Results 1 to 20 of 20

Thread: NASCAR Modifieds

  1. #1
    Insider DavidM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2000
    Location
    Ellicott City, Md. USA
    Posts
    10,604

    NASCAR Modifieds

    For the past several years I've DVR'd all the NASCAR Mod races and saved them till after Christmas. It's not too hard to keep away from the results through the year as they get very little press.

    I just finished watching the Thompson August race.

    If you've never watched or attended a Tour Modified race you just don't know what you're missing. Some of the best short track racing that's being put on comes from the mods!
    "If you don't do it this year, you'll be another year older when you do"

    http://davidm.smugmug.com/

    http://www.jacksracephotos.net/

  2. #2
    Member #66 jandj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2000
    Location
    Williamsburg,Va USA
    Posts
    9,292
    Blog Entries
    5
    Best Division NASCAR has.
    I've followed them from the 60s, back before fendered Late Model Sportsman replaced them at most Southern short tracks as the top regular Division.
    Been fortunate enough to see most of the greats run,Richie Evans, Jerry Cook, Bugs, Charlie J, Ray Hendrick, Paul Redford.....
    I'm also fortunate that my home track (Langley) is on the Tour schedule.
    Nothing like a field of Groundpounders heading into Turn One.
    With one foot in the grave, and one foot on the pedal, I was born a Rebel.

  3. #3
    Is Bat Boy KevMcNJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    In a flagstand somewhere in the Carolinas
    Posts
    35,027
    Yes

    Im an unapologetic sprint car snob.

    But asphalt modifieds are real race cars too
    Live like Dave

  4. #4
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    TN (former Vermonter)
    Posts
    645
    Best series under the NASCAR banner without a doubt. Miss being in the northeast to see them at Thompson and Stafford. If I had to pick one Bristol race, it would be Mods even though I think they are better on the flat tracks.

    I really hope if NASCAR comes to Nashville Fairgrounds that they bring the Mods. Far better show than Xfinity or Trucks.

    Also, their drivers have some of the best Twitter exchanges. Coby, Bonsignore, Preece, Goodale are hysterical when they get going. Throw in Rocco on occasion.

  5. #5
    Insider
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Cathedral City, CA
    Posts
    14,290
    Quote Originally Posted by jandj View Post
    Best Division NASCAR has.
    I've followed them from the 60s, back before fendered Late Model Sportsman replaced them at most Southern short tracks as the top regular Division.
    Been fortunate enough to see most of the greats run,Richie Evans, Jerry Cook, Bugs, Charlie J, Ray Hendrick, Paul Redford.....
    I'm also fortunate that my home track (Langley) is on the Tour schedule.
    Nothing like a field of Groundpounders heading into Turn One.
    You mean Paul Radford?

    Also Satch Worley!

  6. #6
    Is Bat Boy KevMcNJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    In a flagstand somewhere in the Carolinas
    Posts
    35,027
    I was very fortunate to grow up less than an hour away from Wall Stadium.

    Some years I only got there a few times.

    Other years I was there every Saturday night.

    Wouldn't trade those memories for nothin'

  7. #7
    Member #234 MM658's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2000
    Location
    Northeast USA
    Posts
    2,329
    I grew up less than an hour from Riverside, Stafford and Plainville. A little over an hour to Thompson, Monadnock, New London/Waterford and Westboro.

    To paraphrase from Spinal Tap, I envy me.

  8. #8
    Member #66 jandj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2000
    Location
    Williamsburg,Va USA
    Posts
    9,292
    Blog Entries
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by flatlander_48 View Post
    You mean Paul Radford?

    Also Satch Worley!
    Thanks, I obviously missed that.
    Saw Paul run many times, including the day he won both halves of the Martinsville LMS/Mod Doubleheader.
    He and Ray Hendrick are the only 2 to do it.
    Paul and Satch both drove the 26 Clarence’s Steak House car, Speedy Thomas’ 07, and the Mason’s Speed Shop 45.

