Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Wayne Taylor on Indycar Racing: "No interest in Ovals"

Quote Originally Posted by Boweimer View Post
    Let’s make ovals great again. If you pay them, they will come.
    In that case, it might be more helpful to raise money to pay spectators to come .

I grew up in the same country as Wayne, so I can understand his disinterest in ovals. Growing up on that side of that Atlantic, ovals (even the 500) were just not on the radar at all.

Quote Originally Posted by neti1 View Post
    I grew up in the same country as Wayne, so I can understand his disinterest in ovals. Growing up on that side of that Atlantic, ovals (even the 500) were just not on the radar at all.
    True, but Wayne has been in the US for decades, he knows full well what oval racing is about, especially as it relates to Indy in the series that has Indy in the name. It's one thing for a driver to beg off ovals (Mike Conway), but for an owner to look at IC and say "road courses only"..there's something going on there. I suggest that something is he doesn't want his boys on ovals and isn't taking the chance of having a car sitting there for them to climb into.

Insider
    Wayne Taylor said he wouldn't stop his kids from doing an oval race.

In the interview he said that he doesn't believe oval racing will ever be safe and he has seen too many great drivers get injured or killed on them.

Quick question for Wayne: What form of racing IS safe?
    Supporting Indy Car racing since 1959

Quick question for Defender: Are all forms of racing equally dangerous/safe?
    "I would really like to go to NASCAR. I really enjoy NASCAR and if I could be there in a couple of years that's where I'd want to be." - Jeff Gordon (after testing a Formula Super Vee)

Blog Entries
    I'm not Defender, but in my opinion the common denominator would be that you can end up dead in anything from a Street Stock on a 1/4 mile dirt track to an Indycar on a high speed oval.
    In that regard they are all equally dangerous.
    As for safe, the odds of getting hurt may vary according to type of car & circuit.
    Getting hurt in a Sprint Car on a half mile is more likely than the Street Stock on a 1/4 mile, mainly due to car type & speed.
    I'd also say the final decision on danger/safety is ultimately left to the person strapping in.
    With one foot in the grave, and one foot on the pedal, I was born a Rebel.

Quote Originally Posted by Spike View Post
    Quick question for Defender: Are all forms of racing equally dangerous/safe?
    Pretty much. Ovals tend to get a bad rap, mostly due to irrational hysteria by non-oval enthusiasts who generally believe their chosen discipline is superior in every way.

WT lives sports cars and has for a long long time. He's totally within his rights to say he has no interest in Indy or ovals. Its not disrespectful or anything, just his opinion.
    I dont have interest in motorcycle racing. no disrespect, its just not my jam. no difference here.

Speedway, Indiana. 300 yards from the track surface itself.
    Quote Originally Posted by Defender View Post
    Pretty much. Ovals tend to get a bad rap, mostly due to irrational hysteria by non-oval enthusiasts who generally believe their chosen discipline is superior in every way.
    Sophia Floersch recently showed the dangers of street racing. Just sayin. . . . .

Quote Originally Posted by jandj View Post
    I'm not Defender, but in my opinion the common denominator would be that you can end up dead in anything from a Street Stock on a 1/4 mile dirt track to an Indycar on a high speed oval.
    In that regard they are all equally dangerous.
    So, in your mind, "Street Stock on a 1/4 mile dirt track to an Indycar on a high speed oval" equates to all forms of racing, correct?
    Last edited by Spike; 01-11-2019 at 05:34 PM.

Ovals tend to get a bad rap because terrible stuff keeps happening on them. It's math.
    Last edited by Joeremi; 01-11-2019 at 05:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Roadrage View Post
    Sophia Floersch recently showed the dangers of street racing. Just sayin. . . . .
    And we've seen that type of accident how many times on a street circuit?

To the degree that her accident showed anything it is the danger of open wheel racing rather than the dangers of a particular type of track.

From a car owner standpoint, ovals get expensive pretty quickly, even if your driver(s) don't get injured in the wreck.
    "Only a fool fights in a burning house."-Kang

"If you listen to fools....The Maaahhhhb Ruuuules....."-Ronnie James Dio

Speedway, Indiana. 300 yards from the track surface itself.
    And we've seen that type of accident how many times on a street circuit?

