Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: A little look on IndyCar Street Circuits...

Quote Originally Posted by Doctorindy View Post
    I was able to recreate the Meadowlands 1 & 2 courses on Google at one point. A lot has changed there since the days of the race, such that the footprint of courses can no longer be re-driven.They really were a mess of a course...courses that is. They were both yucky. In the 1990 race, Arie Luyendyk infamously overshot turn one (the lower left corner of course 2), and had to go up that bridge overpass and back down the ramp to turn around.
    Superb aerial view of what was the Meadowlands circuit and its changes. Thank you so much!!It is a relief that Meadowlands can no longer host races as it was because of the new buildings... The Luyendyk case (GIF), as a curiosity:https://zippy.gfycat.com/MeekHighlevelCentipede.webm
    Last edited by AlfaRomeo182T; 01-04-2019 at 06:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Indyote View Post
    The OP ( Alfaromeo182T ) must like that race: It was the Detroit '89 race, the debut race for the Alfacorse/Capels team with the March 89CA. Guerrerro finished 8th in that race and it turned out to be the best ever finish that season for the team....
    Oh yes, a promising result to start... and the only other points in 1989 with Mid-Ohio (12th)...

There was actually a slight variation in between these two layouts. The first one shown there was used only 1984-1986, then another was used from 1987-1991 in which turn 9-10 was altered, then the 1992 layout with the longer backstretch.

A little easier to see LINK

As always, great info

The comparison:

1984-1986

1987-1991

Same lenght in both cases...

Great thread! Perhaps the Detroit Grand Prix and (to a greater extent) the evolution of the Molson Indy / Honda Indy Toronto track. Poor thing...

Let's continue!

Tamiami Park

Promoter Ralph Sánchez brought racing to Miami city, implementing the Grand Prix of Miami for IMSA from 1983, and CART from 1985. Every serie had its own layout. For CART, a temporary course in the suburban Tamiami Park was used, very different than the IMSA circuit. Trace in the University Park street area, the circuit itself was not as tight as others we have already view. With some run-off areas, even grass at the edges, open curves and kerbs, the Tamiami Park presented a good proposition for a street circuit. Maybe, a little flat and with no driving challenge at all for drivers (when it was dry...)

Miami obtain a favourable place on the CART calendar, taking the final rounds of the championship from 1985 to 1988. The Unser's battle during 1985 was exceptional, with Al Sr. reaching 4th place during the final phase of the race, and "breaking" his son's dreams to be champion by one point... The struggle during the last laps of the 1988 Marlboro Challenge between Andretti and Unser Jr., have a place in CART fan's memory also.

But to see first some action, first you have to see something... let me explain: apart from the 1985 GP, the other Miami races where affected by severe rains and storms. Even the Marlboro Challenge, a non-championship race for the 1987 and 1988 seasons, were a ninghtmare. CART officials wanted another date to host the race, but for race promoter, Ralph Sánchez, it created conflict to the IMSA race he also promoted in spring season, or the hurricane season in September... so the GP was cancelled.

Miami, after all, maintained its presence on the racing circus during the 90's thanks to their IMSA program, and the construction of the Homestead Speedway later.

The circuit: Tamiami Park

1985-1988 - 1.784 miles

1985 - Danny Sullivan wins the premier Miami Grand Prix... but the real action was behind, between the Unser's family (Al and Al Jr.)...

More interesting photos of the event: https://briancleary-bcpix.photoshelt...mi&_ACT=search

Other pictures... Tamiami Park rain during 1986-1988 (literally)

1988 Marlboro Challenge - Michael Andretti VS Al Unser Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by AlfaRomeo182T View Post
    Oh yes, a promising result to start... and the only other points in 1989 with Mid-Ohio (12th)...

Nice Pic! Wonder where this one is taken because it looks as if this is not a 89CA but an 88C

Nice Pic! Wonder where this one is taken because it looks as if this is not a 89CA but an 88C
    The pic was from a Chilean forum... As I have no image from Guerrero in Detroit, this was the best I could find.

The chassis, surely the Alex Morales March 88C-009 muleto car used for testing the Alfa engine at Italy. The racetrack, Monza is posible in my opinion. More pictures of testing at Monza:
    http://win.monzasport.it/gallerie/st...lis/index.html

The front suspension is the pull-rod layout of the 88C, different from the push-rod of the 89CA. Also, the chrome-finish of the front wishbones and cockpit details and decals.