  9. #9
    Dirt biker/carp hunter Stick500's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    6,488
    Wonder what speeds they would be running if they were still having an event during SpeedWeeks?

    Hard to believe they used to run there.

    EDIT: Am I wrong that they ran on the oval a few times? I just tried looking up Modifieds at Daytona on YouTube and all I could find was that they ran the road course a few times in the mid-'70s.
    Now that I think about it, I probably saw pics of the Mods on the high banked part of the road course in NSSN and just assumed they were racing on the oval.
    Even at that time, I thought that would have been nuts in those cars!
    Last edited by Stick500; 01-31-2019 at 06:44 PM.
    "Charging a man with murder here was like handing out speeding tickets at the Indy 500."- Capt. Willard, Apocolypse Now
    "Ain't nuthin' like [being with a woman], 'cept maybe the Indy 500."- Bunny, Platoon
    "To alcohol! The cause of- and solution to- all of life's problems."- Homer J. Simpson

  10. #10
    Is Bat Boy KevMcNJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    In a flagstand somewhere in the Carolinas
    Posts
    35,027
    I don't think they ever ran the 2.5 oval at Daytona but they did run on the big track at Pocono for a few years.

    Then they started using the 3/4 mile inner oval there.

    Biggest mistake Pocono ever made was to plow under that track .


    It was perfect for modifieds.

    I really wish I had seen modifieds at Riverside Park. Looks like it was a hoot.

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by KevMcNJ View Post
    I don't think they ever ran the 2.5 oval at Daytona but they did run on the big track at Pocono for a few years.

    Then they started using the 3/4 mile inner oval there.

    Biggest mistake Pocono ever made was to plow under that track .


    It was perfect for modifieds.

    I really wish I had seen modifieds at Riverside Park. Looks like it was a hoot.
    They did run the Modifieds on the 2.5 mile track at Daytona a couple times in the late 70's/early 80's. Pretty sure Richie Evans qualified at over 200 MPH there a couple years before the Cup cars ever did. But most of the cars did not actually look like real Modifieds. Many were similar to the "Grand Am" division NASCAR had briefly at that time. Essentially many full bodied Camaro and Mustangs. It was all part of "Superspeedway Modified" division that never lasted.(and seemed to be combined with the Grand Am some places)

  12. #12
    Member #234 MM658's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2000
    Location
    Northeast USA
    Posts
    2,329
    Quote Originally Posted by KevMcNJ View Post
    I really wish I had seen modifieds at Riverside Park. Looks like it was a hoot.
    It was definitely my favorite. Started as a 1/5th-mile flat track in the coupe era. Expanded to a slightly-banked 1/4-mile around when the Pinto revolution began. Mid-80's they increased the banking in the outer grooves and side-by-side all the way around became the norm (see video below). And there's not many tracks where you could take a roller coaster ride during intermission.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p446IF_Avcc

  13. #13
    Is Bat Boy KevMcNJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    In a flagstand somewhere in the Carolinas
    Posts
    35,027
    Quote Originally Posted by JMB View Post
    They did run the Modifieds on the 2.5 mile track at Daytona a couple times in the late 70's/early 80's. Pretty sure Richie Evans qualified at over 200 MPH there a couple years before the Cup cars ever did. But most of the cars did not actually look like real Modifieds. Many were similar to the "Grand Am" division NASCAR had briefly at that time. Essentially many full bodied Camaro and Mustangs. It was all part of "Superspeedway Modified" division that never lasted.(and seemed to be combined with the Grand Am some places)
    Forgot about them but I was thinking about "real" mods.

  14. #14
    Is Bat Boy KevMcNJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    In a flagstand somewhere in the Carolinas
    Posts
    35,027
    Those Speedway Modifieds were perhaps the last time Big blocks were run in anger at Daytona BTW

  15. #15
    Insider Unzerdog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Richmond
    Posts
    4,769
    That damn 26. Clarences Steak House. Phillip Morris.

