Page 3 of 36 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Wickens Updates v2.0

If there is anything positive out of this it is:
    He's alive.
    RHR, Hinch, Sato are all OK or will be OK and Dixie missed getting into it.

Wishing full recovery and good feelings for Robert. He is an amazing driver.

Quote Originally Posted by shakespeare View Post
    I think the report was that Robert was awake and alert when they got him to the infield care center. What is not clear is if he was awake and alert when the safety team arrived to his car immediately after the wreck.
    Why do you need to know this?

I think the bottom line is that it sounds like (and I hope I'm not proven wrong) that while he'll need time to mend - Wickens will be okay. The DW12 is a beast. It's taken some hard licks and kept drivers alive.
    Real drivers don't need fenders!

No question. I'm concerned still about the spinal injury, hopefully it's "just" a fracture. He'll be out of commission I'm sure through the winter.
    "If your car was a dog, then you had to figure it out and test your own limits. And we didn't go to a wind tunnel – we did it in the first turn at Indianapolis."

Quote Originally Posted by Grizzlor View Post
    No question. I'm concerned still about the spinal injury, hopefully it's "just" a fracture. He'll be out of commission I'm sure through the winter.
    Agreed. Would be nice to hear an update - but as they say - he's in the best hands possible. Wishing for a speedy recovery. I've really enjoyed watching him run this year.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Boweimer View Post
    Why do you need to know this?
    I don’t. Merely offering a possible explanation as to why the report about Wickens took so long.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Pelican Joe View Post
    Agreed. Would be nice to hear an update - but as they say - he's in the best hands possible. Wishing for a speedy recovery. I've really enjoyed watching him run this year.
    Update on Fox News...evidently spinal injury along with legs and arm, but, he is expected to achieve total recovery...

Quote Originally Posted by shakespeare View Post
    I don’t. Merely offering a possible explanation as to why the report about Wickens took so long.
    Got ya.... tx for honest answer.

I'm glad that he's alive and I wish him a full recovery ASAP
    World's biggest Ryan Hunter-Reay fan!

When not discussing opinions, I try my best to only post facts, if I post something factually incorrect please correct me with a source (if possible)

I too am glad. I know the crash has been analyzed to death, but I wanted to share how I came across it.

I was with my wife's family at their vacation house and had just gotten back from the pool and had realized I missed the start of the race. I brought up the NBC Sports App on my phone and they were already in the Red Flag and were only showing the replay from on-board RHR's car. This made me fear the worst. Then they showed the replay from on-board Dixon's car where you can see that the safety cell is intact when it comes off the fence, that made me feel a little better. Then I went on youtube and found a video and I saw how the car stayed upright the whole time and "dissipated a lot of energy" as they used to put it. It actually reminded me most of:

1. Pablo Perez's 2007 Homestead Indy Lights crash
    2. Dario's 2013 Houston Crash (very different circumstances but end result very similar-car up in the fence, spinning and tearing it up)
    3. Ryan Briscoe's 2005 Chicagoland crash (the car came right back down from the fence but the initial impact was very similar)

It looks like the result of this crash in terms of injury is very similar to those three crashes (which involved three different chassis)

Wickens was fortunate that the car went up into the fence head on, and thus his head never got near a post. The replay was NEVER shown at the track, even though NBCSN coverage showed it several times in the immediate aftermath. Frankly, when I began to hear about the safety team taking their time removing him, I figured he was alive and alert, but probably was bashed up. The wireless coverage crapped out for like 15 minutes due to people thrashing to get on-line with their phones. When it finally freed up, I found a replay on Twitter, and my first observation was, well, that didn't kill him. It was bad, don't get me wrong, but I was actually relieved at the replay, even though I assume many in the crowd were still in the dark. The chatter on this forum, of course, was completely ridiculous, and I couldn't even follow/read it. One last thing, I wish to commend Scott Dixon, because in addition to being the best in the biz, he masterfully avoided the spinning Wickens hulk that was likely barely visible to him.

Quote Originally Posted by hdolan View Post
    Update on Fox News...evidently spinal injury along with legs and arm, but, he is expected to achieve total recovery...
    Great news! Obviously, not that he was injured - but the whole total recovery thing. That was a nasty crash. There was some luck involved - but that car did what it was supposed to do. It kept him alive and relatively intact and my guess is that when they grid up for the first time in 2019 - he'll be out there!!

