Page 3 of 45 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: What the heck: 2018/2019 Silly Season

I hear the "belt-tightening" at Harding is a hiring freeze plus a reduction in some planned hospitality at upcoming races. In the meantime, the team is ramping up its efforts to find sponsorship, but their place on the grid with one car next season looks to be assured. The original plan was to run two cars next year--much like Dreyer and Reinbold they have the equipment to make this happen--but it is certainly a no go without sponsorship.

Quote Originally Posted by dwaldrep51 View Post
    They are skipping the rest of the ovals but I believe this was the plan from the beginning.
    Are they still looking for sponsorship for Portland and Sonoma GPs (the two road races they aren't confirmed for yet)?
    Some fans claim one series or another runs "real race cars." What's everybody else running, fake race cars? :confused:

INDYCAR - NOW IZODIER THAN EVER!

my blog ... I'm not a big fat woodchuck, I'm THE big fat woodchuck.

Quote Originally Posted by ay1 View Post
    I hear the "belt-tightening" at Harding is a hiring freeze plus a reduction in some planned hospitality at upcoming races. In the meantime, the team is ramping up its efforts to find sponsorship, but their place on the grid with one car next season looks to be assured. The original plan was to run two cars next year--much like Dreyer and Reinbold they have the equipment to make this happen--but it is certainly a no go without sponsorship.
    It seems like they went about this sort of backwards. They brought in all these expensive, big name people but didn't have any sponsorship to make sure they could afford it. Hopefully they can pin down a good sponsor soon so they can become a little more financially secure.

Fortunately Gabby has done a great job keeping his nose clean this year, otherwise they might be in a world of hurt.

Quote Originally Posted by RTS7 View Post

Fortunately Gabby has done a great job keeping his nose clean this year, otherwise they might be in a world of hurt.
    good point regarding Gabby. Off the top of my head, I can't recall any damage from really any session at all this year. I'm sure he's had to replace a front wing, but I can't think of any "major" damage.
    World's biggest Ryan Hunter-Reay fan!

When not discussing opinions, I try my best to only post facts, if I post something factually incorrect please correct me with a source (if possible)

Gabby is an expert at nursing his car home to the finish which is why he is the perfect driver for a start up team like Harding. He only has one DNF in his entire IndyCar career being an engine failure at Pocono, a race in which he was contending for the win.

Quote Originally Posted by thehairpin View Post
    Are they still looking for sponsorship for Portland and Sonoma GPs (the two road races they aren't confirmed for yet)?
    I would think so but I don't know for sure. With those races being 3 months away there seems to be enough time for something to develop.

Blog Entries
    I'm hearing 6 Andretti cars for next year.

Marco and Fernando with McClaren. RHR and Rossi with Andretti. Veach and Herta with Herta/Steinbrenner.

Quote Originally Posted by Muskie4041 View Post

Marco and Fernando with McClaren. RHR and Rossi with Andretti. Veach and Herta with Herta/Steinbrenner.
    I think the driver lineup above makes a lot of sense, but don't see Marco Andretti being with the McLaren portion of the team, because the Andretti tie-up is likely to be a short-term solution. McLaren will be on its own sooner rather than later, so it probably is a one-car portion of the team in 2019. I think Marco will continue to work with Bryan Herta and Colton will have another voice in his ear during the races.

That almost seems like overkill to me. I like the idea of adding more cars, but should 1 team really be allowed to have 6 cars?

Quote Originally Posted by RHRfan#1 View Post
    That almost seems like overkill to me. I like the idea of adding more cars, but should 1 team really be allowed to have 6 cars?
    It wouldn't be for long. In fact, McLaren might be on their own by year two.

