Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Indy 500 Entry List

Team Helio... We Believe 3Paige14's Avatar
    What an impressive list so far! Can't wait!

Quote Originally Posted by SactoIndyFan View Post
    Exactly. If they are start going to have 40 entries again, it’s time to go back to 2 week qualifying. Move the GP to the first Sunday in May where it doesn’t conflict with the Derby.
    Conflicts with IMSA at Mid-Ohio though. There are a few drivers/teams that will be involved.
    My Twitter Profile (feel free to follow): www.twitter.com/3Paige14

My Blog: http://femaleindycarfan.blogspot.com/

Proud Supporter of Helio Castroneves, Simon Pagenaud, Tony Stewart, AJ Allmendinger, and Meyer Shank Racing + Many Others in the Motorsports World

Lionheart and Badass Forever

Supreme Hoser of Pick 5 senorsoupe's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Grizzlor View Post
    Two weekends is too much. In reality the previous format where Top 9 was Set and they ran on Saturday would be better than what we have now. They changed it up because the bumping was never happening due to low car count. Now they should change it back.
    Agreed, I don't think two weekends of qualifying is necessary but they should really bring back the pole day on Saturday, bubble day on Sunday format if they have 40 entries

Blog Entries
    Yeah if we have 36+, which we definitely should, then the format needs to at least go back to like 2011. I say Saturday 11-6 everyone qualifies with 3 attempts max. At end of the day cars 1-9 are fast 9, and cars 10-24 are locked into the field & in their starting positions. On Sunday from 11-12 do fast 9 shootout, then from 1-6 have cars 25-36+ qualify for final 9 spots, with each getting 3 attempts max. That way Sunday has all the drama with pole & bumping.

40 miles north of the greatest track that has the Greatest Spectacle In Racing.
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by senorsoupe View Post
    Agreed, I don't think two weekends of qualifying is necessary but they should really bring back the pole day on Saturday, bubble day on Sunday format if they have 40 entries
    This ^^^
    "You just don't know what Indy Means", Al Unser Jr.

"That's why to me it does feel more precious when an American wins it...", Michael Andretti

Quote Originally Posted by kevin99 View Post
    This ^^^
    Agreed. This would be best way to do it.
    Real drivers don't need fenders!

Simple qualifying format.

Saturday, Open qualifying and set the fast 9.

Sunday:Finish Noon to 4pm is your bump time.
    430pm to 6pm- Fast 9.

You want a good crowd, Sunday pulls in more people than Saturday. Its been proven the last 2 years. Just don't waste time requalifying the field. Use that time for the bumping and open practice. Plus it gives NBC a lot of drama to televise.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SactoIndyFan View Post
    Exactly. If they are start going to have 40 entries again, it’s time to go back to 2 week qualifying. Move the GP to the first Sunday in May where it doesn’t conflict with the Derby.

Yes
    "I wasn't going to finish 2nd today...2nd was not in the cards...I was either going to win or i was not going to finish at all..." Eddie Cheever-Victory Lane,Indianapolis Motor Speedway 1998

Quote Originally Posted by 767 View Post

430pm to 6pm- Fast 9.

You want a good crowd, Sunday pulls in more people than Saturday. Its been proven the last 2 years. Just don't waste time re-qualifying the field. Use that time for the bumping and open practice. Plus it gives NBC a lot of drama to televise.
    Certainly makes the most sense if you ask me.
    "If your car was a dog, then you had to figure it out and test your own limits. And we didn't go to a wind tunnel – we did it in the first turn at Indianapolis."

Blog Entries
    Agree

Saturday sets the pole

When the field is full bumping starts

First day qualifiers start in front of second day qualifiers

And if it’s TV that’s demanding the Sunday pole day thing hell with it stream it Instead

You want a good crowd, Sunday pulls in more people than Saturday.
    On tv, yes.

At the track, no.

Saturday allows people more flexibility since one may have to get home early on Sunday to get ready for work the following day.

I would prefer the following format which is not dissimilar to the 2011-ish format:

Saturday: From 10am to 4pm, everyone (that wants to) makes at least one qualifying run. Top 9 move on to the Fast 9 from 4:30pm to 6pm. Positions 10 through 33 are set based on any runs that happened earlier in the day. Positions 1 through 9 are determined based on Fast 9 times.

Sunday: Bump day. Anyone who hasn't qualified may not do so and try and bump their way in the field. Anyone wishing to improve on their position may withdraw their spot and go again knowing that if they go slower than 33rd, they are now out.

Quote Originally Posted by 3Paige14 View Post
    What an impressive list so far! Can't wait!