Blog Entries
    The total recovery expected is great news. I was concerned if paralysis was a possibility they way it was referred to as spinal injury. Still, I think with these type of injuries, I'm hesitant to say at this time how lucky he is, or glad to hear he'll be ok. Granted, it could of been a lot worse, but as someone who had multiple broken bones, it's a long while before he'll be back to 100%.
    Last edited by BADGER; 08-20-2018 at 05:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by drdisque View Post
    It actually reminded me most of:

2. Dario's 2013 Houston Crash (very different circumstances but end result very similar-car up in the fence, spinning and tearing it up)
    3. Ryan Briscoe's 2005 Chicagoland crash (the car came right back down from the fence but the initial impact was very similar)
    4. Kenny Brack Texas

5. Davey Hamilton 2001 Texas
    "Paff has been closer to the mark than anyone will give him credit for."

Richard Kimble 11/18/2010

"Paff is far more right than any of you will EVER give him credit for.

As non politically correct and un IndyCar friendly as it is, it's the truth. "

SeeuInMay 12/29/2010

Quote Originally Posted by trevor83 View Post
    4. Kenny Brack Texas
    Conway at Indy.
    Get your head out of your past!!!

doitagain's adopted son aaron5572's Avatar
    I'd imagine he's hooked up to some sort of ventilator, apparently that's common with bruised lungs.
    The Original Fan of Kimi "The Iceman" Raikkonen 2007 World Driving Champion: 21 Wins---102 Podiums---18 Pole Positions---43 Fastest Laps ---1 Gorilla Suit

Quote Originally Posted by drdisque View Post
    I too am glad. I know the crash has been analyzed to death, but I wanted to share how I came across it.

I was with my wife's family at their vacation house and had just gotten back from the pool and had realized I missed the start of the race. I brought up the NBC Sports App on my phone and they were already in the Red Flag and were only showing the replay from on-board RHR's car. This made me fear the worst. Then they showed the replay from on-board Dixon's car where you can see that the safety cell is intact when it comes off the fence, that made me feel a little better. Then I went on youtube and found a video and I saw how the car stayed upright the whole time and "dissipated a lot of energy" as they used to put it. It actually reminded me most of:

It looks like the result of this crash in terms of injury is very similar to those three crashes (which involved three different chassis)
    Quote Originally Posted by trevor83 View Post
    4. Kenny Brack Texas
    Quote Originally Posted by Grinder-Tank View Post
    Conway at Indy.
    Aleshin at Fontana

... --- ...
    Briscoe at Chicagoland
    ...---...

Dirt biker/carp hunter Stick500's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Indy1980 View Post
    I hate to complain......but, was I the only person who felt IndyCar fans in the stands and watching by television were not given the "awake and alert" word in a timely manner?
    I was watching from my living room with others, we all sat on the edge of our seats, waiting for some type of communication. When there was complete silence, we all assumed the worse.
    I didn't expect details, but I did expect "awake and alert" if they knew this immediately.

Get Well Soon Robbie Wikens!!!!
    I second this. IndyCar should have gotten the word out at the very least "awake and alert" as soon as they knew that. Absolutely ridiculous to leave the TV audience and the crowd at the track waiting for so long. He obviously wasn't unconscious as there is no mention of a concussion.

I've been watching motorsports in person and on TV for 5 decades and when we get no word for that long it usually means the driver is dead or has a serious head injury. No excuse for how this was handled. Letting everyone know he is awake and alert ASAP is hardly trampling on any family members or friends sentiments, but quite the opposite. If things later take a turn for the worse, well, that's the nature of accidents and injuries that we all understand.

Odd that so many here think that that was an OK way to handle things to leave everyone thinking the worst for over a full hour.
    "Charging a man with murder here was like handing out speeding tickets at the Indy 500."- Capt. Willard, Apocolypse Now
    "Ain't nuthin' like [being with a woman], 'cept maybe the Indy 500."- Bunny, Platoon
    "To alcohol! The cause of- and solution to- all of life's problems."- Homer J. Simpson

Quote Originally Posted by Grinder-Tank View Post
    Conway at Indy.
    Conway's crash struck me as pretty different for a few reasons - mainly that his car had sailed airborne for a considerable distance before striking the fence and the tub ended up upside-down and even struck the fence partially inverted.

