Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Discuss NBC Gold

Quote Originally Posted by Bobcat00 View Post
    Early bird $49.99. Regular price $54.99. USA only. Feb 7, 2019 through Jan 31, 2020. Auto-renews prior to start of next season.

No way I'm paying that much to watch boring practices.
    As predicted. And "boring practices" is actually fair. This is for the most die-hard of die-hards, the "super fan". It is very possible to follow the sport very closely w/o spending the $50, and, and this is the point, NBC is monetizing left overs. WHATEVER it makes is pure extra profit. No one at NBC HQ said, "hey, and we can make $30,000 from the NBC Gold rights" when figuring what to bid for the package.

Serious question, what %age of the entire subscriber base will be posters here? My guess is 15%.

Quote Originally Posted by F1 and IndyCar View Post
    The May 18th "qualifier" is puzzling to me. I wonder what that entails. It's the day of the Preakness, correct? Could it possibly only be on a paid streaming service? If that is the only way to watch Indy 500 qualifying that day, then this price is worth it. I think i'll risk spending the extra $5 and wait until I see what is actually available on NBC/NBCSN vs NBC Gold.
    My understanding from the press conference last month that how Indy 500 weekend quals will be split up is in the air. Some of it will be on NBCSN, some on NBC, and some on Gold. Also other tidbits falling. All practices will have some type of booth crew and they will be professionally broadcast which I guess means no static cameras. Everything free on YT is gone. $50 for the season to me is dirt cheap, but I know its not the same for everyone.
    I'd rather have 10% of the world interested in the ICS than 50% of US that NASCAR currently has

Quote Originally Posted by pk500 View Post
    We live in a world in which a pack of smokes costs $7-10. A six-pack of decent beer costs $6-10. A cup of coffee at a convenience store costs $2. That's all stuff that people rip through daily, or at least on weekend days.

Asking $50 for an ENTIRE SEASON of professionally produced IndyCar on-track action and shoulder programming, plus on-demand race replays available right after the race, seems like a damn solid deal to me.
    I don't smoke, don't drink beer, and don't drink coffee. So those cost comparisons are meaningless to me.

The "ENTIRE SEASON", not counting the Indy 500, is 16 races. Figure 4 hours of practice and qualifying per race, so the "ENTIRE SEASON" of live programming is 64 hours. Meh.

I'd pay $20 a season max.
    Last edited by Bobcat00; 02-07-2019 at 11:23 AM. Reason: Counting detroit as two races

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by pk500 View Post
    We live in a world in which a pack of smokes costs $7-10. A six-pack of decent beer costs $6-10. A cup of coffee at a convenience store costs $2. That's all stuff that people rip through daily, or at least on weekend days.

Asking $50 for an ENTIRE SEASON of professionally produced IndyCar on-track action and shoulder programming, plus on-demand race replays available right after the race, seems like a damn solid deal to me.
    That's what, roughly $.25 a day for the season, not counting pre-season tests?

I don't smoke, don't drink beer, and don't drink coffee. So those cost comparisons are meaningless to me.

The "ENTIRE SEASON", not counting the Indy 500, is 16 races. Figure 4 hours of practice and qualifying per race, so the "ENTIRE SEASON" of live programming is 64 hours. Meh.

Quote Originally Posted by Nigel Red5 View Post
    That's what, roughly $.25 a day for the season, not counting pre-season tests?
    At the end of the day its personal choice. I don't agree with Bobcat but its his cash and he gets to spend it the way he wants to. Personally I think its a good value but I also agree with others on this thread that losing all the free access might hurt down the road.

The NBC/Universal privacy policy says they can share your personal information with anyone and everyone.

Less than $1 per hour. If you go to the theater, you're paying $13 for a two-hour movie, which equals $6.50 per hour.

People pay $60-80 for three-hour UFC or boxing PPVs. That's $20-27 per hour.

Even if you don't watch movies or enjoy UFC or boxing, you get my drift. This service provides value for money if you're a hardcore IndyCar fan and want to consume everything possible. Not everyone sails in that ship, but if you do, Gold seems like a good deal to me.

Might be interested if it would include old race broadcasts. Does anyone if they might be doing that?

Email from IndyCar Nation...As an INDYCAR Nation Champion member, you are receiving a $10 discount off the $54.95 price for INDYCAR Pass.
    I am blessed to have witnessed "The Greatest Spectacle In Racing" 50 times!

Quote Originally Posted by tvracefan View Post
    Might be interested if it would include old race broadcasts. Does anyone if they might be doing that?
    All of the old broadcasts that Indycar has uploaded to it's Youtube channel are still there. I would imagine that they will remain there, but I'm not sure that this package from NBC will include older races for 2019, perhaps in future years though.
    World's biggest Ryan Hunter-Reay fan!

When not discussing opinions, I try my best to only post facts, if I post something factually incorrect please correct me with a source (if possible)

Will those practice and qualifying shows be able to be played back after the fact? Like later in the week etc
    Last edited by Chris Paff; 02-07-2019 at 01:00 PM.
    "Paff has been closer to the mark than anyone will give him credit for."

Richard Kimble 11/18/2010

"Paff is far more right than any of you will EVER give him credit for.