The pic was from a Chilean forum... As I have no image from Guerrero in Detroit, this was the best I could find.

The chassis, surely the Alex Morales March 88C-009 muleto car used for testing the Alfa engine at Italy. The racetrack, Monza in my opinion. Look at this pictures:

The front suspension is the pull-rod layout of the 88C, different from the push-rod of the 89CA. Also, the chrome-finish of the front wishbones and cockpit details and decals.
    Maybe we should have to look for, or otherwise open a thread on the Alfa CART efforts in order not to derail this thread even further....
    `Muletta`has caused me some, and a good friend of me a bunch of head aches....

Yes, return to the thread... sorry for the inconvenience

Tamiami Park Layout

And a little "anecdote"...
    Ian Ashley debut for CART in Miami '85... an ex-Formula 1 trying its fortunes on the USA... His last race, also, two years later in Miami '87.

Next circuit, a classic one: Toronto

Meadowlands
    The circuit: Meadowlands Sport Clompex

1984-1987 - 1.682 miles

1988-1991 - 1.217 miles
    Wrong maps. I've made both track versions for ICR2 game
    It should looks like this (sorry for my quick drawing)
    Last edited by Pavel 69; 01-08-2019 at 01:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pavel 69 View Post
    Wrong maps. I've made both track versions for ICR2 game
    It should looks like this (sorry for my quick drawing)
    Very good contribution... a "detail" that most of the racing circuit database obviate (as far the ones I check... wrong...)
    It is a very good one detail...

To complement the info, the NBC broadcast of the 1988 Meadowlands GP, with the change indicated by Pavel 69

NBC / Youtube > min 5:01
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fHr-P5HMwVI

Thank you one again

Here's the Tamiami Park today. About half of the old course has been dug up for FIU Stadium, as well as new baseball fields.

The perimeter roads that do still exist that of the course....some still have the original race curbing...with remarkably some remnants of the red/white paint still (barely) visible.
    Last edited by Doctorindy; 01-10-2019 at 10:01 AM.

On this shot from 1994 Tamiami Park course is still visible.

Insider

The chassis, surely the Alex Morales March 88C-009 muleto car used for testing the Alfa engine at Italy. The racetrack, Monza is posible in my opinion. More pictures of testing at Monza:

From what I remember, the Alfa only raced with black and gold Miller Genuine Draft colors...

Quote Originally Posted by flatlander_48 View Post
    From what I remember, the Alfa only raced with black and gold Miller Genuine Draft colors...

No. during the part of the 1989 season they drove the car was red. But then, that was also because of Alfacorse was still teamed up with Alex Morales Racing, lead by Johnny Capels. In fact Morales racing had provided one of their 88C chassis as test bed for Alfacorse.
    From 1990 on Alfacorse teamed up with Patrick Racing and the Miller sponsorship you mention.

Long Beach Gran Prix

The jewel of the crownd. If we have to name a US street circuit, Long Beach would be the first one in our mind for the mayority of us.

Former travel agent and motor racing fan, Chris Pook was the braindchild and promoter of the Long Beach circuit. Inspired by the Monaco GP, he was determined to create a similar event on the US. In a attemp to bring tourism, the city of Long Beach started a plan to revamp the entire city. The british businessman found its opportunity here to develop its dream's race.

During Autumn of 1975 the inagural event took place, for a F5000 race meeting. The twisty sections, bumps, and tight curves created a furor that attracted one year latter the Formula 1 circus. With the name of " United States Grand Prix West", the event took place during 1976 to 1983. Andretti in 1977, Lauda or Watson with McLaren, or the first win for Nelson Piquet, was the highlights of the F1 race here.

The renewal for 1984 was not possible, as there was not an agree with Bernie Ecclestone terms, so Chris Pook decided instead to promote to CART. With this decision, Long Beach converted itself as the main and true street course on the calendar from 1984, creating a landmark for the championship and fans. Andretti (Mario and Michael) and Unser Jr. (6 wins, 4 of them consecutive) made the street circuit its home. After them, Paul Tracy or Sébastien Bourdais were other dominators. Nowadays, Long Beach is one of the prominent races of the IndyCar calendar, and one (not to say the best) attraction of the city of Long Beach

The circuit:
    Long Beach Street Circuit

Aerial view (beautiful place)

LAT

1984-1991 - 1.670 miles

Motorsport

1992-1998 - 1.586 miles
    Motorsport
    1999 - 1.824 miles
    Motorsport
    2000-Today - 1.968 miles
    Motorsport
    1992-1998 were my personal favorite configurations. The variation of corners, length of course and overall flow of the track had such great balance and made for some great racing

Here's the Tamiami Park today. About half of the old course has been dug up for FIU Stadium, as well as new baseball fields.

