Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: NBCSN Coverage of The Rolex 24

NBCSN Coverage of The Rolex 24

Just an observation sure to be crucified, but I thoroughly enjoyed NBCSN's coverage of The Rolex 24. If they bring that kind of excitement to their coverage of The 500, it will be great!

Watching this weekend, I realized the difference between NBCSN and ABC is that the NBCSN reporters genuinely seem to have fun. Having a majority of the group being introduced to The Rolex 24, like will happen at Indy, was a major part of their enthusiasm.

Looking forward to May....

I dunno I think the 500 is fine without Calvin Fish, jokes/references to whomever you regularly golf with, Rutledge Wood, and the rest of the NASCAR inanity announcers.

Insider
    I thought it was a really cool thing to have the NASCAR crew out. Sure, they are already on the payroll so it makes it easy but it's a great way to share the love between different series.

One of my favorite things about Dale Jr. is you can really hear the passion in his voice.

While I understand the discontent around Rutledge, he is there to show the fan experience. I'm a huge racing fan but I've been off-put by the less than stellar times at both Iowa and Kentucky Speedway. Racing isn't the end all be all at the end of the day.

I was at the race this past weekend, but recorded the race from my Youtube TV Account, and watched most of the Sunday action on TV from my hotel room Sunday due to the storms. I too was impressed with what I saw minus Rutledge Wood. I am quite excited for their coverage of the Indy 500 this year and going forward.

I really enjoyed how they treated us like we are already race fans and just called the race. I only saw a couple hours of it, but I loved what I saw.
    Last edited by RHRfan#1; 01-28-2019 at 01:17 PM.
    World's biggest Ryan Hunter-Reay fan!

When not discussing opinions, I try my best to only post facts, if I post something factually incorrect please correct me with a source (if possible)

Quote Originally Posted by Rossfeld View Post
    I dunno I think the 500 is fine without Calvin Fish, jokes/references to whomever you regularly golf with, Rutledge Wood, and the rest of the NASCAR inanity announcers.
    Calvin Fish won't be commentating the 500. It'll be Leigh Diffey, Paul Tracy and Townsend Bell.

I doubt you'll see Fish but I'm 99.999999999999999999% certain you will see Rutledge Wood. I don't hate the guy and from some articles I've read on him he's quite the gearhead but he's found a place where NBC loves him and I don't think he's going away. I totally expect to see him in the Snake Pit.

I thought the coverage overall was excellent.
    I'd rather have 10% of the world interested in the ICS than 50% of US that NASCAR currently has

Formerly MikaF1fan BuddyCarSeries's Avatar
    I am very skeptical when NASCAR tv people do non-NASCAR races, but Dale and Steve Letarte did an amazing job. They had good incites on comparing the 24 to NASCAR and I think that helped NASCAR only fans who may've been watching. I don't want them on every IMSA race, but I do hope they come back next year because I thoroughly enjoyed them.
    To do something well is so worthwhile that to die trying to do it better cannot be foolhardy. - Bruce McLaren

Josef Newgarden 2 James Hinchcliffe 5 Conor Daly ?
    ATLANTA UNITED FC |||||
    #ParkedIt

The little bit I actually listened too was good. For the majority of the race I had the sound muted and listened to Hindy and crew. Much more enjoyable and informative than the NBC crew.
    RIP Justin! WWJCD

Calvin Fish was the pit reporter for the 1999 IRL season on Fox Sports Net
    "Paff has been closer to the mark than anyone will give him credit for."

Richard Kimble 11/18/2010

"Paff is far more right than any of you will EVER give him credit for.

As non politically correct and un IndyCar friendly as it is, it's the truth. "

SeeuInMay 12/29/2010

Quote Originally Posted by TimmyZ1 View Post
    I doubt you'll see Fish but I'm 99.999999999999999999% certain you will see Rutledge Wood. I don't hate the guy and from some articles I've read on him he's quite the gearhead but he's found a place where NBC loves him and I don't think he's going away. I totally expect to see him in the Snake Pit.