As non politically correct and un IndyCar friendly as it is, it's the truth. "

SeeuInMay 12/29/2010

Quote Originally Posted by F1 and IndyCar View Post
    The May 18th "qualifier" is puzzling to me. I wonder what that entails. It's the day of the Preakness, correct?
    Yes, The Preakness is the third Saturday in May, this year May 18th. Last year NBCSN started its coverage of the undercard at 2:30, switching the NBC from 5:00 to 7:15 (it ran a bit long, should have been 7:00). There is also the NHL Playoffs to consider. The golf is on CBS that week. NBC has Senior Golf the week of the 500, which I believe will follow the race after starting on its Golf Channel.

It would not be wise to put Indy qualifying, the only non-race that can attract any casual fans, behind a $50 paywall.

Some interesting comments on Twitter:
    • Someone said they'd pay double that price for commercial-free LIVE races.
    • Another said they'd like to be able to watch live races without a cable TV subscription.
    • A bunch of people asking what about Canada?!?!

$49.99 price is available through March 10.

Quote Originally Posted by SamC View Post
    Yes, The Preakness is the third Saturday in May, this year May 18th. Last year NBCSN started its coverage of the undercard at 2:30, switching the NBC from 5:00 to 7:15 (it ran a bit long, should have been 7:00). There is also the NHL Playoffs to consider. The golf is on CBS that week. NBC has Senior Golf the week of the 500, which I believe will follow the race after starting on its Golf Channel.

It would not be wise to put Indy qualifying, the only non-race that can attract any casual fans, behind a $50 paywall.
    Once again, there's no firm schedule yet for how NBC will break up the broadcasting for the 500 quals per multiple reports when NBC was announced as the new broadcaster. And wasn't part of the race weekend behind a paywall anyways for ESPN? I know they didn't broadcast all 8 hours each day on ABC.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Paff View Post
    Will those practice and qualifying shows be about to be played back after the fact?
    What?

Care to try that one again?
    "I would really like to go to NASCAR. I really enjoy NASCAR and if I could be there in a couple of years that's where I'd want to be." - Jeff Gordon (after testing a Formula Super Vee)

I get that anytime you have to pay for something that was once free sucks but I also get that Indycar isnt exactly in a position to give anything away. If this helps create a better relationship with NBC then I'm ok with it.

I'll be signing up. To me, that $50 once a year cost to totally worth it. Other people may not see the value in it and that's fine. As an Indycar content consumer, I'll gladly sign up to get as much Indycar as they'll sell me.

Quote Originally Posted by TimmyZ1 View Post
    Once again, there's no firm schedule yet for how NBC will break up the broadcasting for the 500 quals per multiple reports when NBC was announced as the new broadcaster. And wasn't part of the race weekend behind a paywall anyways for ESPN? I know they didn't broadcast all 8 hours each day on ABC.
    There have been aspects of qualifying the last few seasons that we not on ABC, but were available on ESPN3.com, which required a cable subscription to ESPN. Like those portions of qualifying will be on Gold this season.

$50 is an easy yes for me, and I'm not exactly flush with cash.

That's the cost of the average dinner for a family of 4.

4 movie tickets with popcorn and drinks = way more than $50.
    "The track will choose who's going to win."

Tony Kanaan

Couple of questions here.
    1. can I watch the races on this? I don't watch live anyhow so that I can fast forward through commercials. Plus the races that I attend, I like to rewatch when I get home. Commercial free would be nice.
    2. I work during the day and cant watch practice during that time, can I go back and watch it that evening?

Sorry I'm very behind on times when it comes to technology. Looking to get rid of my dish. This might put me over the edge to stream everything.

Just signed up. I think it is a resaonable fee.

767, according to what I read you will be able to watch same day replay of races and Indy Lights races. All practices and qualifying will have NBC on air talent.

Signed and delivered. Looking forward to it.
    "He went into a tire barrier, which is certainly the nicest of all the barriers." -Bobby Unser, Denver '90

I haven't seen anywhere about the nbc sports gold app being available on console apps. I only watch streaming onto TVs via my PS4 (and would watch all the Youtube only indycar sessions this way), and would not pay for indycar pass without this capability. Watching on a tablet/phone isn't going to cut it

Quote Originally Posted by gavv View Post
    I haven't seen anywhere about the nbc sports gold app being available on console apps. I only watch streaming onto TVs via my PS4 (and would watch all the Youtube only indycar sessions this way), and would not pay for indycar pass without this capability. Watching on a tablet/phone isn't going to cut it
    I'm hoping that NBCSports Gold would be made available on the Sony SmartTV. If not, I'll splurge for an Amazon Fire TV Stick ($39).
    All Roads Lead to Indy...

I would recommend get a Fire tv stick. I have the 4k version and just love it!!!

https://motorsports.nbcsports.com/20...c-sports-gold/
    It will have old races too��. I am definitely going to get it.

Regarding watching races live: "All INDYCAR Series races will be televised live on either NBC or NBCSN, and streamed live via authentication on NBCSports.com and the NBC Sports app." So you don't need Gold to watch the races live. In fact, Gold will not show the races live.

So I think it's:

• Practice/Qual
      • TV/NBCsports.com/app: Some live or delayed, others not broadcast
      • Gold: All live

• Races
      • TV/NBCSports.com/app: All live
      • Gold: NOT live, only on-demand after race

IndyCar on NBCVerified account @IndyCaronNBCFollowFollow
    @IndyCaronNBC

More

Replying to @Speedtown4 @Eric_RaceReview
    While all qualifying will be live on NBC Sports Gold, a selection will also be available on-air.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tvracefan View Post
    I would recommend get a Fire tv stick. I have the 4k version and just love it!!!
    We just bought my son a Fire TV with it built in. It's pretty slick and best part is I was able to turn in another rental DVR box.