Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Engine Manufacturer Talks

Quote Originally Posted by Jakester View Post
    I don't think current IndyCar rules allow a simple big pile of money from mfg to run their engine. That said, there are mfg partnerships allowed which could considerably reduce the end cost of leased engines to a partner team, as well as allow some additional testing and technical support.
    There is always a way around it I am sure. Deliver them a sponsor, pay the engine bill for them, provide a driver for the seat.

When Ganassi’s engine contract was up and they were free to sign, a number of journalists mentioned that Honda helped fund the #9 in some form, which is why they were able to run it bare for most of the year.

Pruett podcast with Bourdais...he hints at Indycar talks with a certain manufacturer at 24hrs of Daytona. Listed manufacturers are : BMW, Lamborghini, Mercedes Benz, Audi, Porsche, Ferrari, Lexus, Ford and Nissan. Any one stand out as ripe?
    Third Gen Indy Fan

Quote Originally Posted by EdJVuky View Post
    Pruett podcast with Bourdais...he hints at Indycar talks with a certain manufacturer at 24hrs of Daytona. Listed manufacturers are : BMW, Lamborghini, Mercedes Benz, Audi, Porsche, Ferrari, Lexus, Ford and Nissan. Any one stand out as ripe?
    If you include the Michelin Pilot Challenge, there are no fewer than 19 manufacturers represented.
    Acura, Alfa Romeo, Aston Martin, Audi, BMW, Cadillac, Chevrolet, Ferrari, Ford, Honda, Hyundai, Lamborghini, Lexus, Mazda, McLaren, Mercedes, Nissan, Porsche, Volkswagen.
    BAN SHREDDED CHEESE! MAKE AMERICA GRATE AGAIN!

If you include the Michelin Pilot Challenge, there are no fewer than 19 manufacturers represented.
    Acura, Alfa Romeo, Aston Martin, Audi, BMW, Cadillac, Chevrolet, Ferrari, Ford, Honda, Hyundai, Lamborghini, Lexus, Mazda, McLaren, Mercedes, Nissan, Porsche, Volkswagen.
    Some already in series...so drop Acura, Honda, Chevy...and no way Caddy competes vs Chevy. Ford has said no repeatedly. McLaren, mmmm, doubt it. Ferrari never. Lexus is Toyota....they spend tons on NASCAR. I don’t see it

Most likely...maybe Nissan, Audi/VW, Hyundai, Alfa

Lambo was rumored a year or 2 back. But supposedly they axed the IndyCar program in favor of a DPi. That hasn’t happened either so who knows.

Does NTT do any business with any of the OEMs that are in Daytona ?

Indycar is the future of racing, so maybe when NASCAR folds then Ford will come back.

Ford CEO has harsh words for employees after "mediocre" 2018.
    Chicago Cubs 2016 World Series Champions

Quote Originally Posted by WatsonRoadster9 View Post
    ...Ford CEO has harsh words for employees after "mediocre" 2018.
    Call me old fashioned, but I preferred the good old days when the buck stopped at the leader's desk.

Quote Originally Posted by WatsonRoadster9 View Post
    Indycar is the future of racing, so maybe when NASCAR folds then Ford will come back.

Ford CEO has harsh words for employees after "mediocre" 2018.
    Ooh, that sounds bad. But what does that second sentence have to do with your first one? Or, for that matter, what does it have to do with the topic of this thread?
    Last edited by Spike; 01-25-2019 at 02:09 PM.
    "I would really like to go to NASCAR. I really enjoy NASCAR and if I could be there in a couple of years that's where I'd want to be." - Jeff Gordon (after testing a Formula Super Vee)

Quote Originally Posted by Spike View Post
    Ooh, that sounds bad. But what does that second sentenced have to do with your first one? Or, for that matter, what does it have to do with the topic of this thread?
    That people say NASCAR is going away and when it does, Ford will come back to the ICS. Or maybe not... I found the Jalopnik post after the fact on my Twitter feed. I decided to add it... Manufacturers will only come on board that have disposable cash cause Indycar is not good marketing with rebadged engines.

Quote Originally Posted by EdJVuky View Post
    IIRC Lamborghini, Audi and Porsche are the same company, VW AG, alongside Bugatti, Bentley, VW itself, and a few others that don't sell here.
    "Only a fool fights in a burning house."-Kang

"If you listen to fools....The Maaahhhhb Ruuuules....."-Ronnie James Dio

https://jalopnik.com/ford-ceo-has-ha...e-2-1832029573

For those looking for a link to the Ford CEO story. Not really anything to see except they only made $7 Billion in 2018

A couple things:

1) The GM and Honda people who run their IMSA programs are essentially the same people that run the Indycar programs. So it could be that the Indycar people are talking to them about terms under which the new player wants to come in. Not to mention Roger Penske and AER, who also may be involved. So it may not be specifically tied to a manufacturer that is at Daytona (though it's hard to come up with a list of OEMs involved in racing that ARE NOT in Daytona this weekend).

