don't need fenders!

Well...as a guy who grew up there, I would know that the fair park isn't empty "most of the year".....

If you live there, you're well aware of the disturbances that come with it. It's like buying a house by the airport or the freeway.

They don't seem to mind the location when they charge $20 a car to park and fill their yards either.

Believe what you want, but there have never been a lot of complaints due to noise, even when NASCAR and CART ran at night.
    Agreed. I also live in town (born at West Allis Memorial!) and I've never heard complaints about noise. I don't think that had anything to do with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelican Joe View Post
    Yup. We "sat" in the infield for years. We'd make a whole day of it: wait in line, grab a spot near the fence, set up, cook breakfast, and on and on...and we'd bring out a lot of people who normally wouldn't attend a race. It was fun and for us that is why we did it. Between my dad, my uncle, and myself - we have something like 130 Indy 500's between us - always up in the stands...but Milwaukee being a hometown race...setting up and making it a daylong event was so cool. We moved back to the stands once they closed the infield - but something was lost in the translation. It wasn't the same.
    Same exact story as you.....just 120 Indy 500s short between me, my dad and grandpa....whom I spent most of my time at the mile with. We were always in turn 3 or 4, and always in line before it got light outside.

I saw my first Miller 200 from the turn 4 bleachers in 1990, and didn't see another one from the outside until Avacoado closed the infield in 2011. I told that promoter straight to his face that was a HUGE mistake.

This thread makes me appreciate having been there to take it all in back in 2013. I'd certainly go again if it were on the schedule. I did enjoy my time in the infield watching Lights and Pro Mazda, as I recall. I also recall being disappointed and a bit concerned with the light turnout both Saturday and Sunday.

I wouldn't let Indycar off the hook completely.
    Agreed. After all, can we blame the Milwaukee Fair Board for the poor attendance at Phoenix, Fontana, and other tracks that have featured veritable seas of aluminum?

The whole marketing plan was to drive sales towards reserved seating in the stands and that doesn't play for the blue color family...
    They, however, will play for you.

I currently live in Indianapolis and I don't think the track there is going away anytime soon. After all, it's been in active service almost as long as Milwaukee and kind of famous.
    The Milwaukee miles is/was kind of famous, too. Enduring, and thriving, takes more than just fame.
    "I would really like to go to NASCAR. I really enjoy NASCAR and if I could be there in a couple of years that's where I'd want to be." - Jeff Gordon (after testing a Formula Super Vee)

Most overated, worst racing I’ve ever seen was at the mile. Save a brick and tear it down or something. Just saying..

Quote Originally Posted by Boweimer View Post
    Most overated, worst racing I’ve ever seen was at the mile. Save a brick and tear it down or something. Just saying..
    Well it's not a cookie cutter.....

Another victim of the split and broken schedule continuity. Run a race at the same date for 60 years and change it all and wonder what happened.

Maybe this wasn't the complete death knell but it sure as heck didn't help.

Why can’t they run it in August during the State Fair? Date is open. A million people show up for it... I’m sure a couple will attend the race

Over the course of 11 days, they park 40,000 cars there at $10 a car and hold nightly concerts that draw 5k-8k people.

The Race is only one day and a few hours.. If they wanted it, that’s when it has to be .

The Race is only one day and a few hours.. If they wanted it, that’s when it has to be .
    Way too many logistics issues, even with a small IndyCar crowd. There is no place to even set an IndyCar paddock up ahead of time. They tried the week after the fair, and it failed miserably.

There are little things that make a difference. Is the date one of them? Maybe, maybe not at this point. It's been so long since it was the week after Indy.

#1 on the list is Value. The first year Andretti promoted, the tickets were reasonably priced and a "decent crowd showed up. Then they moved the race and doubled ticket prices and less people came. They also had rain on race morning every year. My group went from 14 in turn 1 down to 4.....because it wasn't cheap enough to justify.

Mears, the first legit race promoter they had there in years was Michael's group, but it was simply too late by then. To show my support for that group, I actually bought a ticket in absentia! The series should be there after Indy not Belle Isle, but that won't change as long as RP is involved. I just don't think any other date will ever succeed quite like that one.

Way too many logistics issues, even with a small IndyCar crowd. There is no place to even set an IndyCar paddock up ahead of time. They tried the week after the fair, and it failed miserably.

There are little things that make a difference. Is the date one of them? Maybe, maybe not at this point. It's been so long since it was the week after Indy.

#1 on the list is Value. The first year Andretti promoted, the tickets were reasonably priced and a "decent crowd showed up. Then they moved the race and doubled ticket prices and less people came. They also had rain on race morning every year. My group went from 14 in turn 1 down to 4.....because it wasn't cheap enough to justify.
    I was being sarcastic earlier.... We can blame the date but we all know that’s not it. MIS was also packed...Couldn’t give tickets away after the split. Fans simply left & never came back. People want to be entertained, Auto racing doesn’t do it anymore for most... Sad isn’t it.

I was being sarcastic earlier.... We can blame the date but we all know that’s not it. MIS was also packed...Couldn’t give tickets away after the split. Fans simply left & never came back. People want to be entertained, Auto racing doesn’t do it anymore for most... Sad isn’t it.
    It is sad, but Milwaukee wasn't victim of the split. As late as 2009, they drew 30k....which is really about What milwaukee always drew.