Thread: 2018 Car Count

2018 Car Count

2018 what will be the car count? Go.

How many is "Go"? Sixty, maybe?

22 to 24 at most races.
    33 at Indy.
    Maybe 25 at the Indy GP.

That's my guess.

Penske 3 Full time (Newgarden, Pagenaud, Power)
    Ganassi 2 Full time (Jones, Dixon)
    Andretti 5? Full time -6 Indy (Andretti, Rossi, Hunter-Reay, Veach....Munoz-Indy, Wilson-Indy)
    SPM 2 Full time 3 Indy? (Hincliffe, Wickens)

Coyne 2 Full time 3 Indy? (Bourdais, Jones?, DeMelo?)
    Harding 1 (2?) full time (Chavez)Juncos 1-2 part time? (Binder, Kaiser, ?)
    ECR 2 full time 3 Indy? (Carpenter, Pigot, King)
    Carlin 2 full time? (Chilton, Kimball)
    Foyt 2 Full time (Liest, Kanaan)
    Shank 1 Part time? Harvey
    RLR 2 Full time -3 Indy? (Rahal, Sato)

Best guess:
    22 full time
    24-25 part time
    33 Indy
    Last edited by Jakester; 01-14-2018 at 06:27 PM. Reason: Make corrections...and more corrections
    BAN SHREDDED CHEESE! MAKE AMERICA GRATE AGAIN!

"If your car was a dog, then you had to figure it out and test your own limits. And we didn't go to a wind tunnel – we did it in the first turn at Indianapolis."

Cautiously Optimistic drewdawg727's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jakester View Post
    Penske 3 Full time (Newgarden, Pagenaud,
    Andretti 4 Full time -5 Indy (Andretti, Munoz, Rossi, Hunter-Reay, Veach, Wilson)
    Harding 1 full time 2 Indy/part time? (Chavez)
    Harding 1 (2?) full time (Chavez)
    Juncos 1-2 part time? (Binder, Kaiser, ?)

Best guess:
    22 full time
    24-25 part time
    33 Indy
    I appreciate the effort, but this really needs a proofread job ....
    You missed a Penske driver, you have 6 Andretti names down, and you have Harding listed twice.

Edited....

Cautiously Optimistic drewdawg727's Avatar
    Edited....
    Sorry to be that guy, you just tried so hard

Quote Originally Posted by fenderless View Post
    How many is "Go"? Sixty, maybe?

Japanese for 5.

Penske 3 Full time (Newgarden, Pagenaud, Power)
    Andretti 5? Full time -6 Indy (Andretti, Rossi, Hunter-Reay, Veach....Munoz-Indy, Wilson-Indy)
    Harding 1 full time 2 Indy/part time? (Chavez)
    Harding 1 (2?) full time (Chavez)Juncos 1-2 part time? (Binder, Kaiser, ?)

Best guess:
    22 full time
    24-25 part time
    33 Indy
    You have Harding listed twice
    RIP Dan Wheldon :(

"Anybody who says the IndyCar Series is not the best championship in the world is a complete idiot in my book." ~Dan Wheldon

2018 Silly Season scorecard and Where are the Indy 500 winning cars! http://inrd.gotdns.com/indystuff/

22 full-time entries.
    2-3 part-time entries, depending on a 2nd Harding at some races.
    33, maybe 34 entries at the Indy 500.

I think that Urrutia is talking with Harding for the second seat.

Quote Originally Posted by NaBUru38 View Post
    I think that Urrutia is talking with Harding for the second seat.
    You think or you know because I thought Urrutia was only talking to Coyne according to recent reports.

Quote Originally Posted by SactoIndyFan View Post
    You have Harding listed twice
    And Jones may have trouble driving 2 cars at once.....
    I'm from a place called the internet. Nothing disturbs me.

Quote Originally Posted by debdrake View Post
    And Jones may have trouble driving 2 cars at once.....
    What you do is you tie strings to the wheels and pedals and then you tie the cars together and put a chariot behind them like these guys:

Sitting president of the "Sato Forever Faithful Fanclub"

I think we will see Sage and Danica at DRR for the Indy 500 and J.R. Hildebrand in a third ECR entry if ECR is going to run a third car. The second Harding car probably goes to Urrutia. It's a bloody shame that JPM is likely to not run the big race..... It's also a bit of a disappointment that we probably won't see the Crazy Russian at the '500 either this year.
    IndyCar fan4ever.

