Thread: Nice piece on Jay Frye and how he is planning on the future of Indycar

Nice piece on Jay Frye and how he is planning on the future of Indycar

I'd rather have 10% of the world interested in the ICS than 50% of US that NASCAR currently has

BAN SHREDDED CHEESE! MAKE AMERICA GRATE AGAIN!

I don't know, after reading that I'd say he may be getting too much credit.

There are too few oval races, the cars are spec again with sloth-like change as part of the "plan", and the cars have not gotten faster. Has attendance increased outside of the 500?

On top of that, last year's 500 was pretty much a parade, albeit one where they were strung out.

As a fan, what I look for in Indycar is not staying the same. I want to see innovation and speed. I want to see an edge.

Blog Entries
    I personally don't mind the slow and steady approach. I rather have Indycar having all the boxes checked then trying to hurry things up for the enjoyment of fans or because pressure coming from the teams.

I think the real challenge is making the TV situation work and maintaining the teams that are currently in Indycar. Indycar is cheaper then many forms of motorsport out there but there are still many teams that are barely surviving with what they have or can find.
    "The only good horsepower is usable horsepower.."

Quote Originally Posted by millrace View Post
    Has attendance increased outside of the 500?
    Yes, at quite a few tracks. The two races I went to (Mid-Ohio and Pocono) both had big increases. Mid-Ohio had its biggest crowd in years and Pocono continued its steady increase.

I agree that the fanatic base, which is a great percentage of what there is of a fan base, gives whatever Indycar does an A+. And I know that everyone connected to Indycar including Mario thinks this is the right path. The author of the story seems to be one big fan. What I want to hear is someone with no connection to Indycar to offer an objective opinion on what they're doing, how it is progressing and what the future looks like. Find someone that covers the NHRA, IMSA or bowling and see what they think. Yes NTT came on and said great things about their new partner. Get out there and find some people from Verizon, IZOD, and any of the other sponsors that were involved with the series or a team and ask them what they thought when they were in and what made them leave.

I'm with millrace on seeing the lack of ovals as a continuing problem. I still think that when the cornerestone of the sport that draws far and away the most attention and biggest audience is a big high speed oval then the majority of the races are RC/SC it confuses the newest fans that are introduced to the sport by the 500 and see only a couple of other races the rest of the year on ovals that feature the big speeds. If diversity was the way to go there should have been some serious gains in the past 15 years. I just don't believe there is a pool of new fans who are seeking a diverse schedule.

Great that Firestone resigned but were there any potential replacements? Did being the sole potential tire supplier offer any kind of great financial deal or was Indycar just pleased to eliminate the possibility of being left empty handed?
    "You can't arrest those guys, they're folk heroes"
    "They're criminals"
    "Well most folk heroes started out as criminals"

Quote Originally Posted by Z28 View Post
    Get out there and find some people from Verizon, IZOD, and any of the other sponsors that were involved with the series or a team and ask them what they thought when they were in and what made them leave.

I'm with millrace on seeing the lack of ovals as a continuing problem. I still think that when the cornerestone of the sport that draws far and away the most attention and biggest audience is a big high speed oval then the majority of the races are RC/SC it confuses the newest fans that are introduced to the sport by the 500 and see only a couple of other races the rest of the year on ovals that feature the big speeds. If diversity was the way to go there should have been some serious gains in the past 15 years. I just don't believe there is a pool of new fans who are seeking a diverse schedule.

Great that Firestone resigned but were there any potential replacements? Did being the sole potential tire supplier offer any kind of great financial deal or was Indycar just pleased to eliminate the possibility of being left empty handed?
    So what are you complaining about? Indycar has a title sponsor, appears to be more teams and cars, more than 33 cars at Indy, Firestone re-upped. Remember Bernard was flirting with Cooper Tires? As a fan, why do you care if a sponsor leaves? Do is it affect you personally financially?

I think the one big piece missing is a solid 3rd engine manufacture. Indycar knows this.
    "Any time that I can be out at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway, you're going to see a smile on my face." - Dan Wheldon

"It's crazy how the Indianapolis Motor Speedway can make you so emotional. I went from the highest of highs to the lowest of lows in less than 24 hours." - Alex Tagliani

There are realistically only 2 unsigned ovals that are suitable for Indy cars that will provide those "big speeds," Michigan and Fontana. Both need to be back, but Belle Isle supposedly precludes going to MIS for some reason, and for frack's sake stop trying to schedule Fontana in the SUMMER....it was a great season finale, and that's where it should have been kept.
    "Only a fool fights in a burning house."-Kang

"If you listen to fools....The Maaahhhhb Ruuuules....."-Ronnie James Dio