Thread: 2019 Indy Lights presented by Cooper Tires grid

2019 Indy Lights presented by Cooper Tires grid

Well, it's 38 days until the first race of the season at St. Petersburg and there is only 3 drivers officialy signed. I realize that most of the field could be signed on the week prior the first race, but... In the best case scenario I can't see any major grow in terms of car count. Pelfrey's plans are unknown, Carlin is silent and even Andretti has only Ryan Norman in its stable at the moment.

P.S. I think, that it's pretty silly, but some joker put Team Penske, SPM and DragonSpeed on 2019 Lights Wikipedia page
    Nastalgia & headache.

Quote Originally Posted by nospheratez View Post
    Well, it's 38 days until the first race of the season at St. Petersburg and there is only 3 drivers officialy signed. I realize that most of the field could be signed on the week prior the first race, but... In the best case scenario I can't see any major grow in terms of car count. Pelfrey's plans are unknown, Carlin is silent and even Andretti has only Ryan Norman in its stable at the moment.

P.S. I think, that it's pretty silly, but some joker put Team Penske, SPM and DragonSpeed on 2019 Lights Wikipedia page
    I'd be okay to see F4 and F3 take over the ladder system, currently there are too many steps to the ladder which has made it harder for young drivers and families to budget their futures.
    "when you no longer go for the gap, you are no longer a racing driver" Ayrton Senna

Twitter: _6thgear_

Quote Originally Posted by sean26 View Post
    I'd be okay to see F4 and F3 take over the ladder system, currently there are too many steps to the ladder which has made it harder for young drivers and families to budget their futures.
    The problem with that is that USF2000 and Indy Pro 2000 are healthy - much healthier than USF3 or USF4.

Quote Originally Posted by drdisque View Post
    The problem with that is that USF2000 and Indy Pro 2000 are healthy - much healthier than USF3 or USF4.
    Let's see how many show up for the open test... although the F3 car count was a bit grim last year the F4 numbers were in the 30s

Who are the 3 drivers?
    "Paff has been closer to the mark than anyone will give him credit for."

Richard Kimble 11/18/2010

"Paff is far more right than any of you will EVER give him credit for.

As non politically correct and un IndyCar friendly as it is, it's the truth. "

SeeuInMay 12/29/2010

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Paff View Post
    Who are the 3 drivers?
    Norman for Andretti, De Melo for Belardi and Veekay for Juncos.

Hey guys -

I'm working on an update now to see where things stands at this point for Indy Lights (and USF2000 and Indy Pro 2000). I'll have my first podcast of the year out early next week.
    Respectfully,

Rob Howden
    IndyCar Radio Network
    www.roadtoindyinsider.com
    Mazda Road to Indy Announcer
    Twitter: @robhowden / @MRTI_Insider
    Phone: 519-223-1152

Actually a Fifth as BN Racing confirmed that David Malukas would be in their car this week buried in their press release about their recently signed USF2000 driver. 5 cars confirmed in January is pretty average for Indy Lights the last few years. Unfortunately, there's only one more "definitely running" car left (#98 Andretti/Herta) and now that I write that, with Colton moving onto IndyCar I don't know if that car is truly a "definite" anymore. There's a second Belardi seat open and they want to run it but won't for free and same with the second Juncos seat. I think best case if all 3 of those cars cars get filled and we have 8 cars on the grid at St. Pete that's the best likely scenario. A Pelfrey car or 4th Andretti car would be a surprise bonus at this point and I think the chances of a Carlin car are pretty slim at this point considering they can't fully fund their second IndyCar. I do see them having an inside track possibly on any European driver that's left out to dry of competitive rides in F2 and decides to go to Indy Lights, that Carlin name does still carry some cache.

Beating a dead horse here i know but they can't continue to trot out 8 car fields, it is just not a good look. At one time quite a few of the full time Indy Car teams ran at least a car, but when they pulled out it just dried up.

O'Ward is showing that signing a deal super late can still get you a great ride in the series.
    "Lyrically, I'm Mario Andretti on the mo-mo" - A Tribe Called Quest

Quote Originally Posted by gottastayfly View Post
    O'Ward is showing that signing a deal super late can still get you a great ride in the series.
    It was in 2017, when O'Ward been signed by Team Pelfrey a couple of weeks prior the first race. Last year he was with Andretti all winter long.

However, I believe, that at least we will see Parker Thompson either in Andretti or Pelfrey car.

Perhaps Indy Lights should switch to LMP2 cars or something.

Quote Originally Posted by gottastayfly View Post
    Everyone who wins the Indy Lights championship gets a Indy Car deal the following year.

Still remains to be seen how "great" this ride actually will be anyway. Its only because they have some affiliation with Andretti that they may be competitive. They don't have any real sponsorship it appears and those teams normally don't hang around long. We will see.

Racer reports, that we have our sixth driver now.

https://racer.com/2019/02/04/belardi...kohl-for-2019/

Also the article mentions, that Belardi Auto Racing is about to run three cars in 2019.

or Pelfrey car.
    heard pelfrey sold all their cars...can anyone verify?

