Page 7 of 45 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: What the heck: 2018/2019 Silly Season

Quote Originally Posted by Grizzlor View Post
    Scuderia Corso, Juncos, Harding, DRR, DCR 19 all may depend on driver bucks to determine their level of participation.
    I expect all of those to materialize, especially DRR. Didn't Sage Karam during the Texas practice session that they were close to being full time for next year? It's possible that Sage might have some $$ to contribute to that, but I don't think he does.

Either way, it's exciting to see Indycar (potentially) grow in numbers. If only Indy Lights was too.
    World's biggest Ryan Hunter-Reay fan!

When not discussing opinions, I try my best to only post facts, if I post something factually incorrect please correct me with a source (if possible)

Quote Originally Posted by ndcrs View Post
    is his contact actually with andretti or is it still with herta?
    I could be wrong, but I think since Marco and Rossi swapped rides that Rossie is technically with Andretti now, not Herta.

Does somebody have any info regarding this? I couldn't find any source to back up my claim, it's just my own thought.

I am fairly sure that all drivers are signed thru Andretti now for the team.
    The article I posted said that Rossi signed with Andretti.

Ether way. Andretti is locked up with 3 full time drivers signed. Marco we never get the details on his contract.

If BHA does go their own way. Does Andretti run four full time rides to give Marco a ride?
    Silly Season scorecard and Where are the Indy 500 winning cars! http://inrd.gotdns.com/indystuff/

Insider
    Blog Entries
    Scuderia Corso, Juncos, Harding, DRR, DCR 19 all may depend on driver bucks to determine their level of participation.
    I'd say the DCR 19 will certainly be on the grid, but obviously sponsorship/funding will determine what level driver gets the seat and whether it's a rent-a-ride or not. At least with Vasser-Sullivan landing sponsors it's possible that might turn into a funded seat.

I would hope with it still being June that other teams/drivers are all trying to land sponsors and aren't just hoping for a driver with money to come.

Herta is going nowhere. What his son and Steinbrenner do are their business.
    "If your car was a dog, then you had to figure it out and test your own limits. And we didn't go to a wind tunnel – we did it in the first turn at Indianapolis."

Quote Originally Posted by dubsywheels View Post
    With all the talk of Ed Jones and Spencer Pigot possibly being on the hot seat, it is hard to imagine that Leist isn't as well. AJ has shown that he is not afraid to get rid of underperforming youngsters, as he did last year with Munoz and Daly. Although Leist has shown flashes of promise his best finish is only 12th, he is the worst fulltime driver in the standings beside Chilton, and has only beat his teammate in two races, one of which was the Indy 500, a race in which Kanaan was a contender before crashing out. Is he going to be another one-and-done for Foyt?

https://www.motorsport.com/indycar/n...9-1047284/?s=1

Boy, do I make myself look stupid. Well, I should have realized that Foyt is keen on Matt.

Cautiously Optimistic drewdawg727's Avatar
    I personally think Leist is exceeding all expectations in his rookie season.

Both say McLaren starting to sound like 2 entries for 2019. Also saying that Michael Latifi, the new big money in McLaren (now 10% owner), is a player in all this. Maybe it's Alonso, maybe it's Scott, but also don't forget Michael's son Nicholas, Canadian in GP2, could be involved. Also word is Dixon might be offered a legit king's ransom (my interpretation is high 7 figures).

RLLR, 3 cars if they can get Colton/George? Is Sato back?

Insider
    Also word is Dixon might be offered a legit king's ransom (my interpretation is high 7 figures).
    Marshall said in that video that he'd heard McLaren was willing to pay Dixon the budget of a well-funded team. And Miller throughout the $12 million dollar number as another example, but I don't think he came up with that number out of thin air.
    Be a better driver, move right except to pass.

Quote Originally Posted by BackHomeAgain View Post
    Marshall said in that video that he'd heard McLaren was willing to pay Dixon the budget of a well-funded team. And Miller throughout the $12 million dollar number as another example, but I don't think he came up with that number out of thin air.
    Well, Scott is probably only making a few million at the most, currently, so either way, we're speculating on a MASSIVE salary coming his way. For those who say, well Mike Hull, Chip, etc. etc. etc., I mean, this could be "silly money" at this point. How does one walk away from that?

McLaren can afford both Fernando Alonso and Scott Dixon. Nicholas Latifi could end up taking Stoffel Vandoorne’s slot at McLaren, while his father helps pay for Alonso and Dixon on the IndyCar side as well as someone like Daniel Ricciardo to lead the F1 team.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ay1 View Post
    McLaren can afford both Fernando Alonso and Scott Dixon. Nicholas Latifi could end up taking Stoffel Vandoorne’s slot at McLaren, while his father helps pay for Alonso and Dixon on the IndyCar side as well as someone like Daniel Ricciardo to lead the F1 team.
    Dixon isn't likely to sign up as Alonso's teammate. He's the best IndyCar driver in generations, he's raced in the sport for almost 20 years, and I doubt he wants the hassles of the politics that McLaren and Alonso represent.

Many of you are looking at this as F1 fans and how that sport operates. That's not Scott Dixon's MO.