2) I would not rule out Ford.

3) NTT has a partnership with McLaren F1. But NTT Data is so big in some parts of the world that it is hard to imagine a worldwide company that does not have dealings with NTT on some level.

3) Aston Martin would be shocking, especially since they have been talking about a USA sports car racing program and can't seem to get that off the ground. And I don't think Renault-Nissan is in any position to pull the trigger on anything just now.

4) The most logical players remain the usual suspects. That would included VWAG, FCA, Hyundai/Kia. And don't sleep on Ford. Scoff if you must.

Blog Entries
    But what does that second sentenced have to do with your first one?
    What was he "sentenced" to?
    "George Bignotti's Sinmast Wildcat (Designed by Bob Riley); delicately built, carefully prepared and boldly driven by Gordon Johncock." -- Keith Jackson

Any genetic connection to Henry Ford is so watered down that no one should count on a Ford IndyCar return any time soon. Current ownership up north is oblivious to their legacy in Indianapolis. IMS is also not the easiest entity with which to deal, particularly given their cozy and lucrative relationship with GM. Any other potential manufacturer will always need to figure out how to maximize their investment and involvement from the back seat with Honda, where most would be relegated.
    Supporting Indy Car racing since 1959

Quote Originally Posted by mdkiel View Post
    I didn't say he was, but thanks for catching that. The fix, as they say, is in.

You might want to take a peak at your signature before correcting someone else's spelling. Unless the mistake can be attributed to Mr. Jackson.

For your own safety and peace of mind!
    "He went into a tire barrier, which is certainly the nicest of all the barriers." -Bobby Unser, Denver '90

Do it for the children (and for George).

Do it for the children (and for George).
    We all can get along.
    Get your head out of your past!!!

Quote Originally Posted by dakinca View Post
    Lambo was rumored a year or 2 back. But supposedly they axed the IndyCar program in favor of a DPi. That hasn’t happened either so who knows.

Does NTT do any business with any of the OEMs that are in Daytona ?
    I read Denso mentioned in one of the NTT press releases and they are associated with Toyota.
    Sitting president of the "Sato Forever Faithful Fanclub"

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by happyscrappy-t View Post
    You might want to take a peak at your signature before correcting someone else's spelling. Unless the mistake can be attributed to Mr. Jackson.

Uhhhhh...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by happyscrappy-t View Post

Fixed. Back to you, scrap, if you haven't peaked for the day.

finally.
    "The track will choose who's going to win."

Tony Kanaan

Insider
    It would surprise me if any new manufacturers come to IndyCar, NASCAR, or F1. The industry is moving towards electrification, and new ICE racing programs run contrary to that. Going to IMSA is relatively easy. You're either using race modified engines(DPi) or entire cars(GT) that you already build for the streets. ICS, NASCAR, and F1 on the other hand, use bespoke engines and drivetrains that share little in common with production cars(and have entrenched competitors that have been there for years).

Quote Originally Posted by RHRfan#1 View Post
    Then TrackForum will find something to hate about it I'm sure.
    Then Spike will break down everyone’s comments like Bill Belichick does opposing teams.

The industry may be going to electrification, but the customers aren’t

Quote Originally Posted by milliesdad View Post
    What’s happens when Miles and Co do a really good job of selling and have 2 manufacturers agree to participate?
    What are you talking about? Miles and Co have two manufacturers participating now, correct?

Quote Originally Posted by RHRfan#1 View Post
    Then TrackForum will find something to hate about it I'm sure.
    When you say, "TrackForum will find something to hate about it I'm sure." are you including yourself in that statement? Are you referring to every member at Trackforum besides you, or just some members?

This forum is not some monolithic voting block that moves as a unit in one direction or the other. There are all sorts of people who make up the membership of this forum. As such, it is entirely reasonable to expect a variety of opinions on any given subject.

I just don't think Lamborghini is big enough to be an engine supplier for indycar.
    Yes I know they are owned by Audi which is owned by VW.
    But for the money required to be spent being an OEM, wouldn't the parent company want to do it themselves?
    Rest in peace, Dan Wheldon 1978 - 2011

Fixed. Back to you, scrap, if you haven't peaked for the day.
    Oh for heck's sake! Wish I could say it did that on purpose. (I actually considered using 'piece' as a joke)

That's what I get for being snarky!

I'm not sure when I peaked, but I'm sure it was years ago, if ever.

Quote Originally Posted by raskav View Post
    I just don't think Lamborghini is big enough to be an engine supplier for indycar.
    Yes I know they are owned by Audi which is owned by VW.
    But for the money required to be spent being an OEM, wouldn't the parent company want to do it themselves?
    Depends on how much brand recognition the VW group want for Lambo in the US.

I don’t think it’s Audi, doesn’t fit the mold for them. They will go back the FIA WEC before IndyCar. I wondering if it isn’t Lexus (Toyota)?