Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Discuss NBC Gold

Quote Originally Posted by Speedbump64 View Post
    I just wish they had already announced pricing and allowed us to buy subscriptions by now. The kids always ask me what I want for Christmas and I'm sure they would pay for it as a Christmas present. I'd be happy and they'd be happy.
    That's an excellent point.

Quote Originally Posted by Boweimer View Post
    Comcast & AT&T in my area have data limits. Comcast has the cap set at 1 TB. If you want unlimited data, it will cost an additional $50.00 a month. When you add in HD & 4K streaming content & kids playing video games on line you go through 1 TB quickly. I’m good with cutting the cord, but these companies aren’t in it to loose money. If you don’t currently have a data cap, just wait.
    My own personal math tells me that "cutting the cord" doesn't make sense unless you have a fibre connection to the internet. The reason is that when you are streaming over the internet, it's damned near impossible to do anything else on the internet unless you have something where the throughput approaches Fibre.

Monster Energy Supercross was announced today as partnering with NBCSN & NBC. $74.99 for the NBC Gold Package with all heats, LCQ's, and main events included. $89.99 for the complete Supercross and Motocross seasons combined.

Is the IndyCar package going to contain races or just the practice and qualifying sessions?

Quote Originally Posted by Bullwinkle View Post
    My own personal math tells me that "cutting the cord" doesn't make sense unless you have a fibre connection to the internet. The reason is that when you are streaming over the internet, it's damned near impossible to do anything else on the internet unless you have something where the throughput approaches Fibre.
    I would also like to add once you pay for Internet service $75.00 & up depending on your speed. Price for Netflix or Amazon prime $15.00. Sling TV $40.00. You add it up, it’s not that different then just bundling Cable & Internet service plus you won’t have the lag that you have streaming.

On The Marshall Pruett Podcast, Mark Miles said he expects that only "hardcore" IndyCar fans will sign up for the NBCSN Gold subscription.

I see that the cycling subscription is $50 for 19 events, so maybe IndyCar will be around there.

I would also like to add once you pay for Internet service $75.00 & up depending on your speed. Price for Netflix or Amazon prime $15.00. Sling TV $40.00. You add it up, it’s not that different then just bundling Cable & Internet service plus you won’t have the lag that you have streaming.
    You're looking at it from your own perspective though. The thing people complained out for years was that there were no options. You could either go with dish package, cable package, or nothing. That's certainly changed now.

Look at someone who travels a lot for work. They spend a lot of time sitting in airports, on planes, and it hotel rooms. A package of a Firestick, Netflix, and SlingTV looks pretty attractive to that person, while an at home cable package couldn't be used the majority of the time it's actually wanted. There's options for different people and different lifestyles. Probably example after example of different scenarios. Options are plentiful and it's exactly what people wanted instead of the cable and satellite monopoly.

When you say "not that different then bundling cable internet", I am shocked. By the time you add in the equipment rentals and countless fees required by a cable contract these deals can easily approach $200 a month. Spectrum had two price increases in 2018, all of which just show up unannounced on the bill.

I suggest that anyone hanging on to cable for their entertainment is spending $50 a month over a streaming service easily. I moved to Playstation Vue (best for racing) three years ago, saving $80 a month. My fee has raised $5 once in that period. If i could find another way to find similar savings in my budget, I would be all over it.

Also, i feel like i gave up nothing. In fact, i think my service is better than that provided by cable.

You fail to mention what you pay for Internet

I pay $70 for internet and $40 for YouTube TV.

$60 and $45

Quote Originally Posted by Buellboy View Post
    I pay $70 for internet and $40 for YouTube TV.
    Tell the truth... you subscribed to YouTube TV because of Cobra Kai...Great show lol

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bullwinkle View Post
    I was going to mention that earlier regarding buffering, etc. those issues are largely your level of service and bandwidth, not the host feed.

We've tried Hulu. We simply use too much data as it is and by the time I add the packages for content I watch, the content my wife watches on top of my kids and working from home 60% of the time, it actually comes out more expensive than the Comcast cable package I carry now. the good thing is NBCSN is basic tier service here. I just prefer the ease of the DVR and streaming features I have. I'd also have to buy even more equipment than I have.