The perimeter roads that do still exist that of the course....some still have the original race curbing...with remarkably some remnants of the red/white paint still (barely) visible.

Quote Originally Posted by Pavel 69 View Post
    On this shot from 1994 Tamiami Park course is still visible.
    Interesting to see how the circuits disappeared by the time, constructions and whatever...

No. during the part of the 1989 season they drove the car was red. But then, that was also because of Alfacorse was still teamed up with Alex Morales Racing, lead by Johnny Capels. In fact Morales racing had provided one of their 88C chassis as test bed for Alfacorse.
    From 1990 on Alfacorse teamed up with Patrick Racing and the Miller sponsorship you mention.
    Thanks for the response during my absence, Indyote. More from Alfa in another thread to the future...

Quote Originally Posted by Straightup82 View Post
    1992-1998 were my personal favorite configurations. The variation of corners, length of course and overall flow of the track had such great balance and made for some great racing
    Long Beach have maintained its personality and rightly established Shoreline Drive as the start/finish line, contrary to Formula 1 years... a GP to see live if I have the opportunity to be near California...

At end of the 1989 season, Patrick Racing was sold to Chip Ganassi and became CGR.

Then Pat Patrick decided not to retire, and IIRC, he actually bought up the assets of the former Alex Morales Racing...and by extension took over the Alfa program. And that became more or less Patrick Racing “II”.

Then he sent the Ilmor engine over to the Alfa people, and well...

As promised, Toronto...

Toronto Gran Prix

If Long Beach was the first real IndyCar street circuit, Toronto (with Surfers Paradise), rivals as the best city race on the US racing scene. They presents one of the best courses of the calendar, and form the backbone of the IndyCar history for this thread.

Molson Breweries, using its in-house promotional division, Molstar Sports & Entertainment, proposed a CART sanctioned race to be held from 1986. With a circuit outlined in the impressive Prince's Gate landmark in the Exhibition Place, the event became the second largest annual sport event of the year for the Canadians.

Fast, dynamic, the course offers overtake opportunities for the drivers, and a very good place to see racing action for the spectators. The scheme over the years have not changed too much, apart from modifications on turns 10-11 (mid 90's), and the moved for the pitlane to accommodate the newly constructed Hotel X Toronto.

Toronto have very good races during its history. But there's one dominat factor called Michael Andretti, the king over the Canadian course, winning 7 times here.

If we add the Toronto charm and friendly atmosphere, we have here one the favourite courses over the years.

The circuit:
    Exhibition Place, Toronto

Aerial view

1986-1995 - 1.784 miles

Motorsport

1996-2015 - 1.721 originally / 1.755 miles from 1999 measure

Motorsport

2016-Today - 1.755 miles

Motorsport

The King of Toronto: Michael Andretti (1989, 1991, 1992, 1994, 1995, 2000, 2001)

GettyImages

A Top 5 for Toronto races made by "The Star" / John Basset
    https://www.thestar.com/sports/2017/...ndy-races.html

And finally, an interesting one, how "Super Speedway" was done...
    http://www.stephenlow.com/super-speedway-the-making-of/

Mario Andretti with a Camera Car on Newman Hass in the Toronto GP.

At end of the 1989 season, Patrick Racing was sold to Chip Ganassi and became CGR.

Then Pat Patrick decided not to retire, and IIRC, he actually bought up the assets of the former Alex Morales Racing...and by extension took over the Alfa program. And that became more or less Patrick Racing “II”.

Then he sent the Ilmor engine over to the Alfa people, and well...

I stand corrected: You're right. The Pat Patrick Racing of '89 (More correct Patrick-Ganassi racing???) wasn't the Pat Patrick Racing of 1990 but very much a brand new team. As I recall, pretty much the entire inventory as well as the coveted CART franchise became Chip Ganassi Racing. Though I remember something about a number of people who were with Patrick ín '89 remaining with him and making the change to the new-founded PatrickRacing&Alfacorse outfit.

