Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Discuss NBC Gold

My main interest in practice is obviously Indy. Wondering if daily practice for the 500 will be available on IMS website, or only NBC Gold?
    KEEP POUNDIN' THE ROCK

Blog Entries
    As big a IndyCar fan I have some real mixed emotions about this paywall. As one guy said on the IndCar site they had 265 viewers on YouTube when it was free.

Quote Originally Posted by Pole Day View Post
    As big a IndyCar fan I have some real mixed emotions about this paywall. As one guy said on the IndCar site they had 265 viewers on YouTube when it was free.
    Depends on the session. In reality, nobody watched practice when it was free. Qualifying got a bit more. Really just the Alonso stuff got massive numbers. I think it's a shame that the diehards are basically the ones who will be made to pay. I'm on the fence. I've been so busy the last few years I actually rarely get to watch qualifying live.
    "If your car was a dog, then you had to figure it out and test your own limits. And we didn't go to a wind tunnel – we did it in the first turn at Indianapolis."

While i often have the practice stream up and running, I am often not actively watching. I just have a ear pointed that direction.

I am on the fence from a value point right now. Same day replays of all indy 500 practice sessions will pull me in.

Blog Entries
    To make it worth the $$ to me, it has to give me all possible options to watch a race in a "one stop shopping" scenario..... I understand I can watch the races live in other ways but, as a "cable cutter", I would prefer a "one stop" portal for everything Indycar (and that includes live races on all of my devices so I can watch live wherever I happen to be without much additional thought). Frankly, $50 for a season is cheap enough for a cable cutter and I could bear a higher price IF I get the ability to view the live broadcasts of races without having to go to other apps etc.

I subscribed. Didn't hesitate about doing it.
    "Any time that I can be out at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway, you're going to see a smile on my face." - Dan Wheldon

"It's crazy how the Indianapolis Motor Speedway can make you so emotional. I went from the highest of highs to the lowest of lows in less than 24 hours." - Alex Tagliani

Quote Originally Posted by Pole Day View Post
    As one guy said on the IndCar site they had 265 viewers on YouTube when it was free.
    That number's low by an order of magnitude or two.

My interest is live broadcasts of IndyCar events: Practices, qualifications, and races.

Practices are BORING. Basically nothing happens. The value of practices is just slightly above zero.

Qualifications are more interesting. Shoot-out qualifying is a little bit difficult to follow, because you mainly have to focus on the timing line to see what times everyone is posting. So you're not really watching the whole track. You can probably do just as well with the free radio broadcast and the free online timing and scoring. So the added value of NBC Gold for qualifying is small.

Races aren't broadcast live, so the added value of NBC Gold is zero.

So I don't see much of a benefit to NBC Gold. Certainly not $55 per year.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobcat00 View Post
    Qualifications are more interesting. Shoot-out qualifying is a little bit difficult to follow, because you mainly have to focus on the timing line to see what times everyone is posting. So you're not really watching the whole track. You can probably do just as well with the free radio broadcast...
    I'll cherry-pick this one point because I often find the Fast-Six qualifying more interesting than some of the road races. Qualifying on the Gold Pass would be a selling point to me. The free radio qualifying broadcast is about worth what you pay for it because they seem to babble on endlessly with very little connection with what is happening on the track.

The radio guys do a great job on the races, but qualifying coverage needs a major revamp.
    "George Bignotti's Sinmast Wildcat (Designed by Bob Riley); delicately built, carefully prepared and boldly driven by Gordon Johncock." -- Keith Jackson

illegal user
    Blog Entries
    What time will races air on race day for gold? St Pete starts at 1 for example...
    No signature required

Quote Originally Posted by Chris R View Post
    To make it worth the $$ to me, it has to give me all possible options to watch a race in a "one stop shopping" scenario..... I understand I can watch the races live in other ways but, as a "cable cutter", I would prefer a "one stop" portal for everything Indycar (and that includes live races on all of my devices so I can watch live wherever I happen to be without much additional thought). Frankly, $50 for a season is cheap enough for a cable cutter and I could bear a higher price IF I get the ability to view the live broadcasts of races without having to go to other apps etc.
    On Roku, Gold is integrated with the NBCsn app so in a way it's a one stop shop for some cord cutters. I'll probably continue to watch NBC and NBCsn on YouTube TV, but it's not like I'll be forced to switch devices to watch one or the other.