McLaren is going to be paying F1 salaries for IndyCar drivers?

Quote Originally Posted by houstonracefan View Post
    Yeah sure, why not? Its not like they are going to spend F1 sums for IndyCar car development are they?

Quote Originally Posted by houstonracefan View Post
    For whatever it is worth, the largest confirmed salaries for indycar drivers was around $3mil/year (Tracy at Forsythe, Helio at Penske) around 2008, as noted in court documents.

Article in The Times today claiming Alonso has no interest in a full time season in Indycar. There is no quote, just the writer saying he's not interested and in the same breath she says he appears almost depressed after the high he experience at LeMans since it's now back to reality driving a slow McLaren F1 car. So we're to believe he's down in the dumps in F1 and that's a perfect reason so stay in F1, yeah right.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/f...itle-snwzwbl0p

Quote Originally Posted by Upmygreen View Post
    For whatever it is worth, the largest confirmed salaries for indycar drivers was around $3mil/year (Tracy at Forsythe, Helio at Penske) around 2008, as noted in court documents.
    True, although both Al Unser Jr. and Michael Andretti were reputed to make around $5 million per year in the big budget days of the 1990s.

For those questioning why Scott Dixon would go to McLaren: 1) It’s life changing money that is well beyond what Chip Ganassi can afford; 2) McLaren will likely be hooked up with Andretti Autosport and provide very good cars that are on par with Ganassi; 3) McLaren can offer a sweet LMP1 seat to go for the overall win at Le Mans in 2020; 4) Dixon can become a paid brand ambassador for McLaren, including help in developing some awesome road cars.

Insider
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by I love pizza View Post
    Article in The Times today claiming Alonso has no interest in a full time season in Indycar. There is no quote, just the writer saying he's not interested and in the same breath she says he appears almost depressed after the high he experience at LeMans since it's now back to reality driving a slow McLaren F1 car. So we're to believe he's down in the dumps in F1 and that's a perfect reason so stay in F1, yeah right.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/f...itle-snwzwbl0p
    It's paywalled so I can't read it, but it makes no logical sense for him to supposedly say he's not interested given all the smoke.

He did mention winning a "Super Triple Crown" last week (presumably getting a WEC championship + IndyCar Championship + Indy 500) and that was a legitimate quote from Alonso.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/20...dy-500-le-mans

At the very least, it's some leverage for him.

Totally agree, he's just playing the silly season PR game we see every year, just leaving options open should something unseen pops up. By the way, you can just put a phony email address and name and you get the article should you wish to read it in full.

Fernando is not going to reveal his cards, that's for sure. As for Dixon, again, huge money aside, maybe, just maybe, he's interested in the "new" challenge. In terms of F1 politics, that's not going to exist over here. It doesn't work. We've had plenty of F1 mechanics and team officials arrive in Indy car, for 40 years, and had no issue with the climate. In fact, they almost all enjoy the community atmosphere as opposed to the stress-filled F1 circus.

Quote Originally Posted by dubsywheels View Post
    Boy, do I make myself look stupid. Well, I should have realized that Foyt is keen on Matt.
    Since when is his name Matt?

One more roadblock removed. Honda Motorsport boss in Japan doesn't seem opposed to Alonso in Indycar driving a Honda powered engine.

https://racer.com/2018/06/23/honda-b...-indycar-move/

So what other roadblocks are there at this point. Salary I suppose and whether Alonso is willing

It was not a supply roadblock but still don't see Honda of Japan bankrolling in any fashion.

I wouldn’t trust the UK print media all all, it has gotten as bad and even more irrelevant then our own. They might as well call themselves tabloids.

Absolutely- wouldn’t wipe my ass on those papers
    Memories of Indy 2012:
    ZUL8TR: "I'm sorry Joel, are we keeping you?"

abc -
    Your home for Indycar on Network TV, where race commentary is delivered as if reading the lunch menu in a rest home. God bless you Marty, Eddy, and Scott, there are few as soporific as you.

Quote Originally Posted by vintage View Post
    Since when is his name Matt?

https://digbza2f4g9qo.cloudfront.net...180619T211118Z

Quote Originally Posted by TrapperJ View Post
    Absolutely- wouldn’t wipe my ass on those papers
    Agreed. Newspapers in the UK are on the whole vile hatred filled rubbish.

Quote Originally Posted by RHRfan#1 View Post
    I could be wrong, but I think since Marco and Rossi swapped rides that Rossie is technically with Andretti now, not Herta.

Does somebody have any info regarding this? I couldn't find any source to back up my claim, it's just my own thought.
    Rossi was always contracted to Andretti Autosport.

I can't believe Chip hasn't secured Dixon's service in perpetuity.
    I can't believe Chip would ever let Dixon test the free agent market.
    Rest in peace, Dan Wheldon 1978 - 2011

I think Miller was referring to Alonso, saying "... and it's still $12 million less" (than he's making now). The conversation was slightly disjointed by that point.

The figure I've seen for Alonso this year is $32,000,000 from McLaren. A 20% haircut from the Honda days, but he's getting all that Kimoa signage in exchange. Plus whatever Toyota is paying him.