Unfortunately I have no access to FIOS and Comcast won't even talk about a business level of service even though I have a home office and work from home.
    That said, I won't be paying the extra $25.

Quote Originally Posted by Nigel Red5 View Post
    I was going to mention that earlier regarding buffering, etc. those issues are largely your level of service and bandwidth, not the host feed.

We've tried Hulu. We simply use too much data as it is and by the time I add the packages for content I watch, the content my wife watches on top of my kids and working from home 60% of the time, it actually comes out more expensive than the Comcast cable package I carry now. the good thing is NBCSN is basic tier service here. I just prefer the ease of the DVR and streaming features I have. I'd also have to buy even more equipment than I have.

Unfortunately I have no access to FIOS and Comcast won't even talk about a business level of service even though I have a home office and work from home.
    That said, I won't be paying the extra $25.
    This is my issue as well

NBC Gold announced its golf package. $49/year for about the same for the die hardest of die hards supplemental coverage of a sport already well covered on regular linear networks. Expect similar.

Does anyone know yet if NBC Gold will have the races available on demand after broadcast?
    Memories of Indy 2012:
    ZUL8TR: "I'm sorry Joel, are we keeping you?"

abc -
    Your home for Indycar on Network TV, where race commentary is delivered as if reading the lunch menu in a rest home. God bless you Marty, Eddy, and Scott, there are few as soporific as you.

Quote Originally Posted by TrapperJ View Post
    Does anyone know yet if NBC Gold will have the races available on demand after broadcast?
    From what it says on the NBC Sports Gold INDYCAR page it looks like the races will be available on demand afterwards.

"The only place to watch over 100 exclusive hours of coverage including practices and qualifying. Plus, watch every race on-demand with an additional 30-minute fast forward replay."

Link
    Hi! I'm the owner and editor of Open-Wheels.com. Follow us on Twitter or like us on Facebook! If you would like to discuss racing or opportunities with the website, feel free to contact me on here or by e-mail at tanner@open-wheels.com.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobcat00 View Post
    On The Marshall Pruett Podcast, Mark Miles said he expects that only "hardcore" IndyCar fans will sign up for the NBCSN Gold subscription.
    No surprise. A casual fan isn't going to pay for a package that lacks live races. So in that sense I'm not convinced this NBC Gold is a good thing for IndyCar. At least YouTube possibly attracted some new fans, like when Fred tested at Indy, but these new fans aren't paying for Gold.

Of course, this is a way to monetize the hardcore fans' interest in practice and qualy sessions but if there aren't that many subscribers, that can be quite a marginal source of income for NBC. If anything, free content on YouTube might do better job in promoting the sport and thus boosting the TV ratings on NBC and NBCSN.

If the NBC Gold IndyCar package isn't a success, I hope it won't lead to wrong conclusions on the demand for OTT packages. I'm sure many fans would cut the cord (unless they already have) and pay for an all-inclusive IndyCar OTT package. With F1 launching F1 TV, IndyCar can't afford to be stuck with cable (which is a dying platform) for many more years.
    My blog: FINdyCar | My twitter: @FINdyCar

Quote Originally Posted by uscman3 View Post
    From what it says on the NBC Sports Gold INDYCAR page it looks like the races will be available on demand afterwards.

"The only place to watch over 100 exclusive hours of coverage including practices and qualifying. Plus, watch every race on-demand with an additional 30-minute fast forward replay."

Link

Ace. That would make it a good deal for me

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by PPGfan View Post
    You're looking at it from your own perspective though. The thing people complained out for years was that there were no options. You could either go with dish package, cable package, or nothing. That's certainly changed now.

Look at someone who travels a lot for work. They spend a lot of time sitting in airports, on planes, and it hotel rooms. A package of a Firestick, Netflix, and SlingTV looks pretty attractive to that person, while an at home cable package couldn't be used the majority of the time it's actually wanted. There's options for different people and different lifestyles. Probably example after example of different scenarios. Options are plentiful and it's exactly what people wanted instead of the cable and satellite monopoly.
    Even though Comcast Xfinity is still packaged like traditional cable with live TV, I have better access than being limited to those service. Between the cloud DVR, a huge on-demand library, tons of streaming network content, and all but the 4 broadcast networks available anywhere on the computer and on my mobile devices, I get plenty of content anywhere I go. I also can access Netflix, Hulu and Amazon directly through their system apps using my daughters' passwords when traveling so I still have access to live network TV, though obviously I'm not paying for that (directly anyway).

