View Poll Results: Will you be paying for the NBC Sports Gold Indycar package

Voters
146. You may not vote on this poll
  • YES

84 57.53%
  • NO

62 42.47%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Will you be paying for the NBC Sports Gold package for Indycar?

Team Helio... We Believe 3Paige14's Avatar
    I'm planning on it. Seems to me like quality content that's worth the price you're paying.
    My Twitter Profile (feel free to follow): www.twitter.com/3Paige14

My Blog: http://femaleindycarfan.blogspot.com/

Proud Supporter of Helio Castroneves, Simon Pagenaud, Tony Stewart, AJ Allmendinger, and Meyer Shank Racing + Many Others in the Motorsports World

Lionheart and Badass Forever

Quote Originally Posted by Automotive View Post
    Some of the comments here are crazy.

For $50 per year, and as someone mentioned, basically the cost of one beer per race weekend, this is CHEAP!

Compare this to one month's cable bill minus the internet, and it not only pays for itself in ONE MONTH, I have gas money to get me part way to the 500.

YES.
    Value depends on the individual.

For a person who gets every bit of IndyCar news that they can, listens to/watches old races online at work, grabs every single IndyCar Podcast available, and has a countdown timer going on their cell phone for the first episode of TOGA this year - for those 14 people, the IndyCar Gold package represents extraordinary value.

I don't drink or 'go out', so 'a beer a weekend' analogies do nothing for me. For those that lead baller lifestyles and can afford to flush another $50, maybe it's not so bad either. But for a lot of people, $50 represents 12.5% of the way to disaster.

For the average fan, I think going from a free-platform growth oriented model (e.g. YouTube) to an exclusive-behind-a-paywall model represents a puzzling choice for IndyCar at this juncture. One that's targeted at extracting the most amount of money from IndyCar's hardcore supporters.

But the reality is that anyone posting in this thread hardly constitutes an 'average fan'. Posters on Trackforum, in my opinion, represent IndyCar's most die-hard fans. And the reception to the proposed Gold Package by those die-hard fans has been lukewarm at best. IndyCar should listen to that feedback. Again, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by MM658 View Post
    No.
    ESPN+ costs $5/month, can sign up or cancel month-by-month.
    Assuming your signed up for a whole year, that's $60 for every single sporting event that streams on ESPN+ (UFC, many college football & basketball conferences, NHL, MLB, soccer, tennis) plus practically every 30-for-30 that was ever made, plus every Indy 500 ABC broadcast (minus '72) going back to the mid-60's.
    Compare that to $55 for some practice & qual sessions, and the six-car-field Lights races, and basically nothing else at all.
    Quite frankly, I'd rather watch IndyCar practice, qualifying and the Lights races than all of that other crap on ESPN.

I still haven't decided. I'll probably buy it on a whim at some point. But this type of thing drives IndyCar further into being a niche sport that has hard-core fans but few casual fans. But really, most sports already are that - it's the times we live in.
    "They say you can't win them all. But I don't know why not." - Levi Jones

www.Indy500Database.com

Quote Originally Posted by pfc_m_drake View Post
    For the average fan, I think going from a free-platform growth oriented model (e.g. YouTube) to an exclusive-behind-a-paywall model represents a puzzling choice for IndyCar at this juncture. One that's targeted at extracting the most amount of money from IndyCar's hardcore supporters.
    Also realize these will be fully produced shows. Not just a fixed camera or the in-house feed with track announcers. Diffey, TBell and PT will be on air, with replays, interviews with drivers/crew chiefs, etc. This Gold content will look, sound and feel like an NBC or NBCSN production.

That provides more value for the hardcore than the old, free YouTube streams. Forgotten by some fans is that full TV shows cost a lot more money to make than simple YouTube streams with in-house cameras. That money must be raised somewhere, so the impression that IndyCar is strip-mining the wallets of hardcore fans is a bit wide of the mark here.

As of today I’m a “no”. That may change depending on driver announcements the next few days, but right now I barely have time to watch everything that has been available on the old TV package.
    “America is all about speed. Hot, nasty, badass speed.” - Eleanor Roosevelt

FYI, for folks that need the extra $$$, I routinely save a few hundo per year just by calling my ISP and explaining that times are tight and I need to bring my cable/internet package down in cost. 4 times out of 5, they just offer me a promo rate, the other 1 out of 5 I've been able to reduce my bill by *slight* reductions in channels and/or internet speed. A lot of cable/net plans run on "inertia" -- if you've been on the same one for more than a couple years you are probably overpaying. Worth a shot if you still have cable/net but the $50 is pinching your pockets.