I thought the coverage overall was excellent.
    Btw if its not obvious enough Rutlege Wood is not there for "us". The hardcore race fan. He's there for the casual fan. We have Jon Beekhuis.

Quote Originally Posted by RHRfan#1 View Post
    Calvin Fish won't be commentating the 500. It'll be Leigh Diffey, Paul Tracy and Townsend Bell.
    I believe Dale, Jr. will be there, too.
    "I would really like to go to NASCAR. I really enjoy NASCAR and if I could be there in a couple of years that's where I'd want to be." - Jeff Gordon (after testing a Formula Super Vee)

Quote Originally Posted by TimmyZ1 View Post
    Btw if its not obvious enough Rutlege Wood is not there for "us". The hardcore race fan. He's there for the casual fan. We have Jon Beekhuis.
    Is there room/need for it? The 500 usually isn't so dull that you're looking for stuff to cut away to and fill the time. And I think Beekhuis is excellent in his non-live stuff of explaining how bits of the cars work.

And I think if you're going to go 'casual fan', as in the sort of person who just watches it because it's An Event a la Super Bowl, Kentucky Derby, Oscars, whatever; you go the opposite direction of Rutledge. You get someone more mainstream/professional/anodyne for lifestyle-y stuff.

I commented in the race thread that I thought NBCSN did a really good job. They respected both the race and the audience, save for anything with Rutledge.
    The Ayn Rand of Indycar

No one had to badge the Offy.

Crapping all over threads since 2000.

Quote Originally Posted by Spike View Post
    I believe Dale, Jr. will be there, too.
    I believe he will be there too, however I was referring to the announcers in the booth. Do you know if Dale will be in the booth?

Coverage was terrific, so reminiscent of the old Speedvision days. Letarte was a bit annoying at times, but 1,000x better than if it were DW or Larry asking dumb questions. Dale Jr. acquitted himself well as did those in the pits.
    "If your car was a dog, then you had to figure it out and test your own limits. And we didn't go to a wind tunnel – we did it in the first turn at Indianapolis."

The NBC coverage was fantastic. They made 8 hours of rain/red flag interesting. My wife nicely puts up with me watching. I went outside yesterday morning to shovel snow off the drive way. She still had the race on when I came in. The NBC crew kept her interested. This bodes well for the 500.

Voda, Earnhard, and Letart didn't try to present themselves as experts on IMSA. They came across as three racing fans who were expressing how impressed they were the product. They made it clear to the viewers that these are interesting cars being driven by excellent world class drivers. The announcers in the booth were the same. There was no "us versus them" in any possible way.

The coverage was fine. The use of cross-over NASCAR people was wise.

As for the 500, well this is a very different event. NBCSN had 26 1/2 hours to fill, including 8 hours of red flag coverage and the event, with different classes and no clear leader as in other forms of the sport, is difficult to present. NBC will not do nearly as much coverage of human interest and side bars, nor as much "well in NASCAR they do this, but here they do that" stuff come May.

In a flagstand somewhere in the Carolinas
    Is there room/need for it? The 500 usually isn't so dull that you're looking for stuff to cut away to and fill the time. And I think Beekhuis is excellent in his non-live stuff of explaining how bits of the cars work.
    There will probably be time for filler during cautions and long clean ups if needed.

And really there will be moments during the race where they can cut away for 90 or 120 seconds to show some infield flavor.
    Live like Dave

I can't stand Rutledge Wood. Every time I see him I ask myself "where did they find this doof". So - anyone know how he got this gig?

Kart racer, Indyfan 1988- SteveK51's Avatar
    Justin Bell and Tommy Kendall doing their Torque Show over the weekend pretty much confirmed that NBCSN should have hired them to provide an upgraded version of the Rutledge portion of the presentation.

