Page 6 of 45 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: What the heck: 2018/2019 Silly Season

Quote Originally Posted by THE BEAR View Post
    One of their drivers tells me it is not a wonderful space in which to be. Money is tight, and a fair amount of cutthroat behavior pervades the place, when it shouldn't. It's one thing for Roger to be a little bit of a hard a$$ (which he isn't); it's a whole another deal for Ricardo to be acting like that (which he apparently does).

That sort of behavior for a struggling young team will not help you very much around the garage.
    Yeah it makes me wonder if Kaiser got his moneys worth for the Mazda prize... Other then a decent Indy qual they haven't done much. Heck they didn't even go out in the second Detroit qual.
    (well Decent in relative terms, I thought for sure they were bump bait, but ended up 17th position for quals.)
    Silly Season scorecard and Where are the Indy 500 winning cars! http://inrd.gotdns.com/indystuff/

Retired curmudgeon
    Quote Originally Posted by PaddockMoose View Post
    Hearing Kannan talking about developing that team over a period of time, I think Foyt is in with the Brazilians for next year again.
    The Nose has plenty of ability left and many years experience. Foyt should hang on to him if they want to improve the team.

Now if Foyts are just showing up to provide employment for the owners and team guys, I'm sure there are ride-buyers who would jump on board.
    Road racing is doomed...what this country needs is a big new racetrack designed for automobiles instead of horses. C.G. Fisher

Leist might have Brazilian backing but it's because it's from family not a communications company like everyone says. AJ loves the kid and if he keeps growing as a driver, he'll be a star compared to a Fittapaldi and others in my opinion. TK has a 2-year deal, so unless something drastic happens I think you'll see both back next year.

TK brings 7-11 money, Bryant money, and NTT Data personal services. This fund pays for his salary.........and likely covers the financing of the other things TK brought.....Eric Cowdin, Travis Jacobson, crew members. Its Kanaan's efforts that pushed the team upgrades.

Leist does indeed bring Brazil TV money, not family bucks. This additional funding, as well as the new sponsors onboard this year, fund a new damper program, shaker rig and simulator time and being at every test date available.

Team upgrades have convinced Chevy to include Foyt in Manufacturer test days.

Foyt has taken strides forward, more are needed. This doesnt happen overnight, it takes time, and AJ and Larry seem committed to transforming the team.

The second half of the season should be better, just looking for some good luck instead of bad
    Third Gen Indy Fan

Quote Originally Posted by EdJVuky View Post
    TK brings 7-11 money, Bryant money, and NTT Data personal services. This fund pays for his salary.........and likely covers the financing of the other things TK brought.....Eric Cowdin, Travis Jacobson, crew members. Its Kanaan's efforts that pushed the team upgrades.

Leist does indeed bring Brazil TV money, not family bucks. This additional funding, as well as the new sponsors onboard this year, fund a new damper program, shaker rig and simulator time and being at every test date available.

Foyt has taken strides forward, more are needed. This doesnt happen overnight, it takes time, and AJ and Larry seem committed to transforming the team.

The second half of the season should be better, just looking for some good luck instead of bad
    excellent post, thank you.
    World's biggest Ryan Hunter-Reay fan!

When not discussing opinions, I try my best to only post facts, if I post something factually incorrect please correct me with a source (if possible)

Does anyone have insight into TK's long-term aspirations? Would team ownership potentially be in his future? If so, it wouldn't surprise me if both sides view this arrangement as turning into the modern equivalent of Ganassi / Pat Patrick, at some point.

Quote Originally Posted by MM658 View Post
    Does anyone have insight into TK's long-term aspirations? Would team ownership potentially be in his future? If so, it wouldn't surprise me if both sides view this arrangement as turning into the modern equivalent of Ganassi / Pat Patrick, at some point.
    Personally, I doubt it. I'd love to see him be a team owner but I'm not sure those are his aspirations. I don't know TK, just my opinion.

This is spot on. Anyone who believes there will be movement on either seat are way off base.

I could see Tony taking on a Rick Mears/Dario Franchitti type role after h retires from driving

I could see Tony taking on a Rick Mears/Dario Franchitti type role after h retires from driving
    I was thinking, more along the lines of a Herta or Vasser. Minor owner/leadership role and driver coach strategist.

Mears and Dario are pure drivers coach.

I was thinking, more along the lines of a Herta or Vasser. Minor owner/leadership role and driver coach strategist.
    Yeah, that's what I was thinking. My Ganassi analogy may have been a poor one, in that respect.
    It seems like TK has put a lot into assembling personnel for this year, and managing expectations. It also seems like he is taking a mentor role for Leist. All of which would mesh well with the "minority owner / team leader" type of role, post-driving career.