Quote Originally Posted by Stick500 View Post
    I second this. IndyCar should have gotten the word out at the very least "awake and alert" as soon as they knew that. Absolutely ridiculous to leave the TV audience and the crowd at the track waiting for so long. He obviously wasn't unconscious as there is no mention of a concussion.

I've been watching motorsports in person and on TV for 5 decades and when we get no word for that long it usually means the driver is dead or has a serious head injury. No excuse for how this was handled. Letting everyone know he is awake and alert ASAP is hardly trampling on any family members or friends sentiments, but quite the opposite. If things later take a turn for the worse, well, that's the nature of accidents and injuries that we all understand.

Odd that so many here think that that was an OK way to handle things to leave everyone thinking the worst for over a full hour.
    I'm terribly sorry that the family, the medical staff, the team, and the series did not keep you entertained with updates to a driver's serious injuries.

Honestly, it doesn't really concern us. They will tell us the status when they're good and ready to do so. They owe us nothing.

While I too was greatly concerned during the time it took to get news on Robert (and feared the worst), I will not complain.

Not only does HIPAA make things much more difficult now, I'm sure it took a great deal of time to assess Robert's condition and perform stabilization. As well, there were other drivers to assess.

I'd rather all the medical folks focus their attention on the injured.

Releasing information that could later change dramatically would be far worse...from many aspects, social and legal.
    BAN SHREDDED CHEESE! MAKE AMERICA GRATE AGAIN!

HIPPA affects only the medical personnel. The PR guy was in there and could have been quicker. There was no announcement about anyone for that time. Just come out and say, "awake and alert" (i.e., conscious) and evaluating the extent of injuries. The latter never happened at all. Bad job by the series. It has nothing to do with entertainment.

Retired curmudgeon
    Quote Originally Posted by aracefan View Post
    HIPPA affects only the medical personnel. The PR guy was in there and could have been quicker. There was no announcement about anyone for that time. Just come out and say, "awake and alert" (i.e., conscious) and evaluating the extent of injuries. The latter never happened at all. Bad job by the series. It has nothing to do with entertainment.
    Watching live on tv, I certainly assumed the worst, as the atmosphere seemed totally downbeat.
    Even when Cavin approached the cameras leaving the med center his expression was indicative of terrible news (at least that's how I perceived it) so it was good news when he actually began speaking.
    Road racing is doomed...what this country needs is a big new racetrack designed for automobiles instead of horses. C.G. Fisher

Dirt biker/carp hunter Stick500's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by aracefan View Post
    You get my point. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by lyrictenor1 View Post
    I'm terribly sorry that the family, the medical staff, the team, and the series did not keep you entertained with updates to a driver's serious injuries.

Honestly, it doesn't really concern us. They will tell us the status when they're good and ready to do so. They owe us nothing.
    You completely missed it. Leaving fans feeling a driver died for over an an hour, for absolutely no apparent reason, is a huge failure. Aren't we part of the sport, too, or just fodder to dismiss?

Quote Originally Posted by lyrictenor1 View Post
    This is just stupid, they didnt need to get into detail, a simple "driver is alive and we'll provide more details about his condition later" would be enough.
    Religion can't save. Jesus can because He loves you!

Blog Entries
    I was surprised we got good news as soon as we did.

I know someone who was a first responder to a high profile sports injury last year. They told the family of the injured player he was alright when he was in the ambulance only to call them back 20 minutes later saying he was going to die without major brain surgery. INDYCAR did a good job with this.

I hope that Robby has a full and speedy recovery.

I'd like to posit a couple of issues regarding the accident itself. I realize it was a racing accident and not deliberate. I have to wonder why Robert tried to make that move? I am going to call out a couple of possibilities. 1) Was there too little practice time and it's possible that Robert thought it was a passing spot? 2) Was the drivers' meeting comprehensive and detailed so that an inexperienced driver would be briefed on the hazards and competitors' expectations?

Retired curmudgeon
    It appears for whatever reason, the protocol has changed compared to past times.
    And that's fine, it's certainly the task of Indycar to determine how to communicate, but it was noticeably different than the past.
    I'm sure a lot of folks on here have heard "awake, alert, and being transported to Methodist" shortly after crashes at IMS...many times over.