Thread: Larry Nuber

Larry Nuber

What happened between him and Steve Chassey?
    "Paff has been closer to the mark than anyone will give him credit for."

Richard Kimble 11/18/2010

"Paff is far more right than any of you will EVER give him credit for.

As non politically correct and un IndyCar friendly as it is, it's the truth. "

SeeuInMay 12/29/2010

Warped Frustrated Old Man Jamski's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I don't make mistakes. I make prophecies which immediately turn out to be wrong. Murray Walker, OBE

Brian's Wish * Jason Foundation

Dirt biker/carp hunter Stick500's Avatar
    Interesting that Keith Olbermann seems to hate auto racing.

Perhaps it has something to do with him never being able to feel comfortable driving a car- IIRC he has some sort of vision problem and doesn't even drive. Don't know how far back that goes, though.

EDIT: Not vision, but a head injury;
    In August 1980, he also suffered a head injury while leaping onto a New York City Subway train.[123] This head injury permanently upset his equilibrium, resulting in his avoidance of driving.[6] Along with Bob Costas, he supports the Multiple Myeloma Research Foundation as an honorary board member.
    "Charging a man with murder here was like handing out speeding tickets at the Indy 500."- Capt. Willard, Apocolypse Now
    "Ain't nuthin' like [being with a woman], 'cept maybe the Indy 500."- Bunny, Platoon
    "To alcohol! The cause of- and solution to- all of life's problems."- Homer J. Simpson

Mythbuster
    In the years since, someone connected with ESPN told me that the reason Larry Nuber didn't have his contract renewed was over the conflict of interest.
    "Versions of a story that are more tidy, compact, and camera-ready should generally be viewed as historically suspect." - Jackson Landers

In a flagstand somewhere in the Carolinas
    Quote Originally Posted by Stick500 View Post
    Interesting that Keith Olbermann seems to hate auto racing.

Perhaps it has something to do with him never being able to feel comfortable driving a car- IIRC he has some sort of vision problem and doesn't even drive. Don't know how far back that goes, though.
    Just a guess but I imagine he thinks all race fans are toothless Skoal dipping sister diddlers.
    Live like Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Jamski View Post
    That was an interesting read. Who is Jim Thurman?

Quote Originally Posted by KevMcNJ View Post
    Just a guess but I imagine he thinks all race fans are toothless Skoal dipping sister diddlers.
    Olbermann once ran a segment called the Worst Person in the World or something to that effect. He should have nominated himself on several occasions.

Considering how many times he's been canned for being a complete and total a$$ and his known lechery on college campuses during his initial ESPN days, he has little room to talk.
    "For in the final analysis, our most basic common link is that we all inhabit this small planet. We all breathe the same air, we all cherish our children's future, and we are all mortal".

John Kennedy at American University 1963

"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power"

A. Lincoln

Mythbuster
    Quote Originally Posted by boilerdave View Post
    That was an interesting read. Who is Jim Thurman?
    Just some guy.

Google "Jim Thurman" and you'll get a variety of people: a comedy writer-voice actor; a food writer; a freelance writer; a Negro League baseball player; a Wofford linebacker, and more...

Google "Jim Thurman" auto racing, and you'll get a list of links.

Proud to be a Furriner :) Michael Ferner's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JThur1 View Post
    Just some guy.

Google "Jim Thurman" and you'll get a variety of people: a comedy writer-voice actor; a food writer; a freelance writer; a Negro League baseball player; a Wofford linebacker, and more...

Google "Jim Thurman" auto racing, and you'll get a list of links.

Haha...they all sound like GREAT guys.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JThur1 View Post
    Just some guy.

In a flagstand somewhere in the Carolinas
    How many buttocks does he have?

Blog Entries
    At The Night Before the 500 Midget show in 2000, Larry sat 2 rows in front of us.
    He was wearing a Wynns cap and shirt and was with a group of similarly attired people.
    With one foot in the grave, and one foot on the pedal, I was born a Rebel.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jandj View Post
    At The Night Before the 500 Midget show in 2000, Larry sat 2 rows in front of us.
    He was wearing a Wynns cap and shirt and was with a group of similarly attired people.
    He was at an ASA show at the Fairgrounds (then Nashville Speedway USA), I want to say in '99. I had to go down and at least say hello.

Mythbuster
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Ferner View Post
    The Thurman surname seems to turn up quite a bit in Virginia. It seems to be where the family arrived before moving on to Ohio, then on to other points around the United States.

There's also a Jim Thurman that raced dirt late models in Illinois and Iowa from the 60s through 80s, and a Jim Thurman that raced bomber stocks at Ukiah Speedway in Ukiah, California, which further proves the name and surname combo isn't that uncommon or unusual

With Olbermann it just goes to show that he is capable of making people see what an evil person he is totally independent from the matter of politics.

I worked with Larry in the mid-to-late 90's at ASA. Jim Thurman is mostly correct but showing quite a bit of bias against Nuber. Larry was a great guy and he did in fact pass of an aneurysm from what we were told by Wynn's. He traveled to nearly every ASA race as Wynn's was a sponsor and also sponsored Gary St. Amant, Kenny Irwin, etc. He knew his stuff and was very passionate... and very opinionated at times. He called a spade a spade but the fact is, when you're putting together deals, managing drivers and catering to sponsors it's hard to be 100% unbiased. He loved the sport and it was sad when he passed. Most of us grew up watching Nuber and Jenkins as the main ESPN NASCAR announcers. They were really good together.

I'll find pics of Larry if you'd like me to post - be here is Gary's car and also Larry always traveled with "Miss Wynn's". I liked eating dinner with Larry, becasue he preferred expensive steak houses and always put it on Wynn's tab.

For those who don't know Larry Nuber. He was the "original" ESPN color guy with Bob Jenkins for all NASCAR races and would host Speedweek with Bob as well. I grew up watching Larry so was a little start struck when I met him. He called Bill Elliott's Million Dollar win at Darlington, etc.

Larry on Speedweek.

Every race I run in is in preparation for the Indianapolis 500. Indy is the most important thing in my life. It is what I live for. - Al Unser Jr.

Everything I ever wanted in my life, I found inside the walls of the Indianapolis Motor Speedway. - Eddie Sachs.

Quote Originally Posted by 11rowsof3 View Post

Your photo reminds me of watching Jenkins and Nuber work outside the pits at Mid-Ohio on an Indy weekend. Because Jenkins was so much taller than Larry they had Larry standing on a couple of old wooden Coca-Cola bottle boxes turned upside down so that their heads would be at the same height when on camera.

Quote Originally Posted by indyrjc View Post
    Your photo reminds me of watching Jenkins and Nuber work outside the pits at Mid-Ohio on an Indy weekend. Because Jenkins was so much taller than Larry they had Larry standing on a couple of old wooden Coca-Cola bottle boxes turned upside down so that their heads would be at the same height when on camera.

Bob was tall... Larry was... not.

So true, I never even noticed when posting so he is for sure standing on a box here too. Below is more box-less.