Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: NBCSN Coverage of The Rolex 24

Quote Originally Posted by Sweaty Teddy View Post
    While I can understand the animus toward Rutlege, he's actually grown on me. He's as good as anyone for those color segments that are at best tangentially related to the race. Rut in the Snake Pit could be interesting.
    I tend toi agree. There was one or two segments that made me cringe, but on the whole I like him and I think he helps get you the fan experience in a way that's tough to do.

THE BEST THING ABOUT DAYTONA:

PLEASE tell me that NBC will use the same vertical stand-ins bar and kill off the scroll across the top once and for all!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Bullwinkle View Post

PLEASE tell me that NBC will use the same vertical stand-ins bar and kill off the scroll across the top once and for all!!!!!!
    Yes, I too loved that!
    World's biggest Ryan Hunter-Reay fan!

When not discussing opinions, I try my best to only post facts, if I post something factually incorrect please correct me with a source (if possible)

Quote Originally Posted by Bullwinkle View Post

That they broke it down by class, with periodic scrolls through the whole field, made it even better.
    The Ayn Rand of Indycar

No one had to badge the Offy.

Crapping all over threads since 2000.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rossfeld View Post
    Is there room/need for it? The 500 usually isn't so dull that you're looking for stuff to cut away to and fill the time. And I think Beekhuis is excellent in his non-live stuff of explaining how bits of the cars work.

And I think if you're going to go 'casual fan', as in the sort of person who just watches it because it's An Event a la Super Bowl, Kentucky Derby, Oscars, whatever; you go the opposite direction of Rutledge. You get someone more mainstream/professional/anodyne for lifestyle-y stuff.
    IDK, 3/4 of the ABC coverage was annoying and pointless in my assessment. They essentially had to kill 8 hours of a live broadcast Sunday. I thought they did a fine job. I'm sure we'll get multiple cut-aways to Rutledge in the snake pit and probably throughout the crowd on race day, and I wouldn't be at all surprised if he did a spot from the Coke lot. I can do with out all of the lifestyle type pieces, but that's NBC and if you've ever watched their coverage of the triple crown, the Olympics, etc. expect it, and a lot of it before the race. I'm just glad I won 't have to listen to Bob Costas.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveL View Post
    That they broke it down by class, with periodic scrolls through the whole field, made it even better.
    I was going to comment that I really liked their vertical leaderboard and the way it froze the top ten and then scrolled the next 10 I think it was.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Grizzlor View Post
    Rutledge Wood is horrible, hope he's nowhere near the 500.
    Well, Fox covers the 600, so you may want to listen to the 500 on the radio then. I'll be shocked if he's not there. NBC is going to bring out a large crew to really hype the 500.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by 767 View Post
    I thought the coverage this weekend was good. I liked how the NASCAR guys were talking about the differences. Also fun to hear them talk about the similarities. Its racing, there is a lot of cross over. I felt they were very respectful. Bring Rutlage to the 500. This event is much more than a race. That story needs to be told. Like it or not, those casual fans have made our favorite event the largest sporting event in the world. I liked hearing Dale JR talk about setting in DP and the comparison to a Nascar. I would like to see him do the same. Actually set in an Indy car and talk about the differences. Heck lets have Mario take him for a ride! I was very pleased to see the cross over promotion. I was very pleased to see everyone talk about Indycar, Nascar, and IMSA. I'd like to see TB and PT at the Daytona 500. Like it or not, every sport has there Crown Jewels. They are all something special. It is good for everyone to recognize the good job each series is doing. I have always wanted to go to the Rolex 24. Honestly, after watching this weekend, I want to go more.
    NBC has an entire sports package to cover and they've been doing an excellent job of cross promoting not only across motorsports but sticl and ball sports as well.

What I got to watch (all red flag time ) was pretty good. I'm optimistic about the coverage for the 500. Does anyone know how much they are planning to cover of the practice days?

I first saw Rutlege in that US version of Top Gear, and he was beyond annoying then, and he’s never not been annoying anytime since. He may be a nice guy and a gearhead and all, but he’s just really hard to like. I think he just tries way too hard to be personable.

Quote Originally Posted by akh View Post
    Does anyone know how much they are planning to cover of the practice days?
    My understanding is those practices will all be available behind a paywall of NBC Sports Gold - Indycar Pass.

This is definitely one of those races where if you stayed up for the overnight, you got to see some of the best racing on the planet.

Some of the braking moves Alonso did in the early rain had to be seen to believed.
    Silly Season scorecard and Where are the Indy 500 winning cars! http://inrd.gotdns.com/indystuff/

I'm pretty sure I heard a couple of the announcers call it "Daytoner".

Quote Originally Posted by PaddockMoose View Post
    This is definitely one of those races where if you stayed up for the overnight, you got to see some of the best racing on the planet.

Some of the braking moves Alonso did in the early rain had to be seen to believed.
    All three classes had unbelievable racing when the sun went down (DPi. GTLM and GTD). The LMP2 class was stupid and I'm pretty sure nobody even paid attention to it.

I'm pretty sure Rutledge Wood is a sign of the Apocalypse, a chubby, hipster, motorhead. That combination cannot exist, yet it does, signaling the end of days...