Quote Originally Posted by castronevesfan3 View Post
    I think we will see Sage and Danica at DRR for the Indy 500 and J.R. Hildebrand in a third ECR entry if ECR is going to run a third car. The second Harding car probably goes to Urrutia.
    Latest rumours put Danica at Rahal, Hildebrand I doubt would run with ECR after being dropped and a 3rd ECR is a doubt anyway. Urrutia seems to be have been linked with the 2nd Harding, but earlier said he was only talking to Coyne - so there are still plenty of moving parts with this.

Who's left without an Indy 500 ride this year?

26 confirmed car and driver combinations so far by my count. That leaves 7 seats open. One of the 7 is the 2nd full time Coyne car.

Here's a list of 10 drivers. At least 3 of these guys/gals won't be there. Who misses out?...assuming there are 33 entries

- JR Hildebrand
    - Danica Patrick
    - Oriol Servia
    - Sage Karam
    - Pippa Mann (usually runs funded with Coyne)
    - Conor Daly
    - Zachary Claman DeMelo (supposedly has backing)
    - Santiago Urrutia (supposedly has backing)
    - Sebastian Saavedra (AFS favorite)
    - Buddy Lazier

Indy 500 = 35
    "These boys on the track ask no quarter and they give none. If they succeed, they're a hero and if they fail, they tried." -Sid Collins

My opinion is we get a bump this year, so 34 show up (the sacrificial Lazier bump unless someone else like one of the Juncos cars is too slow). Jay Howard is rumored for the 77 as well. My guess on missing out is Servia, Urrutia who has said he would prefer a full time Lights ride over part time in IC, and ZCD for Indy as they put Hawksworth or Daly in the car. There could also be a surprise like RC Enerson, Matt Brabham, or James Davison.

Quote Originally Posted by PPGfan View Post

26 confirmed car and driver combinations so far by my count. That leaves 7 seats open. One of the 7 is the 2nd full time Coyne car.

Here's a list of 10 drivers. At least 3 of these guys/gals won't be there. Who misses out?...assuming there are 33 entries

- JR Hildebrand
    - Danica Patrick
    - Oriol Servia
    - Sage Karam
    - Conor Daly
    - Buddy Lazier
    "Lyrically, I'm Mario Andretti on the mo-mo" - A Tribe Called Quest

Quote Originally Posted by PPGfan View Post

- JR Hildebrand
    - Danica Patrick
    - Oriol Servia
    - Sage Karam
    - Conor Daly
    - Buddy Lazier
    Rather than looking at it from a driver's perspective, let's look at potential entries that haven't been announced yet:

Honda - currently 15 announced entries for the Indy 500 (although the #19 has yet to confirm it's driver)

Ganassi seems unlikely to run another car, but Schmidt (Jay Howard), Coyne (Pippa Mann) & Rahal (Danica Patrick) have all been linked with running an additional entry, so that might be 18 from Honda in total.

Chevy - currently 11 announced entries for the Indy 500 (with all 11 car/driver combo's confirmed)

ECR, Foyt, Juncos, Harding, DRR & Lazier could all potential run an additional entry on top of what has already been announced, so there is potential for 17 from Chevy.

Now if we get 18 from Honda & 17 from Chevy we'd have 35, but that is probably unrealistic. The likes of a 3rd Rahal or a 3rd ECR may not happen, but I think there is enough potential out there to think we could get 34-35 entries this year rather than just scraping 33 together.

It's also not impossible to see 18 entries apiece from Honda/Chevy this year - there are enough teams this year to achieve that, highly unlikely yes, but not impossible.

Quote Originally Posted by GRW1983 View Post
    Rather than looking at it from a driver's perspective, let's look at potential entries that haven't been announced yet:

Honda - currently 15 announced entries for the Indy 500 (although the #19 has yet to confirm it's driver)

Ganassi seems unlikely to run another car, but Schmidt (Jay Howard), Coyne (Pippa Mann) & Rahal (Danica Patrick) have all been linked with running an additional entry, so that might be 18 from Honda in total.

Chevy - currently 11 announced entries for the Indy 500 (with all 11 car/driver combo's confirmed)

ECR, Foyt, Juncos, Harding, DRR & Lazier could all potential run an additional entry on top of what has already been announced, so there is potential for 17 from Chevy.

