Page 1 of 27 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Train and Blues Traveler playing at Carb Day

2018 Carb Day Band - Who is it Gonna Be?

Just 163 days til Carb Day 2018, not too early for idle speculation and wild guesses:

"You wanted the best, you got the best. The hottest band in the world - Kiss"

Featuring the bassist who invented the term "Indycar". Gene Simmons
    Counting down to my 32nd Greatest Spectacle in Racing, follow me on twitter @NDCar for photos, trivia and more about the Indianapolis 500.

Autosoft Dealer Management System - Highest rated Automotive DMS 2014, 2015, 2016 by Driving Sales. See what all the buzz is about - www.AutosoftDMS.com

Blue Oyster Cult

Quote Originally Posted by I Love May View Post
    Featuring the bassist who invented the term "Indycar". Gene Simmons
    He single-handedly saved the sport. The man is a marketing genius.

"I would really like to go to NASCAR. I really enjoy NASCAR and if I could be there in a couple of years that's where I'd want to be." - Jeff Gordon (after testing a Formula Super Vee)

Quote Originally Posted by spike View Post
    he single-handedly saved the sport. The man is a marketing genius.

"god of blunder"!!!!!!
    Get your head out of your past!!!

I'll be shocked if it isn't Kiss.
    "The track will choose who's going to win."

Tony Kanaan

Blog Entries
    All signs point to KISS. Would be a great fit and a great show.

Cardi B would be a good choice. She has a song titled "MotorSport."

I'm fine with Kiss, but only if Gene sings "I am Indy" one last time...

Blog Entries
    There are Signs?

I hope it's gonna be Alice in Chains.
    IndyCar fan4ever.

Registered User JohnyComeLately's Avatar
    Why do people keep saying KISS? Is it to keep annoying people on this forum, or has there been some rumor spread that a band that was formed when Mark Donohue was still winning Indy 500s, is going to be performing in May?
    My Heroes are Lloyd Dobbler, Lloyd Christmas, and Lloyd Ruby

Quote Originally Posted by castronevesfan3 View Post
    I hope it's gonna be Alice in Chains.
    Oh man, I'd kill for that.

Rocky Mountain High
    Why would it be KISS? Wasn't Gene run out of town?

It doesn't matter who it is. As long as it's loud rock music, there is plenty of beer, and a few cars to watch.

It is better then working that day!

Silly Season scorecard and Where are the Indy 500 winning cars! http://inrd.gotdns.com/indystuff/

Quote Originally Posted by Outlaw View Post
    Why would it be KISS? Wasn't Gene run out of town?
    Yes, he was banished for trying to catch ********** with his tongue. In public.

I don't know why they don't invite the worlds best artist of all time... BILLY JOEL!! I'd make the trip to see the best artist at the best venue! boom, win-win for all
    World's biggest Ryan Hunter-Reay fan!

When not discussing opinions, I try my best to only post facts, if I post something factually incorrect please correct me with a source (if possible)

Quote Originally Posted by Spike View Post

I know that I am Indy! but is he Indy?? lol

Quote Originally Posted by Pumblechook View Post
    Please God no.

Quote Originally Posted by RHRfan#1 View Post
    I don't know why they don't invite the worlds best artist of all time... BILLY JOEL!!
    Because they can't afford him.

Because they can't afford him.
    do you have any sources to back up your claim? do you know how much it costs to book him? do you know how much it would cost to break even? do you know how many people on average go to his concerts??

I have to do a Spike'ism to you, since you made a general comment without facts. Please provide these facts to back up your claim.

Quote Originally Posted by PaddockMoose View Post
    It doesn't matter who it is. As long as it's loud rock music, there is plenty of beer, and a few cars to watch.

It is better then working that day!

Amen!
    Hi! I'm the owner and editor of Open-Wheels.com. Follow us on Twitter or like us on Facebook! If you would like to discuss racing or opportunities with the website, feel free to contact me on here or by e-mail at tanner@open-wheels.com.

I wonder what Paul McCartney would cost? I'm sure there's no chance of that, but a fan can dream! Lol

10 minutes from the Greatest Race Course in the World
    I don’t know who it will be, but it seems the prerequisite is that they must have previous experience performing at a state fair or a Ribfest.
    "My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives". -Hedley Lamarr

Quote Originally Posted by Mannishboy View Post
    I don’t know who it will be, but it seems the prerequisite is that they must have previous experience performing at a state fair or a Ribfest.
    Awesome (but true)!!

That said...as previously mentioned...as long as there is sunshine, loud music, beer, good people watching, and race cars...I could care less who the Carb Day performer is.
    Real drivers don't need fenders!

Quote Originally Posted by RHRfan#1 View Post
    do you have any sources to back up your claim?
    A quick look at the act booked to play the Carb Day gig will show you that IMS isn't booking anything near A-list performers. On top of that, consider that Billy Joel has been regularly filling Madison Square Garden (he has a monthly residency gig there) for years and I have read that he takes in over a million dollars for each show there.

Most of his recent touring shows have nearly all been in baseball and football stadiums (though last November he did a show at Bankers Life Fieldhouse in Indianapolis - 19,000 seats) and they are typically sellouts with ticket prices that are anything but low.

He's a longtime favorite of mine and one of reasons I learned to play the piano. I've seen him perform at least a dozen times since the late seventies and I hope to see him perform again soon but it's a certainty that neither I, nor anyone else, will see him perform the Carb Day show at IMS.

I've seen him perform at least a dozen times since the late seventies and I hope to see him perform again soon but it's a certainty that I, nor anyone else, will see him perform the Carb Day show at IMS.
    In addition to the missing commas (in your run-on sentence) before "and" and "but," you appear to have written that it is a certainty that you will see him perform the Carb Day show at IMS, contradicting everything else you had written.

I guess Old Pumblechook's not the only one to make mistakes on here!

For the first decade of KISS' existence, the public was begging them to take the makeup off, so we might know what they really looked like.

In 1983, they did.

For the NEXT decade of KISS' existence, the public was begging them to PUT THE MAKEUP BACK ON....
    "Only a fool fights in a burning house."-Kang

"If you listen to fools....The Maaahhhhb Ruuuules....."-Ronnie James Dio

Quote Originally Posted by Pumblechook View Post
    This is the correct choice Cardi B is what IndyCar needs.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnyComeLately View Post
    Why do people keep saying KISS? Is it to keep annoying people on this forum, or has there been some rumor spread that a band that was formed when Mark Donohue was still winning Indy 500s, is going to be performing in May?
    Doug Boles basically admitted it was Kiss for 2017 but they could not work out the logistics due to Kiss then performing on the European leg of their tour during May. This was on an interview a few months back on JMV if I recall correctly. Gene also said he would like to play Cartb Day while also being interviewed by JMV when he was in town with his solo band. This was the same interview where he claimed that he claimed to have told the folks at Indycar to start using the term Indycar again. Kiss fits the demo: Classic act with a repertoire of recognizable songs, An act that will appeal to a wide range of demographics including the college aged crowd and currently not commanding anything close to an A List appearance fee. Anyone who has seen them knows they put on a spectacular live show with off the charts theatrics and effects.

As others have pointed out, Billy Joel would also be a home run choice but no way in hell will IMS pay what it would take to bring the Piano Man to 16th and Georgetown. Simply too expensive to make the numbers work for Carb Day.

At first I read Billy Joel as Billy Idol and thought, "how in the world could they not afford him?" Anyway, no clue who it'll be but it'd be awesome if it were Metallica, then again - they couldn't afford Metallica.