Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: PT cleared by NBC re:Facebook comment, will continue as TV analyst

Quote Originally Posted by KevMcNJ View Post
    Do we REALLY need to know the gap closed by .218 seconds when it's visibly obvious that driver B is closing fast on driver A?
    This
    "Paff has been closer to the mark than anyone will give him credit for."

Richard Kimble 11/18/2010

"Paff is far more right than any of you will EVER give him credit for.

As non politically correct and un IndyCar friendly as it is, it's the truth. "

SeeuInMay 12/29/2010

Do we REALLY need to know the gap closed by .218 seconds when it's visibly obvious that driver B is closing fast on driver A?
    I like to hear the total gap in seconds and how much he is closing each lap so I can know when he will catch him.

She too?
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    I like to hear the total gap in seconds and how much he is closing each lap so I can know when he will catch him.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobcat00 View Post
    Another year of Paul Tracy making obviously incorrect comments at least once per race.

As I've said before, this is not Paul's fault. It's because they have three people doing the broadcast, and all three of them feel that they have to be talking every single second throughout the race. If hockey (another fast moving sport) broadcasts work well with just two people, why can't racing have just two people doing the broadcasts?
    For the life of me, i do not understand why they don't spin around 180 degrees and look out the window of the booth and call the action on the bloody track. Diffey is the only one watching. Everybody else relies on the replay. Call the action LIVE, like Ken Squire did. Old Ken had me scared senseless at the crack of the engines. Paul Page had that ability before he lost his marbles. He can barely keep track of two dragsters at the same time before he retired to pasture.

Dale Earnhardt Junior understands all this.^^^^ He just knows what NOT to say while riding the edge. "Hell, I'd rather be down there drinkin' beer with them fellas than sitting up here wearing a neck tie." I can't wait for Junior to get to the Indy 500 in May. It will blow his hair back.

End rant

Everybody have a safe, happy and very Merry Christmas.
    "Far better it is to dare mighty things, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat" -Teddy Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by ramberg View Post
    She too?
    Of course.

Please don't remind me that he is on the button. It would be better that I didn't know there was even a gimmick atall. Blind ignorance would suit me fine

Dirt biker/carp hunter Stick500's Avatar
    Dale Jr. is going to be part of the NBC broadcast at the 500? Awesome!
    "Charging a man with murder here was like handing out speeding tickets at the Indy 500."- Capt. Willard, Apocolypse Now
    "Ain't nuthin' like [being with a woman], 'cept maybe the Indy 500."- Bunny, Platoon
    "To alcohol! The cause of- and solution to- all of life's problems."- Homer J. Simpson

Caitlyn Jenner will be the first transgender pit reporter.

Rocky Mountain High
    Quote Originally Posted by Sea Fury View Post
    Helio is a cool guy, but he is not part of the announcing team.
    What's the saying? Those who can race. Those who can't announce.

Quote Originally Posted by Stick500 View Post
    Dale Jr. is going to be part of the NBC broadcast at the 500? Awesome!
    He said his trip will be part work and play. I doubt he'll be a pit reporter but I'm sure he'll probably be part of the pre-race show.
    I'd rather have 10% of the world interested in the ICS than 50% of US that NASCAR currently has

Quote Originally Posted by Outlaw View Post
    What's the saying? Those who can race. Those who can't announce.
    Damn, and all these years I thought Bobby Unser knew how to race.

Blog Entries
    THIS!

Watch a NASCAR race and there is barely a moments silence during a broadcast.

There are times when the picture on the screen just tells the story.

STFU and let the story tell itself
    Maybe they will hire a director that knows enough about racing to actually tell that story on screen more often

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    That’s where a better on-screen graphics package comes in play. I’d been able to watch Sky Sports F1 coverage here and there in the past, but after a full season(minus the first race chopped up by commercials), it’s amazing how well a race CAN be covered with nary a single fluff piece.

Quote Originally Posted by Nigel Red5 View Post
    That’s where a better on-screen graphics package comes in play. I’d been able to watch Sky Sports F1 coverage here and there in the past, but after a full season(minus the first race chopped up by commercials), it’s amazing how well a race CAN be covered with nary a single fluff piece.
    I love how they broadcast the F1 races. they make a single file parade seem like the most exciting racing on planet earth.
    World's biggest Ryan Hunter-Reay fan!

When not discussing opinions, I try my best to only post facts, if I post something factually incorrect please correct me with a source (if possible)

Quote Originally Posted by RHRfan#1 View Post
    ...a single file parade...
    Either you didn't watch any F1 races this year or you are being purposefully obtuse.
    "I would really like to go to NASCAR. I really enjoy NASCAR and if I could be there in a couple of years that's where I'd want to be." - Jeff Gordon (after testing a Formula Super Vee)

Could someone please explain what he did or did not say that was supposedly racist. I haven't been able to figure it out. Maybe you have to be racist to understand.

Quote Originally Posted by Spike View Post
    Either you didn't watch any F1 races this year or you are being purposefully obtuse.
    Obtuse? Solitary for a month.

