Thread: Slightly off-topic: Keep your eye on Heinricher racing

Slightly off-topic: Keep your eye on Heinricher racing

Mandatory indy car connections: Meyer Shank Racing, Katherine Legge, Simona diSilvestro, Ana Beatriz, HPD

Heinricher Racing is going to make it's debut in the IMSA GTD series at Daytona with an Acura NSX run with MSR, sponsored by Caterpillar. For the entire season. Jackie Heinricher is the new team owner, and the Silver Driver in the group (Legge is also a Silver but may be uprated to Gold soon).

The reason Indycar fans should be interested is that she is showing her talent for RACING BUSINESS. She sold the concept and got firm money commitments from everyone involved. This is no small feat.

Indycar would be one of the logical places to move up to. The money is not that different. By trade, Heinricher is a biotech business entrepreneur based in lovely Anacortes, WA (if you are ever in Seattle, you should definitely make the trip. If you do, I have lunch suggestions and places to see).

This is the kind of interest in racing that should be supported.

https://sportscar365.com/imsa/iwsc/h...ts-of-my-life/

My new favorite IMSA team for 2019. Bring Simona back to IndyCar for 2020!
    Nastalgia & headache.

Anacortes is nice. A dear departed friend of mine was from there. Jumping-off point to the San Juans.
    "Only a fool fights in a burning house."-Kang

"If you listen to fools....The Maaahhhhb Ruuuules....."-Ronnie James Dio

I like the CAT livery.
    Sitting president of the "Sato Forever Faithful Fanclub"

... --- ...
    Saw that today. Might be a tough team. All good shoes.
    ...---...

Quote Originally Posted by Bullwinkle View Post
    The reason Indycar fans should be interested is that she is showing her talent for RACING BUSINESS. She sold the concept and got firm money commitments from everyone involved. This is no small feat.

Indycar would be one of the logical places to move up to.
    Based upon what logic, exactly?
    "I would really like to go to NASCAR. I really enjoy NASCAR and if I could be there in a couple of years that's where I'd want to be." - Jeff Gordon (after testing a Formula Super Vee)

Quote Originally Posted by Spike View Post
    Because they have three Indycar failures?
    Last edited by vintage; 10-12-2018 at 10:59 PM.

You could make the argument that having experienced female IndyCar drivers, would provide an opportunity to extend her racing reach, even continuing the partnership with MSR, if/when MSR ends up on their own in the IndyCar series.

That assumes that Heinricher has aspirations to help develop and build opportunities for women at the highest levels of motorsports in North America, carrying with her the women that she started her team with. However, it is very possible she has no ownership aspirations, and this is really more of an opportunity to make some waves with an all-woman team, while she fulfills her dream of being a professional race car driver.

Quote Originally Posted by TheOtherSide View Post
    You could make the argument that having experienced female IndyCar drivers, would provide an opportunity to extend her racing reach, even continuing the partnership with MSR, if/when MSR ends up on their own in the IndyCar series.

That assumes that Heinricher has aspirations to help develop and build opportunities for women at the highest levels of motorsports in North America, carrying with her the women that she started her team with. However, it is very possible she has no ownership aspirations, and this is really more of an opportunity to make some waves with an all-woman team, while she fulfills her dream of being a professional race car driver.
    she is a experienced businessperson and amateur racing driver. She is the owner of this team.

The fact that all three of their drivers for the 1st IMSA race are IndyCar alumni?

she is a experienced businessperson and amateur racing driver. She is the owner of this team.
    Yes, I understand that. I am not sure what more that provides to my response to Spike.

Yes, I understand that. I am not sure what more that provides to my response to Spike.
    How about: two of her partners in this endeavor (HPD and MSR) are involved in Indycar, and MSR has essentially followed a Sportscar->Indycar progression.

Things are getting toppy.....