Insider
    Long Beach Gran Prix

During Autumn of 1975 the inagural event took place, for a F5000 race meeting. The twisty sections, bumps, and tight curves created a furor that attracted one year latter the Formula 1 circus. With the name of " United States Grand Prix West", the event took place during 1976 to 1983. Andretti in 1977, Lauda or Watson with McLaren, or the first win for Nelson Piquet, was the highlights of the F1 race here.
    In those days, it was specified (by the FIA?) that you had to run a significant professional race on the circuit before a GP as part of the approval process. Don’t know if that is still true.

Ah, didn’t know about the Morales connection...

As promised, Toronto...

Toronto Gran Prix

And finally, an interesting one, how "Super Speedway" was done...
    http://www.stephenlow.com/super-speedway-the-making-of/

Mario Andretti with a Camera Car on Newman Hass in the Toronto GP.
    As I understand, they had approval to run in practice sessions, but not in competition. They were on track during the Toronto weekend, but not during the race. Plus, without running at illegal boost levels which they did during filming, the car would have been really slow...

In those days, it was specified (by the FIA?) that you had to run a significant professional race on the circuit before a GP as part of the approval process. Don’t know if that is still true.
    Well, for some Formula 1 races is still true, like Valencia Street circuit... but for Singapore '08 I can not find any race held before at Marina Bay (not to include the Formula Libre GP's from the 60's / 70's)

As I understand, they had approval to run in practice sessions, but not in competition. They were on track during the Toronto weekend, but not during the race. Plus, without running at illegal boost levels which they did during filming, the car would have been really slow...
    The car was a Lola from 1994... so it had a little bit more of downforce than the existing machinery... and no-boost limit to run the camera, of course. I imagine that the extra weight and position created some profound changes on the set-up and driving technique for car and driver with an imbalance car, specially when camera was position on the front nose.

Insider
    Well, for some Formula 1 races is still true, like Valencia Street circuit... but for Singapore '08 I can not find any race held before at Marina Bay (not to include the Formula Libre GP's from the 60's / 70's)
    Perhaps it was something that could be exercised or waived in recent times.

The car was a Lola from 1994... so it had a little bit more of downforce than the existing machinery... and no-boost limit to run the camera, of course. I imagine that the extra weight and position created some profound changes on the set-up and driving technique for car and driver with an imbalance car, specially when camera was position on the front nose.
    To say nothing of the considerable increase in drag! Even with all that, it remains some of the most amazing motorsports footage. If saw it when it was first released at the Museum of Science and Technology in Syracuse,NY and I also have the CD.

VERY Cool...

To say nothing of the considerable increase in drag! Even with all that, it remains some of the most amazing motorsports footage. If saw it when it was first released at the Museum of Science and Technology in Syracuse,NY and I also have the CD.

VERY Cool...
    Oh yes, the quality and image of the sport is awesome. An exercise to repeat more often by racing promoters I think, as it transfer to the spectator the brutal speed and sound of the car...

Next, another station in our way to review the Street Circuits on IndyCar... Detroit.

Detroit Grand Prix

Another exiled circuit from the Formula circus, as was Long Beach or Las Vegas.

The same history: Detroit wanted to improve its international image, and created a circuit
    set up near the Renaissance Center and the Cobo Arena. A tipical picture was the GM skyscraper skyline, the box area, the Detroit River, or Christ Church near turn 5.

Demanding, very bumpy, with narrow sections and escape roads, it not lasted to much (1989-1991). Not
    organizational and economically viable for the city, the track was set aside, and changed for the Belle Island circuit from 1992 onwards (this one for next threads).

The circuit:
    Renaissance Center Street Circuit, Detroit

Aerial view

The Formula 1 scenario, 1982:

1989-1991 - 2.500 miles

Motorsport

2 wins for Fittipaldi here... (1989 and 1991)

...and another pic for Sullivan with Alfa Romeo - 1991
    Last edited by AlfaRomeo182T; 02-10-2019 at 05:02 PM.

What an awesome photo. Between the giant glass buildings and the church it looks like a Sega arcade game come to life (even more so with the car getting launched over a rear wheel heading into the hairpin!). There aren't enough churches around street circuits, though I would certainly be upset if I was a member of the congregation and had to miss 9AM Mass because of morning warm up!

