Thread: Goodbye Manson

Goodbye Manson

Some old-timers like myself from the very early days of TF will remember David Manson,...aka Manson.
    He was very passionate about the the Indy 500, the early-IRL and oval racing, and used to host Manson-chat.

I first met David in the infancy of the internet on internet racing boards...specifically the old SpeedNet & iRace CART/IRL IndyCar message boards in 1997. We hit it off right-away anonymously and before long we finally met face-to-face for a beer. An instant and long friendship was born.

He & I use to meet-up at The Flag Room at IMS and watch IndyCar races there in the lounge,...loooong before the watch-parties were ever officially formed and made popular. David took me to my very first IndyCar night race at Atlanta in July 2000. He & I would go to IMS in May, and attend many other races together in the early 2000's. We raced go-karts, ate tenderloins and drank some beers too.

We were fellow Indy 500 fans, music fans, cat lovers and just all-around friends. In later years we both even contracted and fought the same cancer. I was deeply saddened to learn this morning that my long-time friend lost his fight at 4:30 am. He is now free from his pain & illness.

Happy laps David, your track is forever green now.
    I'll miss you my friend.

Last edited by indyracefan; 01-07-2019 at 12:51 AM.
    ​a bad day at the race track beats a good day at work

Paradoxically Sublime Fool Turn13's Avatar
    Learning to drive in the rain in Brownsburg, Indiana
    Blog Entries
    Nooo!

David and I watched the first F1 qualifications from Tower Terrace, iirc. Maybe it was the second ones.

But he was there with Railbird when we did our first TF get-together, at the HoF fountain. And at the first TF Flag Room viewing party (yellow hat):

We lost touch over the years, sadly.

Too many in this photo no longer with us. Life is too short.

I hate cancer.

Drop the flag.
    "Each day well lived makes every yesterday a dream of happiness and every tomorrow a vision of hope. Look well therefore to this one day for it, and it alone, is life"
    ~ Sanskrit poem attributed to Kalidasa, "Salutation to the Dawn"

Brian's Wish

Hold hands, you lovebirds Jamski's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Dear God.

Never met him, but he’s family nonetheless.

Godspeed Racer.

Speedway, Indiana. 300 yards from the track surface itself.
    Wow, so sad. I never knew this was coming. RIP Manson!

Blog Entries
    Wish I could find the original photo of him like this thumbnail:

Helluva good guy. RIP David.
    Supporting Indy Car racing since 1959

Blog Entries
    Here he was, in the pits at Michigan, during his journalism side gig:

Wow. I never saw this coming. I lost touch with David awhile ago but I always knew that if I ever ran into him again it would be just like seeing him yesterday. He was just that kind of guy. Like indyracefan, I first met David on the message boards and in the chat rooms (remember those, guys?). David was one of our original Wednesday night losers. Yes, that's what we called ourselves for those who are reading that moniker for the first time. The photo that Turn 13 posted above with the group was the day that I first met David in person. I'm actually at the head of the table waaaay across from indyracefan because I had come in on crutches with a broken leg. (Remember that Turn 13, I was sitting next to you that day?) I met a lot of people for the first time that day at the first "unofficial" race watching party where we put together a few tables.

I wish I could get to the hard drive on my old computer upstairs. I'll bet I have a bunch of pictures from the race watching parties as well as Flag Room get togethers from races when I was just passing through Indy on my way between Cincinnati and Chicago.

Manson was one of the good guys and will surely be missed. RIP buddy.

Blog Entries
    Eternal rest grant unto him, o Lord, and let the perpetual Light shine upon him.

He was one of the best posters here, sorely missed. This hurts.

We lost touch after he was the smart one who decided it was time to pull back from the internet racing communities and all the negativity. Always loved his passion for the sport, primarily the 500. Kindred spirits in that way.

Can't thank him enough for kicking off the old chatroom and the lifelong friends that place created. There was something inherently more personal in that space than there ever could be in any other format before or since. My interest waned and my discourse with others faltered as we moved away from that personal connection to the hit and run feel of the forums. That said, I think we were both in the original 100 members on TF and did enjoy a lot of interaction before we drifted apart. I wonder how many of the two digit members are still around?