Quote Originally Posted by Buddy91 View Post
    Could someone please explain what he did or did not say that was supposedly racist. I haven't been able to figure it out. Maybe you have to be racist to understand.
    The gist is that on Facebook someone who is "friends" with Tracy and the "whistleblower" Chris Cunningham posted about the guy who sent bombs in the mail from Florida. The conversation among several people led to Cunningham I presume trading barbs with Tracy, then making a rather lewd/sarcastic comment about PT and immigration. Saying “Paul is on the side of the party that’s ripping kids from their parents just because their parents are here trying to get asylum, which isn’t the same as entering illegally.”

The "account attributed to Tracy" responded in a fairly foul way. Was it a racist comment? NO. It was a bad attempt at a likewise lewd joke directed back at Cunningham. However, this "PT" wrote “No I have invited them all to a party at your house to listen to you play the mini guitar then they are going to rape your wife then you.” Obviously, this is not racist but it is fully inappropriate and threatening. Cunningham claims that he told "PT" that he would report it to NBC unless he deleted it, and "PT" replied supposedly go ahead or that he didn't care.

Now, Cunningham's claim about "PT" not caring if he told NBC is a bit strange, plus his proof it was the real Tracy because he referenced the mandolin is ridiculous. Cunningham's profile is flush with photos of him playing a mandolin! On the other hand, the "PT" account was quickly made private and closed, which one might consider a panicked reaction. The real PT claimed it was a fake account, then admitted it was HIS account but it was hacked.

https://awfulannouncing.com/nbc/nbc-...e-account.html
    "If your car was a dog, then you had to figure it out and test your own limits. And we didn't go to a wind tunnel – we did it in the first turn at Indianapolis."

I suppose now is as good of a time as any to speak up about what happened. PT and I shared a mutual friend on facebook. Often, our mutual friend would post things of a political nature and debates would usually spark. More often than not even people with opposite views would debate the topic but with respect. But each and every time Paul Tracy would chime in he would de-rail the conversation. He would often post things that would make him look like IndyCar's version of Alex Jones. The post in question, like Grizzler pointed out, had to do with the attempted mail bomber. Tracy jumped in and like usual, posted anything he could to disrupt any actual conversation about it but then it turned into somewhat of a humorous back and forth where it would be "well you like the party who doesn't like gluten" No you like the party who's cool with cousins breeding" silly stuff like that before it built up into more true statements. I talked about his support for family seperations (which he has posted about in the past) and that's when he escalated it to talking about inviting people to gang rape my wife (who is about to give birth to our daughter in a matter of months. slightly unrelated but I'm excited to tell people) I told him that he crossed a line that he needs to uncross for no other reason than this was no way for a representative for IndyCar to address fans. I told him I was taking it public this time if he didn't at the very least apologize for that comment. He essentially told me to go for it and so I did and I tagged IndyCar and NBC Sports in the post.

Later on that day, our mutual friend sent me a screen shot of a message Paul sent him talking about how pissed IndyCar and NBC Sports was and for our friend to delete all of their "back and forths". Unfortunately this brought his name into their conversation which pissed him off and he has since unfriended me in the process, which sucks. A friend of mine was talking to her IndyStar reporter friend about this apparently in passing and so her friend did some digging, got a statement from PT saying it was the work of a fake account . . . or his account was hacked. He keeps changing his answer for that. My wife and I originally didn't even want to get the media into this because we didn't think this was all worth it. I thought maybe just showcasing Paul's behavior would be enough to shame him into an apology. Well the coverup became worse than the crime so I had to give a statement. But at that point, our mutual friend wanted nothing to do with it and he was the one who could have told them straight up that this wasn't a hacked account or a fake account.

When the story broke I purposely stayed off discussing the topic on this board and on the social media sites. Instead I got to see my name be called everything in the book and have some lovely people track down myself and my wife's facebook accounts and post wonderful things towards us.

As for the Star's claim that I knew it was him because of me playing mandolin was a strange and clumsy addition to the story on their part and I have no way of explaining that.

I'm not happy that he has been re-upped and I'm sure a huge number of you on here disagree and that's fine. I hope this sheds a little bit of light on what happened. Personally I don't think his political views should be what get him canned from NBC, it should be his behavior towards fans when acting as a representative for the sport.

Quote Originally Posted by Grizzlor View Post
    The gist is that on Facebook someone who is "friends" with Tracy and the "whistleblower" Chris Cunningham posted about the guy who sent bombs in the mail from Florida. The conversation among several people led to Cunningham I presume trading barbs with Tracy, then making a rather lewd/sarcastic comment about PT and immigration. Saying “Paul is on the side of the party that’s ripping kids from their parents just because their parents are here trying to get asylum, which isn’t the same as entering illegally.”

The "account attributed to Tracy" responded in a fairly foul way. Was it a racist comment? NO. It was a bad attempt at a likewise lewd joke directed back at Cunningham. However, this "PT" wrote “No I have invited them all to a party at your house to listen to you play the mini guitar then they are going to rape your wife then you.” Obviously, this is not racist but it is fully inappropriate and threatening. Cunningham claims that he told "PT" that he would report it to NBC unless he deleted it, and "PT" replied supposedly go ahead or that he didn't care.