Conflicts with IMSA at Mid-Ohio though. There are a few drivers/teams that will be involved.
    In the grand scheme of things, one or two drivers missing the GP because of IMSA isn’t anywhere on the same national scale as going up against the Derby.
    RIP Dan Wheldon :(

"Anybody who says the IndyCar Series is not the best championship in the world is a complete idiot in my book." ~Dan Wheldon

"It's a discussion board, not a society ball." ~Skypigeon

I agree. I've never liked the idea of making the top qualifiers qualify twice.
    "Only a fool fights in a burning house."-Kang

"If you listen to fools....The Maaahhhhb Ruuuules....."-Ronnie James Dio

Team Helio... We Believe 3Paige14's Avatar

430pm to 6pm- Fast 9.
    This is an excellent idea.

I'll be happy with any format as long as they move bumping to Sunday & give the teams 2 days to make the field.

Quote Originally Posted by 3Paige14 View Post
    This is an excellent idea.

I'll be happy with any format as long as they move bumping to Sunday & give the teams 2 days to make the field.
    With two days of qualifying, Hinch would have made the field - and quite possibly Pippa would have, too (reportedly they found the problem with the car that night.) Neither of them had been consistently the slowest during practice.
    I'm from a place called the internet. Nothing disturbs me.

430pm to 6pm- Fast 9.

Yeah, I'm on board with this. Great as it was back in the old days of two weekends, I think building up to end with the pole shootout is probably the most compelling TV product they could offer at this time. Give teams two days to qualify so there's a chance to fix things, and then Sunday you have drama with the bumping/sad people who miss the show, but then you get to end with high speeds and the excitement of winning the pole. That sounds like a pretty good afternoon of TV if you ask me.

If the weather is bad Saturday or Sunday, move the Fast 9 shootout to the end of whatever good day there will be and do Bump Day Monday or whenever. And if only 33 cars show up, just let whoever drinks the most beers at the Foreigner show start up front.

Is it official/confirmed that Penske is running a 4th entry for Helio? I don't remember seeing that confirmed.
    All Roads Lead to Indy...

Insider
    Quote Originally Posted by IndyRob View Post
    Is it official/confirmed that Penske is running a 4th entry for Helio? I don't remember seeing that confirmed.
    https://www.autosport.com/indycar/ne...n-at-indy-2019

Yes, but it's been so long that the announcement is long lost.

Right now we are actually at 30 confirmed press released entries. And that is if you count Kimball. Who announced he was Part Time but didn't say he was doing the 500 or not. But I can't imagine he won't be.

http://inrd.gotdns.com/indystuff/silly.htm
    Silly Season scorecard and Where are the Indy 500 winning cars! http://inrd.gotdns.com/indystuff/

deleted, posts above mine already address this.
    World's biggest Ryan Hunter-Reay fan!

When not discussing opinions, I try my best to only post facts, if I post something factually incorrect please correct me with a source (if possible)

ah yes. all good indicators from right after last years race. I guess we'll wait for their 2019 car unveiling for the definitive answer.

ah yes. all good indicators from right after last years race. I guess we'll wait for their 2019 car unveiling for the definitive answer.
    Jenna Fryer tweeted Helio and Josef Newgarden will be sponsored by Pennzoil. I wonder if we'll get 2 Yellow Submarines.

IMS has the qualifying weekend schedule on their website. Sunday listed as 2:45pm-4:45pm positions 10-33 then the Fast 9. The 10-33 re-qualifying is probably the most boring event at IMS. That definitely needs tweaked or gotten rid of.

https://www.indianapolismotorspeedwa...ications-day-2

Insider
    https://www.motorsport.com/indycar/n...330936/?nrt=86

It's a Shell sponsored car too.

Blog Entries
    It’s definitive

Miller says McLaren will likely be a 1-car effort.

https://racer.com/2019/02/06/robin-m...-racing-hpd/3/

If Ricardo is trying to run 2 cars full time, I would expect two at IMS for Juncos.

https://racer.com/2019/02/06/kaiser-...t-laguna-seca/

Tony Donohue‏ @TonyD1070

Hearing former driver and owner Eric Bachelart is interested in running Oriol Servia in this years #Indy500 .. is seeking technically alliances with another team. More to come.
    4:42 PM - 8 Feb 2019

https://twitter.com/TonyD1070/status/1093988488243040256

Quote Originally Posted by Grizzlor View Post
    Tony Donohue‏ @TonyD1070

Hearing former driver and owner Eric Bachelart is interested in running Oriol Servia in this years #Indy500 .. is seeking technically alliances with another team. More to come.
    4:42 PM - 8 Feb 2019

https://twitter.com/TonyD1070/status/1093988488243040256
    Seeing Conquest Racing return to the series would make me very happy, even if only for the Indy 500. Always like Eric and his fighting spirit to keep that team alive. I remember at Richmond I think the year of unification, they figured out the setup and got to the front with both cars for a bit and dictated the pace. Ultimately, I think both crashed (lots of yellow that night) but it was very cool to see that little team up front.