Fox/Speed always had their circle of favored teams who hogged most of the attention, but it felt like that circle shrunk with NBCSN. Maybe I'm wrong, I was dividing my attention between the TV and Magnus Racing. It also got tiresome watching Zanardi get a level of coverage that would've made Danica jealous.

It was nice to have larger stints of coverage between the commercial breaks. The Indycar commentators did well to complement the IMSA regulars in calling the event. And the overall production seemed to be an improvement.

Would I rather have Fox back? Absolutely not. But there's room for improvement.

Quote Originally Posted by KevMcNJ View Post
    There will probably be time for filler during cautions and long clean ups if needed.

And really there will be moments during the race where they can cut away for 90 or 120 seconds to show some infield flavor.
    If the racing is anything like last year then they will have 20 or so laps before anything happens between pit stops

Quote Originally Posted by RHRfan#1 View Post
    I believe he will be there too, however I was referring to the announcers in the booth. Do you know if Dale will be in the booth?
    I don't think he will be in the booth but JMO they may try and do another version of the "Peacock pitbox" and have him there.

I thought the coverage this weekend was good. I liked how the NASCAR guys were talking about the differences. Also fun to hear them talk about the similarities. Its racing, there is a lot of cross over. I felt they were very respectful. Bring Rutlage to the 500. This event is much more than a race. That story needs to be told. Like it or not, those casual fans have made our favorite event the largest sporting event in the world. I liked hearing Dale JR talk about setting in DP and the comparison to a Nascar. I would like to see him do the same. Actually set in an Indy car and talk about the differences. Heck lets have Mario take him for a ride! I was very pleased to see the cross over promotion. I was very pleased to see everyone talk about Indycar, Nascar, and IMSA. I'd like to see TB and PT at the Daytona 500. Like it or not, every sport has there Crown Jewels. They are all something special. It is good for everyone to recognize the good job each series is doing. I have always wanted to go to the Rolex 24. Honestly, after watching this weekend, I want to go more.

In a flagstand somewhere in the Carolinas
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Paff View Post
    If the racing is anything like last year then they will have 20 or so laps before anything happens between pit stops
    I had a great weekend last year.

Right up until lap 20 or so and I realized I was hot and bored.

Quote Originally Posted by KevMcNJ View Post
    I had a great weekend last year.

Right up until lap 20 or so and I realized I was hot and bored.
    Yep.. the restarts were the only exciting part of the race.. when the cars cannot pass and you go 20 laps straight without a single pass throughout the entire field it gets boring really quick.. that is not oval racing

Dirt biker/carp hunter Stick500's Avatar
    I have never watched so much of the Daytona 24 as I did this year. For some reason I found it all quite interesting and I bet it had a lot to do with the better coverage. Or maybe it's because it's colder than F in my part of the country and I wasn't out fishing or skiing.

I have a good feeling Dale Jr. is going to be blown away by every moment of race day at Indy.
    "Charging a man with murder here was like handing out speeding tickets at the Indy 500."- Capt. Willard, Apocolypse Now
    "Ain't nuthin' like [being with a woman], 'cept maybe the Indy 500."- Bunny, Platoon
    "To alcohol! The cause of- and solution to- all of life's problems."- Homer J. Simpson

Rutledge Wood is horrible, hope he's nowhere near the 500.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveL View Post
    Voda, Earnhard, and Letart didn't try to present themselves as experts on IMSA. They came across as three racing fans who were expressing how impressed they were the product. They made it clear to the viewers that these are interesting cars being driven by excellent world class drivers. The announcers in the booth were the same. There was no "us versus them" in any possible way.
    This perfectly sums up my thoughts as well. I liked the coverage.

While I can understand the animus toward Rutlege, he's actually grown on me. He's as good as anyone for those color segments that are at best tangentially related to the race. Rut in the Snake Pit could be interesting.
    “America is all about speed. Hot, nasty, badass speed.” - Eleanor Roosevelt