Quote Originally Posted by Automotive View Post
    What time will races air on race day for gold? St Pete starts at 1 for example...
    Later the same day.

illegal user
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by gavv View Post
    I haven't seen anywhere about the nbc sports gold app being available on console apps. I only watch streaming onto TVs via my PS4 (and would watch all the Youtube only indycar sessions this way), and would not pay for indycar pass without this capability. Watching on a tablet/phone isn't going to cut it
    I hook my laptop via HDMI to my largish screen tv.

It worked GREAT and crystal clear for the Bathurst 12 hour, with sound coming through the largish screen tv as well.

So it will work just like a tv via computer.

illegal user
    Blog Entries
    Later the same day.
    I understand that. It is what it says in the sales pitch. What T I M E, meaning in the clock of 24 hours that we use, what T I ME are the races available to watch. And being more specific, what is the EARLIEST time the race will be available?

example 1, 1:00 start races will be available at...xxxxx
    example 2, races will air xxxx minutes after checkered flag falls (accounts for rain or race delays)
    example 3, races will air xxxx minutes after checkered flag falls, and available for xxxx days, or infinity afterward.

That is what I am asking.
    I

I just ordered it today. I thought it would be worth it to try it for a year at least.

I understand that. It is what it says in the sales pitch. What T I M E, meaning in the clock of 24 hours that we use, what T I ME are the races available to watch. And being more specific, what is the EARLIEST time the race will be available?

example 1, 1:00 start races will be available at...xxxxx
    example 2, races will air xxxx minutes after checkered flag falls (accounts for rain or race delays)
    example 3, races will air xxxx minutes after checkered flag falls, and available for xxxx days, or infinity afterward.

I
    Why the snarky reply?

If this information is available, then it is probably going to be on the Internet.

So why don’t you take some T I M E to Google it to see what you can find out?

illegal user
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken-Paul View Post
    Why the snarky reply?

If this information is available, then it is probably going to be on the Internet.

So why don’t you take some T I M E to Google it to see what you can find out?
    Cautions breed cautions.

Google search yields no information.

Blog Entries
    I dont have a problem paying for it

I even like the idea of simply having it to support The Race and the series even if I dont use it all that much after the month of May

But first thing it did when I went to purchase was try and get me to turn on the location enabling or whatever and I hate that so I didn’t do it

I’ll probaby cave and end up doing it

But they dont need to know where I am all the time
    "I wasn't going to finish 2nd today...2nd was not in the cards...I was either going to win or i was not going to finish at all..." Eddie Cheever-Victory Lane,Indianapolis Motor Speedway 1998

What T I M E, meaning in the clock of 24 hours that we use, what T I ME are the races available to watch. And being more specific, what is the EARLIEST time the race will be available?
    Neither NBC nor IndyCar have released that information. They probably don't know. It will probably be "when the video is ready" and vary from race to race.

I’ve bought it
    Memories of Indy 2012:
    ZUL8TR: "I'm sorry Joel, are we keeping you?"

abc -
    Your home for Indycar on Network TV, where race commentary is delivered as if reading the lunch menu in a rest home. God bless you Marty, Eddy, and Scott, there are few as soporific as you.

illegal user
    Blog Entries
    Neither NBC nor IndyCar have released that information. They probably don't know. It will probably be "when the video is ready" and vary from race to race.
    Yea, I didn't find any information either. We will see, I guess, in the near future....whenever that is...
    Y

Race replays available on-demand with NBC Gold. It will also be available on my DVR after I record it lol. I would be more interested if there was a library of past years available on-demand. I would also like for NBC Gold to have a free weekend (St Pete) so everyone can evaluate before purchasing. Similar to what the Directv does with the NFL Sunday Ticket.

illegal user
    Blog Entries
    The only races that will be free to watch will be OTA. Unfortunately for me and the missus, we will be AT most of these races!