For those claiming this further drives Indycar underground and will turn away fans in droves? Crazy talk. That is, unless I'm missing all the free, live-streamed practices for the NFL, MLB, etc. which folks like to hold up as "mainstream."

Quote Originally Posted by pk500 View Post
    Diffey, TBell and PT will be on air,
    Ha, ha, someone on Twitter asked if he could get a stream without those guys.

On the topic of value, in addition to the ESPN+ $5/month (subscribe or cancel at any time) comparison I gave earlier, here are some other comparisons.

Netflix is $13? $15? per month for the top-tier service, which gives access to mountains of content, much of it originally-produced. More than a person could watch in a month.

Another streaming service, the WWE Network (I know, not for everyone, but as an example of a niche product looking to "super-serve" the hardcore segment of an audience) is $10/month. For that, subscribers get access to a 24X7 stream - basically, a TV channel - plus thousands of hours of historical content on-demand, plus a Pay-Per-View event each month.

Cable channels -- you can't subscribe to them individually, but looking at the carriage fees they charge the cable companies is enlightening. ESPN charges the providers about $8/month per subscriber. Practically every other cable channel out there charges barely $1/month - some much less - to be included in cable lineups. Each of those channels provides 24X7 content. (Granted, the value of some of the content is minimal.)

Consider, then, that if you're a cable/dish subscriber with access to NBCSN, you're essentially paying about $12 PER YEAR for that channel, which allows you to see live races, plus other sports content 24X7.

Compared to all of the above, I'd say $50-55 for P's and Q's and Lights "races" is extremely overpriced. The IndyCar season covers 7 calendar months, so this Gold package costs about $7-8/month -- almost as much as ESPN itself! For practice.

Services like this are designed to super-serve the hardest-of-the-hardcore audience base, thus monetizing content that would otherwise exist with no revenue generated. But, when about 33% of the people responding to this survey, which I would say are among the MOST hardcore of an already-niche market, are saying "thanks but no thanks," I'd say that should be a strong signal to IndyCar and NBC that they're over-charging for the service -- in my opinion.

"Value" is obviously a personal choice that varies by individual. Some wouldn't pay a penny for this service, others would probably be willing to pay over $100. There is no single right or wrong answer to the original question.

Nope.
    It's not how much the service costs for me but how much time I have or care to invest.
    Perhaps after the reviews come in I'll reconsider.

On the topic of value, in addition to the ESPN+ $5/month (subscribe or cancel at any time) comparison I gave earlier, here are some other comparisons.

Netflix is $13? $15? per month for the top-tier service, which gives access to mountains of content, much of it originally-produced. More than a person could watch in a month.

Another streaming service, the WWE Network (I know, not for everyone, but as an example of a niche product looking to "super-serve" the hardcore segment of an audience) is $10/month. For that, subscribers get access to a 24X7 stream - basically, a TV channel - plus thousands of hours of historical content on-demand, plus a Pay-Per-View event each month.

Cable channels -- you can't subscribe to them individually, but looking at the carriage fees they charge the cable companies is enlightening. ESPN charges the providers about $8/month per subscriber. Practically every other cable channel out there charges barely $1/month - some much less - to be included in cable lineups. Each of those channels provides 24X7 content. (Granted, the value of some of the content is minimal.)

Consider, then, that if you're a cable/dish subscriber with access to NBCSN, you're essentially paying about $12 PER YEAR for that channel, which allows you to see live races, plus other sports content 24X7.

Compared to all of the above, I'd say $50-55 for P's and Q's and Lights "races" is extremely overpriced. The IndyCar season covers 7 calendar months, so this Gold package costs about $7-8/month -- almost as much as ESPN itself! For practice.

Services like this are designed to super-serve the hardest-of-the-hardcore audience base, thus monetizing content that would otherwise exist with no revenue generated. But, when about 33% of the people responding to this survey, which I would say are among the MOST hardcore of an already-niche market, are saying "thanks but no thanks," I'd say that should be a strong signal to IndyCar and NBC that they're over-charging for the service -- in my opinion.

"Value" is obviously a personal choice that varies by individual. Some wouldn't pay a penny for this service, others would probably be willing to pay over $100. There is no single right or wrong answer to the original question.
    You're comparing apples to oranges.

