Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: And so it begins, multiple people being laid off at NASCAR headquarters

And so it begins, multiple people being laid off at NASCAR headquarters

Jenna FryerVerified account @JennaFryerFollowingFollowing
    @JennaFryer

More

#NASCAR giving out pink slips to many employees today as it downsizes. Unsure how many are being laid off.

Ooof and see below what an awful piece of corporate speak that is

Adam SternVerified account @A_S12FollowingFollowing
    @A_S12

More

Here's a new statement from @NASCAR to @SBJSBD on the major layoffs today: The number of people laid off is said to be in the dozens and is part of a significant belt-tightening effort amid ISC merger.

Last edited by TimmyZ1; 01-11-2019 at 02:08 PM.
    I'd rather have 10% of the world interested in the ICS than 50% of US that NASCAR currently has

Did Baby France get one?
    "If you don't do it this year, you'll be another year older when you do"

http://davidm.smugmug.com/

http://www.jacksracephotos.net/

Jenna F also said in later tweets it was about 50 people and she said she wouldn't name names but there was some high profile ones on the competition side being let go.

Jenna FryerVerified account @JennaFryer 2m2 minutes agoMore

As I hear more and more names out at #NASCAR, I feel like this is cutting numbers and becoming more attractive to a buyer. Some of these people being let go are NASCAR lifers.

@JennaFryer

More

Despite the November claim that NASCAR-ISC merger was a sign of France family "doubling down" on their commitment, it sure feels like this is being packaged for a sale.
    Last edited by TimmyZ1; 01-11-2019 at 02:38 PM.

Any "NASCAR lifer" who sat back and saw what Baby and the network empty suits were doing to this once great sport and did not at least see this coming and make plans, or better yet, walk away in disgust, has himself to blame.

In any event, the story here is there are six years of windfall profits yet to roll in before the next TV contract (should the sport merit a TV contract at all by that point). So this is really no about a $$ shortage, so the only logical assumption is that they are cutting the fat to try to sell out.

Which, since the list of people who could manage NASCAR better than the current generation of Frances is approximately the same as the list of people currently alive, is a good thing.

https://patch.com/north-carolina/cha...-nascar-report

Not much more than above tweets...
    BAN SHREDDED CHEESE! MAKE AMERICA GRATE AGAIN!

This is a great day. One more step closer to NASCAR eventually folding and being owned by IMS.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg McCormack View Post
    This is a great day. One more step closer to NASCAR eventually folding and being owned by IMS.
    IMS has enough to do on its own without tying a millstone around its neck.
    With one foot in the grave, and one foot on the pedal, I was born a Rebel.

Blog Entries
    It's a Hoosier thing, you wouldn't understand...

Wow just saw a tweet that David Hoot is gone. He basically ran the race from up top.

A great day? No matter how much you may not like NASCAR, or like Hulman Racing, cheering over people losing their jobs is bad form to say the very least.
    "I would really like to go to NASCAR. I really enjoy NASCAR and if I could be there in a couple of years that's where I'd want to be." - Jeff Gordon (after testing a Formula Super Vee)

Yet another in the countless series of "NASCAR is going down the tubes" threads. When - as that seems to be the real question more than if - the new merged NASCAR is sold off, it'll be interesting to see how the ownership approaches stabilizing and righting the ship. Until that day, we're just watching them spin their wheels.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TimmyZ1 View Post
    Wow just saw a tweet that David Hoot is gone. He basically ran the race from up top.
    He ran fewer races last year, and I can attest it didn't sound like him at the Brickyard or at Michigan in August. When he started with Nascar, he was also a full-time UPS driver and Nascar wanted him to come on full time. He stayed at UPS long enough to get his years in to qualify for his full teamsters pension. He wasn't sure how far the Nascar gig would take him. I would imagine he has made quite a bit of money in the past 20 years.

Quote Originally Posted by VirtualBalboa View Post
    Yet another in the countless series of "NASCAR is going down the tubes" threads. When - as that seems to be the real question more than if - the new merged NASCAR is sold off, it'll be interesting to see how the ownership approaches stabilizing and righting the ship. Until that day, we're just watching them spin their wheels.
    Let's see if the merger comes about then we'll see about a sale and then then who might buy everything and what their plan is.

For the present after some thought my take, and all anyone has is guesswork at this point, is that the new leadership, and I don't even mean Jim France, have seen the problems. I think people like Brent Dewar and Steve Phelps were brought in and given the leeway to makes changes that the people they replaced, and Brian weren't willing to make. That would include looking around and seeing who was dead weight just around because they've been around a long time, people who were stuck in doing things the same old way and didn't notice time was passing the sport by and others who were there because they were somebody's buddy and weren't needed. I doubt those that remain are going to be expected to do the work of those that got fired but some new people should be brought in to make the sport fit the future.

For someone like David Hoots I can see there being burn out, maybe leading to complacency. It seems like he did a good job, I never heard anyone put him down. But I can imagine it being a chore for those in positions like his to be traveling 36 weeks out of the year and working during the week in the office looking at tapes for violations, rules changes during the off season, training the officials.

With NASCAR owning IMSA, the K&N series, the modifieds and now ARCA I can see them trying to use those other series to be a training ground for officials, marketing people etc. and maybe rotating some people back and forth from those series that have fewer races into NASCAR so there's less of a grind on people.
    "You can't arrest those guys, they're folk heroes"
    "They're criminals"
    "Well most folk heroes started out as criminals"

If NASCAR was serious about selling (and not just looking for a minority partner) wouldn't Marcus and Bruton Smith be the first ones for them to call?

Bruton has been fighting NASCAR for race dates for 50 years now, so surely he would want the tracks, the series, and the control.

Insider
    Blog Entries
    Jenna F also said in later tweets it was about 50 people and she said she wouldn't name names but there was some high profile ones on the competition side being let go.

Jenna FryerVerified account @JennaFryer 2m2 minutes agoMore

As I hear more and more names out at #NASCAR, I feel like this is cutting numbers and becoming more attractive to a buyer. Some of these people being let go are NASCAR lifers.

@JennaFryer

More

Despite the November claim that NASCAR-ISC merger was a sign of France family "doubling down" on their commitment, it sure feels like this is being packaged for a sale.
    Years ago, when France Sr. was sick, a Nascar insider told me the younger Frances had a contract with Disney ready to sign when Sr. passed. Didn't happen.
    quote:
    "It is sad that open-wheel racing has become a buy a ride situation, but it is what it is."

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy Flinn View Post
    If NASCAR was serious about selling (and not just looking for a minority partner) wouldn't Marcus and Bruton Smith be the first ones for them to call?

Bruton has been fighting NASCAR for race dates for 50 years now, so surely he would want the tracks, the series, and the control.
    Bruton will be 92 in a couple of months. Roger Penske will be 82 in February. I don't see either of those two guys taking on this kind of a challenge at their age.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Wilke View Post
    Bruton will be 92 in a couple of months. Roger Penske will be 82 in February. I don't see either of those two guys taking on this kind of a challenge at their age.
    Marcus Smith though is only 46.

News that many employed by NASCAR are losing their jobs is extremely sad. It is easy to understand elimination of redundancies, even given the incestuous nature of a NASCAR/ISC ‘merger.’ My compassionate side wishes all those folks the very best.

My business side chides them for their sheer arrogance over the past few decades. You reap what you sow. NASCAR is almost singlehandedly responsible for killing the racing golden goose in a general sense. The market has been vastly oversaturated by them for years. Increasingly sterile homogenization of their product, not to mention pretty inane gimmickry, has rendered it nearly unwatchable. They also manipulated the open wheel civil war-like boycott for their own benefit. NASCAR has never really done IndyCar any favors, despite decades of France backside kissing by each and every version of IndyCar/IMS leadership.

Their television money gravy train will dry up in a few years, and at that point the real casualties may begin. It is not difficult to imagine the end of the Brickyard 400 over television bucks. Common sense things for them to do would include cutting the schedule and shortening the season to increase demand. It is unclear whether anyone in charge possesses requisite sense.

It seems funny that some over there now float the idea of shared weekends with IndyCar, but that might help the sport in general. NASCAR needs to learn there is more to growing popularity than simply enriching themselves.

IndyCar needs to finally step into a market leadership role since IndyCar popularity continues enjoying growth, albeit it barely more than a glacial pace. Efforts should include education of media constituents, starting with our newly exclusive broadcast partner. A quick glance at their web page still features category headings that segregate NASCAR from everything else. IndyCar has no heading even though they are a partner, and is lumped into the ‘Motors’ heading. That needs to change. It is swell that NBC is running 500 promos already, but NBC Sports must become more immersed in the IndyCar brand, and quickly.

Although ESPN is no longer a partner with any motorsport entity other than the worldwide F-1 feed, and given the reality that there is essentially no one in that organization with any motorsports knowledge, it is hardly surprising they still segregate NASCAR from everything else except F-1.

If broadcast and print media entities do not change their approach, NASCAR will become more of an albatross to each one, and that does the sport no good.

Looks like slow and steady might win the race.
    Supporting Indy Car racing since 1959

Ah, yes, why use only a select few words to get a simple idea across when you can pad things with hundreds of needless ones.

Quote Originally Posted by Defender View Post
    My business side chides them for their sheer arrogance over the past few decades.
    Yeah, dontcha just hate arrogance?

You reap what you sow.
    How ironic that you use a phrase that you described just last year as being "unusually creepy."

IndyCar needs to finally step into a market leadership role...
    Brilliant. I wonder why no one at Hulman Racing thought of that.

...since IndyCar popularity continues enjoying growth...
    Continued growth? By what metric? Ratings for the 500 continue to slide while those for for the rest of the series (along with attendance) continue to remain flat or down.

As I hear more and more names out at #NASCAR, I feel like this is cutting numbers...
    I heard from a NASCAR insider that things are so desperate they had let go of the number 3.

Quote Originally Posted by Spike View Post
    I heard from a NASCAR insider that things are so desperate they had let go of the number 3.
    *Holding 3 fingers in the air for Dale*

Food for thought:

NASCAR is overstated by running trucks, Xfinity, Cup and now by recently squaring Arca. There should by just 1 lower tier series and Cup racing. There is only so many sponsorship dollars out there. I said this 20 years ago,

Not sure outside of the I500 that ICS is growing. I stopped going to that race before the 100th running and dislike minor league F1 street circuits. It's better watching on TV and NASCAR has the best oval racers in the world.

"NASCAR needs to learn there is more to growing popularity than simply enriching themselves." Like the NFL?
    Chicago Cubs 2016 World Series Champions

Quote Originally Posted by Spike View Post
    That was a tweet from Jenna Fryer. That was not my opinion or comment

........ Some of these people being let go are NASCAR lifers.

I can't remember the year but it was at least ten years ago (likely more) that IndyCar/IMS had a layoff roughly the same size. And some of those employees were lifers as well.

I knew one of those let go and he was a second generation Hulman & Co./IMS employee who had been there for many years. He had family members that had actually started working for Hulman & Co. before WWII and he had gotten his own start at Hulman before switching to the IRL.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Wilke View Post
    For what reason would anyone want to take this or ICS on? This puppy is circling the bowl !
    "Lead,follow or get the hell out of the way!

Lee Iacocca

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MoparsRule View Post
    *Holding 3 fingers in the air for Dale*

Ran across this on Jayski's links page...

https://www.racefansforever.org/nasc...--reprise.html

Quote Originally Posted by Jakester View Post

Excellent read and quite accurate.

A very good read. Thanks for sharing this

In a flagstand somewhere in the Carolinas

Boom.

Id love to sit there while Chocolate Myers or Mike Helton reads that to see what theyd say.

But from what Ive read online and heard on Sirius over the last few years their answer would be dismissive; If you don't like the gruel theyre offering now, youre just stuck in the past and don't like the massive changes made because you just don't like change of any kind.
    Live like Dave