Now if we get 18 from Honda & 17 from Chevy we'd have 35, but that is probably unrealistic. The likes of a 3rd Rahal or a 3rd ECR may not happen, but I think there is enough potential out there to think we could get 34-35 entries this year rather than just scraping 33 together.

It's also not impossible to see 18 entries apiece from Honda/Chevy this year - there are enough teams this year to achieve that, highly unlikely yes, but not impossible.
    I'd love to see 36 show up, it would make qualifying a lot more interesting than it has been since 2011, although last years Dixon 232 lap woke me up!

i'll realistically predict that 34 show up.
    World's biggest Ryan Hunter-Reay fan!

Born in 1992, I've been lucky enough to have attended every '500 since 2000. Milwaukee (RIP) from 2003 - 2015, Iowa 2007-present, Long Beach 2016, Road America 1998-2007, 2016-present,
    Michigan 500 (RIP): 1997-2001 and Mid-Ohio in 2008

Quote Originally Posted by RHRfan#1 View Post
    I'd love to see 36 show up, it would make qualifying a lot more interesting than it has been since 2011, although last years Dixon 232 lap woke me up!

i'll realistically predict that 34 show up.
    Me too, I'd love to see 36 - but 36 is likely wildly unrealistic (although not impossible).

I think 34 will be likely - there should be enough decent entries for 33 cars, with Lazier bumped as number 34.

Quote Originally Posted by GRW1983 View Post
    Me too, I'd love to see 36 - but 36 is likely wildly unrealistic (although not impossible).

I think 34 will be likely - there should be enough decent entries for 33 cars, with Lazier bumped as number 34.
    I really think that if we already have 33, then Lazier won't show up and attempt. I almost get the sense he has been doing IMS a favor lately by just adding a car to make sure we get to 33. I say this as a Lazier fan who knows the guy can drive, but his efforts since 2013 have been depressing for me to watch.

I guess I will start working on my Indy entry list webpage.

One thing is for sure, we are starting from a much higher plateau then last year.

Quote Originally Posted by RHRfan#1 View Post
    I really think that if we already have 33, then Lazier won't show up and attempt. I almost get the sense he has been doing IMS a favor lately by just adding a car to make sure we get to 33. I say this as a Lazier fan who knows the guy can drive, but his efforts since 2013 have been depressing for me to watch.
    Agreed on Lazier - at times you feel that some of his past entries have been purely to make sure we have 33 cars.

Let's assume only 33 cars entered, and that Lazier was one of them - the list would probably be something resembling this:

Honda - Andretti x 6, Schmidt x 3, Coyne x 3, Rahal x 2, Ganassi x 2, Shank x 1 (17)
    Chevy - Penske x 4, Foyt x 3, ECR x 2, Carlin x 2, Juncos x 2, Harding x 1, DRR x 1 & Lazier x 1 (16)

That gives us a minimum field of 33, but consider that the likes of a 3rd Rahal, 3rd ECR, 2nd Harding & 2nd DRR are all possibilities that have been mentioned recently and potential car counts of 34-35-36 do become possible.

I don't think you see a 3rd ECR. Not unless they purchased more tubs.

3rd Rahal seems to be in play for Danica.
    I think a second DRR goes out of play if Danica goes to RLL.
    2nd Harding a possibility.

Don't put Foyt 3 in as a guaranteed. AJ really didn't want to run a 3rd car last year, but did it because they got the cheap KVSH chassis.

Quote Originally Posted by PaddockMoose View Post

Don't put Foyt 3 in as a guaranteed. AJ really didn't want to run a 3rd car last year, but did it because they got the cheap KVSH chassis.
    I think a second Harding is more realistic this year than a 3rd Foyt. I forgot they got that chassis from the KVSH auction, good call!

Quote Originally Posted by PaddockMoose View Post

My statement of getting towards the likes of 36 entries needs a lot of things to go right admittedly, but it's not impossible.

However, the likes of a 3rd ECR & 3rd Foyt are not guaranteed like you say and it's likely to be either 33 or 34 when the final entry list comes out.

If you add a 3rd Rahal to my list and swap the 3rd Foyt for a 2nd Harding, then you are looking at 34 entries (18 Honda/16 Chevy)