Page 33 of 33 FirstFirst ... 2324252627282930313233

Thread: Wickens Updates v2.0

Quote Originally Posted by petersmtrsprts View Post
    It sure makes whatever struggles you may be going through seem pretty irrelevant when Robert is sharing these updates. They've given me a lot of inspiration to push on at various times since he has started posting. The positivity is just infectious.
    This, as in could not better be expressed.

Now that was funny, what a couple of goofballs!
    "If your car was a dog, then you had to figure it out and test your own limits. And we didn't go to a wind tunnel – we did it in the first turn at Indianapolis."

Quote Originally Posted by petersmtrsprts View Post
    It sure makes whatever struggles you may be going through seem pretty irrelevant when Robert is sharing these updates. They've given me a lot of inspiration to push on at various times since he has started posting. The positivity is just infectious.
    A million times this.

Quote Originally Posted by Aeron View Post
    Not exactly. Some people who have spinal cord injuries can have control over their hips, and move their knees a bit, but that doesn't mean they have control over their legs per say. I will say the fact that they're walking him is positive.
    There's a video of him doing that. I believe it's from a month or two back. He's got some feeling down there. Maybe not a ton. But when you hear about people staring at there toes to make them move just a tiny bit he's definitely past that point.

Quote Originally Posted by DKessinger View Post
    New video today. Can see both the pain and determination in his face, especially at the end.

https://www.facebook.com/robertwicke...3766802702489/
    I'm not going to remotely lie. that was very tough for me to watch. He's incredibly mentally strong to be dealing with this.
    I'd rather have 10% of the world interested in the ICS than 50% of US that NASCAR currently has

Quote Originally Posted by TimmyZ1 View Post
    There's a video of him doing that. I believe it's from a month or two back. He's got some feeling down there. Maybe not a ton. But when you hear about people staring at there toes to make them move just a tiny bit he's definitely past that point.

I'm not going to remotely lie. that was very tough for me to watch. He's incredibly mentally strong to be dealing with this.
    The other major factor in his recovery is the muscle loss....even if he has feeling and control, he lost so much muscle mass, relearning how to walk would be necessary.
    2012 Races: St.Pete, Indianapolis and THE MILWAUKEE MILE!!!!!!
    2013 Races: Indianapolis and Indyfest 2013
    2014 Races: Popped the Wife's Indy 500 Cherry and Indyfest 2014
    2015 Race: ABC Supply Wisconsin 250
    2016 Races: 100th Running of the Indianapolis 500 and Road America!

Dirt biker/carp hunter Stick500's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mearsfan53081 View Post
    The other major factor in his recovery is the muscle loss....even if he has feeling and control, he lost so much muscle mass, relearning how to walk would be necessary.
    My dad and I both had to do that in the same summer (learn how to walk again after losing weight and muscle- we had completely different problems that put us there!).

I was young and my dad was in good shape for his age and we got going again pretty quickly. As fast as we lost our strength, we were both happy to see it come back.
    "Charging a man with murder here was like handing out speeding tickets at the Indy 500."- Capt. Willard, Apocolypse Now
    "Ain't nuthin' like [being with a woman], 'cept maybe the Indy 500."- Bunny, Platoon
    "To alcohol! The cause of- and solution to- all of life's problems."- Homer J. Simpson

Yes...I guess they were just not paying attention. Wickens has posted a video of himself voluntary controlling muscles in both legs on command (more than a month ago). At that time he himself stated that he still has feeling in his legs. Hopefully the last videos of him learning how to walk has shut that down. There are no electrodes helping him now...

No guarantee he will recover completely...but there's a good f-ing chance. Every video gets better.

doitagain's adopted son aaron5572's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Moid View Post
    Yes...I guess they were just not paying attention. Wickens has posted a video of himself voluntary controlling muscles in both legs on command (more than a month ago). At that time he himself stated that he still has feeling in his legs. Hopefully the last videos of him learning how to walk has shut that down. There are no electrodes helping him now...

No guarantee he will recover completely...but there's a good f-ing chance. Every video gets better.
    He said in his video at the Autosport Awards that he intends to drive again too.
    The Original Fan of Kimi "The Iceman" Raikkonen 2007 World Driving Champion: 21 Wins---102 Podiums---18 Pole Positions---43 Fastest Laps ---1 Gorilla Suit

Maybe not a ton. But when you hear about people staring at there toes to make them move just a tiny bit he's definitely past that point.
    Look, throughout these threads I've encouraged people to stay away from speculation, and I'm not saying you're wrong, but in my experience working at a world-renowned brain and spinal injury rehabilitation center that's not true. More often than not movement and feeling comes from the top of the leg down. There's a lot of myths about spinal injuries in television and movies and spinal cord injuries don't start with people making their toes move. So I think the best thing we can do as fans is to not project our hopes and expectations of recovery onto him.

I will say there is some good news here, because his injury is incomplete there is a chance he will walk again, the other piece of good news is ambulation is high on the body's recovery priority list. Regardless of whether you believe we were built or evolved over time, humans were clearly meant to upright and mobile, because up until the last 75 years or so you had a pretty limited life expectancy if you couldn't walk. He also has great therapists. I think I know where he's been doing his rehab and I've worked with some of their former employees and they're all great people, everyone has good things to say about that facility.

Thanks Aeron.

BAN SHREDDED CHEESE! MAKE AMERICA GRATE AGAIN!

I just saw the Hinch vs. Wickens wheelchair race on FB. Hilarious! The best one since Paul Newman's in Silent Movie...

Quote Originally Posted by ChampCarRay View Post
    The best one since Paul Newman's in Silent Movie...
    Man! Beat me to it!!!

Insider
    That wheelchair race video, and the willingness of Wickens and Hinchcliffe to actually play that way, is inspiring, touching, funny, and absolutely wonderful.

Quote Originally Posted by Jakester View Post
    Great Days of Thunder Reference.

His g/f Karli Woods goes a little more in depth about what life is like the last few months

https://itskarliwoods.com/?p=457

... --- ...
    I would think Robert has a massive support group, both close knit and the rest of us.
    He is quite fortunate to have Hinch there. They go together like peanut butter and jelly.
    ...---...

Sobering words from Karli and I really appreciate them. They're both strong and pushing ahead with life, but they're on a long, difficult road. All positivity and prayer to them.

Blog Entries
    https://twitter.com/robertwickens/st...531124736?s=21

Still a long ways to go but it's encouraging progress is still being made.

... --- ...

The Ladder Broke in 74
    Not sure if this has been posted or not

https://itskarliwoods.com/?p=457
    Delta Force Theme... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQUeQOIlcDM You're Welcome

She was subtle about it, but one message I got from that is they need to stop hearing "You'll be racing again soon!" I understand it's well-intentioned, but it's really not fair to the guy. We can offer moral support without promises we have no medical support for.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Joeremi View Post
    She was subtle about it, but one message I got from that is they need to stop hearing "You'll be racing again soon!" I understand it's well-intentioned, but it's really not fair to the guy. We can offer moral support without promises we have no medical support for.
    You're absolutely correct. Someone might post such a comment, breezily thinking it's uplifting and encouraging, when in fact it could cause the opposite reaction.

Robert and Karli have chosen to inform fans of what's really happening. It's not a sugar coated everything-is-gonna-be-OK situation.

They should be given such support as can be delivered by brief comments on social media, but fans should always be respectful and recognize that Robert and Karli are facing a future that is not predictable at all.

Your post is insightful and illuminates an area that is difficult to navigate. Thanks for that.