Page 2 of 45 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: What the heck: 2018/2019 Silly Season

Retired curmudgeon
    Quote Originally Posted by dakinca View Post
    To early to say Wickins to Ganassi next season?
    If I was The Captain I'd flush Pagenaud and poach Wickens. Transfer Power to the sports car team. Run a 5 car armada at Indy (Wickens/Newgy/Power/Helio/Monty).
    Road racing is doomed...what this country needs is a big new racetrack designed for automobiles instead of horses. C.G. Fisher

Quote Originally Posted by nascarnation View Post
    If I was The Captain I'd flush Pagenaud and poach Wickens. Transfer Power to the sports car team. Run a 5 car armada at Indy (Wickens/Newgy/Power/Helio/Monty).
    Flush a series champion?
    "Paff has been closer to the mark than anyone will give him credit for."

Richard Kimble 11/18/2010

"Paff is far more right than any of you will EVER give him credit for.

As non politically correct and un IndyCar friendly as it is, it's the truth. "

SeeuInMay 12/29/2010

I don't think RP will be flushing away Pagenaud. 2016 series champion and had a heck of a 2017 season too. I think his job is safe.
    World's biggest Ryan Hunter-Reay fan!

When not discussing opinions, I try my best to only post facts, if I post something factually incorrect please correct me with a source (if possible)

Retired curmudgeon
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Paff View Post
    Flush a series champion?
    He's yesterday's news.
    I'm assuming Roger just needs 2 seats for the full season given the increase in participation from other quarters.
    Newgy and Wickens look like the two guys I'd want in that game.
    Indy of course a different deal, and very dear to Rogers heart, so a full onslaught.

Of course if Menard loves Pag (the French connection) and that makes it a profitable deal for Roger to run, so be it.

RP is a pretty loyal guy and will stick with drivers who are "yesterdays news" for a while. Example: Ryan Briscoe

The difference, as Paff pointed out, is that Pagenaud won the 2016 series championship and I pointed out he had a great 2017 season too.

I honestly think he will be safe for at least 2019.

Quote Originally Posted by RHRfan#1 View Post
    RP is a pretty loyal guy and will stick with drivers who are "yesterdays news" for a while. Example: Ryan Briscoe

The difference, as Paff pointed out, is that Pagenaud won the 2016 series championship and I pointed out he had a great 2017 season too.

I honestly think he will be safe for at least 2019.
    Exactly, all 3 drivers should be good for a few years.. No reason to change

Here are two things that I've heard pretty consistently over the past few months. One, Dennis Reinbold is fully intent on Dreyer & Reinbold being a full-time team next year with Sage Karam, but he would also love to add the second car for J.R. Hildebrand for some additional oval races, if not full-time. Reinbold made a big investment in the off-season in both new cars and pit equipment and with the likes of WIX, Salesforce and Mecum he may finally have a sponsorship portfolio that allows this this expansion to become a reality. Two, Penske did downsize to three cars for this year, but the team would expand back to four cars if the right commercial partnerships are in place ... and I keep hearing that the name for any such expansion is not Helio Castroneves, Juan Montoya, Robert Wickens or Alexander Rossi, but rather Graham Rahal, who already happens to drive for the captain in the longer-format sports car prototype races. I'm not sure Rahal is ready to leave the comfort of the family-owned team, but I would be surprised if Dreyer & Reinbold is not full-time with Karam in 2019.

Quote Originally Posted by dakinca View Post
    To early to say Wickins to Ganassi next season?
    R-O-S-E-N-Q-V-I-S-T

Another issue to consider revolves around Honda and Red Bull/Toro Rosso in F1

It's possible that the Red Bull Teams will have 2 or even 3 open seats between them. And it's better than 50-50 that Honda powers both teams.

If a seat at Red Bull opens up, it's likely Pierre Gasly moves up to Red Bull from TR. Then there are two open seats at TR. One of those would go to one of Honda's Japanese drivers. And the other?

There are several weekends available for Alex Rossi to sample Brendan Hartley's car either in free practice or in a race. Rossi moving back to F1 neatly makes room for Herta or someone else at Andretti.

Retired curmudgeon
    Quote Originally Posted by ay1 View Post
    Graham Rahal
    It would be interesting to see how he'd do with Penske, obviously Dad could come up with a ride buyer replacement and improve the financials significantly for that seat at RLL. I'm sure winning Indy in Dad's car would be the fulfillment of many dreams, but the team is inconsistent and not sure if they will ever pull it off....although at age 29 Graham has a decade plus to keep trying.

If most all the rumors come into play, the grid could swell to 26-28 cars at every race. Whether the manufacturers wish to support that many is another story.
    "If your car was a dog, then you had to figure it out and test your own limits. And we didn't go to a wind tunnel – we did it in the first turn at Indianapolis."

Insider
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bullwinkle View Post
    Another issue to consider revolves around Honda and Red Bull/Toro Rosso in F1

It's possible that the Red Bull Teams will have 2 or even 3 open seats between them. And it's better than 50-50 that Honda powers both teams.

If a seat at Red Bull opens up, it's likely Pierre Gasly moves up to Red Bull from TR. Then there are two open seats at TR. One of those would go to one of Honda's Japanese drivers. And the other?