I cast to my hotel TV all the time when travelling. I watched Vikings and another show on my notebook during my flight home KC Friday and watched several shows both streaming and from my dvr in the airport and to and from Dallas the week before. The complaint is still that people would prefer more a la carte choice over what you are paying for with cable. Even with a OTT service, you're still being bundled, just in much smaller bundles. Comcast is also not so quietly capping and throttling service in many markets now, as are most mobile providers. Even though I have unlimited cell data, it's also nice having access to all of Comcast's wifi network nationwide as well where LTE isn't available or as consistent. The only thing I'm unhappy with is they were forced to deactivate the ability to remotely set my DVR because of a lawsuit.

While pricing details were not included, I received an email from INDYCAR Nation offering a discount for IndyCar Pass on NBC Gold. For those of you who attend several races, particularly ones in which you travel far for, I highly recommend an INDYCAR Nation membership.

I was on SlingTV before, which had NBC Sports but not NBC, ABC, etc. YouTube TV is now available in my area so I switched to it in time for the Super Bowl as it adds pretty much everything I used on Sling plus the main networks. So for $40 a month I have NBC & NBCSports. I can watch all Indycar, F1, NASCAR, etc, et al. (assuming there isnt a random F1 or NASCAR race on something like CNBC, which I havent checked if I have).

So, I'm fine really. What would NBC Gold even give me? Live practice and etc? Can't say I'm that bothered. Even if it was free.

I think my previous Charter TV portion of the bill was in the 70s, and I didn't have HBO or anything that interesting.

Announcement on NBC gold will be Thursday per @indy44
    I'd rather have 10% of the world interested in the ICS than 50% of US that NASCAR currently has

I hope it's a reasonable price, I would really love to subscribe to it.
    World's biggest Ryan Hunter-Reay fan!

When not discussing opinions, I try my best to only post facts, if I post something factually incorrect please correct me with a source (if possible)

Quote Originally Posted by Rossfeld View Post
    I was on SlingTV before, which had NBC Sports but not NBC, ABC, etc. YouTube TV is now available in my area so I switched to it in time for the Super Bowl as it adds pretty much everything I used on Sling plus the main networks. So for $40 a month I have NBC & NBCSports. I can watch all Indycar, F1, NASCAR, etc, et al. (assuming there isnt a random F1 or NASCAR race on something like CNBC, which I havent checked if I have).

So, I'm fine really. What would NBC Gold even give me? Live practice and etc? Can't say I'm that bothered. Even if it was free.

I think my previous Charter TV portion of the bill was in the 70s, and I didn't have HBO or anything that interesting.
    YouTube TV includes CNBC so you'll be set no matter what it ends up being on. I've just started with YouTube TV recently myself and liking it so far.
    Dustin Kessinger

Per Adam Stern, starts at $50 for this month moves to $55 next month.

Early bird $49.99. Regular price $54.99. USA only. Feb 7, 2019 through Jan 31, 2020. Auto-renews prior to start of next season.

No way I'm paying that much to watch boring practices.

Quote Originally Posted by TimmyZ1 View Post
    Per Adam Stern, starts at $50 for this month moves to $55 next month.
    $50 for the year, is that correct?

edit: I have just signed up for it and it is indeed for the year. Seems reasonable to me.

Insider
    $50 is a good enough price to get my money.

We live in a world in which a pack of smokes costs $7-10. A six-pack of decent beer costs $6-10. A cup of coffee at a convenience store costs $2. That's all stuff that people rip through daily, or at least on weekend days.

Asking $50 for an ENTIRE SEASON of professionally produced IndyCar on-track action and shoulder programming, plus on-demand race replays available right after the race, seems like a damn solid deal to me.

The May 18th "qualifier" is puzzling to me. I wonder what that entails. It's the day of the Preakness, correct? Could it possibly only be on a paid streaming service? If that is the only way to watch Indy 500 qualifying that day, then this price is worth it. I think i'll risk spending the extra $5 and wait until I see what is actually available on NBC/NBCSN vs NBC Gold.
    "You just don't know what Indy means."
    -Al Unser Jr.