PGA Tour and Monster Energy MotoCross offer the same thing albeit at a greater cost than the Indycar pass. Both offer more for the diehard fan, not the average viewer. If Indycar offered the same for free in the past, isn't $1 overcharging?
    "Any time that I can be out at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway, you're going to see a smile on my face." - Dan Wheldon

"It's crazy how the Indianapolis Motor Speedway can make you so emotional. I went from the highest of highs to the lowest of lows in less than 24 hours." - Alex Tagliani

Quote Originally Posted by Doyouloveit? View Post
    If Indycar offered the same for free in the past, isn't $1 overcharging?
    No. Supply and demand.
    If something is given away that the audience is willing to pay $X for, then charging $1 for it is not overcharging, by default. However -- charging more than the market will bear, is.
    As for apples/oranges, the comparisons are not supposed to be specific to the IndyCar fan base. Obviously, $7/month for P's and Q's is likely more appealing to an IndyCar fan than $10/month of wrestling, or $5/month of ESPN+ streaming would be to that same IndyCar fan.
    The comparisons I made are attempting to show the value that a person who's interested in any of the referenced products gets for the money.
    To an avid movie/TV watcher, how much value does a Netflix subscription provide? To an avid wrestling fan, how much value do they get for a $10/month subscription? Etc.
    To an avid IndyCar fan, how much are they getting for $7/month from NBC Gold? In my opinion...not enough!
    They should either:
    * increase the content (and I don't think they really can -- what else could be added that would provide significant value?)
    * allow a la carte pricing options , like $5/month or $3 per race event (this would help attract those with a time crunch, but is not likely because NBC Gold apparently doesn't work that way), or
    * lower the price.

There's also the discussion of opportunity cost, by giving up on trying to grab the casual fan with free content. But that's another discussion. And, that ship has sailed.

No
    RIP Justin! WWJCD

No. Supply and demand.
    If something is given away that the audience is willing to pay $X for, then charging $1 for it is not overcharging, by default. However -- charging more than the market will bear, is.
    As for apples/oranges, the comparisons are not supposed to be specific to the IndyCar fan base. Obviously, $7/month for P's and Q's is likely more appealing to an IndyCar fan than $10/month of wrestling, or $5/month of ESPN+ streaming would be to that same IndyCar fan.
    The comparisons I made are attempting to show the value that a person who's interested in any of the referenced products gets for the money.
    To an avid movie/TV watcher, how much value does a Netflix subscription provide? To an avid wrestling fan, how much value do they get for a $10/month subscription? Etc.
    To an avid IndyCar fan, how much are they getting for $7/month from NBC Gold? In my opinion...not enough!
    They should either:
    * increase the content (and I don't think they really can -- what else could be added that would provide significant value?)
    * allow a la carte pricing options , like $5/month or $3 per race event (not likely because NBC Gold apparently doesn't work that way), or
    * lower the price.

There's also the discussion of opportunity cost, by giving up on trying to grab the casual fan with free content. But that's another discussion. And, that ship has sailed.
    Avid movie/TV watcher....Netflix isn't enough, you need Hulu, Prime Video, HBO, Showtime, etc. Netflix is only a portion available for good content.

$7 per month for all practice, qualifying, Light races, Carb Day content, Indy 500 practices, etc., with TV commentators? Seems fair.

So will all qualifying be NBCgold exclusive? Or will they still be showing it on tv then the replay goes on NBCgold?

No, I think for the amount of content it's highly overpriced. I have ESPN+ and for $49.95 a year I can watch every CFL game, every MLS game, the FA Cup, an MLB and NHL game every day, more soccer and college sports than I can comprehend. My buddy has the NHL league pass and I believe he paid $119 and can watch hockey every night from October until April. Except for the most ardent, die-hard IndyCar fans (probably no more than couple of thousand) the package seems highly overpriced for the limited content you receive.

Quote Originally Posted by OhioSportsFan View Post
    No, I think for the amount of content it's highly overpriced. I have ESPN+ and for $49.95 a year I can watch every CFL game, every MLS game, the FA Cup, an MLB and NHL game every day, more soccer and college sports than I can comprehend. My buddy has the NHL league pass and I believe he paid $119 and can watch hockey every night from October until April. Except for the most ardent, die-hard IndyCar fans (probably no more than couple of thousand) the package seems highly overpriced for the limited content you receive.
    Again, Apples to Oranges comparision.

NBC Sports offers every race live. With ESPN+ can you watch CFL practice? MLS practice, MLB batting practic?

"Probably no more than a couple of thousand". That's funny.

Quote Originally Posted by Doyouloveit? View Post
    Avid movie/TV watcher....Netflix isn't enough, you need Hulu, Prime Video, HBO, Showtime, etc. Netflix is only a portion available for good content.