I did. I didn't miss an hour this year

Cameron said he let him go given the conditions and where they were in the race. We'll take him at his word but yeah, Alonso was impressive.

Another thing I really like about NBCSN, related to Alonso, is when Nasr was racing Alonso they really put over Nasr establishing his cred etc so you never got the impression it was Alonso against Some Guy. It was Alonso against another excellent highly regarded professional. NBCSN did that with many drivers, pointing out their accomplishments and praising their talent. The message, in so many words, was we were all very fortunate to see all of these great talents from all kinds of racing together competing on the same track at the same time.

And we were.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Grizzlor View Post
    Rutledge Wood is horrible, hope he's nowhere near the 500.
    They'll have the clown in the snake pit the entire race.
    The overall coverage was fine but the app was somewhat suspect at best. The ratings on the app are not very good. It will have to show me more before I pop for the GOLD

I thought the coverage was excellent. This was the first time in a great many years that I was this engaged in the broadcast of this event. I also thought that it was nice that even when not live on television, that coverage continued commercial free on the NBCSN app. I left it on all day, even when engaged in other activities. This is a classic event, and it was great having it presented as such. More and more optimistic for May!

Quote Originally Posted by TimmyZ1 View Post
    Btw if its not obvious enough Rutlege Wood is not there for "us". The hardcore race fan. He's there for the casual fan. We have Jon Beekhuis.
    May we always have JB. Class act all the way.

Rut came across as a pure shill (I imagined I saw at times his mask had slipped just enough to reveal his self-realization of his role), but were I a hirer in need of a shill for my product, he would be the one I hire.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobcat00 View Post
    I'm pretty sure I heard a couple of the announcers call it "Daytoner".
    I think that was Diffey. Australian accents do weird things with words like Daytona to American ears.

I really enjoyed the cross promotion. It was a very supportive feel that "we are all racers", when talking about Long Beach and all the series running, mentioning F1 rides (specifically when they discussed if someone got a raw deal at Sauber IIRC). It was a broadcast for all race fans, from the serious fanatics to casual. It didn't just cater to casual the whole time.

Quote Originally Posted by Proveapoint View Post
    I think that was Diffey. Australian accents do weird things with words like Daytona to American ears.

I really enjoyed the cross promotion. It was a very supportive feel that "we are all racers", when talking about Long Beach and all the series running, mentioning F1 rides (specifically when they discussed if someone got a raw deal at Sauber IIRC). It was a broadcast for all race fans, from the serious fanatics to casual. It didn't just cater to casual the whole time.
    ^^^

Blog Entries

One of the advantages to living in the Alaska time zone ... late night for me.

Insider
    The red flag period around 7:30 AM had a funny exchange. Dale Jr., Letarte and Voda were in the trackside studio talking to an IMSA official. Jr noted that he and/ or his dad would occasionally make suggestions to NASCAR officials, some of which they implemented. Tracy and Bell were up in the booth. Tracy was amazed at the influence that the Earnhardts had. "When I made suggestions to officials, they would either roll their eyes or stare at the floor." Bell said, "Paul, when you were talking to race officials, it was usually because you had been called in."

Quote Originally Posted by AGRiculture View Post
    The red flag period around 7:30 AM had a funny exchange. Dale Jr., Letarte and Voda were in the trackside studio talking to an IMSA official. Jr noted that he and/ or his dad would occasionally make suggestions to NASCAR officials, some of which they implemented. Tracy and Bell were up in the booth. Tracy was amazed at the influence that the Earnhardts had. "When I made suggestions to officials, they would either roll their eyes or stare at the floor." Bell said, "Paul, when you were talking to race officials, it was usually because you had been called in."

Saw that, it was pretty funny.

Blog Entries
    I did not care for their graphics, they where to bold or something it felt like the race was simply a background for the graphics. Always felt like I was having to look past them to see the action.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Pole Day View Post
    Maybe he'll meet the same fate as other schmucks running their mouths and acting like fools there: he'll get beaten senseless.

I'll take him if it means no Johnny Weir and Tara Lipinski. Not a lot of fashion news to report on at an automobile race.
    "If you see you're gonna miss, grit your teeth."--Evel Knievel

Quote Originally Posted by Nigel Red5 View Post
    NBC has an entire sports package to cover and they've been doing an excellent job of cross promoting not only across motorsports but sticl and ball sports as well.
    That is how a network should do it as well.

In a flagstand somewhere in the Carolinas
    Quote Originally Posted by Pole Day View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by dalz View Post
    Maybe he'll meet the same fate as other schmucks running their mouths and acting like fools there: .
    He'll have a bad Ecstasy trip and wind up in the emergency room?
    Live like Dave

... --- ...
    I couldn't watch but I read more positives than negatives over NBC's coverage.

The first ICS event I'll be able to see is COTA. Excited to see what NBC does.
    ...---...

NBC did a better job than Fox

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by KevMcNJ View Post
    He'll have a bad Ecstasy trip and wind up in the emergency room?
    Now that would be a Rut diversion worth breaking away from the race for 30 seconds.