Page 6 of 36 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Wickens Updates v2.0

Quote Originally Posted by mfranke View Post
    So what does Cavin owe us? He tried to blame the delay on getting information out due to the “backlog” of people getting x-rayed. Telling us 20 minutes earlier that Wickens was awake and awaiting x-rays (or transfer to Lehigh Valley) would have been completely appropriate. As some else said, this never would’ve happened at Indy. Can you imagine hundreds of thousands at the track and millions watching on TV wondering if someone died for an hour.
    20+ min before that, NBC reported he was awake and alert....just after they showed Mario do a fist pump
    2012 Races: St.Pete, Indianapolis and THE MILWAUKEE MILE!!!!!!
    2013 Races: Indianapolis and Indyfest 2013
    2014 Races: Popped the Wife's Indy 500 Cherry and Indyfest 2014
    2015 Race: ABC Supply Wisconsin 250
    2016 Races: 100th Running of the Indianapolis 500 and Road America!

doitagain's adopted son aaron5572's Avatar
    Since they said he suffered bruised lungs, he's likely on a ventilator of some sort and probably isn't conscious most of the time. It sounds like he'll live, it's just the back injury that's the question.
    The Original Fan of Kimi "The Iceman" Raikkonen 2007 World Driving Champion: 21 Wins---102 Podiums---18 Pole Positions---43 Fastest Laps ---1 Gorilla Suit

** UPDATE **

ALLENTOWN, Pennsylvania — Schmidt Peterson Motorsports driver Robert Wickens continues to be treated at Lehigh Valley Hospital - Cedar Crest following injuries sustained in the ABC Supply 500 at Pocono Raceway on Sunday, Aug. 19. An MRI was instrumental in revealing the most appropriate surgical course and Wickens is undergoing surgery Monday evening for a spinal injury.
    Wickens was involved in an incident on Lap 7 of the race when his car made contact with the car of Ryan Hunter-Reay and went airborne into the catch fence at the exit of Turn 2 on Pocono Raceway's three-turn oval. Wickens was treated at the scene and at the track's infield medical center by the AMR INDYCAR Safety Team and the INDYCAR Medical staff before he was transported by helicopter to Lehigh Valley Hospital - Cedar Crest and admitted on Sunday.
    Further updates will be provided when available.

https://www.indycar.com/News/2018/08/08-20-Wickens-medical-update
    World's biggest Ryan Hunter-Reay fan!

When not discussing opinions, I try my best to only post facts, if I post something factually incorrect please correct me with a source (if possible)

https://www.indycar.com/News/2018/08...medical-update

Here you all go.....find something else to **** and moan about now.

Everybody needs to go take a good long walk instead of pretending to know wtf you are talking about.
    "Far better it is to dare mighty things, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat" -Teddy Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by RHRfan#1 View Post
    ** UPDATE **

ALLENTOWN, Pennsylvania — Schmidt Peterson Motorsports driver Robert Wickens continues to be treated at Lehigh Valley Hospital - Cedar Crest following injuries sustained in the ABC Supply 500 at Pocono Raceway on Sunday, Aug. 19. An MRI was instrumental in revealing the most appropriate surgical course and Wickens is undergoing surgery Monday evening for a spinal injury.
    Wickens was involved in an incident on Lap 7 of the race when his car made contact with the car of Ryan Hunter-Reay and went airborne into the catch fence at the exit of Turn 2 on Pocono Raceway's three-turn oval. Wickens was treated at the scene and at the track's infield medical center by the AMR INDYCAR Safety Team and the INDYCAR Medical staff before he was transported by helicopter to Lehigh Valley Hospital - Cedar Crest and admitted on Sunday.
    Further updates will be provided when available.

https://www.indycar.com/News/2018/08/08-20-Wickens-medical-update
    Lets stop the petty bickering about what an when news should come out and say a prayer for Robert to have a safe a successful surgery tonight! Please!!!
    "If you don't do it this year, you'll be another year older when you do"

http://davidm.smugmug.com/

http://www.jacksracephotos.net/

Dirt biker/carp hunter Stick500's Avatar
    Some of you guys are trying to argue that it is somehow a big long procedure that would take away from the rescue effort to inform race control that Robert was awake and alert. Really?