Yeah it makes me wonder if Kaiser got his moneys worth for the Mazda prize... Other then a decent Indy qual they haven't done much. Heck they didn't even go out in the second Detroit qual.
    (well Decent in relative terms, I thought for sure they were bump bait, but ended up 17th position for quals.)
    If only qualifying 17th for the 500 with a rookie driver and sitting out a street course qualifying session in the rain are the best signs of how bad things are; then things aren't that bad.

Look at Binders results in qualifying, he best result is what, 3rd from last? Ricardo knows Binder isn’t a race winner at all. He is getting setups and data for next year hopefully. Why send a car out in the rain to maybe start 15th when the downside is crashing it and the team has little to no spares. Seems smart to me.

I would argue that out of the 4 new teams this year, Juncos has been the strongest. Kaiser qualified 14th in Phoenix and was racing in the top 12 all night until he hit the wall. He didn't get to qualify in Long Beach, but he raced his way up the field, spun, then finished 16th. The Indy GP wasn't that great, but he did get to lead 2 laps on strategy and finished on the lead lap. Then he qualified 17th, smack dab in the middle of the field, at Indy and was racing for a good result until a mechanical issue ended his day in 29th.

Over those 4 races, Juncos was faster than Carlin, Harding and Shank. The problem is, their package is just being completely wasted by Rene Binder.

Blog Entries
    That Pruett article is wild.

Insider
    Blog Entries
    https://racer.com/2018/06/21/dixon-t...is-ramping-up/

Basically:
    - McLaren essentially confirmed, question is who the driver is (Dixon, Alonso, or ???) and what team they partner with (Andretti or RLLR)
    - Scuderia Corsa looking to come in FT, although they need a driver with some budget
    - Teams looking at Felix Rosenqvist
    - Bourdais an option at Ganassi, especially if Dixon leaves
    - Steinbrenner/Herta possibly at RLLR or ECR if Andretti's 5th car is McLaren
    - Penske has Newgarden under contract for next season, probably going to keep same driver lineup, but looking for next young ace driver

Okay so at this point. Who is actually all ready signed for next year?

Veach has a 3 year contract starting this year.
    TK has a 2 year contract starting this year.
    Wickens is under a multi year contract.
    Newgarden is under a multi year contract.
    Ed Carpenters name is on the damn door, he isn't going anywhere.
    I know I am missing some.

RHR is locked in with DHL and AA through 2020.

Quote Originally Posted by RHRfan#1 View Post
    RHR is locked in with DHL and AA through 2020.
    Awesome. Thanks.

Rossi signed a 2 year deal for this year and next as well.

I forgot Graham. He will be at RLL for the foreseeable future.

Awesome. Thanks.

Rossi signed a 2 year deal for this year and next as well.

Hinch is signed with multi-year at SPM.

Quote Originally Posted by IndyFan99 View Post
    Hinch is signed with multi-year at SPM.
    Thanks, that about covers it I think except the Penske drivers, and I don't think any of them are going anywhere.

Rossi is at Andretti unless he gets an F1 offer. I believe his contract was up after 2017.

Rahal just signed a 5-year commitment.

The other end of this is which teams are committed to Honda and Chevy

Andretti just signed, so you would expect that's for more than one year.

I would expect that Ganassi's 2016 contract has a year to run yet. And after the split with Chevy, I think going back would be difficult on a number of levels.

Hinch is partially funded by Honda Canada and has a personal services deal with Honda, so it's hard to see SPM moving.

That leaves RLLR and Dale Coyne as the questionable Honda runners.

I could not see Carpenter switching away from Chevy. And Penske is not going anywhere.

Not sure there will be any movement.

Quote Originally Posted by Bullwinkle View Post
    Rossi is at Andretti unless he gets an F1 offer. I believe his contract was up after 2017.

Rahal just signed a 5-year commitment.
    Rossi signed a 2 year last year.
    http://sports.usatoday.com/2017/08/3...-honda-746341/

Retired curmudgeon

GR needs to get his cute wife out of the race car occasionally and start producing the next gen talent for Force Racing and RLL.

http://inrd.gotdns.com/indystuff/silly.htm

The 2019 page is up. 2018 page was kept, but moved a link off the home page there.

About 10.5 confirmed cars so far.

I cant see any teams changing engines this year.

And here I was thinking that most of the field would remain the same from 2018-19 and now these rumors!

Quote Originally Posted by dubsywheels View Post
    And here I was thinking that most of the field would remain the same from 2018-19 and now these rumors!
    It could or it could not. A lot depends on Ganassi this year.

Scuderia Corso, Juncos, Harding, DRR, DCR 19 all may depend on driver bucks to determine their level of participation.
    "If your car was a dog, then you had to figure it out and test your own limits. And we didn't go to a wind tunnel – we did it in the first turn at Indianapolis."

Quote Originally Posted by Bullwinkle View Post
    Rossi is at Andretti unless he gets an F1 offer
    is his contact actually with andretti or is it still with herta?