Thread: Australian news piece on Indycars coming back to Surfers Paradise

Australian news piece on Indycars coming back to Surfers Paradise

I'd rather have 10% of the world interested in the ICS than 50% of US that NASCAR currently has

Blog Entries
    For some reason after seeing that report it makes me feel as though I have underestimated just how much some Australians want Indycar back on the Gold Coast.
    "The only good horsepower is usable horsepower.."

I found it interesting that Alan Jones mentioned the track itself, beyond the cost. Frankly, it was never a great configuration, and the Supercar V8 configuration is a non-starter. I believe development prevents the "old" config from being used, but they need to come up with something better than they currently run down there.
    "If your car was a dog, then you had to figure it out and test your own limits. And we didn't go to a wind tunnel – we did it in the first turn at Indianapolis."

still would like that to be the season finale of the IndyCar World Series

No better place to have a world finale than a place that absolutely loved the event

I wonder NTT wants some Pacific Rim races as they do a lot of business in Malaysia and Australia. If they could pair Australia with Sepang then the promoters could split shipping costs with one event covering the inbound leg and another covering the outbound. That could give the Queensland government enough savings to sell it to the public. "Look, we're bringing it back, but it will be cheaper than before."

It's an eight-and-half hour flight between Sepang and Surfers Paradise, and so if the teams wanted to do it as a ten-day road trip it wouldn't be horribly expensive logistically speaking. Also, if were the first events of the season they could put the cars on a ship for the outbound leg, air-freight the cars to the next leg and then ship the cars back by boat. Maybe they could include Long Beach in there some how so the teams could travel to three races with only one trip out west.

If you ship by boat, you are talking a month on the water. The Pacific is huge.
    "Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved
    body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting
    "...holy $^!+...what a ride!"
    >

Pfffffttttt.

Quote Originally Posted by houstonracefan View Post
    still would like that to be the season finale of the IndyCar World Series

No better place to have a world finale than a place that absolutely loved the event
    So you want the finale of an American series to air at 2 or 3 am Eastern Standard Time? That would be tough, my DVR would def be set.

BAN SHREDDED CHEESE! MAKE AMERICA GRATE AGAIN!

Cannot have it in October, too bad for Supercars.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jakester View Post
    $217 million over 18 years which is about $12-13 million a year. I doubt it was stayed like that during it whole duration though but instead steadily climbed as the years went on. Count inflation into that too and who knows how much it would cost per race now. I hope it does happen though and the February date sounds like a good choice.

If IndyCar can pull off a financially stable event overseas that's great health has improved significantly in the last few years

Quote Originally Posted by Boweimer View Post
    So you want the finale of an American series to air at 2 or 3 am Eastern Standard Time? That would be tough, my DVR would def be set.
    I want the final of the IndyCar WORLD series to be held in a place that LOVES IndyCar racing, and that highlights the international nature of the series.

Surfer's Paradise fits the bill

"From a report filed by Nine News Gold Coast, the 18-year visit by IndyCar cost the government $217 million AUD, and returned an estimated $750 million AUD into the local economy."

That is a massive ROI!

I want the final of the IndyCar WORLD series to be held in a place that LOVES IndyCar racing, and that highlights the international nature of the series.

I think it's better to have the first race at Surfer's, like they use to do. A potentially championship-deciding series finale really does need to be in the US to ensure enough media coverage.

Quote Originally Posted by neti1 View Post
    I think it's better to have the first race at Surfer's...
    Surfers.

A potentially championship-deciding series finale really does need to be in the US to ensure enough media coverage.
    Agreed; for that and other reasons.
    "I would really like to go to NASCAR. I really enjoy NASCAR and if I could be there in a couple of years that's where I'd want to be." - Jeff Gordon (after testing a Formula Super Vee)

Please explain why a season finale in Australia at a 2:00 am live broadcast (EST) is a good idea?
    Last edited by Boweimer; 02-06-2019 at 10:04 AM.

I do not find "WORLD" in the title of the current series.
    https://www.indycar.com/
    Yes, it was in a past series title.

The current series is a US based series, which is working primarily to build (rebuild?) its US audience. IMO the series finale should not be held overseas, especially with a huge time shift.

I do not find "WORLD" in the title of the current series.
    https://www.indycar.com/
    Yes, it was in a past series title.

The current series is a US based series, which is working primarily to build (rebuild?) its US audience. IMO the series finale should not be held overseas, especially with a huge time shift.
    I am saying we should go back to being the IndyCar World Series, and a finale in Australia would make that credible. Plus, I'd rather not have the race there a mere 3 weeks before F1s race

An Australian race does not have to start at 2 AM. It could easily start at 10 PM EDT, maybe even 9 PM EDT. Be over between 11 and 12

An Australian race does not have to start at 2 AM. It could easily start at 10 PM EDT, maybe even 9 PM EDT. Be over between 11 and 12
    Exactly. In February the time difference is better for TV. 11 am in Surfers is 8pm ET, 5pm PT.

A nice convenient time slot for the NBC folks to put the race on NBCSN and directly up against their very own early season Sunday Night Football. I see no issues or concerns there from the series or the broadcast partner.

Quote Originally Posted by PPGfan View Post
    A nice convenient time slot for the NBC folks to put the race on NBCSN and directly up against their very own early season Sunday Night Football. I see no issues or concerns there from the series or the broadcast partner.
    now why would there be a race on MONDAY in Australia?

now why would there be a race on MONDAY in Australia?
    LMAO

Blog Entries
    That is a massive ROI!
    That is but I like to see just how much money Surfer's made each year. I wonder if more money was made in the beginning and dropped off or did it stay steady even throughout The Split.

Honestly, it seems like Australia has a lot problems.

60 minutes Australia reports a housing crisis
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UvJufKoTrOk

And an ongoing energy crisis
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w7BMaG3zyVo

A recycling crisis
    https://www.theguardian.com/environm...ling-going-now

A "Strawberry Tampering Crisis"
    https://www.barfblog.com/2019/02/bs-...pering-crisis/

They have flooding in one part of the country and a drought in the other.

Maybe we should just stay away from Australia for a while

And the crocodiles. Don't forget the crocodiles.

Have you experienced the flies there?

Quote Originally Posted by Aeron View Post
    Maybe we should just stay away from Australia for a while
    Outside of a big check there is no real reason to race there to begin with
    "Paff has been closer to the mark than anyone will give him credit for."

Richard Kimble 11/18/2010

"Paff is far more right than any of you will EVER give him credit for.

As non politically correct and un IndyCar friendly as it is, it's the truth. "

SeeuInMay 12/29/2010