Thread: American Flat Track Racing

American Flat Track Racing

Anyone else following American Flat Track? These riders put on a great show.

I'm becoming a bit of a Shayna Texter fan. Running her own team and winning.
    "If you don't do it this year, you'll be another year older when you do"

http://davidm.smugmug.com/

http://www.jacksracephotos.net/

I'm a Shayna fan. Kawasaki factory support! She has to build up the notebook on it. She's not a great short tracker yet but she flys on the miles. She won a heat race at the Virginia Mega Mile, I was rolling HD video of the opening lap. She got the hole shot and took off and when she came around leading, the place stood up and roared for her. One of my favorite videos. I went over to her camp site where she was selling stuff and signing. She was selling her number plates, so i bought 2. I stuffed her tip jar. She then hopped on her bike and went out there and smoked it. That was pretty dang cool.

I'm still wearing Flat Track gear. T shirts, long sleeve T's, and a favorite hoody. The vendor showed up at Virginia and had to dump all the past event shirts he hadn't sold out of yet. 15 bucks or 2 for 20. And they have the best T shirts. I was there first in line the last year. I always got there way early. First one in. 2 skips and a hop down 64.

I have to watch Sturgis. Ralph Shaheen said they race around the inside of a bar, or something I never seen. I can't wait to see it.
    "Far better it is to dare mighty things, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat" -Teddy Roosevelt

I think she racing Husqvarna this year. NBCSN covered the Sturgis race last year it's pretty cool!

BTW I'm pretty sure I'm going in September when they race at Williams Grove.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidM View Post
    I think she racing Husqvarna this year. NBCSN covered the Sturgis race last year it's pretty cool!

BTW I'm pretty sure I'm going in September when they race at Williams Grove.
    Thanks for correcting me. I'm still catching on! The Grove, that sounds like it will be a good event. Scary fast, I presume. It will be one helluva show. I would try not to miss it, if I were you.

Shayna DNQ'd the Buffalo Chip TT in Sturgis. This was a road course with a jump in it. And it wrapped around a bar in Sturgis. Standing room only, it looked like the race to be at. Strange race, but I liked it. They go to the BlackHills Speedway for the oval race, I guess. The best part of Flat Track is, not knowing. It's new to me. I don't know what it was like 50 years, 20 years ago, 10 years ago, and I don't care. I know it was standing room only back then.

Im thinking of headin to the Grove now too. I doubt it, but am thinking about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Unzerdog View Post
    Im thinking of headin to the Grove now too. I doubt it, but am thinking about it.
    All good ideas start with thought!

If you do go let me know!

Thoughts become things. The Black Hills 1/2 mile is on right before Indy Qualifying. I'm really liking NBCSN. If they could put up Thursday Night Thunder, that would be awesome.

Shayna smoked the Black Hills 1/2 mile Singles. Meese had to work for his win this time. One helluva a race. Unreal. The half mile is blinding fast. Williams Grove will be blinding fast. Hope the track prep is as good as it was at the Black Hills.

Reality checker is that Singles rider Alec Muth had an on track incident during qualifying for Black Hills 1/2 mile. Aug 7. The NBCSN telecast closed the show by announcing that he passed away Aug 16th.

This stuff ain't car racing. It is incredibly dangerous. When things go wrong, it isn't pretty. it gives me pause. But damn, that 1/2 mile action looked like it would be well worth the trip to the Grove. But i'm scared of what I might see. Shayna! But I saw a new girl is debuting at The Grove in the singles. She's smoking. Now I have to choose? I like them both.

2019 schedule is out
    https://www.americanflattrack.com/ne...-2019-schedule

Among the changes:

New / returning tracks: Perris (last race in 2017), Wild Horse Pass and Laconia, NH (venue TBA)

Off the schedule: Calistoga, Oklahoma City (Remington Park), Phoenix (Turf Paradise)

Dirt biker/carp hunter Stick500's Avatar
    Flat Track is awesome. I've gotten to see quite a few National events, including Peoria TT a couple of times.

I raced a 500cc quad on the 1/4-mile (smaller) Ascot track. Wide open in fifth gear when you hit the marks just right. It was like racing midgets with no roll cages or seatbelts. Crashes were few, but tended to be pretty ugly (especially for the quads). Future Indy 500 competitor Cory Whitherhill won that night- I got second.
    "Charging a man with murder here was like handing out speeding tickets at the Indy 500."- Capt. Willard, Apocolypse Now
    "Ain't nuthin' like [being with a woman], 'cept maybe the Indy 500."- Bunny, Platoon
    "To alcohol! The cause of- and solution to- all of life's problems."- Homer J. Simpson

Peoria TT is on my Bucket List. If the weather is good will try and make the Grove this year.

The Laconia race is going to be on a new 1/4 mile track they are building on the grounds of New Hampshire Motor Speedway.

I would recommend being there if you live anywhere's near Laconia. Laconia has a bike culture. The place will be packed. Get your tickets early.

My old man rode a soft tail after his divorce. They would rendevous in Laconia N.H. He said they sold high octane race fuel at a certain gas station. The Harley's loved the stuff. Being in Massachusett's, Dad said the second he crossed the state line into N.H., he would hang the helmet on the back sissy bar. That's why they loved riding in the great state of New Hampshire. To each their own. Pops told me of one close call he had on the Mohawk Trail. That was all I needed to hear.