Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 910111213141516171819

Thread: Colts Week One

Colts dumped their offensive line coach? That’s a surprise. Has to be style because his results were great.
    Center Grove Trojans
    2008 5A Football State Champs
    2015 6A Football State Champs
    2011 Track State Champs

Center Grove Jr. Trojans
    2014, 2015 & 2017 IEFA State Champs

Insider
    Quote Originally Posted by Truth Detector View Post
    Colts dumped their offensive line coach? That’s a surprise. Has to be style because his results were great.
    Certainly seemed like a strength. Weird decision if it isn't a personality issue.
    Eff LBD!

Wasn't he a Josh McDaniels hire?

Blog Entries
    Yes.

https://sports.yahoo.com/m/8b41d0af-...sive-line.html

DeGuglielmo was originally hired by Josh McDaniels. The parting is reportedly as amicable as possible. Garafolo reports Reich is actually recommending DeGuglielmo to other coaches.
    It's a Hoosier thing, you wouldn't understand...

Wasn't he a Josh McDaniels hire?

It's a results based league, and the OC coach provided results. There has to be more here, then Reich wanting his own guy.
    "Any time that I can be out at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway, you're going to see a smile on my face." - Dan Wheldon

"It's crazy how the Indianapolis Motor Speedway can make you so emotional. I went from the highest of highs to the lowest of lows in less than 24 hours." - Alex Tagliani

Given that Good responded to a Stephen Holder tweet, I guess we can call this true, at least from Denzelle Good's perspective. I respect Reich for making this decision despite the success of the line.
    I don't have a profile because I think profiling is wrong.

Luck is going to the pro bowl.

...and proud of it. comfortably numb's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Luck is going to the pro bowl.
    Shouldn't he learn from college players and skip a meaningless game in order to protect his future value???
    "The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made."
    ~~Groucho Marx

By all means, marry. If you get a good wife, you'll become happy; if you get a bad one, you'll become a philosopher. ~~ Socrates

I was especially impressed with the way Mahomes shut down our offense.
    I didn't say the Mahomes is what beat the Colts. Just that his highlights did a job on my pre-game confidence. The Colts had several opportunities against K.C. on Saturday they just didn't capitalize on them.

"Ooh woo, I'm a Rebel just for kicks, now
    I been feeling it since 1966, now..."

Quote Originally Posted by mattbholland View Post
    What I meant was that Ballard stated going into this season he didn’t expect us to be playoff ready until 2019. “We’re in year 2 of a 3 year rebuild” is what he stated.
    I'm aware he said that but I can't believe anyone bought into that to begin with. Last year was a write-off because we didn't have Luck. I've never heard of the need for a "rebuild" on a team that was 8-8, has one of the best QBs in the league, has one of the greatest kickers in NFL history and a wide receiver who had been to the Pro-Bowl for 4 years in a row. To me, a "rebuild" is what you do when you lose your key players either through retirement, injury or free agency. Our key players were still there.

Having said that, obviously there were changes that needed to be made and most of those made were for the better. Team morale was low, Pagano had become ineffective, the offensive line was subpar, and the front office was a mess. So I certainly am willing to give credit to Ballard for fixing those problems. I just think the idea of a "rebuild" when you have Luck, Hilton and Vinatieri already in place.

As for the refs, I already said they’re not the reason the Colts lost, but there were a TON of missed calls. Funny how KC was one of the most penalized teams in the NFL all season and had very few go against them today. And there were several other obvious PIs that were missed
    It wouldn't be a Colts playoff loss without fans saying the refs didn't call enough PI. It's like clockwork. That's been said about every playoff loss going back 20 years.

and a holding call that was completely bogus...Mack had a big gain called back bc of a “holding” call that was after the play went by....but I digress.
    I had forgotten about that call. I agree that one was bogus.

As for Ballard, he has stated all along he wasn’t going to be a big spender in free agency. Especially this past off-season when Luck was an unknown commodity.
    Yes, but I'm not calling for him to be a big spender.....just spend some of it. I think having a 2nd quality WR could have helped us be more competitive this season. I'm not guaranteeing we could have beaten the Chiefs, but I think it would have been less lopsided. I'm pretty confident that we could have won our division at the very least.

You see what KC has? Ballard helped build that. Mostly through the draft.
    That's stretching it a bit. While he was certainly involved when they drafted Kelce and Tyreek, I think it's impossible to say Ballard was the reason those guys were drafted. He might have voiced support (we'll probably never know), but he wasn't GM. He certainly had nothing to do with Mahomes or Watkins. I'm pretty sure he never would have paid $16 million/year for Watkins on the FA market like KC did.

