Thread: Hunter McElrea wins Mazda Road to Indy Shootout & USF2000 rid

Insider
    Blog Entries

Hunter McElrea wins Mazda Road to Indy Shootout & USF2000 ride

https://www.indycar.com/News/2018/11...rship-shootout

He certainly seems pumped about it.
    Last edited by Fro; 12-10-2018 at 12:33 PM.

Blog Entries
    It's amazing to see so many Aussie's coming through various ladders. Hopefully the success of guys like Power and Dixon (yes I know he's a Kiwi) and even the careers of Briscoe and others will encourage others from the Land Downunder to join Indycar and its ladder.
    "The only good horsepower is usable horsepower.."

Quote Originally Posted by Hitokiri View Post
    It's amazing to see so many Aussie's coming through various ladders. Hopefully the success of guys like Power and Dixon (yes I know he's a Kiwi) and even the careers of Briscoe and others will encourage others from the Land Downunder to join Indycar and its ladder.
    McElrea identifies as a Kiwi but got his opportunity by winning the Aussie Formula Ford championship. He's done really well to grab this shoot out.

From reading his Dad Andy's bio it sounds like he was working for Stillen in the US about the time Hunter would have been born. He now has business interests in Australia, including his own racing team.

I know there are other young Kiwi drivers who have their sights set on IndyCar. The Toyota Series https://www.toyota.co.nz/toyota-racing/ is proving a really good launch pad and is attracting more and more overseas talent (including some from the USA) who want competitive track time away from the Northern Hemisphere winter.

Getting a bit OT - another young Kiwi by the name of Jaxon Evans has recently won the Porsche Junior Shootout and will run in the 2019 Porsche Supercup, which runs as a support series on a lot of the F1 weekends.