Therefore, we can record these and watch later....or can we, without some device to record them on?

So this package makes sense to us for sure.

Again, I checked the math, we are saving

$180 per month for cable...$2160 per year which we stopped as of October 2018, don't miss it.
    $51 per month for internet....$612 per year
    Difference in MY POCKET for races, subscriptons, gasoline, etc.... +$1,548.00 WOW!
    Gold Subscription - $50

Windfall $1,498.00

Cheers

The only races that will be free to watch will be OTA. Unfortunately for me and the missus, we will be AT most of these races!

Therefore, we can record these and watch later....or can we, without some device to record them on?

So this package makes sense to us for sure.

Again, I checked the math, we are saving

$180 per month for cable...$2160 per year which we stopped as of October 2018, don't miss it.
    $51 per month for internet....$612 per year
    Difference in MY POCKET for races, subscriptons, gasoline, etc.... +$1,548.00 WOW!
    Gold Subscription - $50

Windfall $1,498.00

Cheers
    Remember that youtube TV that includes NBCSN (I don't know what Hulu offers) is $20 per month so subtracting $240 per year, you would still have a $1,258 windfall.
    Sitting president of the "Sato Forever Faithful Fanclub"

illegal user
    Blog Entries
    mr muffins, can I watch utube tv with nbcsn without cable subscription? I am unfamiliar with it, but generally this stuff always requires a cable subscription to reach the broadcasts.

In simple terms, if I pay for utubetv, I can watch ALL nbcsn programming without cable authentication? That would be cool.

mr muffins, can I watch utube tv with nbcsn without cable subscription? I am unfamiliar with it, but generally this stuff always requires a cable subscription to reach the broadcasts.

In simple terms, if I pay for utubetv, I can watch ALL nbcsn programming without cable authentication? That would be cool.
    Forgive a error I made. The Youtube TV is $40 per month instead of $20 but that gives you the same channels a cable subscription does. (The picture below shows some of the several channels youtube TV gives you.)

No one seems to mention the data cap Xfinity & AT&T have in place. You start streaming hours of racing & other HD content maybe even a little 4K, that data goes quick. Xfinity charges an extra $50.00 for the unlimited plan. Thankfully WOW doesn’t cap it’s customers (yet). I routinely exceed 1TB of data. To each is own. Glad it works for some but for me, at least for now I will keep the cord. I have tried free trials of streaming services like YouTube tv, I didn’t enjoy the live sports experiene seemed to always have a lag. I also enjoy the Discovery channels & others that are not available. Hopefully soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Boweimer View Post
    No one seems to mention the data cap Xfinity & AT&T have in place. You start streaming hours of racing & other HD content maybe even a little 4K, that data goes quick. Xfinity charges an extra $50.00 for the unlimited plan. Thankfully WOW doesn’t cap it’s customers (yet). I routinely exceed 1TB of data. To each is own. Glad it works for some but for me, at least for now I will keep the cord. I have tried free trials of streaming services like YouTube tv, I didn’t enjoy the live sports experience. Always seemed to have a slight lag.
    There are several combinations that, depending on peoples wants, can give them an optimum solution for a good price point. It just requires some research.

illegal user
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Boweimer View Post
    No one seems to mention the data cap Xfinity & AT&T have in place.
    Boweimer, good points!!!! You made me do some research.

For example, we watched the Daytona 24 hour race in Januray on the computer, probably 15 to 18 hours of streaming.

My usage for all of January, via Comcrap, was 56GB on a 1024 GB limit, so we are good and far from the limit. 4 weekends of streaming the races and such we should be WAY under our data cap.

Thank you for pointing this out....

Assuming a HD video feed is 3GB/Hour, on my AT&T plan I would have to watch 11 hours of HD video per day to hit the 1024GB cap. I'm not close to that yet.