Quote Originally Posted by ndcrs View Post
    heard pelfrey sold all their cars...can anyone verify?
    Here is the latest quote from their fb page:

Lots of exciting announcements for Team Pelfrey coming soon!
    Really hope, that it's not about sold cars

Well, I think, that we can write off Team Pelfrey now... There is only F1600 listed as the series they compete in. And there wasn't any kind of anouncement about their complete withdraval from RTI. Such a shame.

Here is the entry list for testing at COTA. Few surprises included.

If the testing lineup turns out to be the season lineup, this is one of the weakest fields of drivers in Lights we've seen in a long time.

I'm interested though in Dalton Kellett's number choice of #67. I know he's been working on a Indy 500 deal.

Logan Sargeant IMO is like Newgarden coming back to the states in 2011. He could be a future star and was incredible in karts. The rest of the field is kind of... meh. I would have liked to see Oliver Askew move up as well as Parker Thompson.

T&S is showing Oliver Askew in the 28 car. Didn't see his name brought up. Nice kid.

Quote Originally Posted by Crown Point View Post
    T&S is showing Oliver Askew in the 28 car. Didn't see his name brought up. Nice kid.
    I'm wrong. Askew is a surprise entrant for Andretti according to Howden. That's good!

We do get a third Andretti car but not the #98.

Logan Sargeant is an 18 year old American who has exclusively raced in Europe, mostly in Formula Renault Eurocup and Formula Renault NEC, with some solid results. He has tested a GP3 car and my guess is he hasn't been able to find a GP3/FIA F3 ride that aligns with his budget and aspirations.

Julien Falchero is 21 years old. He has two full years of GP3 experience, in 2017 he finished 15th with 16 points for Campos. In 2018 he ran a full season without scoring points with Arden. Granted, those are somewhat crappy teams so the opportunity to get into a relatively good ride in Indy Lights may be somewhat revolutionary.

But yeah, no standout talents here. Claman has a bit of an advantage in being in a good ride and having significant experience in both IndyCar and Indy Lights.

I would say the only other driver with a chance is VeeKay, but he faces an uphill battle with no teammate. The 3 Andretti drivers are relatively weak and may lead to a regression of Andretti's reputation in the series. This could be a huge season for Belardi as I feel they have the most solid lineup although Kohl is still pretty raw.

Malukas and BN have jumped in and been competitive in every series they've gone to, but Lights is a big step.

Quote Originally Posted by CrankShaft View Post

I'm interested though in Dalton Kellett's number choice of #67. I know he's been working on a Indy 500 deal.
    Sweet. 52 starts, 0 wins and 17 laps led all with Andretti.

One top 10 points finish (7th last year - last among full-time drivers)

No thanks.

Does anyone has any info on Victor Franzoni? What are his plans for 2019? Is he now out off RTI?

Quote Originally Posted by drdisque View Post
    But yeah, no standout talents here.
    You're kidding right?

Although small, this field is stacked...

Quote Originally Posted by sean26 View Post
    You're kidding right?

Although small, this field is stacked...

The field is puny in numbers (again) and the field ON PAPER isn't very impressive from a talent standpoint. I would be shocked if there's anyone in this field even close to the caliber of Herta or O'Ward. And the next tier of Urrutia and Telitz are better then all of this year's group too.

I think Askew is really the only guy I'd say has a legit chance to do anything in Indy Car. A few are so young and have done so little in cars that they are really in the deep end of the pool. They seem to be a few steps up the ladder from where they should truly be.

Its why if I'm looking for a new driver (and can afford to look for a new driver and "budget" plays no part) Indy Lights is about the last place I'm looking. Sorry but I'm looking at sports car drivers (and there are dozens of guys there who could if given a chance, make good Indy Car drivers) and F1 junior series (since ovals aren't important anymore in Indy Car).

I know that's harsh but until Lights becomes more then a 10 car series with only 3 or 4 teams total (which is all its basically been lately) then its not a truly viable entity. Not saying there can't be a few good talents to come through (the top 2 last year have potential even if the field itself was small) but its still got a long way to go. And not sure how much longer we can wait for it "to be better next year".
    Last edited by CrankShaft; Today at 01:35 AM.

Does anyone has any info on Victor Franzoni? What are his plans for 2019? Is he now out off RTI?
    Yep, driver coaching for Rinus Veekay and hanging around Juncos operation I think is his current plan this year, at least as far as open wheel is concerned. I believe he also serves as one of the available driver coaches and consultants for USF2000 drivers.

He did drive in the 24 Hours of Daytona for a Brazilian GTD team (running a Ferrari) so it's possible he'll run other endurance races with them as they did pretty well and rolled the car back on the trailer after Daytona. He's a pretty hot shoe for only holding an IMSA "Silver" license (which is required for GTD teams - a "Bronze or Silver" driver must qualify the car and run a certain portion of the race), which makes him desirable in GTD. Of course, if he's too successful then he'll get upgraded to Gold and be worthless to GTD teams.