To the degree that her accident showed anything it is the danger of open wheel racing rather than the dangers of a particular type of track.
    The general point being when things go fast, bad things can and do happen. No one is immune to the danger.

Racing Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by Sea Fury View Post
    From a car owner standpoint, ovals get expensive pretty quickly, even if your driver(s) don't get injured in the wreck.
    Great point.

Oval crashes take out an entire side or end of the car, on a road/street course usually it's just one corner that gets destroyed.

Blog Entries
    Quick question for Wayne: What form of racing IS safe?
    Another question for Wayne: What series that is built around professional road racing ever made money?

Quote Originally Posted by Joeremi View Post
    True, but Wayne has been in the US for decades ...
    I've been in the US longer than Wayne has, and those decades haven't increased my interest in oval racing. Based on his comments, the same applies to Wayne.

It's one thing for a driver to beg off ovals (Mike Conway), but for an owner to look at IC and say "road courses only"..there's something going on there. I suggest that something is he doesn't want his boys on ovals and isn't taking the chance of having a car sitting there for them to climb into.
    That may well be true. But I suspect that such a decision is a lot easier when you don't have the Indy mythology imprinted in your DNA, so to speak.

For a racer who grew up in the US, there could be more incentive to ignore the risks, as there would be more emotional investment in the reward.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Wilke View Post
    Another question for Wayne: What series that is built around professional road racing ever made money?
    Not sure if that was a facetious comment, but I'd like to draw your attention to a plucky little series known as F1. Not in the same league as oval financial giants like IndyCar and World of Outlaws, but still operating in the black .

Also, you may have heard of:
    Australian V8
    BTCC
    WTCC
    DTM
    MotoGP

... all of which are rumored to have turned a profit now and then .
    Last edited by neti1; 01-11-2019 at 05:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jandj View Post
    I'm not Defender, but in my opinion the common denominator would be that you can end up dead in anything from a Street Stock on a 1/4 mile dirt track to an Indycar on a high speed oval.In that regard they are all equally dangerous.
    People die in bed and people die while base jumping. By your comment's logic, getting into bed and jumping off a cliff are equally dangerous.

Sophia walked out of hospital a few days after the accident, unlike the unfortunate victim of IndyCar's last oval injury. Accidents happen in all kinds of racing, but due to the higher average speeds, they tend to be more frequent and more severe on ovals. It's simple physics.

Quote Originally Posted by neti1 View Post
    People die in bed and people die while base jumping. By your comment's logic, getting into bed is just as dangerous as jumping off a cliff.
    Depends on who you get into bed with.

LOL good point
    "Paff has been closer to the mark than anyone will give him credit for."

Richard Kimble 11/18/2010

"Paff is far more right than any of you will EVER give him credit for.

As non politically correct and un IndyCar friendly as it is, it's the truth. "

SeeuInMay 12/29/2010

Just to name a couple:

Formula 1
    V8 Supercars
    World's biggest Ryan Hunter-Reay fan!

When not discussing opinions, I try my best to only post facts, if I post something factually incorrect please correct me with a source (if possible)

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Paff View Post
    LOL good point
    Except that it turned out not to be.

LOL

"to all forms a racing"...huh?
    So, in your mind, "Street Stock on a 1/4 mile dirt track to an Indycar on a high speed oval" equates to all forms a racing, correct?

Except that it turned out not to be.

LOL
    In this country it is..

Quick question for you. Why is it, after more than two decades, the IRL/ISC still hasn't turned a single dollar in profit?

One more quick question. Other than the Indy 500 (the ratings for which have been dropping for years), why is it the ovals typically draw lower ratings, and oftentimes lower attendance, than the road/street courses?

Quote Originally Posted by ramberg View Post
    "to all forms a racing"...huh?
    Thanks for catching that. I'll fix it.

The general point being when things go fast, bad things can and do happen. No one is immune to the danger.
    The problem with your "point" is that it is non responsive to the question asked and provides no real information.

why is it the ovals typically draw lower ratings, and oftentimes lower attendance, than the road/street courses?
    That really isnt true..

Since the IRL went the road racing route why hasn't it picked up any popularity at all?