Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: "Significant" Firestone announcement on 2/6

I’ll take this opportunity to announce the Firestone Fire Hawk Indy 500 summer performance tires suck! I have a vibration since I had these tires installed with multiple attempts at balancing the vibration out. Firestone, if your reading this, I want a refund lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Boweimer View Post
    I’ll take this opportunity to announce the Firestone Fire Hawk Indy 500 summer performance tires suck! I have a vibration since I had these tires installed with multiple attempts at balancing the vibration out. Firestone, if your reading this, I want a refund lol.
    Mine have been great.

Quote Originally Posted by lyrictenor1 View Post
    Mine have been great.
    Tons of grip but damn the vibration. My run flats rolled perfectly, but poor grip. Go figure.

Quote Originally Posted by midtown View Post
    I would have gone for Scott's '95 car myself.

Loved that car. I was a big fan of both Scotts. Really thought I was going to see a 1-2 that day.
    America's biggest Scott Goodyear fan.

Blog Entries
    sorry, wrong.
    Last edited by Jim Wilke; 02-03-2019 at 06:08 PM.

Blog Entries

Sounds like bad luck. Mine have been excellent! Great grip, very smooth on long trips, and look awesome on my Scion Tc.

I hope you get your issue fixed.
    "Beauty is in the eye of the Beer-holder."

15G. Rahal
    5 J. Hinchcliffe
    18. S Bourdais
    98 A. Rossi

I thought the same.....at least a possibility.

Quote Originally Posted by Tree0404 View Post
    With Fuzzy's gone, perhaps Firestone will be Ed's primary sponsor

My dad had a car that looked just like that in his garage... It wasn't that one though. It was the one Firestone/Patrick used for testing before coming back to the series. Also the one they used for all the press leading up to their return. I had a poster on my wall of the car that was in my dad's garage.

That car or one like it is or was in the front part of a Hampton Inn downtown at Maryland and Meridian streets.

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.7656...7i13312!8i6656
    Silly Season scorecard and Where are the Indy 500 winning cars! http://inrd.gotdns.com/indystuff/

Quote Originally Posted by PaddockMoose View Post
    That car or one like it is or was in the front part of a Hampton Inn downtown at Maryland and Meridian streets.

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.7656...7i13312!8i6656
    That's very likely it! I found the pic on tripadvisor. Distinguishing feature is the American Flag on the roll hoop. My dad sold it around 2005 or 2006...was wondering where it ended up.

STUPID WIND GUST!!! Man, I was pulling for Scott Pruett hard at the end. With all the injuries, etc - I thought he was the most deserving winner.
    Every race I run in is in preparation for the Indianapolis 500. Indy is the most important thing in my life. It is what I live for. - Al Unser Jr.

Everything I ever wanted in my life, I found inside the walls of the Indianapolis Motor Speedway. - Eddie Sachs.

Tomorrow is the big day.

Mario Andretti will run for ECR for the 500. And will compete in the race without changing the right rear tire ever.

And he will still beat his grandson.

That enough methanol for the trackforum speculation fire? (Above is in jest, unless it really is not in jest, well except the right rear tire thing)

Blog Entries
    I'm going to take a shot in the dark and predict that tomorrow's announcement is a renaming of Firestone to Waterstone. Mario and Ed Carpenter will be there to promote a WWE event that will happen during the same time as the Indy 500 but instead it will be held on the golf course.
    "The only good horsepower is usable horsepower.."

I would look for a facility that balances the tires and wheel when still on the car. And to check tire for roundness.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by LowRyter View Post
    I would look for a facility that balances the tires and wheel when still on the car. And to check tire for roundness.
    I had the same issue with a set of Indy 500 radials my wife had put on our old minivan several years ago. 2 of the 4 ended up being out of round. They would balance out on the machine and then even the techs would feel the bounce when they drove it. took weeks but we finally got 4 that would ride right.