Hopefully our old friend found much happiness before the sickness took over. Sorry to see him go - he was one of the good ones.

As always - **** cancer...

EDIT - On reflection I think Dave really just stepped back from the online participation when he became less interested in the direction of IndyCar as the original IRL ideas faded away. He liked what he liked and there wasn't a point engaging in something that didn't hold his interest like it used to. Pretty noble really rather than raining on everyone else's parade.
    Dan Schlosser
    Go fast, turn left !
    www.tracksideonline.com

"Count all your blessings, just don't keep score...."
    Mark "Hoot" Marchetti

I had re-connected with Dave thru Facebook about 5-years or so ago.
    I was shocked to learn that he was fighting the same cancer I had fortunately beat a few years earlier. He had taken up running and participated in numerous marathons, especially the charity runs. He looked very good and by all outward appearances, was living a regular life. We both shared a common love of cats, and we both had ornery yet funny Tuxedo cats that we were continually sharing stories & laughs about.

His love for the Indy 500 was still alive. As 'gofast' eluded to, he became disillusioned when the IRL essentially began it's metamorphosis into the series it was created to replace...his love remained but his passion waned.

Anyway, about late October I was working near IMS and a couple times we just missed seeing each other in the vicinity. I came to learn he was going for treatment nearby, my first indication that he was again battling the disease. Nothing seemed amiss though, as I still saw him on FB...until just before the holidays. I didn't think much of it at first, people get busy at the holidays, perhaps like me he was spending less time on FB and the computer, whatever again I didn't put much thought into it.

In the past week numerous of his close friends began asking for thoughts and prayers for him but no-one eluded that he was fighting for his life.

I had a lot of fun with David back in the day. I had just gone through a divorce and needed a fresh-start when we first met. We'd meet to watch races at first, then attended a few together and met each other at races all the time. We'd get together and race go-karts in Whiteland, watch other races & sports and meet for beers. The dude was frickin hilarious, I had a ball with him every time we were together. I was really bummed this morning when I awoke to learn he was gone.

Administratively Fooled DurwardKirby's Avatar
    Schooled with a strap right across my back
    There's really no such thing as Gary the Møøse, Sybil.

Insider
    Remeber him well. Sad to hear how it ended.
    Last edited by DurwardKirby; 01-06-2019 at 08:00 PM.

Blog Entries
    From his perspective, he was trying to keep the oval racing IndyCar fans together... and I think Railbird would have agreed

But those were different days, indeed

IndyRacingWorld.com was his website, I believe. I couldn't find any exceprts on the WaybackMachine, but just read his post history here. He was civil and respectful, not divisive.

He even tried attending the USGP, so he could form opinions based on observation and experience, not prejudice. And when the series changed, he didn't sit around harping about it.
    Last edited by DurwardKirby; 01-06-2019 at 08:00 PM.

Perfect representation of society's electronic faceless and voiceless, 'lost in translation'.
    Having known Dave personally, as a genuine person and friend away from the message boards and racing in general, I know he wasn't divisive in the least. And having that perspective I didn't ever view his posts as being such either.

Quote Originally Posted by Turn13 View Post
    snip He even tried attending the USGP, so he could form opinions based on observation and experience, not prejudice. And when the series changed, he didn't sit around harping about it.
    He was a F1 fan. Like me though, he was more of an old-school F1 fan.
    Perhaps USAC aside, he just wasn't enamored with what top-notch open-wheel racing became towards the end of the 20th-Century and into the new millennium...that being IndyCar in North America and Formula-1 worldwide. Again, old-school.

Not sure I ever met him in person but respected the heck out of him on line. We were Facebook friends. While I knew he was fighting cancer I was shocked and saddened about a week or so ago when I saw he was placed in hospice care.
    Center Grove Trojans
    2008 5A Football State Champs
    2015 6A Football State Champs
    2011 Track State Champs

Center Grove Jr. Trojans
    2014, 2015 & 2017 IEFA State Champs

Quote Originally Posted by indyracefan View Post
    Perfect representation of society's electronic faceless and voiceless, 'lost in translation'.
    What I took away from that thread besides Dave's genius, was that in the old school days the disagreements were civil and that thread went 2 pages not 40! I saw a lot of names that posted on that thread that are no longer with us. Those folks had a lot to do with how much fun the IRL forum used to be back in the day.