In fact, I am sure race control did know within minutes that he was conscious. IndyCar and/or Curt Cavin dropped the ball. I bet any money they are hearing some flak from PT and Townsend, too. They were clearly rattled and they know there was no need for the delay.
    "Charging a man with murder here was like handing out speeding tickets at the Indy 500."- Capt. Willard, Apocolypse Now
    "Ain't nuthin' like [being with a woman], 'cept maybe the Indy 500."- Bunny, Platoon
    "To alcohol! The cause of- and solution to- all of life's problems."- Homer J. Simpson

Quote Originally Posted by Pole Day View Post
    I would think the chain of command would have to go through the family 1st and allow Indycar to make an announcement out of respect.
    I agree that the family is first owed a complete assessment of the diagnosis. However, I believe both of my examples would have been sufficiently lacking in specific details, yet providing fans with some level of understanding, such that it would have respected the family.

Quote Originally Posted by Stick500 View Post
    Some of you guys are trying to argue that it is somehow a big long procedure that would take away from the rescue effort to inform race control that Robert was awake and alert. Really?

In fact, I am sure race control did know within minutes that that in fact was they case. IndyCar and/or Curt Cavin dropped the ball. I bet any money they are hearing some flak from PT and Townsend, too. They were clearly rattled and they know there was no need for the delay.
    Maybe a lot of that time he was in the car he wasnt awake.....meaning he couldn't communicate his injuries! We dont know, and this isnt an episode of ER or Greys Anatomy....so we wont know the results in 54 more minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by Indy1980 View Post
    I am sorry you feel this way, but they do owe "us" something. As professional drivers who are entertaining on television for a profit, and have hired public relation professionals with many responsibilities, one being to keep the public informed, they need to give an update in a timely manner, and almost one hour is not acceptable.
    Notice, I didn't say the Doctors need to come out and talk to the press (Dr. Henry Bock did).
    Also, notice we were not asking for his complete medical report, only a simple "awake and alert" as they said one hour later. Otherwise, horrible rumors unfortunately will begin.
    This is one of the most ludicrous statements I've ever read.

Robert Wickens is almost certainly fighting for his life - everyone around him needs to be 100% focused on that.

At no time do your desires enter this equation.

You can be appreciative of any updates they choose to offer. You do not get to demand them.

In a flagstand somewhere in the Carolinas
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveK51 View Post
    I went to the tape this morning, and when Stan Fox crashed in 1995, ABC had an update 30 minutes later. When Greg Moore had his accident, Olvey gave a report 30 minutes later. Not sure why it takes twice as long now to say the patient will probably pull through.
    No two accidents or injuries are alike.

And Mr Wickens unlike Mr Moore wasn't dead.

If youre dead theres no chance of giving a premature and incorrect update

Live like Dave

Its concerning that they say “spinal injury” but dont say that he is able to move his arms and legs. I think what fans want to know is that he doesnt have any kind of paralysis. That they have not confirmed that is troubling.

Insider
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Unzerdog View Post
    Everybody needs to go take a good long walk instead of pretending to know wtf you are talking about.
    There are parts of this thread that are absolutely embarrassing.

Quote Originally Posted by mario View Post
    Its concerning that they say “spinal injury” but dont say that he is able to move his arms and legs. I think what fans want to know is that he doesnt have any kind of paralysis. That they have not confirmed that is troubling.
    Agreed. Hoping for the best but fearing the worst.

Quote Originally Posted by lotuspoweredbyford View Post
    There are parts of this thread that are absolutely embarrassing.
    110% right on that...
    Real drivers don't need fenders!

You know what, I'm just happy that Wickens survived and hope he gets well soon. I was so scared when I saw that crash happening yesterday and oh man... I had that same terrible feeling I had after the Las Vegas 2011 carnage... I was so happy when Cavin came with the news that Wickens survived the crash. Really, really hope Robbie Wick is going to heal completely and is going to kick some ass at St. Pete in March and gets the win he already deserved this year, that would be a great come back.
    IndyCar fan4ever.

Quote Originally Posted by mario View Post
    I agree. Hoping for the best.

Just let the surgeons do their thing tonight, and I'm sure we'll hear more in the morning.
    "If your car was a dog, then you had to figure it out and test your own limits. And we didn't go to a wind tunnel – we did it in the first turn at Indianapolis."

I don't understand the constant demand to know his condition. It's not happening just here, it's happening at Reddit, Twitter, Facebook, and Racer. Whatever Robert is going through is certainly something that is extremely consuming, exhausting, and difficult for himself, friends, and family. Since it happened, more people than you'd hope, are being selfish about needing to know updates. Some even going to the extent of saying how hard it is on themselves not knowing what's going on. That's extremely selfish!

Instead of using your time and effort demanding to know his condition, make use of that time by praying for him, sending him well wishes via social media, writing him a letter, share a story of encouragement with him, etc. Stories of encouragement can go a long ways in helping a person through a physically challenging time.

Please think about the overall picture before demanding your desire to know about someone's condition.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
    This is one of the most ludicrous statements I've ever read.