Early renewal for 5 years and they are building a separate facility for race tires. Interesting

Adam SternVerified account @A_S12FollowingFollowing
    @A_S12

More

@FirestoneTires has signed an early five-year renewal with the NTT IndyCar Series through ’25. As part of the deal, @Bridgestone is also revealing plans to build a new manufacturing facility in Akron that will serve as the future home of where it will build racing tires.
    I'd rather have 10% of the world interested in the ICS than 50% of US that NASCAR currently has

a nice long term commitment is always welcome, as is creating new jobs. Good news on both sides as far as I'm concerned.
    World's biggest Ryan Hunter-Reay fan!

When not discussing opinions, I try my best to only post facts, if I post something factually incorrect please correct me with a source (if possible)

I would assume there are provisions in there that would keep it a one-make series throughout their tenure.

7 years is the total commitment. Through 2025. This is pretty significant.

And all the know it all's said that after the 100th race, the series would die and there would only be the Indianapolis 500 . Miles and Boles have really turned things around and it looks like they have laid the ground work for continued success from the managerial side for several years to come.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by RHRfan#1 View Post
    a nice long term commitment is always welcome, as is creating new jobs. Good news on both sides as far as I'm concerned.
    IIRC, wasn't the racing tire operation producing Indycar tires the only thing left in their former HQ facility in Akron? They built the new technology center after HQ moved to Nashville.

Good news
    Vive la Republique.

Quote Originally Posted by Nigel Red5 View Post
    IIRC, wasn't the racing tire operation producing Indycar tires the only thing left in their former HQ facility in Akron? They built the new technology center after HQ moved to Nashville.
    That is a great question and I honestly don't know the answer to it. Perhaps somebody else here could confirm this.

Quote Originally Posted by Larrymgs View Post
    Miles and Boles have really turned things around and it looks like they have laid the ground work for continued success from the managerial side for several years to come.
    And Fry... He deserves plenty of praise too.

Quote Originally Posted by TheOtherSide View Post
    And Fry... He deserves plenty of praise too.
    Yes, of course.

And all the know it all's said that after the 100th race, the series would die and there would only be the Indianapolis 500 .
    I don't recall anyone saying any such thing. I do recall seeing a very few posts about a rumor that said after the 100th running of the 500 the H-G family would sell the speedway (and the series); something quite different from what you're suggesting.

...it looks like they have laid the ground work...
    Groundwork.

...it looks like they have laid the ground work for continued success from the managerial side for several years to come.
    Given all that continued success, when would you predict the series will finally become profitable?
    "I would really like to go to NASCAR. I really enjoy NASCAR and if I could be there in a couple of years that's where I'd want to be." - Jeff Gordon (after testing a Formula Super Vee)

"Significant" Firestone announcement on 2/6
    For insignificant values of significant.

Quote Originally Posted by Spike View Post
    I don't recall anyone saying any such thing. I do recall seeing a very few posts about a rumor that said after the 100th running of the 500 the H-G family would sell the speedway (and the series); something quite different from what you're suggesting.

Given all that continued success, when would you predict the series will finally become profitable?
    In his defense, I have seen multiple posts over the years on this forum that have claimed what he is suggesting others have said..doom and gloom, the series going under in a few years, it's just a matter of time, etc. Of course, I am also paraphrasing and don't have specific examples. Does that matter?

Does anyone know for a fact whether the series is or is not profitable? It could be. It might not be. Do you know? Is there a reason I should be picking apart that comment? I don't know. I need a beer.

Quote Originally Posted by Moid View Post
    In his defense, I have seen multiple posts over the years on this forum that have claimed what he is suggesting others have said..doom and gloom, the series going under in a few years, it's just a matter of time, etc. Of course, I am also paraphrasing and don't have specific examples. Does that matter?

Does anyone know for a fact whether the series is or is not profitable? It could be. It might not be. Do you know? Is there a reason I should be picking apart that comment? I don't know. I need a beer.
    I got plenty here. I'm always up to sharing.

Yet another round of good news for the series. Firestone's commitment to 2025 is great for stability and for branding for both parties. Looks like the hard for work is paying off for Jay Frye, Miles, etc.
    And don't forget the heat!