Page 5 of 45 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: What the heck: 2018/2019 Silly Season

Quote Originally Posted by Rossfeld View Post
    Historically, how does that second car do? I guess post Fisher merger. He really seems to be shown up by Jordan King.
    Agreed; I mean, Conway won 2x on RC when ECR was only a one car team. Newgarden won a race and had 11 top 10s (including 4 top 6s on RC/SC) in 2016, Newgarden won 2 races the previous year with 9 top 10s, and Fillipi was no slouch with a 2nd place, 5 top 10 finishes and 8 top 10 starts.

Hildebrand was less than stellar last year, but he was never a proven RC/SC racer anyway.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tree0404 View Post
    Pigot's actually seemed to regress this year which is a bit odd.

Ed might give him one more year just to put up or shut up; i doubt he goes Foyt-esque and bails on him after only one full season but yeesh, it's not been good so far.
    I know some on here feel as though Pigot should be doing better but when compared to how Jordan King is doing this year and JR's stats last year - they all seem to be doing very similar. King did qualify very well but got caught up in some accidents - a couple which he did himself.

I'm starting to feel it's not Pigot's fault but something with the team. I hope Carpenter and his sponsors aren't looking around and asking - "Why did Newgarden do so well then?". Well...Newgarden took years to develop and feel comfortable with the team. Plus it seemed people focused more on his good times then his bad which helped out a lot.

I do hope Pigot does get another season or else ECR might be swapping drivers for a while.
    "The only good horsepower is usable horsepower.."

ECR regressed when they lost lead engineer Jeremy Milless... look at what he is doing with Rossi now.
    "Lyrically, I'm Mario Andretti on the mo-mo" - A Tribe Called Quest

Quote Originally Posted by gottastayfly View Post
    ECR regressed when they lost lead engineer Jeremy Milless... look at what he is doing with Rossi now.
    This. They are better this year after trading the WEC guy for Allen Mcdonald.

Yes and SPM worse off after dumping Mcdonald.

Insider
    Quote Originally Posted by gottastayfly View Post
    My thoughts as well. Pigot is a rookie on ovals too which is going to skew things heavily in favor of Ed.

King has been fast but he seems to have an accident every weekend he is driving.

Quote Originally Posted by Tree0404 View Post
    Pigot's actually seemed to regress this year which is a bit odd.

Ed might give him one more year just to put up or shut up; i doubt he goes Foyt-esque and bails on him after only one full season but yeesh, it's not been good so far.
    You have to look at Pigot's performance in context of the Honda-Chevy dynamic. You have to look at where he is "in class", both in 2017 and 2018. There clearly have been tracks where Pigot had no chance, simply because of the logo on the car.

If you look at 2018:

St. Pete-- 15th (sixth Chevy)
    Phoenix-- 14th (5)--Behind Carpenter
    Long Beach-- 15th (6)
    Barber--15th (5)--Behind Jordan King
    GP of Indy--15th (6)
    Indy 500--20th (9)--behind Carpenter
    Detroit 1--10th (3)
    Detroit 2--23rd (11) Behind Jordan King
    Texas--11th (3)

You can see Pigot has an affinity for finishing 15th. You can also see that he is pretty consistently the 3rd, 5th or 6th Chevy. Looked at this way the 10th in Detroit looks like a helluva drive. As does the 11th in Texas and the 14th in Phoenix. Those were tracks where Honda clearly had something on Chevy. So it's not reasonable for Pigot to have a top 5 finish.

Jordan King has only beaten him twice, so that shows that his teammate is not getting more out of the car than he is. Ed Carpenter is getting more out of the car on ovals than Spencer is. Which could be an issue long term.

Personally, I think stability might be more important to Carpenter's team than absolute performance right now.

Ed is trying to develop his drivers, so he's not going to pull the hair trigger. That said, King is expendable in that he's there for his check primarily, and if they hear about another driver with a decent rep, they could bring that one in.
    "If your car was a dog, then you had to figure it out and test your own limits. And we didn't go to a wind tunnel – we did it in the first turn at Indianapolis."