Herta has zero ownership stake in AA, so I don't see him "owning" two of the cars.
    "If your car was a dog, then you had to figure it out and test your own limits. And we didn't go to a wind tunnel – we did it in the first turn at Indianapolis."

doitagain's adopted son aaron5572's Avatar

That sounds like the perfect set up. Can you imagine two bright orange McLarens? Beautiful.
    The Original Fan of Kimi "The Iceman" Raikkonen 2007 World Driving Champion: 21 Wins---102 Podiums---18 Pole Positions---43 Fastest Laps ---1 Gorilla Suit

Quote Originally Posted by Grizzlor View Post
    Herta has zero ownership stake in AA, so I don't see him "owning" two of the cars.
    please explain the structure of his employment there.
    doesn't he/bha own the rossi contract? does herta own the napa, curb and steinbrenner relationships/contracts?
    doesn't he/bha still own a tub?

Quote Originally Posted by ndcrs View Post
    please explain the structure of his employment there.
    doesn't he/bha own the rossi contract? does herta own the napa, curb and steinbrenner relationships/contracts?
    I thought BHA was folded into AA before the 2016 - not sure what that means from an "ownership" standpoint and I'm sure it might be pretty complicated once it gets down to brass tacks - but my thought was always Michael "owns" everything and that individuals like Herta or Mike Curb provide additional funding/support - maybe more than just sponsors - but not enough to be equal partners?? Just speculation on my part and I'd also be curious to get some clarification.
    Real drivers don't need fenders!

What irony, a team comprised of a guy who can get the most out of a bad car and the guy who can get the least out of a good one.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelican Joe View Post
    I thought BHA was folded into AA before the 2016 - not sure what that means from an "ownership" standpoint and I'm sure it might be pretty complicated once it gets down to brass tacks - but my thought was always Michael "owns" everything and that individuals like Herta or Mike Curb provide additional funding/support - maybe more than just sponsors - but not enough to be equal partners?? Just speculation on my part and I'd also be curious to get some clarification.
    Bryan is "technically" the owner on the entry list, plus Curb-Agajanian, but that's just legalese. Steinbrenner thing is between that family and Michael, with Colton simply the paid driver.

Quote Originally Posted by ndcrs View Post
    doesn't he/bha own the rossi contract?
    No, Rossi's contract has always been with Andretti.

does herta own the napa, curb and steinbrenner relationships/contracts?
    NAPA, no. Curb, yes. Steinbrenner, I doubt it.

Not sure what he "owns". He is not just an employee, and he has his racing interests outside of AA that are his (Hyundai TCR team, for instance). I believe I heard him explain once that when the 98 does well, he does well. Just a guess based on my knowledge of a few other racing business arrangements and interconnected LLCs in general, but I would presume that the 98 tub, leaders circle money, etc., is owned by a separate LLC that is owned jointly by AA and BHA. And that the costs and revenue from that car flow into and out of that LLC.

I would presume that the DCR/VS arrangement for the 18 car is similarly structured.

Quote Originally Posted by Bullwinkle View Post
    No, Rossi's contract has always been with Andretti.

NAPA, no. Curb, yes. Steinbrenner, I doubt it.

Not sure what he "owns". He is not just an employee, and he has his racing interests outside of AA that are his (Hyundai TCR team, for instance). I believe I heard him explain once that when the 98 does well, he does well. Just a guess based on my knowledge of a few other racing business arrangements and interconnected LLCs in general, but I would presume that the 98 tub, leaders circle money, etc., is owned by a separate LLC that is owned jointly by AA and BHA. And that the costs and revenue from that car flow into and out of that LLC.

I would presume that the DCR/VS arrangement for the 18 car is similarly structured.

Sulli and Vasser own nothing. Dale owns 100% of the No. 18 entry and employs all of the crew. I'm sure Sulli and Jimmy are getting a cut in any sponsorship that they bring in.

Wonder what happens to O'Ward in this scenario?
    "Lyrically, I'm Mario Andretti on the mo-mo" - A Tribe Called Quest

Quote Originally Posted by gottastayfly View Post
    Wonder what happens to O'Ward in this scenario?
    He'll take his money to either Coyne, or Juncos.

Insider
    Blog Entries
    https://racer.com/2018/06/07/schmidt...-with-wickens/

Robert Wickens has a "multi-year" deal with SPM. I guess Schmidt told Marshall Pruett it was five years (Pruett seems skeptical of that), but it's definitely for 2019 at least.