Now, Cunningham's claim about "PT" not caring if he told NBC is a bit strange, plus his proof it was the real Tracy because he referenced the mandolin is ridiculous. Cunningham's profile is flush with photos of him playing a mandolin! On the other hand, the "PT" account was quickly made private and closed, which one might consider a panicked reaction. The real PT claimed it was a fake account, then admitted it was HIS account but it was hacked.

https://awfulannouncing.com/nbc/nbc-...e-account.html
    Last edited by Buddha4Mary; 12-26-2018 at 05:28 PM.

Administratively Fooled DurwardKirby's Avatar
    Schooled with a strap right across my back
    Thanks for the clarification!
    There's really no such thing as Gary the Møøse, Sybil.

In a flagstand somewhere in the Carolinas
    As a nobody from nowhere I don't understand why people feel the need to get political on social media.

No one ever changes their mind and basically half your friends think youre bonkers for having an opposite opinion on this or that hot button topic du jour.

I have some friends I made here on TF who I KNOW are on the far opposite end of the political spectrum and I see no reason to annoy them and non-racing friends of mine by posting things I know will end up in an online mud fight.

Theres occasion moments of weakness or bad judgement where I make comments but I do try and keep it light and dumb on my social media. Its easier that way. I cannot comprehend someone in the public eye deciding to go down that road when its not tens or dozens of followers getting annoyed but thousands or even millions.

Keep it fun people!

Live like Dave

I had a self-imposed rule when I worked. If I was pissed and wrote an email, I'd wait 24 hours before sending it. I NEVER sent the emails. That's the problem with social media, there are people that have no filter and the stuff gets written and posted before they've had time to think about it. If I were a famous person, I'd NEVER post anything on social media. It's just too dangerous.

As a nobody from nowhere I don't understand why people feel the need to get political on social media.
    I'm convinced they are trying to convince the world, and more importantly themselves, they are correct, and on the right team. Whichever team that is. I have been truly disappointed by some of the things people I like and respect have said, and shared, on social media. It's just sad to see such ignorance. Left or right, all the political BS is simply that.
    "He went into a tire barrier, which is certainly the nicest of all the barriers." -Bobby Unser, Denver '90

Blog Entries
    being falsely accused is a very disturbing thing.
    I love the sport more than I hate the past,

THIS!

Watch a NASCAR race and there is barely a moments silence during a broadcast.

There are times when the picture on the screen just tells the story.

STFU and let the story tell itself
    100% agree

Sometimes the guys ruin the race for me by being furtune tellers by telling who will win the race after the first pit stop. STFU and let thimgs play out,
    kwetcherbetchen

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by paper View Post
    Agreed.

in this case, what was posted was indisputable. was it racist, no. was it in poor taste, absolutely, as were the recipients comments. is it fair for that to play out in public before anything is investigated and resolved, not it the least. Do I fully believe PT was hacked, uh, no....nor do I believe he should have lost his job for what was said in a private conversation and largely nothing more than banter.

I think Marshall Pruett alluded that NBC's concern is PT's repeated hostility on social media (towards people who are likely Indycar fans/NBC Sports customers) rather than any political content of this latest or previous exchanges. Between these and the Wickens stuff, PT was already on thin ice and a zero tolerance policy may be part of his extension if I remember Pruett's comments correctly.

It's really easy to not engage in "shouting" matches on social media. An on-air personality for a major broadcast network, or any high profile employee of a high profile corporation for that matter, certainly should be wise enough to avoid it. Unfortunately, PT most likely is not and if he once again ridicules or alludes threats to his employer's consumers, he will have earned his dismissal. I will miss him on Indycar coverage. I don't however miss following him on twitter. I never saw much political stuff from him when I followed but his spelling and grammatical malfeasance made me feel like Mr. Hand grading history exams.
    Last edited by E Nasty; 12-28-2018 at 02:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by paper View Post
    By the same token, doing disturbing things is also very disturbing.

Quote Originally Posted by happyscrappy-t View Post
    I have been truly disappointed by some of the things people I like and respect have said, and shared, on social media. It's just sad to see such ignorance. Left or right, all the political BS is simply that.
    Agreed.

In a flagstand somewhere in the Carolinas
    Quote Originally Posted by E Nasty View Post
    I think Marshall Pruett alluded that NBC's concern is PT's repeated hostility on social media (towards people who are likely Indycar fans/NBC Sports customers) rather than any political content of this latest or previous exchanges. Between these and the Wickens stuff, PT was already on thin ice and a zero tolerance policy may be part of his extension if I remember Pruett's comments correctly.

Its really easy to not engage in "shouting" matches on social media. An on-air personality for a major broadcast network, or any high profile employee of a high profile corporation for that matter, certainly should be wise enough to avoid it. Unfortunately, PT most likely is not and if he once again ridicules or alludes threats to his employer's consumers, he will have earned his dismissal. I will miss him on Indycar coverage. I don't however miss following him on twitter. I never saw much political stuff from him when I followed but his spelling and grammatical malfeasance made me feel like Mr. Hand grading history exams.

AWESOME movie reference.