    My first day with DA Motorsports and Hampton Virginia's, Nick Smith. Those 2 picked up right where they left off last season. Going at it, tong and hammer. I found later why the team wanted someone taking pictures. I was just some idiot with a camera, turned loose on race cars. Like my old Lab, he'd chase a tree over a waterfall, thinking he was going to haul it ashore. Crazy. It took years of research to figure out what I walked through. I just wish I had one ticket stub from the good old days.

    The season before I got there, Nick and Phillip had it out for each other and Phillip swore he put us in the wall every chance he got. And so he did. They all ended up in Halifax County lockup one saturday night. DA said he was going to field the backup to make sure Phillip never finished another race, and to see how deep his pockets were.

    Anyhow, when the Groundpounders take to the track, I was on my time. I love my Modifieds.

    Claremont Speedway in New Hampshire was my first exposure back in 79 or '80. We were kids and it was like going to the Indy 500, compared to the jalopies at Lebanon valley dirt track. Those V8's pounding into turn 1 at 8 years old is where I got hooked with it. The point of inception. If I was given paper and crayons, I handed you back a modified.

    I have a few short clips of HD video I shot standing in turn 1 at Southside. Close enough to high five them as they clip the inside wall. I can crank that up full volume on my desktop and shake the concrete. Lamp shakes and falls off the desk. Its like a metronome. I can feel the engine harmonics as the desk vibrates. Meditation. The dude upstairs is wondering what the hell is going down the street.
    "Far better it is to dare mighty things, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat" -Teddy Roosevelt

  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by KevMcNJ View Post
    Forgot about them but I was thinking about "real" mods.
    Technically for a while from when the track opened until past the mid 60's the Saturday race during Speedweeks was combination for the Modifieds and Sportsman. Then later the Sportsman became the Late Model Sportsman and Modified were out.

  17. #17
    Insider
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Cathedral City, CA
    Posts
    14,290
    Quote Originally Posted by Stick500 View Post
    Wonder what speeds they would be running if they were still having an event during SpeedWeeks?

    Hard to believe they used to run there.

    EDIT: Am I wrong that they ran on the oval a few times? I just tried looking up Modifieds at Daytona on YouTube and all I could find was that they ran the road course a few times in the mid-'70s.
    Now that I think about it, I probably saw pics of the Mods on the high banked part of the road course in NSSN and just assumed they were racing on the oval.
    Even at that time, I thought that would have been nuts in those cars!
    As I remember, they were faster at Loudon before they changed the changed the rules and made them run restrictor plates.

  18. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by flatlander_48 View Post
    As I remember, they were faster at Loudon before they changed the changed the rules and made them run restrictor plates.

    They have run the plates at Loudon from the first time they raced there in 1990. This was in response to the the string of fatalities the Modifieds had on shorter tracks during the mid 80's through early 90's. They had them run plates when dates were added at longer tracks like Loudon, Richmond, and Nazareth to slow corner entry speed.(pretty sure they had mandated a smaller carb at all other tracks before that) However, originally even with the plates the Modified were still faster than the Busch cars at Loudon the first year it opened, and faster than Cup they they started racing there a few years later. But the speeds for Cup and Busch kept creeping up year after year(probably due to technology)while the Mods never got that much faster.

  19. #19
    Insider
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Cathedral City, CA
    Posts
    14,290
    Aerodynamics probably had a big influence on the speeds of the top 2 divisions. Modifieds have always been like pushing a brick...

  20. #20
    never was wannabe debdrake's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2000
    Location
    too far gone
    Posts
    9,250
    Quote Originally Posted by MM658 View Post
    I grew up less than an hour from Riverside, Stafford and Plainville. A little over an hour to Thompson, Monadnock, New London/Waterford and Westboro.

    To paraphrase from Spinal Tap, I envy me.
    I'm close enough to NL/Waterford to hear the cars when they're running. Was there every Saturday back in the 80's.
    I'm from a place called the internet. Nothing disturbs me.

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •