Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Crossover drivers?

I'm from a place called the internet. Nothing disturbs me.

Where was the crossover talk when NASCAR was blowing up the tv ratings?

Blog Entries
    Johnson talks like there's little crossing over going. Yeah....maybe in NASCAR but many Indycar drivers have been doing cross over racing since forever. Dirt tracks, formula cars, sportscar, stock car, and heck even go karts - I'm probably bias but Indycar drivers are probably the drivers that cross over the most over a course of year.

I understand that in NASCAR and probably in F1 as well - that contracts keep drivers from crossing over more then they'd like. At the same time though I also feel that some drivers don't crossover because either they don't care or because they're afraid of looking less then stellar in front of their peers.
    "The only good horsepower is usable horsepower.."

Blog Entries
    Funny how nascar thought they were too important to let their drivers do anything else now the worm has turned

Desperate times call for desperate measures
    "I wasn't going to finish 2nd today...2nd was not in the cards...I was either going to win or i was not going to finish at all..." Eddie Cheever-Victory Lane,Indianapolis Motor Speedway 1998

Quote Originally Posted by Hitokiri View Post
    Johnson talks like there's little crossing over going.
    He talks like that because it's largely true and has been for quite some time.

Yeah....maybe in NASCAR but many Indycar drivers have been doing cross over racing since forever.
    In more recent times some ICS drivers have done a bit of crossover racing but nowhere near how many, and how often, as was the case decades ago.

JI'm probably bias...
    You probably are biased.

...but Indycar drivers are probably the drivers that cross over the most over a course of year.
    How many current, full-time ICS drivers raced in other series last year and how many times over the course of the year?
    "I would really like to go to NASCAR. I really enjoy NASCAR and if I could be there in a couple of years that's where I'd want to be." - Jeff Gordon (after testing a Formula Super Vee)

Let's see, Ryan Hunter Reay, Graham Rahal, Alexander Rossi, Simon Pagenaud, Spencer Pigot, Scott Dixon, Sebastian Bourdais (and Helio, Sebastian Saavedra) all participated in the 2018 Daytona 24 hour.
    Bourdais, Dixon, Pagenaud, Hunter Reay, Rahal (+ Gabby Chavez) also did Petit LeMans at Road Atlanta.
    Dixon, Bourdais, Kanaan did 24 hr of LeMans.

Don't know much about IndyCar drivers crossing over to dirt, don't think there were many (Connor and ?)

May not be as much as Hitokiri would like to think, but yeah, there's a good amount of crossover.

It ain't like the 'good ol days' (decades ago) where lots of drivers crossed over because it was the only way they could make decent money driving race cars.
    BAN SHREDDED CHEESE! MAKE AMERICA GRATE AGAIN!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jakester View Post
    Let's see, Ryan Hunter Reay, Graham Rahal, Alexander Rossi, Simon Pagenaud, Spencer Pigot, Scott Dixon, Sebastian Bourdais (and Helio, Sebastian Saavedra) all participated in the 2018 Daytona 24 hour.
    Bourdais, Dixon, Pagenaud, Hunter Reay, Rahal (+ Gabby Chavez) also did Petit LeMans at Road Atlanta.
    Dixon, Bourdais, Kanaan did 24 hr of LeMans.

Don't know much about IndyCar drivers crossing over to dirt, don't think there were many (Connor and ?)

May not be as much as Hitokiri would like to think, but yeah, there's a good amount of crossover.
    Thanks for the help Jakester but I could name a lot more races then that.

Pigot actually raced half of the IMSA schedule. Let's not also forget about the 12 Hours of Sebring where a number of Indycar drivers were also involved. Conor Daly did the Chilli Bowl, raced in the Xfinity Series at Road America, and also did some endurance racing. Alex Rossi did the Baja 1000 with Honda. I'm just thinking from the top of my head so I'm sure I'm missing more then few other cross over races.

Don’t forget Marco crossed over to the international big wheel race in SF.

It ain't like the 'good ol days' (decades ago) where lots of drivers crossed over because it was the only way they could make decent money driving race cars.
    And that's the point. Contracts and sponsor issues prevent it from happening anywhere close to how it used to be. Take the one-off drives in the Daytona 24hr race out of your list and it becomes dramatically shorter.

Beyond that, as you pointed out, drivers make much more now than they did back in the day. I remember the late, great, Dan Gurney and a few others saying how they made more (a few hundred dollars a week) standing around in the background scenes during filming of John Frankenheimer's "Grand Prix" than they made driving.

Quote Originally Posted by slompappy View Post
    Funny how nascar thought they were too important to let their drivers do anything else...
    Who said anything about what NASCAR thinks, or thought? The only quotes in that article were from Jimmie Johnson regarding his thoughts. Remember, the title of the article is, "Jimmie Johnson hopes for 'more crossover' between auto racing stars." There was nothing in there about NASCAR pushing their drivers to race in other series.

Quote Originally Posted by slompappy View Post
    ...now the worm has turned

Desperate times call for desperate measures
    By who or what? Are you saying NASCAR is resorting to desperate measures? If so, this article doesn't support such a notion.

Yep, it was out of necessity. After 1971 when USAC dropped the dirt tracks and road courses from the Championship Trail an Indycar driver had a lot of free time on his hands and if you didn't race something on one of the many open weekends you didn't get paid.
    Last edited by DaveL; 01-25-2019 at 12:12 AM.
    The Ayn Rand of Indycar

No one had to badge the Offy.

Crapping all over threads since 2000.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Spike View Post
    And that's the point. Contracts and sponsor issues prevent it from happening anywhere close to how it used to be. Take the one-off drives in the Daytona 24hr race out of your list and it becomes dramatically shorter.

Beyond that, as you pointed out, drivers make much more now than they did back in the day. I remember the late, great, Dan Gurney and a few others saying how they made more (a few hundred dollars a week) standing around in the background scenes during filming of John Frankenheimer's "Grand Prix" than they made driving.
    That and having very few weekends off when they are full time racers in a series. When does a NaSCAR driver have weekends to even try to race elsewhere? The 24 is before the season starts and considering ownership, it’s encouraged. Other than that, they have what 3 weekends off between The beginning of speed week and the next to last weekend in November?

All good points, Nigel.

a few IndyCar / Road to Indy racers has competed in either SKUSA SuperNationals or Daytona Kart Week over the last couple years. In terms of Kart Week last month, Veach, Chaves & Juan Piedrahita all ran in the Margay Ignite race.

-

in terms of more across recent years on the IndyCar side:

Colton Herta has ran some other endurance races (California 8 Hour, Thunderhill, this weekend at Daytona in the Rolex), Sage Karam ran a Dirt NE style Modified race on the pavement at Mahoning Valley this June (and also has raced random Legend Car races in Vegas previously), Gabby Chaves ran a pavement Midget race at the Speedrome a few years back, Marco tested a TQ Midget indoors last winter (I believe at Allentown or Trenton), Ed Jones tested a sprint car at Cory Kruseman's school back when he first started in IndyCar or Indy Lights - might of been Perris but unsure / remember it from one of the NBC race telecasts (those same cars run the weekly VRA 360 races at Ventura - Alex Lloyd also did a video with the school several years ago).

Blog Entries
    Idk if I’d call some of that “crossover” as much as part time and young drivers trying to stay busy or just having fun.
    so many seats are tied up by sponsorship deals, engine contracts, franchises , etc. how does it even happen? Then honestly, there’s always the everpresent fan criticism and skepticism of drivers coming from other series “taking seats” from drivers they feel “deserve” a seat more or they are critical of drivers that are seen to be “resorting” to driving sportscars or gt’s or cherry picking events in lower series. Drivers just want to drive.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Nigel Red5 View Post
    Drivers just want to drive.
    And message boarders just want to contest pissing.
    "George Bignotti's Sinmast Wildcat (Designed by Bob Riley); delicately built, carefully prepared and boldly driven by Gordon Johncock." -- Keith Jackson

It's all part of grand NASCAR conspiracy borne of desperation.

Speaking of cross-overs... How about Michel Jourdain having a small but important part in 'Roma," the academy award nominated movie this year? Any former drivers with an Academy award to go with their various racing trophies?

http://www.espn.com/auto/story/_/id/...nominated-roma
    Keep in mind, I could be wrong

Now that's cool. Thanks for posting it.

Quote Originally Posted by mattf765 View Post
    Speaking of cross-overs... How about Michel Jourdain having a small but important part in 'Roma," the academy award nominated movie this year? Any former drivers with an Academy award to go with their various racing trophies?

http://www.espn.com/auto/story/_/id/...nominated-roma
    Frank Capua had numerous Academy nominations and a best actor win.
    Joe Tanto had three Oscar nominations, but no wins.
    Pete Aron had a nomination, but he was an F1 driver.

Who said anything about what NASCAR thinks, or thought? The only quotes in that article were from Jimmie Johnson regarding his thoughts. Remember, the title of the article is, "Jimmie Johnson hopes for 'more crossover' between auto racing stars." There was nothing in there about NASCAR pushing their drivers to race in other series.

By who or what? Are you saying NASCAR is resorting to desperate measures? If so, this article doesn't support such a notion.
    I don't know if Nascar is desperate, but it could be that car owners might be a little more likely to allow their drivers to attempt the double. Wouldn't surprise me at all if Kurt came back this year (might be partly why he signed with Ganassi). And I'd love to see Gibbs give Kyle the green light.

Take the one-off drives in the Daytona 24hr race out of your list and it becomes dramatically shorter.
    Yep. Just for discussion (argument?0 sake: How many races in another series does one have to run to be a crossover driver? How many other series does one have to run in to be a crossover driver? Is is greater than one?

Is Conor Daley not a crossover driver because he only did a one-off in midgets at the Chili Bowl?

BTW, the Indycar count is 5 .................................drivers did at least 2 races in other series last year...or roughly 23% of full-time drivers.

Indycar drivers are probably the drivers that cross over the most over a course of year.
    To be fair, they have a lot more free time than NASCAR drivers .

Frank Capua had numerous Academy nominations and a best actor win.
    Joe Tanto had three Oscar nominations, but no wins.
    Pete Aron had a nomination, but he was an F1 driver.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by neti1 View Post
    To be fair, they have a lot more free time than NASCAR drivers .
    Even though that's true - that's not the point. The point is what Jimmie Johnson said he said he wants more crossover between F1, Indycar, and other drivers from other series. There's been NASCAR drivers that have done events like the 24 Hours of Daytona and the Indy 500 in the past. Even things such as the Baja 1000 which Rossi did was beyond the end of the NASCAR season. Yes, I understand there are contracts and other things but if Indycar guys and other drivers can do it - why not other drivers?

So this idea that NASCAR drivers don't have the time has credit but only up to a point. I don't think Jimmie is asking to do what Alonso is doing and try to get the triple crown he's just asking for people to get out of their comfort zones when given the chance. I'm just guessing but maybe Jimmie is talking from a point of regret. That he didn't take some of those chances when he could have when he was younger.

Plus do you think Jimmie Johnson would be saying this if he thought there wasn't enough time for it?

Even though that's true - that's not the point. The point is what Jimmie Johnson said he said he wants more crossover between F1, Indycar, and other drivers from other series.
    Jimmie needs to look at a calendar. It's easy for drivers from other series to run the 24 Hours of Daytona because it's the middle of winter and there are no possible schedule conflicts. Come March and April, when all of the series of the world get in full swing, more often than not they are all competing on the same weekend. The lone exception is the weekend of the 24 Hours of Le Mans when series take the weekend off so drivers can compete.

All of this is besides the point iS there are not enough cars on a grid for "crossover" drivers to sit in. It's all well and good to talk about this driver or that driver from whatever series running a NASCAR race (if that's what he's getting at) but someone has to pay for the effort and field it.
    Last edited by DaveL; 01-31-2019 at 04:28 PM.

Since there are crossover owners (Penske & Ganassi) why won’t they set up a car let’s say for for Dixon or Power and let them have a run @ Daytona? When I think of crossover , I’m not thinking sprints or Baja. You can forget crossing over to F1. That whole business over there is just as much if not more political than sport.

Quote Originally Posted by Boweimer View Post
    Since there are crossover owners (Penske & Ganassi) why won’t they set up a car let’s say for for Dixon or Power and let them have a run @ Daytona? When I think of crossover , I’m not thinking sprints or Baja. You can forget crossing over to F1. That whole business over there is just as much if not more political than sport.
    You're right about needing to "forget crossing over to F1", but politics is not the reason it won't happen ...

You are corrrct. I should have said, you can forget about F1 for to many reasons to list.