Brett, I'm sorry you lost a close friend today. I had kind of forgotten that you and Dave were that close because the core group that used to get together at the Flag Room fell apart years ago. I'm glad I got to be there for the days of pushing 2 and 3 tables together before it became a standing room only deal to watch a race. Then your little gathering grew into the massive opener party that I was fortunate enough to work the door for and meet so many people here at TF whether or not they remember I was one of the 3 women giving them either raffle tickets or a name tag. Those were good times and good memories.

Despite David's passing today I've had time to reflect about good times that I had at IMS. I've thought about old friends that haven't come to mind in awhile. I'm sad we've all lost a friend but I know he's going to be benchracing now in good company with quite a few of our friends who have passed on. Godspeed David, you'll be missed and fondly remembered.

Quote Originally Posted by Slim View Post
    What I took away from that thread besides Dave's genius, was that in the old school days the disagreements were civil and that thread went 2 pages not 40! I saw a lot of names that posted on that thread that are no longer with us. Those folks had a lot to do with how much fun the IRL forum used to be back in the day.

Brett, I'm sorry you lost a close friend today. I had kind of forgotten that you and Dave were that close because the core group that used to get together at the Flag Room fell apart years ago. I'm glad I got to be there for the days of pushing 2 and 3 tables together before it became a standing room only deal to watch a race. Then your little gathering grew into the massive opener party that I was fortunate enough to work the door for and meet so many people here at TF whether or not they remember I was one of the 3 women giving them either raffle tickets or a name tag. Those were good times and good memories.

Despite David's passing today I've had time to reflect about good times that I had at IMS. I've thought about old friends that haven't come to mind in awhile. I'm sad we've all lost a friend but I know he's going to be benchracing now in good company with quite a few of our friends who have passed on. Godspeed David, you'll be missed and fondly remembered.
    Thanks Paula,...and not just for the kind words.
    I've had the whole day reflecting. I've spent more time here at TF today than I have in a loooong time, it's been fun reading old posts and thinking of all the friends I made here since 2000. Sadly many of the old-guard are no longer here (and I mean more than just not at TF), yet I still see a lot of the old familiar 'regulars'. My absence has been due only to having such little time for it these days, my life has changed CONSIDERABLY since the 'good-ole' days here at TF. And they were good days...I made a lot of friends here, and did a lot of things with those friends. I've amazed my wife over the past 8-years how whenever we go to the races, how many friends I have at any race track we go to. I can go to any IndyCar race anywhere in North America and we'll see someone we know. And we're routinely offered lodging and/or at the very least invited to town and want us to be their guests for a dinner or evening too.

Here an ironic twist;
    David & I went to the 2000 IRL Atlanta race together as a result of our friendship built at SpeedNet & iRace. The Monday morning after that race week-end is when I became member #49 here at TF...and David followed shortly after. It is cool how all of us here at TF use to get-together at The Flag Room and at the race tracks. I have some very fond memories of all of us and our time spent here and the races...some of you have been more than just friends.
    Thanks everyone.

Doin' this waaay too long
    Wow! I only met him once, and haven't heard his name in years. But I definitely remember him from the early days of TF and the IRL. He was definitely one of the good ones. R.I.P., David
    "But another icy Indiana winter will come and go and before we know it, springtime returns and it will be May and the roar of engines will once again breathe life into the lazy Hoosier sky and bring us back together." -- Sid Collins

Dave was one of the good guys. A race fan who was as friendly as could be.

In what may be a little known tale, for a while he raced a street stock at the long gone Martin County Speedway, near Loogootee, Indiana.

RIP, good sir.

https://www.goochfuneralhome.com/obi...#/obituaryInfo

Here's a link to his obituary and service.

RIP.. Manson was a good dude
    "Paff has been closer to the mark than anyone will give him credit for."

Richard Kimble 11/18/2010

"Paff is far more right than any of you will EVER give him credit for.

As non politically correct and un IndyCar friendly as it is, it's the truth. "

SeeuInMay 12/29/2010