$7 per month for all practice, qualifying, Light races, Carb Day content, Indy 500 practices, etc., with TV commentators? Seems fair.
    Slightly OT but for my family at least we've cut down on the pricing but splitting everything up. I pay $15 a month for Netflix which my parents and sister us. My sister pays for Amazon Prime which she then gives access to me and my parents. Me and my sister rotate HBO (6 months on and off) and give that to my parents for free. None of us have interest in Showtime or Hulu.

Just an idea if anyone is looking to save money.
    I'd rather have 10% of the world interested in the ICS than 50% of US that NASCAR currently has

I was told my someone who worked for an MLS team around five years ago that they had approx. 15,000 subscribers nationwide for the MLS Direct Kick package that used to be available via your cable or satellite provider. Based on that number I don't think it's that much a stretch that a sport with a slightly larger fan base like IndyCar would only get a "couple of thousand" subscribers willing to pay to watch practice, qualifying and support races seeing all of the IndyCar races will still be on NBC/NBCSN

If I bought everything I want a la carte, the amount I pay for my current cable bill (with every conceivable channel possible) of around $220 (includes internet and phone too) would likely double. It needs to be a little more reasonable and/or needs to blow me away with features I have not yet seen.
    Supporting Indy Car racing since 1959

Does anyone know if they will be streaming in 4K?

I am on the fence as of now, leaning towards yes.
    "It’s a four-turn road course. It’s not an oval, and there are four different corners there. If you are a good oval driver, it doesn’t matter there" -TK

If you have a 4k firestick, it should my does.

Not so simple. You need to add another option "I live in Canada". It's weeks away from the start of the season and at the current moment there is no contract to broadcast here.

Praying they renew with Sportsnet and praying they do not to back to TSN where the race is tape delay broadcasted at midnight or something stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by tvracefan View Post
    If you have a 4k firestick, it should my does.
    If you say so.

I was a maybe on this because $50 is a bit overpriced for my viewing habits of practice/quals (which is, at best, 50% of the races). Still, I was considering it. But then I saw that there is no app for the Shield TV, which is what I use on all of my TVs (because to my knowledge, it's the only streamer that supports uncompressed Dolby Atmos and DTS:X content on my movie collection via Plex).

Could I watch on my phone or laptop? Technically, yes. But at that point, $50 to watch ~8 practice/quals on a tiny screen just isn't worth it. I'm a "no".

... --- ...
    No.

I don't watch practices or qualifying very much if at all. I don't have all the fancy gizmos to watch on anyway.

I'll watch on race day.
    ...---...

But you can't get NBCSN for $12/year. Here's what my cable company charges in order to get that channel:

Broadcast Basic $24.99 / mo
    Sports & Entertainment Pak $10.00 / mo
    Broadcast TV surcharge $5.99 / mo
    Sports surcharge $8.97 / mo
    Cable box $11.00 / mo
    plus various other taxes and fees

So you're paying a minimum of $60.95 per month ($731.40/year) to watch NBCSN. And now they want people to pay even more for IndyCar. It's not like NBCSN is sitting there showing live content 24/7.

EDIT: I forgot the Network Enhancement Fee of $2.50 / month, so just increase the above numbers even more.

I recall seeing "banquet" as included in the 500 coverage when I signed up. I assume that is the post-race awards banquet.
    So there is that. Many of us bemoaned the lack of that coverage in recent years.

Quote Originally Posted by Automotive View Post
    Some of the comments here are crazy.

For $50 per year, and as someone mentioned, basically the cost of one beer per race weekend, this is CHEAP!

Compare this to one month's cable bill minus the internet, and it not only pays for itself in ONE MONTH, I have gas money to get me part way to the 500.

YES.
    Man I'm with u. I was thinking the same thing! I would assume everyone here is a diehard INDYCAR fan and it finally seems as though the series is heading in the right direction. $50 is nothing for a full season of access. I would never tell anyone how to spend their money but it seems like a very small price to pay to support the sport u love and also get some nice return for it. If we (The diehards) aren't going to support it then nobody will and it'll be gone in a year or two. Come on guys, skip Starbucks a few times and it'll pay for itself...

Quote Originally Posted by Coogan4thewin View Post
    $50 is nothing for a full season of access. I would never tell anyone how to spend their money but it seems like a very small price to pay to support the sport u love and also get some nice return for it. If we (The diehards) aren't going to support it then nobody will and it'll be gone in a year or two. Come on guys, skip Starbucks a few times and it'll pay for itself...
    Would you pay $50 per year to have access to TrackForum?

Quote Originally Posted by Bobcat00 View Post
    Would you pay $50 per year to have access to TrackForum?
    That depends, who will be doing the live commentary, camera work and on-screen graphics?
    Sitting president of the "Sato Forever Faithful Fanclub"