There are several weekends available for Alex Rossi to sample Brendan Hartley's car either in free practice or in a race. Rossi moving back to F1 neatly makes room for Herta or someone else at Andretti.
    Rossi's under contract through 2019. Not that those things can't be bought out but Michael's not going to let his best driver walk early for nothing.

My fear is that Harding folds and the assets are purchased by DRR since they've already got an alliance together (if I'm not mistaken). This could mean we don't add another full time ride, unless the merger allows DRR to run a 2nd car
    There's only one 500 that matters, and it isn't in Florida in February.

Quote Originally Posted by AndrettiFan89 View Post
    My fear is that Harding folds and the assets are purchased by DRR since they've already got an alliance together (if I'm not mistaken). This could mean we don't add another full time ride, unless the merger allows DRR to run a 2nd car
    No alliance that I know of.

Quote Originally Posted by Hitokiri View Post
    I'm in another forum and they're already talking the 2020 schedule.
    I can understand the season ending every June 1 but skipping a whole year? Not sure about that.

Quote Originally Posted by Bullwinkle View Post
    R-O-S-E-N-Q-V-I-S-T
    Thats who they wanted last year so wouldn’t be a shock.

I think that Hinch is in play to move somewhere next year,perhaps RLLR or Ganassi.

Quote Originally Posted by AndrettiFan89 View Post
    Harding Racing was housed in the Dreyer & Reinbold Racing shop last year just so they could get off the ground, but there is no technical alliance this season. Harding is well-funded--that's why they have the Main Street shop--and I would be absolutely stunned if they packed up and went away. Dreyer & Reinbold's likely expansion will not come at the expense of Harding's operations. There's no way Dennis Reinbold is going to buy Harding's equipment, he's already got more than enough to run a full-time two-car team. I expect to see Sage Karam full-time for Dreyer & Reinbold and Gabby Chaves full-time for Harding next season. The main question in my mind is whether Dreyer & Reinbold or Harding are ready to field a second full-time car or if they have a second car that is Indy-only or possibly runs a limited schedule.

I don't think RP will be flushing away Pagenaud. 2016 series champion and had a heck of a 2017 season too. I think his job is safe.
    Roger is all about the Indy 500 and he said in a Racer interview that to win the 500, you need to have bullets.
    2 ex champions and current champion aren't going anywhere
    Rest in peace, Dan Wheldon 1978 - 2011

In the most recent Marshall Pruett Sportcar podcast it was stated Will was on very thin ice coming into the month of May. Penske wants Wickens and Marshall said without winning Indy there’s a decent chance Will was going to transition to the DPi Acura’s. But with winning Indy he should be secure. But who knows with Roger. When he makes his mind up he doesn’t waver.

re: Wickens

In the Sam Schmidt Dinner w/ Racers episode, Sam was asked about Robert Wickens' contract. He stated something to the effect that he learned his lesson when Pagenaud was poached after 2014 and that Robby's contract is much more favorable to SPM for keeping Wickens around for long-term.

To be honest, similar to how the schedule will remain the same for 2019, I kinda feel like the main grid will as well. The questions shall revolve around the outliers.

Participation levels of teams PT/FT: Shank-Meyer, Juncos, DRR, Scuderia Corso, and of course, McLaren. McLaren could have bearing on what Steinbrenner and Herta do in 2019.

Driver-wise: Is Ed Jones safe? ZCD has been better each race, does DCR hold onto him or Pietro? Are Colton Herta (age 19 next year) or Pato O'Ward (age 20 next year) ready to move up?

Colton has Steinbrenner and of course Letterman and the Steinbrenners go way back from their days in NYC. I could easily see him at Rahal
    "Lyrically, I'm Mario Andretti on the mo-mo" - A Tribe Called Quest

I am sort of rooting for O'Ward to win Lights, and move up. I think he's a bit more seasoned, plus that would likely avoid any Andretti complications with McLaren.

Retired curmudgeon
    Quote Originally Posted by RobChuck View Post
    re: Wickens

In the Sam Schmidt Dinner w/ Racers episode, Sam was asked about Robert Wickens' contract. He stated something to the effect that he learned his lesson when Pagenaud was poached after 2014 and that Robby's contract is much more favorable to SPM for keeping Wickens around for long-term.
    Roger: Sam, I'll swap you Pag for Wicky and throw in some valuable Penske truck lease coupons.

It's nice to see new teams in the conversation the last couple years. It was becoming quite concerning seeing the number of teams that had folded since unification.

Quote Originally Posted by Fro View Post
    Juncos (Not confirmed to run the rest of season and relying on total ride-buyers)
    They are skipping the rest of the ovals but I believe this was the plan from the beginning.

Quote Originally Posted by PPGfan View Post
    It's nice to see new teams in the conversation the last couple years. It was becoming quite concerning seeing the number of teams that had folded since unification.
    Newman Haas
    DRR - not full time since '12
    Panther
    Conquest
    HVM

Am I missing any? That was what came to my head

I too am excited to hear about new teams interested.

Newman Haas
    DRR - not full time since '12
    Panther
    Conquest
    HVM

Am I missing any? That was what came to my head

I too am excited to hear about new teams interested.
    Luczo Dragon, Fischer, and KV come to mind right away.

Insider
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by PPGfan View Post
    Luczo Dragon, Fischer, and KV come to mind right away.
    Dragon still exists as a Formula E team. Vasser-Sullivan are partnered with Coyne.