How about: two of her partners in this endeavor (HPD and MSR) are involved in Indycar, and MSR has essentially followed a Sportscar->Indycar progression.
    Maybe my response was not very clear then... I thought I made clear mention of the fact that there could be a continued relationship between Heinricher Racing and MSR in the Indycar Series.

I also went on to say that it is possible she has no interest in moving to Indycar, and this is a great opportunity for her to get funding to get herself a drive.

I would love to see another team looking at Indycar in a few years, but just because a team hires some ex-Indycar drivers does not mean they will be racing in Indycar in the next few years. MSR has been looking for a way to make their second GTD car a full time effort, and this sounds like a great way of doing it for 2019. I am sure the argument could be made that there could be a path to Indycar down the road, but some people might be arranging the tea leaves at the bottom of the cup the way they would like to see them...
    Last edited by TheOtherSide; 10-15-2018 at 11:39 AM. Reason: Grammatical error

Quote Originally Posted by nospheratez View Post
    My new favorite IMSA team for 2019. Bring Simona back to IndyCar for 2020!
    Me too, we talked with Mike Shank after the announcment and he is looking forward to it!
    "If you go, you can either win or not win. If you don't go for it, you definitely won't win." Jens Voigt

Maybe my response was not very clear then... I thought I made clear mention of the fact that there could be a continued relationship between Heinricher Racing and MSR in the Indycar Series.

I also went on to say that it is possible she has no interest in moving to Indycar, and this is a great opportunity for her to get funding to get herself a drive.

I would love to see another team looking at Indycar in a few years, but just because a team hires some ex-Indycar drivers does not mean they will be racing in Indycar in the next few years. MSR has been looking for a way to make their second GTD car a full time effort, and this sounds like a great way of doing it for 2019. I am sure the argument could be made that there could be a path to Indycar down the road, but some people might be arranging the tea leaves at the bottom of the cup the way they would like to see them...
    It does not, but the indy car owner development team should be talking to her. This took a lot of effort and at one point did not look like it was going to happen. But that did not stop her.

And I am pretty sure this is not about her moving up to GTD from where she has driving previously. There are a lot of interesting aspects to this. And could affect the future of racing

And could affect the future of racing
    How so?

I would love to see another team looking at Indycar in a few years, but just because a team hires some ex-Indycar drivers does not mean they will be racing in Indycar in the next few years.
    Exactly.

MSR has been looking for a way to make their second GTD car a full time effort, and this sounds like a great way of doing it for 2019.
    Agreed.

I am sure the argument could be made that there could be a path to Indycar down the road...
    Yep, and the same blanket statement ("Indycar would be one of the logical places to move up to.") could be said for any team running in any other "lower" series regardless of whether or not that team has any interest in doing so.

...some people might be arranging the tea leaves at the bottom of the cup the way they would like to see them...
    Agreed.

Quote Originally Posted by vintage View Post
    How so?
    Why is Caterpillar getting into this?

Previously, we have thought that companies get into racing sponsorship to promote themselves to end users or possible business connections. Neither really applies in this case.

I think you'll find that this is aimed at using racing to attract attention to companies that are involved in Science, Engineering, etc., in ways that the general public is not aware of. Companies like Cat (and John Deere) are losing out on hiring talent because of this mis-perception and are looking for ways to change it.

This is the world that Jackie Heinricher understands. And it's not just about getting more women into so-called STEM fields. It's about getting more people in general to understand and car about the implications of science. Both on the professional and the hobbyist level. And using racing to do that is different from slapping beer or candy adds onto the side of a car. At least I think so.

I may be way out on a limb here, but this could be a way to lean on the two concepts to make Racing and Science both cool.

Insider
    It seems you are way out on a limb.

And Name a couple of those companies you speak of that would give money to have their name on the side of a racecar.

Quote Originally Posted by RS2 View Post
    It seems you are way out on a limb.

And Name a couple of those companies you speak of that would give money to have their name on the side of a racecar.
    Caterpillar for one. They are giving quite a bit.