Robert Wickens is almost certainly fighting for his life - everyone around him needs to be 100% focused on that.

At no time do your desires enter this equation.

You can be appreciative of any updates they choose to offer. You do not get to demand them.
    oh, no ... they DO get to demand them. They just don't get a response they like ... so they whine like spoiled children.

UncommonSense posted a good thing about the Us and them divide ... but sometimes it is real.

How incredibly selfish does a person have to be, when a man is possibly crippled and fighting for his life .. to care more about himself than the injured party?

NOBODY OWES US ANYTHING.

Unless you sat down and hammered out an agreement with IndyCar that in return for some consideration, they would provide you with some goods or services ... NOBODY OWES YOU ANYTHING.

Look ... every one of us would have liked to know ASAP that Robert Wickens was okay ... his loved ones most of all I am sure. His friends, next. Some selfish goons watching TV and flipping between channels to skip commercials ... not so much.

I went through considerable distress there until i grabbed a hold of myself, stepped away, and got it together. i saw that bent pole and Las Vegas was Right There in my mind.

IndyCar doesn't owe me a thing. they don't even owe me televised races. Certainly not information about Any race situation ... not a thing.

if Wickens was unconscious, or they were trying to determine if he had internal injuries, or how sever they were ... the med team couldn't make a diagnosis. And even when they did, they did not OWE to me or anyone, the news about that diagnosis.

For all Any of us know, Wickens woke up about three minutes before we were told, and in three minuets they docs determined that he wasn't going to die in the next three minutes.

If you can watch a scene like we saw unfolding in real time before our eyes yesterday .. and only think of yourself ... you are a very special kind of person.

We don't know if he is crippled for life, paralyzed, whatever ... we have no idea. So ... people had better get it straight and Tell Us Now,. We want to know. They OWE us.

I bet if you told his family that you'd get slapped.

I am pretty much just hoping that Robert Wickens can have a pleasant and fulfilling life.

Quote Originally Posted by Maelochs View Post
    oh, no ... they DO get to demand them. They just don't get a response they like ... so they whine like spoiled children.

UncommonSense posted a good thing about the Us and them divide ... but sometimes it is real.

How incredibly selfish does a person have to be, when a man is possibly crippled and fighting for his life .. to care more about himself than the injured party?

NOBODY OWES US ANYTHING.

Unless you sat down and hammered out an agreement with IndyCar that in return for some consideration, they would provide you with some goods or services ... NOBODY OWES YOU ANYTHING.

Look ... every one of us would have liked to know ASAP that Robert Wickens was okay ... his loved ones most of all I am sure. His friends, next. Some selfish goons watching TV and flipping between channels to skip commercials ... not so much.

I went through considerable distress there until i grabbed a hold of myself, stepped away, and got it together. i saw that bent pole and Las Vegas was Right There in my mind.

IndyCar doesn't owe me a thing. they don't even owe me televised races. Certainly not information about Any race situation ... not a thing.

if Wickens was unconscious, or they were trying to determine if he had internal injuries, or how sever they were ... the med team couldn't make a diagnosis. And even when they did, they did not OWE to me or anyone, the news about that diagnosis.

For all Any of us know, Wickens woke up about three minutes before we were told, and in three minuets they docs determined that he wasn't going to die in the next three minutes.

If you can watch a scene like we saw unfolding in real time before our eyes yesterday .. and only think of yourself ... you are a very special kind of person.

We don't know if he is crippled for life, paralyzed, whatever ... we have no idea. So ... people had better get it straight and Tell Us Now,. We want to know. They OWE us.

I am pretty much just hoping that Robert Wickens can have a pleasant and fulfilling life.
    Extremely well said. Thank you.

When Robert had his accident yesterday, yes, it looked bad, and I figured he would probably be hurt. But I didn't get that feeling of foreboding I got when Dan Wheldon or Greg Moore died.

I paid very close attention when they showed the replays to see how the car went into the wall and fence. I didn't see any evidence that he went into the wall or fencepost head-first, so it appeared that the car took most of the impact, which I figured was a good sign; my concern then was for a cockpit intrusion like Hinch had, or that the impact would have injured his legs, neck, or back.

And I watched the actions of the safety crew closely. There didn't seem to be that intense activity one would expect from a very serious or life-threatening injury. They were simply taking their time getting him out of the car, which said to me he was probably responding in some way, but probably had injuries-which he probably communicated to them-such that they didn't want to just pull him out right away. The next thing you look for is when they pull the driver out, what happens then-does he sit up, do they have him in some sort of restraint such as a backboard, etc.? I never saw footage of that, so it must have happened during a commercial or when the broadcast was focused elsewhere. They showed the helicopter idling in wait; I figured if they didn't come out and tell them to shut down, it would be a good sign.