Insider
    Blog Entries
    https://www.indystar.com/story/sport...ome/704696002/

From Ayello's piece in the Indy Star:

If McLaren makes the move to IndyCar, most assume it will be in a partnership with an already established team. Will it be Andretti Autosport -- the team it paired with for the 500 last year -- or someone else? And will Formula One superstar Fernando Alonso be be joining McLaren’s North American excursion or will he toil in F1 for another season? Another question to consider: Will McLaren run more than one car? Brown has said his dream is for McLaren’s program to feature a pair of cars, but perhaps Year 1 is too early to expect that level of commitment.

Speaking of Andretti, Indy Lights phenom Colton Herta has repeatedly said he hopes to make the jump from Lights to IndyCar next year. Will that leap to the big time include his current team, Andretti-Steinbrenner, or perhaps just Steinbrenner in a partnership with another team?

Scuderia Corsa, which partnered with RLL for this year’s 500, is said to be examining the possibility of entering the series full time, as is Dreyer & Reinbold, which hasn’t raced Indy cars full time since 2012.

And while this doesn’t fit under the headline of “new blood joining the series,” how big will Michael Shank and Ricardo Juncos’ expansions be for next season? Both still aim at full-time programs though that might not be in the offing for 2019. Shank has already said he hopes to boost Meyer Shank Racing to 8-10 races next year with the long-term goal of turning MSR IndyCar in a two-car program. Meanwhile, Juncos still wants to run at least one car full-time next year, but no news has broken on that front yet.
    Not much new, but I'm reminded of Meyer-Shank wanting 8-10 races next year (they're doing 6 this year).

Retired curmudgeon
    Quote Originally Posted by Fro View Post

Not much new, but I'm reminded of Meyer-Shank wanting 8-10 races next year (they're doing 6 this year).
    Can someone explain (given how I think the LC money works) the economics of a partial season? I can see running Indy only, or the whole season, but anything in between ??
    Road racing is doomed...what this country needs is a big new racetrack designed for automobiles instead of horses. C.G. Fisher

I'm concerned Juncos won't be back next year in a full time manner.
    World's biggest Ryan Hunter-Reay fan!

When not discussing opinions, I try my best to only post facts, if I post something factually incorrect please correct me with a source (if possible)

Insider
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nascarnation View Post
    Can someone explain (given how I think the LC money works) the economics of a partial season? I can see running Indy only, or the whole season, but anything in between ??
    You can cherry-pick the network TV races/bigger markets, avoid some of the ovals where you're worried about heavy crash damage. I think with Shank he's got people on his crew doing both the sportscar races and IndyCar, so he'd have to hire more people to do both when the weekends conflict.

Retired curmudgeon
    Quote Originally Posted by Fro View Post
    You can cherry-pick the network TV races/bigger markets, avoid some of the ovals where you're worried about heavy crash damage. I think with Shank he's got people on his crew doing both the sportscar races and IndyCar, so he'd have to hire more people to do both when the weekends conflict.
    Good points, thanks

Insider
    Quote Originally Posted by nascarnation View Post
    Like Fro said, most of those new partial season teams have staff that overlap with other programs whether it be sports cars or junior formula. That helps save costs while a sponsor writes the check for the rest of it. LC is a good amount of money but it's still a long way from a full budget.

Quote Originally Posted by RHRfan#1 View Post
    I'm more concerned about Harding than Juncos.

Both of them need to devote some serious efforts into their sponsorship efforts during the offseason.

Quote Originally Posted by RTS7 View Post
    I'm more concerned about Harding than Juncos.

Both of them need to devote some serious efforts into their sponsorship efforts during the offseason.
    There is no question that both teams could use a serious infusion of funding for 2019. Harding should be back with Gabby Chaves, but if sponsorship doesn't arrive a driver that brings funding might be in line for the ride. Juncos will probably continue to have drivers hop in and out of his car until he lands some solid sponsorship for Kyle Kaiser. It would be a shock to see either team not return in some form next season.