I do think he’ll swing a little hard given the ungodly amount of cap space we have, and the fact the team came along faster than expected.
    With a healthy Andrew Luck, why was 10-6 not an expectation? He last played in 2016, was nowhere near healthy and we still went 8-8. 2 more wins with all these improvements wasn't a huge shock.

But do you want a repeat of 2015 when Grigson went nuts in free agency?? I sure don’t.
    No one does. Wouldn't the Patriots be the model to follow? They're going to their 8th AFC Championship game in a row this weekend. They aren't huge spenders in FA, but they don't necessarily A good mix of drafting well and free agent spending has been proven to work. Ballard has proven himself with the drafting part this year. I'm very hopeful that he'll finally get out the checkbook during the offseason.

Trust the binder as they say on the Colts Reddit page.
    I have no idea what that means.

Plays well with Others
    Quote Originally Posted by jackinbox View Post
    I'm aware he said that but I can't believe anyone bought into that to begin with. Last year was a write-off because we didn't have Luck. I've never heard of the need for a "rebuild" on a team that was 8-8, has one of the best QBs in the league, has one of the greatest kickers in NFL history and a wide receiver who had been to the Pro-Bowl for 4 years in a row. To me, a "rebuild" is what you do when you lose your key players either through retirement, injury or free agency. Our key players were still there.

Having said that, obviously there were changes that needed to be made and most of those made were for the better. Team morale was low, Pagano had become ineffective, the offensive line was subpar, and the front office was a mess. So I certainly am willing to give credit to Ballard for fixing those problems. I just think the idea of a "rebuild" when you have Luck, Hilton and Vinatieri already in place.

It wouldn't be a Colts playoff loss without fans saying the refs didn't call enough PI. It's like clockwork. That's been said about every playoff loss going back 20 years.

I had forgotten about that call. I agree that one was bogus.

Yes, but I'm not calling for him to be a big spender.....just spend some of it. I think having a 2nd quality WR could have helped us be more competitive this season. I'm not guaranteeing we could have beaten the Chiefs, but I think it would have been less lopsided. I'm pretty confident that we could have won our division at the very least.

That's stretching it a bit. While he was certainly involved when they drafted Kelce and Tyreek, I think it's impossible to say Ballard was the reason those guys were drafted. He might have voiced support (we'll probably never know), but he wasn't GM. He certainly had nothing to do with Mahomes or Watkins. I'm pretty sure he never would have paid $16 million/year for Watkins on the FA market like KC did.

With a healthy Andrew Luck, why was 10-6 not an expectation? He last played in 2016, was nowhere near healthy and we still went 8-8. 2 more wins with all these improvements wasn't a huge shock.

No one does. Wouldn't the Patriots be the model to follow? They're going to their 8th AFC Championship game in a row this weekend. They aren't huge spenders in FA, but they don't necessarily A good mix of drafting well and free agent spending has been proven to work. Ballard has proven himself with the drafting part this year. I'm very hopeful that he'll finally get out the checkbook during the offseason.

I have no idea what that means.
    Now that Ballard has spoken and clarified that in essence he won’t be pursuing guys like Antonio Brown....I can see his model a little more clearly heading into this off-season. He’s going to continue to build through the draft, grab decent mid-level FAs and kind of model it after the Pats do things. Find value, gems in later rounds, don’t give up draft picks (I think they have 9 in this coming draft), and continue to build it that way. I still think he might spend a little on a few higher profile guys but only a few. He likes the core of the team and knows if they progress they’ll have to be paid in a few years. Guys like Kenny Moore, Pierre Desir, Quenten Nelson, Darius Leonard, Antonio Walker, etc.
    And back to KC, if you think he wasn’t scouting Mahomes and providing input there before he left, you’re crazy. He had Dorsey’s ear and while he was gone by the time Mahomes was drafted, I’m sure he had done his homework and made recommendations. Kelce and Hill were his big scores though, and he was pretty trusted by all accounts and his input was taken very seriously, as it was during his time in Chicago. Not trying to argue, glad the Colts have him.

Where the Colts need the most help is at WR, DL (pass rush) and less so at CB and SS/FS (injury prone guys there)...maybe another lineman as Castanzo isn’t getting younger and Kelly is also injury prone, maybe a depth guy.

And “trust the binder” is a reference to Ballard’s introductory press conference where he said he has a master binder with all his key plans for drafting and player acquisition. It has become a “thing” on Reddit.....
    "We named the dog Indiana"

Insider
    There is a Chuck Pagano sighting! He's the head coach of one of the teams in the NFLPA Collegiate Bowl.