Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Engine Manufacturer Talks

I assume the name change was part of the deal they signed with FIAT. Sauber sold all interest in 2017 to Longbow. I would say it has zero affect. Again, beyond the little Fiat's, there's been almost no commercial movement of FIAT AG into North America beyond what Chrysler already sold.
    "If your car was a dog, then you had to figure it out and test your own limits. And we didn't go to a wind tunnel – we did it in the first turn at Indianapolis."

Quote Originally Posted by editor View Post
    False. VOA spent considerable sums annually for nearly two decades marketing and promoting VW through Formula Vee and Super Vee, turning both into global sensations and indirectly leading to the death of Super Vee. Additionally, VOA was not shy about spending money on championships for VW road cars such as the Scirocco and Rabbit. The head shot money for Super Vee alone dwarfed some Indy car teams' annual budgets.
    As someone who spent 20 years of their life in and around SCCA FV and Club Vee racing (NeDiv), I can tell you I have never seen any evidence of VW "promoting" FV. Club races, nationals, just never saw it.
    I ride tandem/with the random/Things don't run the way I planned them.
    Peter Gabriel, "Humdrum"

Quote Originally Posted by editor View Post
    That conclusion is unfounded. Historical ruminations had nothing to do with the statements made in post 84. Accurate, timely, verified reporting did. We, like others, spent a great deal of time and money on coverage of VW's motorsports activities both in North America and abroad. It is inaccurate to say that "VW has rarely marketed the brand in open wheel in NA." It is erroneous to represent that VOA "barely ever supported the massive global series named for and based entirely on their 90 year old air cooled [sic] engine and torsion beam suspension." You can believe that if you choose to, but such a belief would not be supported by fact.

VW did do a whole lot; large sums were spent over a long period of time. That was all part of our coverage.
    I remember FVee and SuperVee, assume they gave some contingency $. I think they ran a Scirroco in TA. They raced an Audi as well. There was some Audi rally stuff. If you want to add the Audi stuff to the VW stuff.

Certainly it went into high gear with Audi LM effort but that wasn't really north america. I suppose if you count Porsche then it's huge.

Quote Originally Posted by brundle View Post
    As someone who spent 20 years of their life in and around SCCA FV and Club Vee racing (NeDiv), I can tell you I have never seen any evidence of VW "promoting" FV. Club races, nationals, just never saw it.
    I don't think editor was referring to Formula Vee club races. Instead, I believe he was referring to the pro level Formula Vee series which, after the advent of the water-cooled, 1.6 liter inline fours and other rule changes was renamed "Formula Super Vee."

VW Motorsport was heavily involved in promoting/supporting the series.
    "I would really like to go to NASCAR. I really enjoy NASCAR and if I could be there in a couple of years that's where I'd want to be." - Jeff Gordon (after testing a Formula Super Vee)

Quote Originally Posted by LowRyter View Post
    I remember FVee and SuperVee, assume they gave some contingency $. I think they ran a Scirroco in TA. They raced an Audi as well. There was some Audi rally stuff. If you want to add the Audi stuff to the VW stuff.

Certainly it went into high gear with Audi LM effort but that wasn't really north america. I suppose if you count Porsche then it's huge.
    Still further OT and Audi's racing efforts are not linked to VWs, but...yes Audi was quite the competitor in North Ameria
    Audi campaigned R8 LMP1 cars in the ALMS series in the US...won the LMP1/LMP900 championship in the American Le Mans Series six times in a row (from 2000 to 2005). Then later campaigned the R10, etc. up until 2014, the last run of the R18 at Sebring.

OT, Audi would be a dark horse candidate for an IndyCar engine. I think there are more likely candidates.
    BAN SHREDDED CHEESE! MAKE AMERICA GRATE AGAIN!

Jake, you imply that there is a serious candidate for IndyCar engine. I think i missed that from this thread.

It appears that IndyCar is doing some serious/semi-serious talks with a couple of mfg. Whether any of them come to pass or not is another story. They all could decide no.

99% PERSONAL SPECULATION, but if asked who possibilities are (emphasis on possibilities, not ready to say any are on the verge of signing), I'd put Hyundai/Kia atop the list. Both Audi and Toyota would be long shots (Toyota being the longest). Outside of that, it's a crap shoot.

Quote Originally Posted by Jakester View Post
    It appears that IndyCar is doing some serious/semi-serious talks with a couple of mfg.
    Where do you come up with this?

Insider
    Quote Originally Posted by CP View Post
    Where do you come up with this?
    Marshall Pruett Podcast

I think the problem with trying to attract another engine maker is that they would be starting off way behind H&C, who've had 7 years to refine their engine designs. Hopefully, if the manufacturer was well funded enough, and had sufficient design resources, they'd be able to catch up.

But how many teams would be willing to sacrifice their competitiveness for a few years by effectively being beta testers? I think the 3rd manufacturer ship sailed many years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by neti1 View Post
    I think the problem with trying to attract another engine maker is that they would be starting off way behind H&C, who've had 7 years to refine their engine designs. Hopefully, if the manufacturer was well funded enough, and had sufficient design resources, they'd be able to catch up.

But how many teams would be willing to sacrifice their competitiveness for a few years by effectively being beta testers? I think the 3rd manufacturer ship sailed many years ago.
    New engine formula (2.4L) planned for 2021, would reduce how far behind a new mfg would be.
    In all likelihood a new mfg would team with an established race engine builder, Cosworth being likely at the head of the candidate list. That would also reduce the 'distance' to catch up with C and H.

Of course, how quickly a new mfg becomes competitive also depends on adequate funding of development.
    The Lotus engine suffered from way too little development money from the start.