With all the talk of Ed Jones and Spencer Pigot possibly being on the hot seat, it is hard to imagine that Leist isn't as well. AJ has shown that he is not afraid to get rid of underperforming youngsters, as he did last year with Munoz and Daly. Although Leist has shown flashes of promise his best finish is only 12th, he is the worst fulltime driver in the standings beside Chilton, and has only beat his teammate in two races, one of which was the Indy 500, a race in which Kanaan was a contender before crashing out. Is he going to be another one-and-done for Foyt?

Quote Originally Posted by dubsywheels View Post
    With all the talk of Ed Jones and Spencer Pigot possibly being on the hot seat, it is hard to imagine that Leist isn't as well. AJ has shown that he is not afraid to get rid of underperforming youngsters, as he did last year with Munoz and Daly. Although Leist has shown flashes of promise his best finish is only 12th, he is the worst fulltime driver in the standings beside Chilton, and has only beat his teammate in two races, one of which was the Indy 500, a race in which Kanaan was a contender before crashing out. Is he going to be another one-and-done for Foyt?
    To answer your question: NO.

Leist isn’t going anywhere. For that matter, neither is TK.

Quote Originally Posted by davidgarvin View Post
    To answer your question: NO.

Leist isn’t going anywhere. For that matter, neither is TK.
    I agree completely.

I agree that TK shouldn't be leaving but IMO Leist has to step up his game or he could become another Jack Hawksworth for AJ.

I agree that TK shouldn't be leaving but IMO Leist has to step up his game or he could become another Jack Hawksworth for AJ.
    Larry and AJ are very pleased with Matt’s progress in addition to him adding another associate sponsor this week.

Blog Entries
    Robin Miller reported that Leist had ties to Brazlian TV networks that are not only sponsoring Leist but are also trying to find the next Brazilian Indycar star. I have a feeling as long as this connection is there Leist will continue to drive for Foyt Racing.

If Foyt for whatever reason does get ride of Leist I think it'll be another mistake. A team can go through driver by driver and try to find the next Will Power or Scott Dixon or else they can support a driver and mold that driver into one like Newgarden. Foyt has the ability to support a young driver. I wish they had the patience to do so.

Leist is helping pay for TK. I think TK is more at risk there.

Quote Originally Posted by vintage View Post
    Bingo

I thought Leist would be a lot more wreck prone than he has been this year. Him keeping the car clean during the two weeks at Indy really improved his stock. The only hot seat Leist is going to deal with is his car being on fire at Texas. And yes, TK is more at risk, IMO

Quote Originally Posted by vintage View Post
    based off TK speed at Indy this year, he's going no where for 2019. If he wants to race in 2019, he will, at Foyt.

based off TK speed at Indy this year, he's going no where for 2019. If he wants to race in 2019, he will, at Foyt.
    Agreed, Kanaan is going nowhere..
    "Paff has been closer to the mark than anyone will give him credit for."

Richard Kimble 11/18/2010

"Paff is far more right than any of you will EVER give him credit for.

As non politically correct and un IndyCar friendly as it is, it's the truth. "

SeeuInMay 12/29/2010

Kanaan signed a mulitiyear contract during the offseason so he is not at risk this coming offseason.

One of their drivers tells me it is not a wonderful space in which to be. Money is tight, and a fair amount of cutthroat behavior pervades the place, when it shouldn't. It's one thing for Roger to be a little bit of a hard a$$ (which he isn't); it's a whole another deal for Ricardo to be acting like that (which he apparently does).

That sort of behavior for a struggling young team will not help you very much around the garage.

Hearing Kannan talking about developing that team over a period of time, I think Foyt is in with the Brazilians for next year again.
    Silly Season scorecard and Where are the Indy 500 winning cars! http://inrd.gotdns.com/indystuff/