Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Wayne Taylor on Indycar Racing: "No interest in Ovals"

Quote Originally Posted by jp View Post
    JP on Indycar Racing: "No interest in Wayne Taylor"
    Clearly you cannot speak for the ICS but you're only kidding yourself if you believe that, jp.
    Last edited by Spike; 01-14-2019 at 12:36 PM.
    "I would really like to go to NASCAR. I really enjoy NASCAR and if I could be there in a couple of years that's where I'd want to be." - Jeff Gordon (after testing a Formula Super Vee)

Quote Originally Posted by Spike View Post
    Clearly you cannot speak for the ICS but you're only kidding yourself if you believe that, jp.
    If they don't want to be here then they should stay home. Simple as that.
    "The track will choose who's going to win."

Tony Kanaan

If by "they" you mean Wayne Taylor Racing, then it seems, insofar as the ICS is concerned, they are doing exactly that. However, your admonition that, "they should stay home" does nothing to address or support your assertion that the ICS would not be interested in adding a Wayne Taylor Racing team to the series.

Quote Originally Posted by Bullwinkle View Post
    Profits get distributed all the time.
    No they don’t.
    Center Grove Trojans
    2008 5A Football State Champs
    2015 6A Football State Champs
    2011 Track State Champs

Center Grove Jr. Trojans
    2014, 2015 & 2017 IEFA State Champs

If by "they" you mean Wayne Taylor Racing, then it seems, insofar as the ICS is concerned, they are doing exactly that. However, your admonition that, "they should stay home" does nothing to address or support your assertion that the ICS would not be interested in adding a Wayne Taylor Racing team to the series.
    Wrong. I simply took the title of this thread: Wayne Taylor on Indycar Racing: "No interest in Ovals" and changed it to indicate that I wasn't interested in WTR if they didn't want to be here.

Quote Originally Posted by VirtualBalboa View Post
    http://990s.foundationcenter.org/990...01611_990O.pdf

Well, here's their most recent 990. They lost money in 2015, 2014, and 2013. They have >$2 million in cash and investments that they can burn through before going away, and they manage to operate close enough to the black that it would take years before they ran completely out of money.
    Thank you. That's about what I understood had been happening. It coincides with the diminished numbers in the Silver Crown and midget series during that period in time. Some of their core series have done slightly better since then, plus they've branched out to sanction in other places as well, and it's hard to tell what type of revenue stream is coming from the other sources.

TD-I know what USAC is too, and it's a sanctioning body, not a league. Leagues like MLB, the NFL, etc are structured much differently financially than a mere sanctioning body. Owners make up MLB, and the NFL. Owners have only a partial voice with a sanctioning body and outside of posted purses, prizes, and points funds don't get access to funds that go through the sanctioning body office. NASCAR's charters put them closer to an NFL type structure than just a mere sanctioning body.
    "For in the final analysis, our most basic common link is that we all inhabit this small planet. We all breathe the same air, we all cherish our children's future, and we are all mortal".

John Kennedy at American University 1963

"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power"

A. Lincoln

Calling it a League was a mistake. But I was answering a question that never should have been asked. Some people are more concerned with being obtuse than actually having a discussion.

Quote Originally Posted by jp View Post
    Wrong. I simply took the title of this thread: Wayne Taylor on Indycar Racing: "No interest in Ovals" and changed it to indicate that I wasn't interested in WTR if they didn't want to be here.
    So, in essence, your message is akin to saying, "If you don't want to come to my party then don't come to my party."

Strong stuff, indeed.

Despite your feelings, I still think the ICS would welcome Wayne Taylor Racing to the fold, wouldn't you agree?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Truth Detector View Post
    Calling it a League was a mistake.

IRS was taken.
    It's a Hoosier thing, you wouldn't understand...

So, in essence, your message is akin to saying, "If you don't want to come to my party then don't come to my party."

Strong stuff, indeed.

Despite your feelings, I still think the ICS would welcome Wayne Taylor Racing to the fold, wouldn't you agree?
    Definitely agree.

"I have no interest in the Indianapolis 500. At All."

Doesn't that irk you? Reminds me of Jochen Rindt's comments at Indy back in the late-60s. Guys would risk everything to get a chance to race at Indy and he shows up and lets everyone know that he hates it.

If Wayne Taylor wants to run the road courses, I'm fine with that. Let the drivers and teams that actually have interest in the 500 get the few engine leases available.

Why would it irk me that someone not in IC would have no interest in a race in IC? Wayne Taylor was being interviewed as a sports car owner, he doesn't owe IC fans anything.

Agreed. Its no big deal. Yes, IndyCar would like to have him if he wanted to be here but he doesn't so there is no reason to care what he thinks.

Next?

Quote Originally Posted by Joeremi View Post
    "Mladin and Spies had a rivalry and were talented" does nothing to contradict what I said. The series was basically those two guys by 2007, it was boring and losing spectators. The problem is DMG made it worse and now we have a decent series in MotoAmerica that no one watches.
    I wasn't contradicting you. But those two guys were worth price of admission. Just like Chris Carr and Scotty Parker. Everyone else can race for 3rd place.

Insider
    Quote Originally Posted by ColdSpiderGT View Post
    WT lives sports cars and has for a long long time. He's totally within his rights to say he has no interest in Indy or ovals. Its not disrespectful or anything, just his opinion.
    I dont have interest in motorcycle racing. no disrespect, its just not my jam. no difference here.
    Also, his team has considerable experience in road racing, but none in oval racing. It would be a steep learning curve.

Quote Originally Posted by Boweimer View Post
    Unless your the team owner, Why would anyone else care if a driver chooses not to driver ovals? No one seams to have an issue with Ed Carpenter choosing not to drive road & street courses.
    No, they did. I remember a fair amount of anti-Ed comments when he made his announcement.

If ovals are so popular, why then has the ICS lost oval after oval (Fontana, Phoenix, Kentucky, one of the Texas races, Pikes Peak, Motegi, Kansas, Richmond, Atlanta, Chicagoland, Nashville, Dover, Charlotte, etc.)? If you are suggesting those are the moneymakers, why couldn't those tracks, and the IRL/ICS, make the races there successful?
    I think audience has a big influence. Remember that the many of those places are NASCAR strongholds. As I recall, many stock car fans were really PO’ed when the IRL races were included in their season’s ticket plans.