Somehow I felt better when I saw the car being taken away, instead of being tarped and left in place the way Dan Wheldon's car was. I figured, patience is a virtue; we will find out soon.

I also took it as a good sign when Hinch tweeted about his hand injuries, strangely enough; I knew that he and Robert are good friends and he wouldn't probably be talking about his own comparatively minor injuries if Robert's condition was very bad.

Robert Wickens is a top-notch addition to the Indy car field, and I pray he recovers fully to race and compete at the front again, just like his friend Hinch did. There's another thread trolling about his supposed lack of oval experience; well, guess what-he's a rookie. Maybe he made a rookie mistake. Plenty of oval veterans make exactly the same mistake. Doesn't matter-now's not the time, Paffster.

Get well soon, Robert!
    "Only a fool fights in a burning house."-Kang

"If you listen to fools....The Maaahhhhb Ruuuules....."-Ronnie James Dio

Quote Originally Posted by Maelochs View Post

NOBODY OWES US ANYTHING.

^^^
    The Ayn Rand of Indycar

No one had to badge the Offy.

Crapping all over threads since 2000.

Blog Entries
    As a fan of Indycar and an avid race fan in general I find it sad that we demand total updates. According to laws the family doesn't owe us any. This man could be in very serious condition and fighting for his life.

Quote Originally Posted by Pole Day View Post
    As a fan of Indycar and an avid race fan in general I find it sad that we demand total updates. According to laws the family doesn't owe us any. This man could be in very serious condition and fighting for his life.
    Or he might be doing well but doesn't need the intrusion at this point.

Either way, you're right. We will find out soon enough.

Quote Originally Posted by PPGfan View Post
    I don't understand the constant demand to know his condition.
    People should consider the possibility that it will be weeks before we know his prognosis for recovery.

Quote Originally Posted by PPGfan View Post
    I don't understand the constant demand to know his condition. It's not happening just here, it's happening at Reddit, Twitter, Facebook, and Racer.
    People want to know if he's okay. It comes from a good place. When people are nervous, they get irrational.

It's not an intentional lack of respect, disregarding of dignity, sense of entitlement towards the family. It's just concern, and genuine fear and misplaced anxiety.

Everyone wants him to be okay. Sometimes people panic. Shouting them down just leads to more shouting. Let them vent into the void if that's going to be what it is.
    "I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Can I put my feet out the window? Man, you really like Tide..."

Quote Originally Posted by Indy1980 View Post
    I am sorry you feel this way, but they do owe "us" something. As professional drivers who are entertaining on television for a profit, and have hired public relation professionals with many responsibilities, one being to keep the public informed, they need to give an update in a timely manner, and almost one hour is not acceptable.
    Notice, I didn't say the Doctors need to come out and talk to the press (Dr. Henry Bock did).
    Also, notice we were not asking for his complete medical report, only a simple "awake and alert" as they said one hour later. Otherwise, horrible rumors unfortunately will begin.
    "Awake and alert" means next to nothing in this situation.

Quote Originally Posted by uncommonsense52 View Post
    People want to know if he's okay. It comes from a good place. When people are nervous, they get irrational.

It's not an intentional lack of respect, disregarding of dignity, sense of entitlement towards the family. It's just concern, and genuine fear and misplaced anxiety.

Everyone wants him to be okay. Sometimes people panic. Shouting them down just leads to more shouting. Let them vent into the void if that's going to be what it is.
    Thank you. I will try to keep this in mind next time I panic differently than the next guy and we then dispute the right way to get upset.

I appreciate the reasoning.

Quote Originally Posted by Mearsfan53081 View Post
    20+ min before that, NBC reported he was awake and alert....just after they showed Mario do a fist pump
    No. The first on the air confirmation was Cavin. There was an unsourced tweet from Ayello that said he was awake. But nothing was ever mentioned until Cavin stepped out. My point is it is Cavin’s job to communicate effectively and he didn’t in this scenario. As soon as he was aware that Robert was awake - and the family and team knew - he should have reported it. What he said an hour into the event could’ve eased a tremendous amount of concern and grief in the stands, paddock, tv booth, and in living rooms around the world. The fact that people don’t think the INDYCAR has a duty to effectively communicate in a time of crisis is dumbfounding to me. No one was asking for a full diagnosis, no one was asking a doctor to come talk on camera, and no one was expecting the public’s needs to supersede the family.

But like someone else said, we need to just let it go and focus on Robert and his surgery right now. So I’m done.