Insider
    F1 was in downtown Detroit from ‘82 through ‘88. I was there for every one. I lived in Toledo, OH which was about a 1 hour drive to downtown Detroit. Typically I would be there on Friday and Saturday with a General Admission ticket and a Paddock Pass. The Paddock was downstairs in Cobo Hall. On Sunday I would stay home and watch on TV. The only year I actually had a grandstand ticket was ‘84 for Nelson Piquet’s win. I attended all 3 days.

That photo of the hairpin at the northeast end of the course shows why they only had that for the 1st year. That accident that is just starting in the photo blocked the width of the track and everyone had to stop until cars were moved.

Some significant things did happen during that 7 year run:

• In ‘82 John Watson went from 17th to 1st to win. Running a McLaren-Cosworth against turbo cars, he took advantage of instantly torquey Cosworth in order to get around the turbo cars with their lag.
    • In ‘83 Michele Alboreto took the last win for a Cosworth DFV powered F1 car. I had occasion to talk to Ken Tyrrell at an SAE exposition a year or 2 later. He told me that they never knew how Alboreto managed to get the car stopped as the brakes always showed hardly any wear.
    • Senna won 3 straight times to close out the run in downtown Detroit.
    • ’88 was the year of the all-conquering McLaren MP4/4

There is an excellent picture book on the F1 years by photographer Roger Hart, called Postcards From Detroit.

I was also there for the CART continuation, ‘89 through ‘91. In ‘92 I moved away from Ohio and never did make it out for the Belle Isle races.

Hello,

First of all, sorry for the ones who follow this thread, and wanted more continuity... work is sometimes hard with planning, etc, and I had to set aside my free time last month. Sorry once again, I hope to return to normality.

So, today, as a redemption, a triple ration: Vancouver, Denver and Detroit (Belle Island).

Vancouver Grand Prix

The good return of the Toronto Grand Prix made Canada eager to promote another city to host CART races. So in 1990, Vancouver entered the calendar.

Another tight circuit, that started with some fast bends and a quick section on Quebec Street from 1990 to 1997. Turn 1 was modified by 1993.
    From 1998, the circuit changes completely, with a new venue at the East part of the original circuit. Close racing, but a little bit in absence of overtaking, define this race.

The second iteration of Vancouver left some accidental races to its finish in 2004, where the promoter give up the Grand Prix, claiming clash with the construction of the 2010 Winter Olimpyc village and the absence of sponsors for future races.

The circuit: Pacific Place,
    Vancouver, British Columbia

General view (1999)

1990-1992, 1.704 miles / 1993, 1.677 miles / 1994-1997, 1.653 miles

1998, 1.802 miles/ 1999-2004, 1.781 miles, Quebec chicane bypasses

Motosport

1997, a 90º curve to start...

1999, the subaquatic Canadian GP

Denver Grand Prix
    1990 saw the start of the Denver city race... with its demise in 1991.

I could not find to much information about this event, but I suposse that its main purpose was to attrac public to the city and improve their image.

Another circuit based in the city plan, with nothing more than 90º curves. Maybe, the most iconical part was its pits situated in a corner, posing some problems to the drivers and teams during the weekend when in and out of their stops for fuel and tires, and its altitude above the sea (the "
    Mile-High City").

The circuit:
    Downtown street circuit, Denver
    1990-1991, 1.900 miles

Motorsport

Al Unser Jr, King of Denver (1990)

Detroit - Belle Isle
    As we could see, the original Detroit street circuit in the downtown was sacrificated for good to this new venue set on the parkland, in the middle of the Detroit River, from 1992 onwards.

A 14-turn temporary road course that featured a bumpy combination of tarmac and concrete surfaces, that created some difficulties to the drivers. 1998 the track was extended to the called Picnic Way, improving overtaking opportunities.

Detroit Belle Isle faced some on and off on the calendar between 2001 / 2007-2008 /2012, because of the i
    ncreasingly criticized for its narrowness, poor access, and its overall uncompetitive nature. Nowadays this problems have been improve, creating once again a popular event for the public. Add to this, the use of the extended layout during the last years, with the more competitive course.

The circuit:
    The Raceway on Belle Isle Park, Detroit

1992-1997, 2.100 miles / 2007-2012, 2.070 miles

Motorsport

1998-2001, 2013-today 2.346 miles

Motorsport

Ups!! The concrete is coming apart... (2012)

Detroit pits at its most