Quote Originally Posted by Racer
    “It’s a multi-year deal and we don’t have any intention of letting him go,” SPM co-owner Sam Schmidt told RACER. “He’s everything we could possibly hope for and more. Sometimes you roll the dice and make a mistake. Fortunately, we didn’t.

Quote Originally Posted by Fro View Post
    https://racer.com/2018/06/07/schmidt...-with-wickens/

Robert Wickens has a "multi-year" deal with SPM. I guess Schmidt told Marshall Pruett it was five years (Pruett seems skeptical of that), but it's definitely for 2019 at least.
    I think this is simply Sam Schmidt marking his territory to fend off advances from Team Penske, but the reality is that Roger Penske normally waits for a driver's contract to run its course before he pounces. That's why the Simon Pagenaud and Josef Newgarden deals might have been signed, but happened long after they were first rumored. Of course that doesn't preclude a surprise hiring such as when Penske brought Juan Montoya onboard. I believe that both Alexander Rossi and Graham Rahal are available at the end of the season with no buyout to their current teams, but Robert Wickens is not going to change teams without Schmidt getting something in return. The last time I remember Penske giving anything up was in 1989 when he gifted Patrick Racing new Penske PC-18/Chevrolets for Emerson Fittipaldi. The deal in that case was that Marlboro split its sponsorship between Penske and Patrick in 1989 before transitioning solely to Penske--along with Fittipaldi--for the 1990 season. Even though Fittipaldi won both the Indianapolis 500 and the CART championship in 1989, my guess is that Penske still looks fondly upon bringing Marlboro aboard and giving the team the financial wherewithal to build itself into a juggernaut that eventually conquered all comers with the Penske PC-23 in 1994--using the Ilmor 2.65 for all but one race and the "Beast" Mercedes-Benz 209 engines at Indianapolis. For those too young to remember, that was the year that Penske went 1-2-3 in the championship with Al Unser Jr., Fittipaldi and Paul Tracy. The icing on the cake was Unser Jr. taking both the pole and the race at Indianapolis with the Ilmor-built pushrod Mercedes-Benz 209 engine. That followed wins at Indianapolis for Rick Mears in 1991 and Fittipaldi in 1993 in Marlboro colors. When Penske makes a deal it usually works out well for the team.

Los Angeles, but my heart is always at 16th & Georgetown
    Quote Originally Posted by doug251 View Post
    What irony, a team comprised of a guy who can get the most out of a bad car and the guy who can get the least out of a good one.
    My vote for most accurate post of the year!
    When I dream about the moonlight on the Wabash...

McLaren. please
    BAN SHREDDED CHEESE! MAKE AMERICA GRATE AGAIN!

https://www.motorsport.com/indycar/n...-deal-1045162/

Rahal Letterman Lanigan Racing has announced a multi-year contract extension with driver Graham Rahal today.
    So much for Graham to Penske.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Grizzlor View Post
    I guess that was the safe move by both sides of the deal. I wish Graham would try his luck somewhere else but why get rid of something that has been working out so well for a few seasons now.
    "The only good horsepower is usable horsepower.."

Quote Originally Posted by Hitokiri View Post
    I guess that was the safe move by both sides of the deal. I wish Graham would try his luck somewhere else but why get rid of something that has been working out so well for a few seasons now.
    Last time Rahal went to a big team it wasn't all rainbows and unicorns. Allure probably isn't as strong as it may have been at one point.
    From a couch in Texas

Retired curmudgeon
    Quote Originally Posted by Jakester View Post
    McLaren. please
    My daughter has a Maclaren stroller for the kids...

Road racing is doomed...what this country needs is a big new racetrack designed for automobiles instead of horses. C.G. Fisher

Quote Originally Posted by Hitokiri View Post
    Graham sees this as a family business now. He was never going to leave.

Quote Originally Posted by dubsywheels View Post
    Gabby is an expert at nursing his car home to the finish which is why he is the perfect driver for a start up team like Harding. He only has one DNF in his entire IndyCar career being an engine failure at Pocono, a race in which he was contending for the win.
    And he’s a not-so-impressive 18th in the standings. Maybe a little more aggression would be good!